• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I always thought Derick's tag of Yin was quite appropriate, especially if you were familiar with Neogaf culture and Shinobi's Yang.

Derrick dislikes many AAA games, while Shinobi is almost a corporate stooge in terms of his game taste and support.

Hahah, it's true!

I always thought Derick's tag of Yin was quite appropriate, especially if you were familiar with Neogaf culture and Shinobi's Yang.

Derrick dislikes many AAA games, while Shinobi is almost a corporate stooge in terms of his game taste and support.

I knew that Shinobi is fanatic about every AAA game out there and that Derrick is very critical about them but I didn't know their tags were related.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, where does it sell for that low?

What? Is that on ebay or something?

I'm probably getting it/renting it on PS4 though as it's stronger than my old-ish PC.

Yeah, you can pick up a AMD "Never Settle Forever Gold/Silver" code (A large portion of their cards are going toward mining so the owners have no interest in the games) for ~$17. AMD just added Thief as one of the claimable codes.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Mass Effect 3 - worth $7? I enjoyed the previous two.

(via Amazon)

Unless it's different from the ME trilogy pack, it includes none of the DLC aside from the online multiplayer 'season pass', and IIRC, the PC had issues with the free dlc multiplayer packs.

Probably worth a 5'er to finish the trilogy and see the companions stories if you've never played it, though.

Anustart

Just wanna thank Ezra again for 400 days and Monaco and ask a question, how the hell do I play single player in Monaco. I must be blind as I can't find the option.

I don't want to ruin anyones night by noobing it up.

Also, more thanks to the guys who urged me to keep playing the witcher 2, shit really picked up during flotsam and now I'm loving it. Destroyed some Nekker nests the other night then searched in vain for endrega cocoons then beat the fuck out of tasskedick.

Grief.exe

I thought Derrick was the one that hated "indie games" though.

That is why its quite ironic.

Indie games are truly designed by those people who have grown tired of the dumbed down and streamlined mechanics and have decided to make something new and innovative.

Shinobi has criticized more games of late as I've seen, he was skeptical of Titanfall, wasn't he? I know he's a massive fan of Mass Effect though and doesn't seem to care much about the writing's quality, which is unfortunate.

In any event, Derrick's tag is probably here to stay. GAF should give him an all-expenses paid trip to Ubisoft HQ in France for Christmas next year, it would be hilarious haha.

I don't often venture into AAA game threads as I am not the target demographic for the majority of those games, so his opinions may have changed. To my understanding, that was the original design behind the tags and every time I have seen him post in a thread he is vehemently defending that section of the industry.

Just wanna thank Ezra again for 400 days and Monaco and ask a question, how the hell do I play single player in Monaco. I must be blind as I can't find the option.

I don't want to ruin anyones night by noobing it up.

Also, more thanks to the guys who urged me to keep playing the witcher 2, shit really picked up during flotsam and now I'm loving it. Destroyed some Nekker nests the other night then searched in vain for endrega cocoons then beat the fuck out of tasskedick.

I am quite thankful to Ezra as well for Gunpoint, I thanked him earlier in the thread but no harm in doing so again.

Tesseract

Banned
Aware, but if I pay the same price on Steam, can add it to my inventory first just in case, get a trading card, and use part of the giftcard I just got... See why I want Steam to fix it?

somewhere sits valve's phd economist, monitor aglow with snowy delight.

dat gabe cut.

Unless it's different from the ME trilogy pack, it includes none of the DLC aside from the online multiplayer 'season pass', and IIRC, the PC had issues with the free dlc multiplayer packs.

Probably worth a 5'er to finish the trilogy and see the companions stories if you've never played it, though.

So with the trilogy being $3 more and me not caring about multiplayer, do you feel the DLC is worth it?

edit: oh wait the DLC isn't included? nvm

Indie games are truly designed by those people who have grown tired of the dumbed down and streamlined mechanics and have decided to make something new and innovative.

I mean, categorically dismissing indie games (a label that's pretty arbitrary) already seems like a dumb thing to do, but I guess it's ironic too.

got Satazius! thanks sephiroth
rejoice.png

Eusis

Ok offloading more junk, two games (well, game-ish thing) and two Steam invites that I don't know what to do with now. Are they even relevant now?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Steam Community Beta Access -- MB-652DEA7EB38A5B1B - Taken by lordfroakie
Steam Mobile Access -- MB-1B7545F59D41C908 - Taken by rainking187
Garry's Mod -- MB-888885DD78F4F6AD - Taken by GuardianE
Sequence -- MB-63472075F58883C5 - Taken by Anustart

Pac-Man CE is a classic that's easily worth full price. Or 33% off.

It's just hard to pull that trigger when it's a flash deal that ain't really a flash deal.

I was going to buy it on the last day no matter what if it didn't go on sale. Now I'm not so sure... the fake flash sale is so annoying. It seems like it was an error, and now they've decided to stick with it. Maybe they would even eliminate a community vote or daily deal it would have had, since if they make a community/daily sale better than a flash sale that will annoy people who bought it.

Vibranium

Banned

I don't often venture into AAA game threads as I am not the target demographic for the majority of those games, so his opinions could have changed. To my understanding, that was the original design behind the tags.

Yep, Shinobi being Yang and Derrick being Yin was a direct representative of their contrasting views. The former is still super positive about AAA though, so the design never changed I think.

And the one thing I want out of indie games is a proper spiritual successor to the Resident Evil REmake but not one studio has thought of doing it yet which disappoints me greatly. A big mansion with pre-rendered backgrounds is something the AAA industry would never do, not even Mikami anymore. :(

Grief.exe

560 ti and 8 GB here. Seems like it's right between the two consoles for me.

I picked up a second used 560 ti for SLI and I am, so far, destroying next-gen releases. Running BF4 at high settings, 1080p, 70-80 FPS. The only problem I run into is a lack of VRAM.

Deadbeat

Banned

Most indie games are trash though. Its just that now with the huge influx of indie games being made the odds dictate that there will be more gold. But the river of shit is flowing faster and stronger too.

Still waiting for Routine

Been playing Arkham Origins that I picked up when it was on sale, but it appears to still have game breaking bugs.

Basically I loaded my game and it loads directly into Batman falling through the environment (like it didn't load). Restarting the last checkpoint starts it in exactly the same spot every time:

Huge bummer because I was actually enjoying it a lot. I deleted it and am redownloading it to see if that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You guys are really good making me want games I'd never thought twice about before. Luckily, Dishonored isn't quite at that impulse buy price, and I think I already missed out when it was on sale. Papers, Please is also another such game, but I can probably live without it.

I think I might bite on Papers, Please. It looks so weirdly addicting. I have had good results from those types of games.

I am on the fence for State of Decay...

I have been on the fence since it went on sale. I keep reading about performance issues, so that is keeping me away from now. A handful of gaffers have said it ran fine on their rigs though.

Tellaerin

$3 left from Amazon gift cards gotten today, I'm down to either Sine Mora or Last Remnant. What say you, Steam-GAF?

Both are really solid, fun games. Depends on whether you're more in the mood for an epic JRPG with an interesting battle system (mass melees where your party's broken up into little subgroups of units you manage, each with its own single life bar; positioning and maneuvering come into play even though combat's not played on a tactical map), or a really good side-scrolling shmup, also with some interesting mechanics (you have the ability to rewind time a la Prince of Persia, and you've got a timer that ticks down in place of a life meter/# of ships. Shooting down enemies adds to the timer, and getting hit takes seconds off). You can't go wrong with either, as long as you like the genres they belong to.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ok offloading more junk, two games (well, game-ish thing) and two Steam invites that I don't know what to do with now. Are they even relevant now?

Thanks, Eusis! I've always wanted to play around with Garry's Mod, and thanks to you I can.

Grief.exe

Yep, Shinobi being Yang and Derrick being Yin was a direct representative of their contrasting views. The former is still super positive about AAA though, so the design never changed I think.

And the one thing I want out of indie games is a proper spiritual successor to the Resident Evil REmake but not one studio has thought of doing it yet which disappoints me greatly. A big mansion with pre-rendered backgrounds is something the AAA industry would never do, not even Mikami anymore. :(

Both are fanatical in their own ways which is what made the tags perfect.

This will probably be a temp tag for derrick.

Anyone have thoughts on Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition?

I never played the first. Played the second, waiting to see if that will go lower this sale, but I'm itching to buy something!

Eusis

I picked up a second used 560 ti for SLI and I am, so far, destroying next-gen releases. Running BF4 at high settings, 1080p, 70-80 FPS. The only problem I run into is a lack of VRAM.
Huh, should look into that, though I also need to check on my power supply. I had one that was more than powerful enough probably, but the fan got noisy so I replaced it. It's Corsair though so I should be able to go through the warranty process someday.
Thanks, Eusis! I've always wanted to play around with Garry's Mod, and thanks to you I can.
No problem! I haven't booted it up in forever, perhaps I should try again.

yoshizzle

You guys are really good making me want games I'd never thought twice about before. Luckily, Dishonored isn't quite at that impulse buy price, and I think I already missed out when it was on sale. Papers, Please is also another such game, but I can probably live without it.

Papers, Please does have a free beta you can check out. Quite addicting (at least for me)

Both are really solid, fun games. Depends on whether you're more in the mood for an epic JRPG with an interesting battle system (mass melees where your party's broken up into little subgroups of units you manage, each with its own single life bar; positioning and maneuvering come into play even though combat's not played on a tactical map), or a really good side-scrolling shmup, also with some interesting mechanics (you have the ability to rewind time a la Prince of Persia, and you've got a timer that ticks down in place of a life meter/# of ships. Shooting down enemies adds to the timer, and getting hit takes seconds off). You can't go wrong with either, as long as you like the genres they belong to.

I flipped a coin and went with TLR, but I'll get the other eventually, it's on my ever growing wishlist.

Vibranium

Banned
Most indie games are trash though. Its just that now with the huge influx of indie games being made the odds dictate that there will be more gold. But the river of shit is flowing faster and stronger too.

Routine is going to be freaking amazing even if just for the atmosphere. It will be what Gravity should have been.

80's space survival horror? Sign me the hell up.

"A river of shit" is definitely not what I would characterize the indie scene right now, especially compared with recent AAA offerings.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think I'm done for the sale. I got what I wanted (well, most), and the rest don't interest me much.

Just to add to this, I purchased my Dark Souls key from the US Amazon store and it was NOT redeemable from my JP Steam account.
Ahh that explains it then.

I think I might bite on Papers, Please. It looks so weirdly addicting. I have had good results from those types of games.

Do it. I am still playing it, I just can't stop. I honesty am starting to feel pretty bad, denying good people entrance, lol it gets deep.

Deadbeat

Banned
Anyone have some quick, dirty impressions with Dungeon Defenders? I refuse to watch Total Biscuit, ugk.
I downloaded the game during a free weekend. I popped into a server, someone called me a low level/free weekend faggot and I got banned. I uninstalled the game. I feel as if I have missed nothing worthwhile.

Buy something else.

Grief.exe

What is your point? The majority of AAA games, movies, books, etc are complete trash as well.

The amount of stellar, indie, releases that I played this year, let alone the ones that are showing up on mainstream media's GOTY list is truly astounding.

Don't Starve, Dust, Gone Home, Papers Please, SteamWorld Dig, Spelunky, Guacamele, Stanley Parable, Volgarr, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and so many more to list.

If you haven't played the majority of these games you are either jaded, an idiot, completely lacking in taste, or all three. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are only a modicum of explanations and they all carry a negative connotation.

It's been an hour. Merry bumpmas, kids.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock 2 -- MB-C2F4D3F74678EACE
The Walking Dead 400 Days DLC -- MB-22EA8D6BF7B89BF8
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-AED198C4A9E147B3
Bioshock Infinite -- MB-4401213877A19414
The Walking Dead Season One -- MB-BAB2FD0D485E25F9
Bioshock -- MB-8964E61FBCD1177B
Far Cry 3 -- MB-78C05F348D2B4BE5

t1388042307z1.png

Good enough for me.

I liked Dungeon Defenders, but I never played it with randoms. If you have a couple friends to play with, it can be a very amusing game.

Is Brigmore Witches available anywhere for less than $5?

Not likely.

Yeah on the product page it's as if it doesn't know it's supposed to be a flash sale, lol.

Strangely KOF13 is still recognizing flash sale price. I just bought it to give to someone.

Derrick01

Banned
What is your point? The majority of AAA games, movies, books, etc are complete trash as well.

The amount of stellar, indie, releases that I played this year, let alone the ones that are showing up on mainstream media's GOTY list is truly astounding.

Don't Starve, Dust, Gone Home, Papers Please, SteamWorld Dig, Spelunky, Guacamele, Stanley Parable, Volgarr, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and so many more to list.

If you haven't played the majority of these games you are either jaded, an idiot, completely lacking in taste, or all three. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are only a modicum of explanations and they all carry a negative connotation.

But I want to play good games!

I have played spelunky, guacamelee and rogue legacy though. They're forgettable at best, terrible at worst (mostly just spelunky though). RL could be decent but there's too much grinding for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom