• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
I feel like I'm the only one in the thread that doesn't care for Ys series lol.

you-are-not-alone-picture.jpeg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok Gaf, gimme dat hard sell on Game Dev Tycoon, I still got some fight in me this sale... im down but not out!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For the Ys games, try out Oath and see if you are ready for Origin. I & II haven't aged as well.

Such lies! They've aged like fine wine, especially Ys II. If you don't like retro gaming they probably aren't for you, but if you don't mind it they're great.

Wouldn't recommend them to start the series, but I also wouldn't recommend avoiding them.

I decided to just buy all the Ys games and figure out if I like them. Might of wasted some money but the videos look fun. Guess I'll start with the Ys I game.

Kind of going along with the above, if you can't get into Ys I because it's too retro/old school don't give up on the other games because they're pretty different. Even in Ys II the magic system adds interesting wrinkles that makes boss fights way better.

_hekk05

Banned
Is there no way to revise the pricing of an item you have listed on the market other than removing it and relisting it? Trying to lower the price of my holiday cards before the market crashes.

Nonono. Check the 3rd page. List your price 1 cent lower and wait. Dont crash the market prematurely lol

Jumped the gun early and got Ys I and II before it went on Flash (I know, should of waited for the deals. I normally hold out for Flash deals!). But I still need Oath and Origins so I guess I may as well nab those heh.

Also maybe just me but enjoying the neat touches in Ys I like being able to haggle prices down a bit or goodies for taking to NPC's The bump system is silly but at least it makes battles a bit quicker than your standard turn-based affairs

Are the Ys games made for pad or keyboard/m?

Pretty sure all of them have gamepad support.

Ptaaty

Question: critical reviews for Castlevania seem strong. Why is it a shaky recommendation?

I'm reading about...camera issues? Is it rough?

Camera wasn't too bad usually. I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit. The main issues are the slow start and its a bit long for this style game.

Think God of War, better story, less combo fodder, tougher and fewer enemies, a bit better puzzles. Nice graphics. Fair amount of platforming mixed in too.

If you can get past chapter 3 and like God of War, DMC, NG, you will probably like it. I put in 25 hours in the middle of the sale bonanza so I would definitely buy again at $10.

Turfster

Humble Store Daily
  • Europa Universalis 9.99$
  • Gone home 6.80$
  • Dust 3.75$
  • Don't Starve 4.99$
  • Shadow Warrior 9.99$
  • Papers, please 4.99$
  • Guacamelee 3.75$
  • Monaco 2.99$
  • Rogue legacy 4.99$
  • Euro truck simulator 2 6.24$
  • Planetary Annihilation 39.99$
  • Prison Architect 14.99$
  • Overgrowth 24.99$
  • Legend of Grimrock 3.75$
  • Red Faction collection 11.99$
  • Risk of Rain 6.66$
  • Kentucky Route zero 12.49$
  • DLC quest 0.75$
  • Audiosurf 0.99$
  • Game dev tycoon 4.99$
  • Legend of Dungeon 4.99$

How is Alan Wake's American Nightmare? It seems like a great deal for 0.99 cents.

I really enjoyed it but I played it straight after finishing Alan Wake so that may have been part of it. If you think you might like Alan Wake and have the budget for it then I recommend that you get both. I had a lot of fun with both and they're well worth a punt at that price.

Question: critical reviews for Castlevania seem strong. Why is it a shaky recommendation?

It's got some really good art direction, but the story is campy/cheesy to the point where I can't believe Patrick Stewart signed on to be the narrator. The game tries so hard to pull in a bunch of random game mechanics and make them cohesive, but it really ends up disjointed... there are 2-3 Shadow of the Colossus style boss fights, some standard action game type boss fights, a series of puzzles that's reminiscent of Portal, etc.

The combat is more like God of War than a Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Platinum title, which isn't a bad thing, and now that it's on PC and can run at a constant 60fps, it's much better than when I played the game on PS3.

It's worthwhile at $10 if you like God of War style action games, I'd say.

Grief.exe

Its a solid port and the game is good.

It just has its flaws and its very hit or miss depending on who is playing it.

By all means, buying the game would be a fine purchase.

Wouldn't recommend them to start the series, but I also wouldn't recommend avoiding them.

That would be his first entry in the series, that is why I told him to hold off.

Its a solid port and the game is good.

It just has its flaws and its very hit or miss depending on who is playing it.

By all means, buying the game would be a fine purchase.

That would be his first entry in the series, that is why I told him to hold off.

I'm new to the series and I plan on playing Ys I first. If I go and play any of the games after that (other than Ys II, which wouldn't make sense) the "classic" game design might not be tolerable by comparison and then I'll *never* play them.

Someone posted an order earlier that started with:

Ys I > Ys II > and going into Oath or Origin after that... and that's probably my game plan regarding these games.

They're still not updated.

Looks like the humble store is just running a slight discount on everything that's been previously discounted today.

Levyne

Banned
It's got some really good art direction, but the story is campy/cheesy to the point where I can't believe Patrick Stewart signed on to be the narrator. The game tries so hard to pull in a bunch of random game mechanics and make them cohesive, but it really ends up disjointed... there are 2-3 Shadow of the Colossus style boss fights, some standard action game type boss fights, a series of puzzles that's reminiscent of Portal, etc.

The combat is more like God of War than a Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Platinum title, which isn't a bad thing, and now that it's on PC and can run at a constant 60fps, it's much better than when I played the game on PS3.

It's worthwhile at $10 if you like God of War style action games, I'd say.

This echoes my feelings pretty closely.

I recommend playing on hard. The game is pretty easy on the default difficulty. The addition of the magic meter made it still very enjoyable because it resets if you take a hit, meaning that even on a normal difficultly playthrough I found myself striving for that "flawless" encounter where I keep the meter full the whole time. But that's not required and you can easily ignore it.

The "DLC" puzzles and encounters were significantly more challenging, but not uncompromisingly frustrating either. I'm glad I tackled those after finishing the main game.

And yes the art direction is great, though Patrick Stewart was a bit of a let down.

Humble Store Daily
  • Europa Universalis
  • Gone home
  • Dust
  • Don't Starve
  • Shadow Warrior
  • Papers, please
  • Guacamelee
  • Monaco
  • Rogue legacy
  • Euro truck simulator 2
  • Planetary Annihilation
  • Prison Architect
  • Overgrowth
  • Legend of Grimrock
  • Red Faction collection
  • Risk of Rain
  • Kentucky Route zero
  • DLC quest
  • Audiosurf
  • Game dev tycoon
  • Awesomenauts

They updated the prices. Much better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gone Home still not 5? fuck you then Ill play you next year :(

Went with MotN Special Edition. Can't resist a quality stealth game, and I'm saving money for an upcoming Kickstarter.

Still got 4.50 left to spend. I'll either get Hitman Blood Money, and then have all my favorite stealth games on PC or get Bionic Commando, which I hear is quite underrated and looks like a lot of fun

They updated the prices. Much better.

Yeah, that's more like it -- the discounts are now what they were on previous days.

Went with MotN Special Edition. Can't resist a quality stealth game, and I'm saving money for an upcoming Kickstarter.

Still got 4.50 left to spend. I'll either get Hitman Blood Money, and then have all my favorite stealth games on PC or get Bionic Commando, which I hear is quite underrated and looks like a lot of fun

I bought a friend Bionic Commando as a "gag" type gift because it was on his wishlist and he claimed it was a valid "wishlist" title and he would play it.
Little did we know that the would 100% the game on all 3 save files and he has it as his "favorite game" on his profile. He's spent over 21 hours with it. He loves good ol' wifearm.

KarmaCow

Humble Bundle Android 8 ended so here are the left overs.
Use the key with this url
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gemeni Rue -- MB-A6DCCD6E062CC0D8 - Taken by Melhisedek. 2 entrants total.
Solar 2 -- MB-4D4F7EEAC9EB75AA - Taken by VikasNarula. 2 entrants total.
The Bard's Tale -- MB-DE8135773D988812 - Taken by Link Man. 9 entrants total.
Little Inferno -- MB-496183E088EF99D0 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

t1388517570z1.png

Momentary

Banned
Humble Store Daily
  • Europa Universalis 9.99$
  • Gone home 6.80$
  • Dust 3.75$
  • Don't Starve 4.99$
  • Shadow Warrior 9.99$
  • Papers, please 4.99$
  • Guacamelee 3.75$
  • Monaco 2.99$
  • Rogue legacy 4.99$
  • Euro truck simulator 2 6.24$
  • Planetary Annihilation 39.99$
  • Prison Architect 14.99$
  • Overgrowth 24.99$
  • Legend of Grimrock 3.75$
  • Red Faction collection 11.99$
    [*] Risk of Rain 6.66$
  • Kentucky Route zero 12.49$
  • DLC quest 0.75$
  • Audiosurf 0.99$
  • Game dev tycoon 4.99$
  • Legend of Dungeon 4.99$

What an appropriate price for such an evil game.

Grief.exe

I'm new to the series and I plan on playing Ys I first. If I go and play any of the games after that (other than Ys II, which wouldn't make sense) the "classic" game design might not be tolerable by comparison and then I'll *never* play them.

Someone posted an order earlier that started with:

Ys I > Ys II > and going into Oath or Origin after that... and that's probably my game plan regarding these games.

I have zero problem going back and enjoying older games for what they are.

Its just different ideologies, at play here. You can do your way and be perfectly fine, or you can get your feet wet with one of the better entries in the series and see if you are hungry for more.
If the series really clicks, then you can go back and enjoy the other entries just fine.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Apparently I already have Blood Bowl Legendary. When did that happen?
Through a bundle?
It's been part of a Humble Bundle. The one with Divinity II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom