• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Happy new year for those of us in 2014. I'm sure the rest of you will get there one day too.

Happy New Year, Todd, and to the rest of SteamGAF for when they eventually join us here in 2014.

Here's to another great year of sales, pricing errors, surprise releases, friendly banter, generous gifting and a whole lot of PC gaming discussion. May it also be a safe and happy one for you all. Cheers! :)

Enco

Hey gnomed, you won the Don't Starve I gave away via ModBot yesterday. It looks like you traded that key to a Russian who is now on my friend's list. If that's the case, that's really not cool.
How did you find out?

Personally I don't see the issue. They won the key and can do whatever they want with it. Sure it may not be in lines of being a good sport but you're giving the key away in the first place. If you specify it's only for the winner to play then it can be seen as morally wrong.

_hekk05

Banned
I could be wrong, keep the torches and pitchforks nearby but don't pick them up yet.

And if I'm wrong, maybe I need to be blacklisted for crying wolf. Part of me doesn't care, but I bet that most of the 46 other people that entered probably wanted the game for themselves.

Archie+McPhee+Angry+Mob+Play+Set.jpg

derExperte

How did you find out?

Personally I don't see the issue. They won the key and can do whatever they want with it. Sure it may not be in lines of being a good sport but you're giving the key away in the first place. If you specify it's only for the winner to play then it can be seen as morally wrong.

Afair if someone redeems a gift in your inventory or a key via a Humblebundle link he/she gets automatically added to your friends list. And it's kind of an unwritten rule here that you only take keys for yourself. I don't see a huge problem if it's a game everyone already has but trading something like Don't Starve? No, don't.

Happy New Year, Todd, and to the rest of SteamGAF for when they eventually join us here in 2014.

Here's to another great year of sales, pricing errors, surprise releases, friendly banter, generous gifting and a whole lot of PC gaming discussion. May it also be a safe and happy one for you all. Cheers! :)

Well said!

How did you find out?

Stump has stated previously that ModBot is intended for fellow GAFers, not 'friends and family' thereof.

Eeeh keep the pitchforks down people. It messes the holiday feels

Uh-huh.

BruteUA

How did you find out?

Since the game was given as a Steam gift, the redeemer is automatically added to the giver's friend list when they activate the key.

You're right, I probably just won't give any more keys away.

liezryou

Hey gnomed, you won the Don't Starve I gave away via ModBot yesterday. It looks like you traded that key to a Russian who is now on my friend's list. If that's the case, that's really not cool.

Confirm this? That's just fucking stupid if he did that, instaban from all giveaways.

Copons

How did you find out?

Yeah but you know, modbot's giveaways are an astonishing display of generosity, and it seems horrible to me that people (I'm not necessarily talking about gnomed) would spoil it to gain some profit over people who genuinely would like to play that game.

And I'm talking as one who a couple of times abused of modbot, entering (and winning) a couple of giveaways of games I wasn't (and still am not) able to play. And I feel like shit for that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Witcher 2. What other game would you say it's similar to? I've heard a lot about it but don't really know much. Is it a story, watch the cutscenes kind of game? If so, not interested. But if there's some good gameplay in there, I'm in.

I know, only $5 but still.

_hekk05

Banned
Yeah but you know, modbot's giveaways are an astonishing display of generosity, and it seems horrible to me that people (I'm not necessarily talking about gnomed) would spoil it to gain some profit over people who genuinely would like to play that game.

And I'm talking as one who a couple of times abused of modbot, entering (and winning) a couple of giveaways of games I wasn't (and still am not) able to play. And I feel like shit for that.

Ehh. I don't really care if you give it to a friend or family. To me, trading it on the marketplace is going too far. Also only grab the ones you want to play or are interested in.

soontroll

Banned
Witcher 2. What other game would you say it's similar to? I've heard a lot about it but don't really know much. Is it a story, watch the cutscenes kind of game? If so, not interested. But if there's some good gameplay in there, I'm in.

It has a great story and great cutscenes, but it's not a story and cutscenes kind of game. There's plenty of gameplay.

derExperte

You're right, I probably just won't give any more keys away.

Because of one incident? I mean I understand that you're disappointed but even if true we've had a pretty good run so far. Of course some shady activities probably never get discovered but I don't think there's a lot of abuse.

Anteater

It's more of a rpg game with a focus on story and quests with some dialogues and decisions making, similar to bioware games in that aspect I would say. Combat isn't anything great but it's also not too bad.

BruteUA

Because of one incident? I mean I understand that your disappointed but even if true we've had a pretty good run so far. Of course some shady activities probably never get discovered but I don't think there's a lot of abuse.

No, I'm just saying that until the sale crowd goes away and we return to our regular programming.

Copons

Ehh. I don't really care if you give it to a friend or family. To me, trading it on the marketplace is going too far. Also only grab the ones you want to play or are interested in.

Yeah, basically what I think.

For me too giving keys to friends should be more of a gray area, but Stumpo's "rules" and the actual impossibility to control that, made me adapt to the common behaviour.

Of course, trading or selling is just shit and should be awarded with a good ol' permaban.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
How did you find out?

Personally I don't see the issue.

It goes against the goodwill of thread, the idea is that you take a key or participate on a raffle for a game you want to play. This behaviour in my opinion is far from that.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
The last part of your post directly contradicts the first part. If you're grabbing a game for a friend, by definition you aren't interested enough/don't want to play it enough to use it yourself.
And "you" don't care, but the thing is, there are other people who (surprise!) may have actually wanted to play that game. It's dickish to snatch it from them only to toss it to a friend so you can get the pat on the back for the gift even though it's the result of someone else's generosity.

If you really want to pick up a key for a friend, wait until the key has gone unclaimed for a few hours. Even better, make a warning post before you do so—"Hey, that Mirror's Edge key's been sitting there for six hours. I have a non-GAF friend who wants it, are there any objections?" Disclosure is good.

Or just wait until the free-for-all post Stump makes monthly with unclaimed keys. No one cares then.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Still no cheap Alpha Protocol and I doubt it's going to show up.
Oh well. Maybe next time. :)

Currently playing Dark Souls, Zelda: ALBW and Castle of Illusion and i've scored like eleven games for under fourty euro's
Good times, good times. :)

BruteUA

I'm sorry to have disrupted the flow of the thread and brought negativity. I've taken action on my end to prevent further unpleasantness, and no longer care.

So let's try again:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BruteUA, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Don't Starve -- MB-25E0EABFBB315382 - Taken by hohoXD123. 46 entrants total.

t1388508346z1.png

Baconmonk

Everyone go vote on Ys! It will be my last purchase this sale (aside from the inevitable last day rush.)

So far Guacamelee and State of Decay have pleased me greatly for the price, maybe I can grab Castlevania Los if it gets another flash/daily.

Jawmuncher

I'm sorry to have disrupted the flow of the thread and brought negativity. I've taken action on my end to prevent further unpleasantness, and no longer care.

So let's try again:

Sweet can't wait to win this and give it away!
In seriousness though nice of you to do another giveaway even though you don't have to.
To anyone entering for the game, It's a lot of fun. Easily the best "survival" type game that I know of.

UGH. Keep going back and forth on Deadly Premonition. On the one hand, I own it already. On the other hand, it's the 360 version without the Director's Cut additions, and I haven't played it yet. On the other hand, the PC version is a shitty port. On the other hand, Durante fixed it. On the other hand, it apparently still crashes, needs to use WINDOWS 98 compatibility mode, and no more patches are expected from the sounds of things?

Maybe I should just save my money, it's not like the game's going anywhere. Right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
BruteUA, you're a kind person. Don't let a little mischief get you down.
It has a great story and great cutscenes, but it's not a story and cutscenes kind of game. There's plenty of gameplay.

It's more of a rpg game with a focus on story and quests with some dialogues and decisions making, similar to bioware games in that aspect I would say. Combat isn't anything great but it's also not too bad.
Thanks. So Mass Effect kind of? I've never played those games. They don't really interest me. But maybe I should give it a shot.

Jawmuncher

UGH. Keep going back and forth on Deadly Premonition. On the one hand, I own it already. On the other hand, it's the 360 version without the Director's Cut additions, and I haven't played it yet. On the other hand, the PC version is a shitty port. On the other hand, Durante fixed it. On the other hand, it apparently still crashes, needs to use WINDOWS 98 compatibility mode, and no more patches are expected from the sounds of things?

Maybe I should just save my money, it's not like the game's going anywhere. Right?

In the same boat and decided to wait.
It's not going anywhere and I bet by summer it'll be 75% off.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Dude, you are not at fault here, in fact, is the complete opposite. People trading keys taken from modbot should be blacklisted by the community, there is always someone abusing the system but luckily the list is short, and that's inherit of all systems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No one cares if someone jacks a Mirror's Edge Origin code or whatever--and in turn, those codes have no resale value so no one really would. Friends and family isn't really fitting in the spirit of the service, but personally it's not something that would cause me to take action because at least it's a person who legitimately wants the key they're specifically entering for for its properties as a game. Entering for a key to enrich yourself through trading with a stranger seems like engaging in a form of scummy arbitrage to me. I'm sure it happens a ton, but it's especially conspicuous if it's happening for a major, competitive game raffle. :/

If this is something that keeps happening I would consider changing the community blacklist to be applied by default and then allowing people to opt-out, rather than the current status quo of opting-in. It's not ideal, and I would hate for it to come to that, but if the average raffle is being scammed, then the average user should be protected from scammers. :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thank you so much to EmergentFocus for Bit Trip Fate gift out of the blue :D

And with that my Bit Trip collection is actually complete o/

soontroll

Banned
BruteUA, you're a kind person. Don't let a little mischief get you down.

Thanks. So Mass Effect kind of? I've never played those games. They don't really interest me. But maybe I should give it a shot.

I've never liked Mass Effect but I loved Witcher 2. For $5 it's definitely worth a shot. More likely than not you'll like it.

Cheddahz

Banned
Sorry I didn't get on yesterday, a lot of things happened and it turned out to be a horrible day

On the topic of Steam, I've been playing too much Cook, Serve, Delicious! and kinda hoping something else goes on sale that I'm interested in

DedValve

Banned
Has tomb raider been on sale yet? Will it be? I'm wondering if I should jump on the Amazon sale which ends today...

I just bought Witcher 1 and 2. Never played these games before, hope their good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pixeljunk Eden is pretty cool, I dig "synesthetic" games and it's been a while since I played one of these. I was slightly confused about some gameplay details at first, which was made worse by the fact that the instructions are only for mouse control and I'm using a gamepad, but after reading on it online a bit it's all clear now.

Semi-OT: I'd sacrifice a goat to have Rez on PC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Has tomb raider been on sale yet? Will it be? I'm wondering if I should jump on the Amazon sale which ends today...

I just bought Witcher 1 and 2. Never played these games before, hope their good.

at least 2 times already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom