• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Why vote for Tomb Raider? It's $8 on Amazon right now.

I voted for Nether, game looks really cool.

qM7sWSH.png

This is a mistake, right? They aren't seriously expecting people to vote for a 99 cent discount!?

lol! That rug pulled out from under me!

If only they'd reset the votes when they do this

Not fair to anyone to not reset the votes.

This man knows what's up! :)

If anyone has been interested in either/both of these games but been on the fence/waiting for a better price then I strongly recommend that they bite at these prices.

Both are excellent games with many fun hours of gameplay to be had. Treat yourself. Go on, you know you want to!
Two of my favorites, ashamed to say I haven't finished either

Never got back to MotN after switching to PC, and rage-quit XCom after losing Jack Reacher and Lara Croft on the same mission

Hard to decide between two. The only real ninja stealth game or brutal turn based tactics?

Decisions...decisions...

_hekk05

Banned
Two of my favorites, ashamed to say I haven't finished either

Never got back to MotN after switching to PC, and rage-quit XCom after losing Jack Reacher and Lara Croft on the same mission

Hard to decide between two. The only real ninja stealth game or brutal turn based tactics?

Decisions...decisions...

Why not both? Just eat a few less meals next week

Can I deselect these in the respective game menus? So if I wish to play the vanilla game I can? Or once it's added I am then stuck with that content in the game whether I wish it to be in that playthrough or not?

Sorry for the noob question but I'm a noob to DLC and pc gaming so there you are.

Link Man

Banned
Well, even if tomorrow is the recap day, we still have five more rounds of Flash Sales and Community votes, so there's still a chance of seeing something new.

Jawmuncher

GEEZ these Ys downloads are fucking huge. For anyone who knows my current predicament. I suppose I can try and see if I can get them all done within the month.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I see the responses to your question above, but I'd like to know what the best Ys to play is period, not just including the steam sale options. I've been wanting to give the series a shot lately and I see it just got a new entry as well. Should I play that over any of these or is one of these the best option?

Origin and Oath in Felghana are generally considered the best the series has to offer, but there are a lot of people who also like/prefer Seven, and Celceta (the most recent release on Vita) builds on Seven's gameplay and structure.

So really, any of those four. You could kind of split the two into categories since they play differently. Origin/Felghana on one side and Seven/Celceta on the other. And I & II in another category for retroness.

kcp12304

Banned
Interesting ideas, great period Hollywood ambiance, realistic face tech, story is compelling for the most part. Interrogation sequences are hit or miss, the open world lacks much of anything to do, the gun play is mediocre, and the pc port of this game is pretty rough.

I enjoyed it when I originally played it though. Sometimes the setting and ambiance can compensate for deficiencies in everything else, for me (similar to how I feel about Bioshock Infinite).

I totally agree. The game is a flawed gem for me. Great for people who like story focused games (the plot isn't great but the cases are engaging), atmosphere, and a bit of adventure game gameplay.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
err Shadowlink you PMed ME with the modbot codes, you need to PM ModBot not me dude lol. gogogo quick

Chunky

Thanks for the feedback, I ended up getting both!
Sweet, you're in for some bloody amazing times. The soundtracks alone, fucking fantastic. I just rebought Oath after playing it on PSP, I'm not only reminded of how great it is, but the visual upgrade's pretty sweet. Can't say I care about the lack of voice acting, since I generally can't stand voiced text - I always read ahead and just end up skipping it.

Anyway, you're welcome!

Blue-kun

I see the responses to your question above, but I'd like to know what the best Ys to play is period, not just including the steam sale options. I've been wanting to give the series a shot lately and I see it just got a new entry as well. Should I play that over any of these or is one of these the best option?

This is something where you'll find people disagreeing with each other left and right, simply because the Ys series has been ongoing for decades now and Falcom loves to change stuff up. I'd say MOST of the western fans have either Oath or Origin as their favourite, and they're really good games. PSP's Ys Seven and Vita's Ys Celceta are also great, and I particularly like Seven more than all the others, but they're different in that they have a bigger focus on the RPG parts of the game. More robust skill system, more emphasis on the story (and thus more exposition, which is a minus for some people, 'cause Ys stories are very classic fantasy plots), replacement of Oath/Origin's jump button and platform sections with a guard command and roll to dodge from attacks etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four games named above. Seven is very similar to Celceta, where as Oath is the same way to Origin. Picking one of them kinda boils down to preference, so check out some videos and see which style you think you prefer and... go with that, first? In the end the ideal result is just playing all of them, lol :V

rrs

Can I deselect these in the respective game menus? So if I wish to play the vanilla game I can? Or once it's added I am then stuck with that content in the game whether I wish it to be in that playthrough or not?

Sorry for the noob question but I'm a noob to DLC and pc gaming so there you are.
Yeah you can select of you just want base game or expansion content

I know that a prompt comes up during the game asking you whether you want to play the Slingshot DLC when it would start to become relevant. I don't know if it's possible to disable cosmetic DLC, and I don't own Enemy Within.

Aaron

In XCOM at least you can play without the DLC if you wish.

derExperte

actually I think I have a theory about why it says the 3rd on the front page, the daily deals always run 48 hours now so the new set tomorrow will end on the 3rd

just everything else will go off sale on the 2nd

The snow globe cards expire on Friday btw.

Valid until Fri Jan 03 2014 20:00:00 GMT+0100 (W. Europe Standard Time)

Doubt it. I think those vouchers will only work in their January sale.

It's January in a few hours and it's a sale! But you're probably right, would be too good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Asylum is the king of winning my giveaways, damn son

cicero

This is something where you'll find people disagreeing with each other left and right, simply because the Ys series has been ongoing for decades now and Falcom loves to change stuff up. I'd say MOST of the western fans have either Oath or Origin as their favourite, and they're really good games. PSP's Ys Seven and Vita's Ys Celceta are also great, and I particularly like Seven more than all the others, but they're different in that they have a bigger focus on the RPG parts of the game. More robust skill system, more emphasis on the story (and thus more exposition, which is a minus for some people, 'cause Ys stories are very classic fantasy plots), replacement of Oath/Origin's jump button and platform sections with a guard command and roll to dodge from attacks etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four games named above. Seven is very similar to Celceta, where as Oath is the same way to Origin. Picking one of them kinda boils down to preference, so check out some videos and see which style you think you prefer and... go with that, first? In the end the ideal result is just playing all of them, lol :V
Overall I would say that Origin is probably the best for a new player, Chronicles appealed to me on another level though since I owned and played Ys I & II on a TurboDuo back in like 1992.

Farming Simulator too pricey? Get Agricultural Simulator 2011 here! It is
not
the best game evar!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Agricultural Simulator 2011 Extended Edition -- MB-2326A6BCD6375B7A - Taken by cicero
Rune Classic -- MB-B03C647A4600163E - Taken by Peachblossom

-MD-

still holding out hope for Volgarr, otherwise I am dooooone

Valdis has been my #1 since the start of the sale. It's starting to get depressing having it not show up.

Only 1 more set of dailies right? Big ol' sigh. I also really wanna buy Volgarr too.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Here some more Ys for you all! Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kandrick:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-6F8D712EC9291305 - Taken by StAidan. 58 entrants total.

t1388525851z1.png

Yeah you can select of you just want base game or expansion content

I know that a prompt comes up during the game asking you whether you want to play the Slingshot DLC when it would start to become relevant. I don't know if it's possible to disable cosmetic DLC, and I don't own Enemy Within.

In XCOM at least you can play without the DLC if you wish.

Awesome :). Thanks fellow GAFers :D. I am not intending to get EW yet anyway; sorry I should have made that clear. Partly because I would like it to be cheaper and partly because once it's added it's added, I believe. So I intend to play vanilla XCOM to death first :). Just to be safe since I'm in the middle of an XCOM playthrough I'll just add it to my inventory until I wish to add it in to the game. Right, to the Bat Phone cart!

Laieon

Is Company of Heroes 2 any good? I never played the first one. Does it have base building? I'm really wanting to play an RTS with base building on the level of AoE or AoM, but it seems like they don't exist anymore

There is a Demo for Ys Origin for those who want to try it. Also,

sfbv.jpg

GAF, please stop recommending shit with such confidence. I'm getting frustrated adding shit to my cart.

derExperte

Valdis has been my #1 since the start of the sale. It's starting to get depressing having it not show up.

Only 1 more set of dailies right? Big ol' sigh. I also really wanna buy Volgarr too.

No Valdis, the borked Pac-Man sale and Tetrobot losing the voting are the three tragedies this year.

There's more on my wishlist that could've been a flash of course. Also Dustforce (I know, Humble Store, but I waited so long that I now want a BIG discount).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom