• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never played any of the Ys games before.

What is recommended for a newcomer?

Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Ys I & II Chronicles looks like a remade SNES game with awful borders so I'm thinking that's not the right answer. But I dunno. Someone please help

I recommend to start with OiF. The Ys games are pretty independent in their stories so you won't miss anything. Ys chronicles is good too, but can feel a bit out-dated for newcomers. Ys Origin has similar mechanics as OiF and is my personal favourite, but it's a prequel to Ys chronicles, so you probably would get more out of the story if you play chronicles before Origin.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just a note for anyone using DPfix and having bad performance: The game ran better for me using high settings for everything and down-sampling opposed to using the lower settings and native resolution. I seriously had the game dropping frames running everything modestly at my native monitor resolution on low/medium settings that was solved my cranking everything up.

graywolf323

Yeah, I edited my post.

thanks :) I grabbed the expansion since it's on sale and will remove any other dlc from my wishlist now

it's kinda sad that I have all the Magic games yet never play them (also have never played the actual card game) >_< keep meaning to get into them though and maybe even play with friends who have them on Steam as well

Blue-kun

Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin

Ys I & II Chronicles looks like a remade SNES game with awful borders so I'm thinking that's not the right answer. But I dunno. Someone please help

You can play Chronicles without the borders, but it's still a remake that stays true to how the originals were, so if you're not looking for something retro it's better to leave it be for now. Between Oath and Origin, though, I'd play Felghana first. Gameplay-wise they're very similar, but if you like Felghana you might want to try I&II, and I find that the Origin story is better appreciated if you play that one after I&II Chronicles.

Mind you, it's not REQUIRED to have played I&II at all. But there are a few references here and there that will make you smile. The story itself for Origin is pretty much standalone.

didamangi

Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin

Oath is cheaper, get that.

Levyne

Banned
I played Origin and then I & II and enjoyed seeing the references in the "backwards" manner.

Luckily, even if you agree that I & II play a bit dated, they're brief games, not too taxing to play through and just experience.

- J - D -

What's peoples verdict in LA noire? never did play it

Interesting ideas, great period Hollywood ambiance, realistic face tech, story is compelling for the most part. Interrogation sequences are hit or miss, the open world lacks much of anything to do, the gun play is mediocre, and the pc port of this game is pretty rough.

I enjoyed it when I originally played it though. Sometimes the setting and ambiance can compensate for deficiencies in everything else, for me (similar to how I feel about Bioshock Infinite).

Yeah, that is very strange and shady.

I voted for Deadpool and now I can't even see "my vote"... I did get a card out of it though, so I think it was counted.

Slots are for this years mini-game/format: Sealed. Which is REALLY a letdown since you can't reuse those slots IIRC, just like you can't reuse the base-game slots. It's a one-time thing to do that mode. So you have to luck out with a good booster pool for a decent deck. Not worth it and you can do cheaper drafts/"Sealed" in Magic Online if that's your mode.

I'm not sure what you mean by "deck packs?"

Oh, I got you. Two new decks each that aren't in the campaign or expansion decklists. Kinda pointless AFAIK since there is two GDLK decks in the expansion and base game each that you can use to ROFLstomp people in online. So not really needed.

Depends. If you like the style of the deck packs more than anything in the game, they might be more interesting to a player.

So yeah, the packs just add two new decks to play as. I'd personally pick them up if I they had the discount applied, but as they don't, just the expansion will do.

Sullichin

Is Enemy Within cheaper anywhere? Might have to grab that. I still never beat Enemy Unknown, but it was one of my favorite games of last year.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin

Origin or Oath in Felghana.

All three options are fairly different though. Chronicles plays nothing like the other two since it uses the bump system, so there's no attack button, you just run into enemies to attack them. Ys II adds magic which gives it more depth, but it's still simple (yet still fast and fun, especially Ys II. I like it more than some of the newer games).

Origin and Felghana are both more modern and play similarly (aside from Hugo in Origin), but they are structured completely differently. Origin is more like a dungeon crawler, no world map or anything. Felghana has a town, a world map, and you visit various dungeons and go back and forth between places. They're both fantastic games if you like action RPGs so I don't think you could go wrong with either. Personally I give Origin a nod, but only slightly.

Aaron

DLC for MTG is just unlocks and foil conversion. I just need the expansion and the 2 deck packs right?
I wouldn't even buy the deck packs. You'll have plenty with the base game and expansion. Plus there's the limited make your own option.

see5harp

So do people actually play Company of Heroes 2? I remember thinking that might be a game I'd give a go but I haven't heard whether the online community was actually healthy.

Thanks for all who gave advice regarding the Ys games. But damn you all as well! It seems I need all three games. Or perhaps I should be damning Valve for their sales!

Arthea

Happy New Year to those already there!

Those timezones and parties get me confused all the time, tomorrow is the last day?
Oddly enough nothing for me today, I'll mourn not buying Fall of Cybertron instead.

traveler

Not Wario

Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin

I see the responses to your question above, but I'd like to know what the best Ys to play is period, not just including the steam sale options. I've been wanting to give the series a shot lately and I see it just got a new entry as well. Should I play that over any of these or is one of these the best option?

Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin

Ys Oath in Felghana is recommended for newcomers to the series, followed by Ys Origin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
for the new page:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-042685EF3FD89BCF
Ys Origin -- MB-F6AA5FF25CD48492

t1388514871z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom