• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio

this thread will be a ghost town tomorow night, gonna be here all alone (stupid work during new years) :(

I'm supposed to go to one of those places where 900 people get cramed into a small area with shitty music so loud you have to yell to be heard all while paying too much money for watery beer and trying to avoid a clingy girl you find unattractive who is ruining your already slim chances of getting laid. After hiding in the bathroom to avoid kissing said clingy unattractive girl at midnight, you get to drunkely stumble home in -10 degree weather without a coat because you gave it to a friend who thought a dress was approprate sub-arctic attire, and then you wake up with double pneumonia and you don't have health insurance so you avoid going to the hospital so it gets worse and worse and worse and then you die and likely go to hell for not being a good enough person.

So yeah, fuck you Beastie Boys. I don't want to party.

I'll be here too.

Danielsan

Like what?
Now when you start a Garden you start at the last Spectre you've collected and all plants that have bloomed in your previous play through are still there. In the PS3 version you had start anew every time. Each time getting one more spectre. They've also given you quick warp that allow you to return to the last plant you held on to. Honestly, it makes me sad. :( At least give a me classic mode or something.

There should be a way to sort your Steam library by platform ie Windows, Mac, Linux

There sort of is
qHMrmwW.png

Now when you start a Garden you start at the last Spectre you've collected and all plants that have bloomed in your previous play through are still there. In the PS3 version you had start anew every time. Each time getting one more spectre. They've also given you quick warp that allow you to return to the last plant you held on to. Honestly, it makes me sad. :( At least give a me classic mode or something.

Hmm, yeah I don't like that. That should be a setting/difficulty slider.

denx

Actually, there's weekly set pieces that always happen. This is one of them.

oh well

spoilering then

I don't know if you can actually do public executions but it would be pretty cool. That would should those backstabbing assholes!

Only ten minutes in.

Holy shit, Sleeping Dogs has really good writing - like really good - and one hell of an impressive voice cast.

And this thing came out of nowhere?

Arthea

I'll ask one more time since I haven't really heard much...Any opinions on Spacebase? Thinking of grabbing it while it's on sale.

What opinions, you build a spacebase! It's a must have game, if you can afford the price.
I'm serious! other than that it's an early access game, so opinions are non existent for obvious reasons. We proudly play only Finnish games!

Odrion

Banned
Not only that but with the best part of 500,000 sales of Arma2 as a result of the mod there are plenty of people willing to support Dean at $30 a pop and who know pretty much exactly what they are getting.
Exactly, people were buying Arma 2 at $30 last year just to play Day Z.

He knew what he was doing with that price.

Arthea

Can someone explain appeal of Dayz?
I wouldn't even consider buying such a game and not exactly because it's early access or MMO, I just don't see any reason to play it, even one.
Is it survival aspect that attracts people?

Odrion

Banned
I wouldn't even consider buying such a game and not exactly because it's early access or MMO, I just don't see any reason to play it, even one.
It's like larping but not in public.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Do you like getting shot in the face for your pork n beans?

if y - buy dayz
if n - do not buy dayz

Nzyme32

Some fellow GAFfers might remember that a couple of days ago I finished Aliens: Colonial Marines. This was a Marathon and I managed to finish the game. Here are my very small impressions:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94268317&postcount=3948

Today I finished Aliens VS Predator:

qfNuGxa.png

First of all, this game looks good. Really, for a 2010 game I must say I'm impressed. The is much more interesting story wise the Aliens: CM. You have 3 Separate stories in which you play as the Alien, the Predator and the Marine, respectively.

I started from the worst, the Alien Story. I say the worst because of the motion sickness. As you can imagine you can climb and walk on any surface. While this makes things interesting since you can go for a stealth approach the truth is, after awhile I was with so many nausea I had to stop every now and then. The fact that you can make sounds to grab the attention of the soldiers is a nice touch.

The Predator Story was my next one and it was my favorite from the 3. You are a "Young blood", a recently predator that was put on test and has now joined the high rank of predators. You can also distract the soldiers imitating the words that you learned from other soldiers (just like in the very first movies). Using thermal to seek soldiers sure gives you a great nostalgia from the first movies (almost 20 years ago?).

The Marine story can be seen as a simple FPS without anything new to it. You play as a rookie and if you ever forget who you are don't worry, they will remind you all the time that you are a Rookie. "Hey rookie!"

If you are a Aliens fan and you like their the movies, AVP is the game to chose if you are wondering between that and Aliens: CM. It's a much better game, with more variety and I dare to say it looks better.

For reference, here are the stats from both games, proving, I may be right:

WRYixpJ.png

VS

ipuW1N6.png

Those 13.000 players might proof that some people wanted a good Aliens game and again, nostalgia took the best of them. I truly hope they can one day deliver a good game with a nice, tense atmosphere that makes justice to the Aliens universe.

I have no idea what I'm going to play now, will need to do some digging on the Backlog and check some Steam sales too.

I read through most of this assuming you were talking about the only game I have played, "Aliens vs. Predator CLASSIC". I then looked it up when you said 2010 and realised there is a whole different one! I'm tempted to get it. I'm quite currious what your thoughts on AvP Classic if you have played it? It appears to have been take off steam. I had the game when it originally came out... maybe 1998 or 1999... my god, that is a scary bloody game, first game to have me litterally scared to play it but so thrilled at the same time. If you can get over the graphics, it's great!

Edit - it actually is on the steam store for £2.99! Bargin!

Derrick01

Banned

It's the best new way to troll people online. Instead of trolling in CoD where they'll respawn in 5 seconds you can hit them harder since there's permadeath here. You can wipe out someone's hard work that took several hours to do.

The survival ideas in Dayz would be so much more interesting in single player (minus the permadeath). That's why I like State of Decay and why Dead State is my most wanted game next year.

Alien8

Rise of Venice is 8€ at GMG.

The funny thing about it is that I'm thinking of buying it just because 'sounds' and 'looks' like Anno 1404 - Rise of Venice, that is the game that I'd really like to have on Steam.

Grief.exe

Its all about these interesting stories that come out of things.

People have these characters they create and invest time into, then they get into these tense situations that are set up naturally by the game. When you have plenty of supplies and food, and heading across the map to help your friend, when you run into a group of people in some remote town.
Do you trust them? Can they trust you? How do you approach the situation? I probably can't do the game justice, but it is quite compelling.

There is just nothing like DayZ, no other game thrusts you into an unforgiving world on a 150 square kilometer Russian countryside.

gabbo

I read through most of this assuming you were talking about the only game I have played, "Aliens vs. Predator CLASSIC". I then looked it up when you said 2010 and realised there is a whole different one! I'm tempted to get it. I'm quite currious what your thoughts on AvP Classic if you have played it? It appears to have been take off steam. I had the game when it originally came out... maybe 1998 or 1999... my god, that is a scary bloody game, first game to have me litterally scared to play it but so thrilled at the same time. If you can get over the graphics, it's great!

2010 is not worth it. Go on Gamersgate and get Classic or find the patches that allow AVP1998 to run on modern systems. You'll be better served.

Radio

If you play it like a survival game, it's the Euro Truck Simulator of survival games. You can wander around the wilderness for hours while looting towns and keeping watch for other players. It can be kind of relaxing, but the constant threat of another player keeps things interesting.

If you play it like a first-person shooter, it's pretty bad unless you're playing with friends.

If you play it like an RPG, it can be fun if you're with friends on a server with people who don't shoot on sight and will actually play around.

If you're a griefer, it's the GOTY.

The_Monk

Edit - it actually is on the steam store for £2.99! Bargin!

I was going to link the game on the Store for you. ;) Yes, 2.99€ in here. I never played the classic, I'm afraid, one that I remember playing was Alien Resurrection on the PS1. The screen said "this game is best played in the dark" and that always my first "hmm this might be scary" thinking.

Arthea

Thanks guys, I guess it is just one of those - not my thing - games.
If it was about space or dragons, or building civilization, or training legendary heroes, or saving queens in a game of thrones.

Unfortunately not all of the good backgrounds I've found at first glance translate well to the profile. :( A few of my personal favorites not shown:
I'm a big fan of the Monaco one, been using it for months even though I have no interest in Monaco itself. I just love me some skylines, especially with such a hot colour scheme.

I was going to to replace it with this Human Revolution background:

But like quite a few backgrounds, it has that problem where it doesn't properly gradient into the black backdrop that extends beyond the background, so there's a clearly visible seam on the bottom side and that's just unsightly.

Unfortunately the System Shock 2 Shodan encounter background does that too, it was one of my favourites early on but I couldn't stand seeing that.

ArjanN

I mucked around with Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army to farm some cards, and I enjoyed watching bullets smash through their brains and stuff, but fuck is this game hard, and the levels aren't set up for sniping at all. It seems like I'm just getting bumrushed by zombies and exploding fuckers and I rarely get a chance to snipe. Are the regular Sniper Elite games any better? What about the GW games? Another good Sniper games on the market?

Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army is specifically a co-op game and is all non-stop action.

It's a cheap spin-off they did to make some money/get something out before the real next Sniper Elite, and it sold really well, so they made another NZA2.

Sniper Elite V2 is better, and is actually based around sniping. Try the demo! :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Only ten minutes in.

Holy shit, Sleeping Dogs has really good writing - like really good - and one hell of an impressive voice cast.

And this thing came out of nowhere?
Aw yeah, have fun. One of the best surprises for me, bought it blindly on a sale and simply loved it. The first game I played after building a proper gaming PC earlier this year, ended up doing everything the main game + DLC had to offer.

ArjanN

2010 is not worth it. Go on Gamersgate and get Classic or find the patches that allow AVP1998 to run on modern systems. You'll be better served.

I think AVP 2010 comes the closest to the tone of the Aliens / Predator 1 movies in presentation at least. The game has some issues but it's worth it if you're a fan IMO.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My friends activity tab is now a whole lot more fun with all of these new GAF'er friends.

Also, this is something I sent friends feed yesterday they may not see everyday:

Added over 500 games on my Wishlist yesterday.

Arthea

My friends activity tab is now a whole lot more fun with all of these new GAF'er friends.

Also, this is something I sent friends feed yesterday they may not see everyday:

Added over 500 games on my Wishlist yesterday.

I got tired simply by scrolling down!
Did you spend all night at this?

I would get interested in Guacamalee, after it went on sale. I should have read more into that game earlier when it was on sale.

Also, I've been having at ton of fun with Mass Effect 2. I really hate sci-fi games/movies, but the Mass Effect series usually don't have too much sci-fi stuff that it irritates me. I played Mass Effect 3 before 2, so I mostly know how this game ends. I'm still having fun with it regardless.

One thing I like about it more then ME3, is the good and evil choices. It really does add to what can be said in conversations, and actually effects the story (or at least dialogue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom