• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap

Bethesda sure loves pissing off early adopters

Bethesda does hate discounting DLC.
I think they figure people will get suckered into buying the base game for free and then pony up for the DLC too.
They got me on Skyrim -- it was cheaper to just buy Legendary for $16 than it was to buy all the DLC... and so my $12 or $15 I spend on Skyrim itself was kind of a waste.

I'm sure the same applies to all their published games.

Miker

I'm actually excited for the sale to end so talk can turn towards cheap non daily deal games. Good discussion that's less about "lol these prices suck," "lol community vote," and more talk about overlooked games.

Tellaerin

Yet you are condemning the AAA part of the gaming industry for getting worse, then ignoring all the indie games that are clones of minecraft or 2d platformers or some other played out genre that are being pumped out in droves.

One thing I appreciate about the indie scene is that it is a source of new games in so-called "played out" genres. I like stuff like 2d platformers and action games, scrolling shmups, etc., and the big guys aren't doing much with those genres anymore.

Indies are all about people making the kinds of games they personally love. That might mean artsy themes, or experimental game mechanics, or genres that aren't considered "commercially viable" by the big pubs anymore. Or it could just mean triple-A style stuff (albeit on a more modest scale) by some folks who really wanted to make a game like that themselves. Not all of it's going to appeal to everyone. That's a given. But the stuff being made by indie devs is diverse enough that collectively dismissing it all as shit seems shortsighted and ignorant at best.

neoemonk

With the rumor about Brothers showing up on PS+ in January in the US, all of a sudden I don't seem to care if it goes on flash sale.

catmario

I'm very wondering whether to buy legendary or not. I already have original... If I buy legendary, then I have to get a surplus vanilla copy.
What a waste...

_hekk05

Banned
Boxing Day is when australians elect their president by fighting kangaroos?

What is boxing day anyway? We celebrate no such holiday in my country.

Was recently in Melbourne on holiday. Koalas are cute and Kangaroo jerky is delicious.

But I want to play good games!

I have played spelunky, guacamelee and rogue legacy though. They're forgettable at best, terrible at worst (mostly just spelunky though). RL could be decent but there's too much grinding for me.
What's your definition of a good game? Seems like that's a critical part and a very subjective part of the whole discussion that needs to be made clear first

Omega

Banned
People need to realize that we're on the internet.

I'd bet my life that half of the shit this forum says, they don't actually mean and either do it because their bored, want a reaction or just playing devils advocate.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god,

Papers Please - I've gone and tried to memorize all of the states that are allowed as passports. It's day two.

This game may ruin me.

inm8num2

My downloads page is messed up. Same issue with different skins, or default skin. I've opted out of the beta, but I'm otherwise up to date.

rxwEpja.png

What is your point? The majority of AAA games, movies, books, etc are complete trash as well.

The amount of stellar, indie, releases that I played this year, let alone the ones that are showing up on mainstream media's GOTY list is truly astounding.

Don't Starve, Dust, Gone Home, Papers Please, SteamWorld Dig, Spelunky, Guacamele, Stanley Parable, Volgarr, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and so many more to list.

If you haven't played the majority of these games you are either jaded, an idiot, completely lacking in taste, or all three. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are only a modicum of explanations and they all carry a negative connotation.

alright jonathon blow calm down

I'd bet my life that half of the shit this forum says, they don't actually mean and either do it because their bored, want a reaction or just playing devils advocate.
Would love to meet one of the many trolls on the Steam forums, because I can't imagine their real personalities could be as abrasive as their online ones. Either way, it's fun to tear apart their arguments with logic and facts

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

would you play a bejeweled rpg hybrid reimagining of devils advocate starring al pacino? his likeness could be a stretch goal.

KScorp

Had these keys lying around, might as well raffle em.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Last Remnant -- MB-0AFD19D297A48C93
Supreme Commander 2 -- MB-6898CCF12044F942

t1388047077z1.png

Derrick01

Banned
What's your definition of a good game? Seems like that's a critical part and a very subjective part of the whole discussion that needs to be made clear first

There is no concrete definition because there's so many different genres out there. I have different expectations for an open world game than I do for a game like Deus Ex or Dishonored. My main thing about indies is I feel like the reputation they've gotten from disgruntled internet gamers for being super hardcore and deep is fake. I've played quite a lot of the "big" ones from the past few years and I haven't found most of them to be much deeper than the hated AAA games, in fact often they're shallower. It's just they're often more difficult and I think people confuse difficulty for complexity.

Correct. I could have enabled the free for all option which would have allowed people to enter for multiple games, but I didn't, did I?

Ok thanks for clearing that up. A Google search told me that I don't need to have played 1 and 2 to understand Infinite, so that's good.

I think I might have a copy. I seem to remember one copy that wasn't redeem from a year back. Check your PMs in a bit.

Thanks, that's very nice of you! I am at my gf's parent's house so I can't activate it yet (apparently you need the Steam client to activate Steam keys?) but I will try as soon as I get home tomorrow evening. Even if it has been redeemed already, I appreciate your reaching out. :)

vixlar

I can see Pacman CE DX+ on Flash sales, but on 33%. When I click on it, it says it is a season sales, not a flash sale. Even it says the offer will end on January 2. ¿Is that region locked or something?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
What is your point? The majority of AAA games, movies, books, etc are complete trash as well.

The amount of stellar, indie, releases that I played this year, let alone the ones that are showing up on mainstream media's GOTY list is truly astounding.

Don't Starve, Dust, Gone Home, Papers Please, SteamWorld Dig, Spelunky, Guacamele, Stanley Parable, Volgarr, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and so many more to list.

If you haven't played the majority of these games you are either jaded, an idiot, completely lacking in taste, or all three. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are only a modicum of explanations and they all carry a negative connotation.

Ehhh

I've played most of those:

Don't Starve - Meh, take or leave.
Dust - Not played, looks trash from some vids I've seen.
Gone Home - Not played, hoping for flash deal
Papers, Please - seems great at $5. played about two days so far, not really fun per se, but a good experience.
Steamworld Dig - What is this?
Spelunky - Meh. Not my thing. Not enjoyable, bought it once, regretted.
Guacamelee - HELL YES. Double dipped, will triple if community choice.
Stanley Parable - Eh. It's alright - it's a cute idea, but it's not much of a game.
Volgarr - I'd rather just spend that time in Dark Souls.
Rogue Legacy - HELL YES AGAIN. So much time in this game.
The Swapper - Nice visuals, but bleh game.

So, 3-4 of 9 are considerable for *decent video games*.

That's not super great.

Why is it so hard to believe that certain people have opinions that you disagree with?

I think it's irritating when people treat "indie games" like they're a genre instead of a loose term for how a game is made and distributed. That's not an opinion, that's just incorrect.

_hekk05

Banned
It's a trap. They want to give you syphilis.
Everything in JaseC-land wants to do you in.

I still can't believe I didn't see a single snake. Spiders though ...

Also kangaroos seem cool. Chased a group (herd? pack?) of them back in 2007 in Canberra for fun.

OT: really need a dayz sale

grimmiq

I think that's less about the discounts and more about Americans being bat-shit crazy for savings.

Last time I went to one of them, maybe 4-5 years ago, not a lot of mobbing..but so many people passing out from heatstroke, paramedics everywhere..doesn't help that a few of the shopping centres on the Gold Coast are half outdoors.

Aaand..I stupidly quoted my own post instead of editing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom