• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modsushi

any good games anybody recommends for under 5$?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223510/

I highly recommend Miasmata, although it definitely isn't for everybody. The animations are janky (especially the Stretch Armstrong hands), and the inertia mechanic can be frustrating as hell.
It wasn't optimized on release, but it's my understanding that a patch fixed most of the performance issues.

Those aside, Miasmata is a beautiful game to get engrossed in. I absolutely love the cartography system.
I found the lore of the game to be tedious and vague, but the exploration of the game world is highly rewarding if you enjoy just wandering around beautiful environments.

Really though, I think the reason I have such a strong affinity for this game is because the developers said they were inspired by their time spent canoeing in Minnesota.
I have fond memories of canoeing Canadian freshwater lakes a kid, and the environment artwork of Miasmata really spoke to me in that regard.

Grief.exe

But I want to play good games!

I have played spelunky, guacamelee and rogue legacy though. They're forgettable at best, terrible at worst (mostly just spelunky though). RL could be decent but there's too much grinding for me.

Your opinions are forgettable.

See above explanations for not enjoying the amazing indie games released this year.

Deadbeat

Banned
What is your point? The majority of AAA games, movies, books, etc are complete trash as well.
Your comment here:

Indie games are truly designed by those people who have grown tired of the dumbed down and streamlined mechanics and have decided to make something new and innovative.

While more great indie games are being made, there is a proportional increase to more shit being made as well. The batting average hasnt changed.

Grief.exe

Your comment here:

While more great indie games are being made, there is a proportional increase to more shit being made as well. The batting average hasnt changed.

Meanwhile the 'batting average' for AAAs has decreased as well.

Again, what point are you trying to make? Some items in said category are shit does not condemn the entire medium.

You seemed to remember enough a few minutes ago while detailing my old tag and how I got it.

They stick in my mind, but memorable for the wrong reasons.

Smash88

Banned
I have been on the fence since it went on sale. I keep reading about performance issues, so that is keeping me away from now. A handful of gaffers have said it ran fine on their rigs though.

I think I'll wait for 66%-75% off next sale, and get it then.

Turfster

just keep going, you're still in the tutorial. it gets mediocritily better somewhere soon, derrick would probably know where.

mediocritily

I'm done for today.
I hope I can continue next time I play... whenever that'll be... but I'm really not feeling these enemy types.

Just to be sure, I can only enter for one of these games, right? I entered for BioShock Infinite but I've never played any of them so I'd take BioShock 1 as well.

Correct. I could have enabled the free for all option which would have allowed people to enter for multiple games, but I didn't, did I?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just to be sure, I can only enter for one of these games, right? I entered for BioShock Infinite but I've never played any of them so I'd take BioShock 1 as well.

I think I might have a copy. I seem to remember one copy that wasn't redeem from a year back. Check your PMs in a bit.

grimmiq

Been playing Arkham Origins that I picked up when it was on sale, but it appears to still have game breaking bugs.

Basically I loaded my game and it loads directly into Batman falling through the environment (like it didn't load). Restarting the last checkpoint starts it in exactly the same spot every time:

Huge bummer because I was actually enjoying it a lot. I deleted it and am redownloading it to see if that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Damn, only fell through the earth once in my playthrough..I did repeatedly get Batman bugging out while gliding though, looked like he was having seizures.

Deadbeat

Banned
Again, what point are you trying to make? Some items in said category are shit does not condemn the entire medium.
Yet you are condemning the AAA part of the gaming industry for getting worse, then ignoring all the indie games that are clones of minecraft or 2d platformers or some other played out genre that are being pumped out in droves.

RS4-

Pretty sure the majority of voters are the same chumps that vote for players in the NBA.

Injured for 90% of the season? Leading vote getter.

Best player at the position? Tenth in votes, behind chumps, scrubs, has beens.

Smash88

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Scribblenauts Unlimited -- MB-A1A5861462D1EDA5 - Taken by Tanner1495. 14 entrants total.

t1388036552z1.png

You have 15 minutes, enjoy!

Grief.exe

Yet you are condemning the AAA part of the gaming industry for getting worse, then ignoring all the indie games that are clones of minecraft or 2d platformers or some other played out genre that are being pumped out in droves.

That is a stretch, I never said there weren't garbage indie games, just pointing out how baseless your argument is.

Still hoping for a Starbound discount even if small. 33% would be great!

Don't hold your breath too long.

Your opinions are forgettable.

See above explanations for not enjoying the amazing indie games released this year.

Sometimes I think he just trolls games people like because he wants that reaction...

That is a stretch, I never said there weren't garbage indie games, just pointing out how baseless your argument is.

Sure there's a lot of garbage, but there's a lot of gems too.
I agree with you.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What is your point? The majority of AAA games, movies, books, etc are complete trash as well.

The amount of stellar, indie, releases that I played this year, let alone the ones that are showing up on mainstream media's GOTY list is truly astounding.

Don't Starve, Dust, Gone Home, Papers Please, SteamWorld Dig, Spelunky, Guacamele, Stanley Parable, Volgarr, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and so many more to list.

If you haven't played the majority of these games you are either jaded, an idiot, completely lacking in taste, or all three.

People have different tastes. Not sure why you're being a dick about it. I played the majority of those games and they were mostly fine, but there's nothing mindblowing there imo. To me Gone Home was a total snoozefest but I am really liking Volgarr. I can understand why people love them and I can understand why people don't care for them.

I am glad to see the indie scene moving away from the river of shit that was faux retro platformers like vvvvvv that were really popular 2-3 years ago.

Derrick01

Banned
Sometimes I think he just trolls games people like because he wants that reaction...

I don't do that, I'm always sincere in my likes/dislikes.

However I do troll the shit out of that steam vote. If I see something that I know is the hot new indie game I usually vote against it :p

NeoNess said:
People are arguing in a thread celebrating sales and giveaways, on Christmas.

Give me a fucking break.

It's the 26th now ;)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If you haven't played the majority of these games you are either jaded, an idiot, completely lacking in taste, or all three. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are only a modicum of explanations and they all carry a negative connotation.

And you are an asshole. Sorry to be so blunt.

Grief.exe

He's gotten it out of me several times.

People have different tastes. Not sure why you're being a dick about it. I played the majority of those games and they were mostly fine, but there's nothing mindblowing there imo. To me Gone Home was a total snoozefest but I am really liking Volgarr. I can understand why people love them and I can understand why people don't care for them.

I am glad to see the indie scene moving away from the river of shit that was faux retro platformers like vvvvvv that were really popular 2-3 years ago.

And you are an asshole. Sorry to be so blunt.

I took it a little too far, got carried away there. If I had to do it again, I would revise some of my word choice considerably.

Khronico

Yeah, same here. Some of those games on that list are completely uninteresting to me. Spelunky was pretty good though. And Dust. And Stanley Parable was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom