• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

Steam up:

acn0ru12.gif

Steam down:

bflipoutrofhr.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The store better be back up before the new vote ends because I still need to buy Shelter.

Doesn't matter, votes shut down. Which again: I'm wondering what they're going to do about the voting/cards for it.

Danielsan

Doesn't matter, votes shut down. Which again: I'm wondering what they're going to do about the voting/cards for it.
Wait, what, why? What did I miss? What about Paper Please? :(
I go out for Christmas dinner a couple of hours and all of the sudden everything is in flames.

TheSeks

Wait, what, why? What did I miss? What about Paper Please? :(

Steam when it was up and I reloaded the vote said:
Community’s Choice voting has ended.
Experiencing voting withdrawal? You can still rate up content on the Community Hubs and vote for games on Greenlight.

Means you don't get a card vote or something since they took it down.

yoshizzle

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Its funny that Amazon and GMG have being destroying Steam in the sales department for like 2 years now.

Really what it is is that Valve asks companies to participate. They set the discount. Valve takes 30%. The dev takes 70%. Valve's portion covers some degree of costs.

With Amazon and GMG, they have essentially no operating costs. So the same discount on the developer's side can also involve the retailer giving up some of their portion to get the lower overall price.

Like, imagine you started a company called ModbotShop.ru and you signed all these devs and all you did was give out Steam keys and your payment processor took 3%. If you can keep server costs down, which you can, you can discount 25% from Valve's price without losing money.

FACE

Banned
I read these posts and then purchased the game.

Steam wants to torment me and hold off Spelunky in this sale?

This is what happens.

That's great, that's just fucking great, man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some pretty shit now, man.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
SOMEONE BUY ME BORDERLANDS 2 AND I'LL DRIVE OVER TO STEAM HEADQUARTERS AND TASER THE SERVERS BACK TO LIFE

THIS IS MACHO MANS FAULT

Falifax

HEY KIDS, WANNA DIE?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition -- MB-93C39D8C6E2DC532 - Taken by user237

luiztfc

Do you guys think there's a chance of DayZ getting discounted? I really want to buy it now, but I'm afraid it'll be on a sale later.

TheSeks

Do you guys think there's a chance of DayZ getting discounted? I really want to buy it now, but I'm afraid it'll be on a sale later.

Unlikely. It's "Early Release."

Buy it now before Bohemia surely Jacks the price up like they did Arma 3.

Zeliard

That's great, that's just fucking great, man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some pretty shit now, man.

hahaha

Honestly, out of all the Steam games I've bought during this sale (and that's quite a few), I'm actually curious to try Aliens: CM more than most others. I just have to see what it's all about.

FACE

Banned

Considering the "THIS ALPHA IS PRETTY SHIT RIGHT NOW" warning Bohemia put on the game's store page I'd say that it is unlikely that DayZ will be discounted anytime soon.

Kadayi

Banned
And then it died again.

*chortles*

So much for gloating there then

Gotta say, shit move on Valves part to whoever thought that free L4D2 was a good idea, least of all during the midst of the Christmas sales...that had to know they were going to get hammered on bandwidth surely....

Xhorder

So these are the games I bought so far:

- Recettaer: An Item Shop's Tale
- Speedrunners
- Psychonauts
- Costume Quest
- Stacking
- The Bridge
- Skyrim
- Castle Crashers + DLC
- Braid
- Steamworld Dig

Played Psychonauts a bit to get the Christmas achievement. Finished this game years ago on the original Xbox. Loved it and I think it's still pretty good. Turned on Costume Quest for the Christmas achievement.

Not sure about Speedrunners... Played it for a few rounds and got bored already. I'll try it again at some point, give it another chance.

Played Braid on the Xbox 360, but since this is my main gaming machine right now it's nice to have one of my favorite games in my collection. Will play it again.

Also played Metro Last Light that I acquired during the last sale a few weeks ago. Beautiful game with nice gunplay, rich world and great atmosphere. Will continue this one.

I guess i'll check out Recettaer and Steamworld Dig later this week. I was glad to see the latter one arrive on Steam after I read all the good things about the 3DS version.

Plays XCOM. Takes comfort break. Hm, perhaps Valve have put 50p in the meter while I was away. Tries to see what card just dropped *nope*. Tries to access Store *nope*.

Guise, I think we need a whip round. Valve put 50p in the leccy meter and it's already run out. Guise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom