• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is your point? The majority of AAA games, movies, books, etc are complete trash as well.

The amount of stellar, indie, releases that I played this year, let alone the ones that are showing up on mainstream media's GOTY list is truly astounding.

Don't Starve, Dust, Gone Home, Papers Please, SteamWorld Dig, Spelunky, Guacamele, Stanley Parable, Volgarr, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and so many more to list.

If you haven't played the majority of these games you are either jaded, an idiot, completely lacking in taste, or all three. Sorry to be so blunt, but there are only a modicum of explanations and they all carry a negative connotation.

So, I'm "an idiot lacking in taste, possibly jaded" because I have no interest in those? Really? Grief? Really? I thought you were a bit better than that.

(And I say that a staunch indie hater. There's a few exceptions like Frozen Synapse and Hotline Miami that come out of left-field and are immensely enjoyable for the ideas/concepts they bring to the table but most indies I've tried have been really "terrible" for me.)

More_Badass said:
What's your definition of a good game? Seems like that's a critical part and a very subjective part of the whole discussion that needs to be made clear first

"Hitman, but if they change it from what I want it sucks and I'll post diatribes of rage about it.

Oh and anything else they change from my mindview like Splinter Cell. I more than likely haven't played Blacklist despite a few old-school fans actually trying it and saying it isn't as awful as it reveal trailer made it out to be." -Derrick.

I think it's irritating when people treat "indie games" like they're a genre instead of a loose term for how a game is made and distributed. That's not an opinion, that's just incorrect.

Except it kinda is a genre for categorization terms.

"AAA vs Indie" makes it a "genre" despite it technically not being a genre. Yeah.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm one who only gets into the specifics of "indie game" or AAA game or anything else only when it comes down to business. It's important in the money bin you know to be exact.

Beyond that? All just games to me and the crux of their standing is as simple as three things; Did I appreciate my time with it, do others appreciate their time with, and how did it's design work out from an analytical design standpoint.

A one man made game developed under one of the largest organisations in the world started videogames for the most part, but it was an independent project all the same.

No one here plays games. They Idle them for cards and stuff

We have one we do, The Waiting Game.

Could we maybe get a separate thread going for game draws? I feel like the posts about draws followed by the ensuing, needless, posts about having entered said draws only serve to bury what few conversations are actually taking place.

There is no concrete definition because there's so many different genres out there. I have different expectations for an open world game than I do for a game like Deus Ex or Dishonored. My main thing about indies is I feel like the reputation they've gotten from disgruntled internet gamers for being super hardcore and deep is fake. I've played quite a lot of the "big" ones from the past few years and I haven't found most of them to be much deeper than the hated AAA games, in fact often they're shallower. It's just they're often more difficult and I think people confuse difficulty for complexity.
Super hardcore and deep? I've never heard or seen some kind of umbrella generalization for indies like that. Like any medium, AAA or indie, movie or TV, there are games that have or at least attempt to convey a message and then there are those were gameplay and fun mechanics are king.

Have you played Outer Wilds, Westerado, One Finger Death Punch? The Swapper, Broforce? Running With Rifles, Gods Will Be Watching?

rrs

Dust - this combat system makes up for all the flaws in the game, it's so heavenly.
Stanley Parable - Way too short but just an amazing ride
Papers Please - It's odd how much fun such a job would be

Except it kinda is a genre for categorization terms.

"AAA vs Indie" makes it a "genre" despite it technically not being a genre. Yeah.

Sure, but I'm talking specifically about gameplay genres, as in people saying "indie games are all like platformers and minecraft clones".

Derrick01

Banned
"Hitman, but if they change it from what I want it sucks and I'll post diatribes of rage about it.

Yeah completely changing a franchise from what it does in favor of something worse is a bit of a problem. You make it seem like I'm the only one who doesn't like it when that happens too.

Oh and anything else they change from my mindview like Splinter Cell. I more than likely haven't played Blacklist despite a few old-school fans actually trying it and saying it isn't as awful as it reveal trailer made it out to be." -Derrick.

I'm waiting to play it but I'm not spending $30 on it. Blame Ubisoft's shitty deals.

I still don't expect it to be any good though. A precious few on this forum actually know what makes a good stealth game and after every game with stealth-lite elements (like dishonored or deus ex HR) comes out people proclaim it the best stealth game in ____.

Cyrano

There is no concrete definition because there's so many different genres out there. I have different expectations for an open world game than I do for a game like Deus Ex or Dishonored. My main thing about indies is I feel like the reputation they've gotten from disgruntled internet gamers for being super hardcore and deep is fake. I've played quite a lot of the "big" ones from the past few years and I haven't found most of them to be much deeper than the hated AAA games, in fact often they're shallower. It's just they're often more difficult and I think people confuse difficulty for complexity.
Feel free to describe what actually is hardcore and deep. Otherwise people might claim your arguments are shallow and irrelevant.

Yeah completely changing a franchise from what it does in favor of something worse is a bit of a problem. You make it seem like I'm the only one who doesn't like it when that happens too.

I'm waiting to play it but I'm not spending $30 on it. Blame Ubisoft's shitty deals.

I still don't expect it to be any good though. A precious few on this forum actually know what makes a good stealth game and after every game with stealth-lite elements (like dishonored or deus ex HR) comes out people proclaim it the best stealth game in ____.
IMO, the best stealth games are SC Chaos Theory and Hitman Blood Money. Save for the improved controls and graphics, Absolution shed everything that made Hitman "Hitman".

A precious few on this forum actually know what makes a good stealth game and after every game with stealth-lite elements (like dishonored or deus ex HR) comes out people proclaim it the best stealth game in ____.

No, I think I'll defer to my own judgement about what makes a stealth game good instead of your self proclaimed superior taste, thanks. :)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Binding of Isaac is a flash game and a lot of people love it.
I don't like it btw

Kinda ironic that those guys got started on Newgrounds since both their games just look like something I would've played on a school computer in 2005.

Kadin

Alright so I played A:CM for about 40mins and it was pretty decent until I had to actually shoot some aliens. That was a very unpleasant experience. I'm not giving up yet but it went from, "this isn't too bad" to "yeah okay that was terrible."

I wonder how many snow globes I could have got for that $1.99...

Tellaerin

Could we maybe get a separate thread going for game draws? I feel like the posts about draws followed by the ensuing, needless, posts about having entered said draws only serve to bury what few conversations are actually taking place.

Whenever the subject's come up before (and it has), more people than not have argued to keep everything in one thread. (In the interests of full disclosure, I'm one of them.). I'd say the giveaways contribute to the sense of community around these parts. They also spark discussion, since people will often come back to post impressions of the games they've won. And even with the giveaway posts, I'd still say the signal to noise ratio here is pretty damn good. : )

Binding of Isaac is a flash game and a lot of people love it.
I don't like it btw

The Binding of Isaac it's awesome!

85Nz9.gif

Omega

Banned
No, I think I'll defer to my own judgement about what makes a stealth game good instead of your self proclaimed superior taste, thanks. :)

that's what everyone should do. why this argument has been going on for a couple of pages is laughable.

people are arguing with a guy that thinks the Deathstroke battle in Arkham Origins was fun and Euro Truck Simulator is good.

this discussion was doing nothing but inflating people's post counts

the game BLEED's arcade mode (2.5$ right now on steam) is better than the majority of the titles you listed there as well

I bought that with card money but haven't played much yet. The time slow effect was really nice with dodging on the first boss. It seems good so far, but honestly I have a personal preference against the control scheme (not that the actual scheme is bad). Using joy2key to remap up=jump helps, but I'm trying to think of a way to make the face buttons allow 8 way shooting, for times I don't need more accuracy than that.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
that's what everyone should do. why this argument has been going on for a couple of pages is laughable.

people are arguing with a guy that thinks the Deathstroke battle in Arkham Origins was fun and Euro Truck Simulator is good.

this discussion was doing nothing but inflating people's post counts

The most important thing to inflate. So visible, so vital, so purposeful.

Santini

Is it worth your $2.00?

You have to ask yourself: do you really like Aliens? If you do, then the low cost of entry might be worth it to you. If you're on the fence, think carefully. Krokodil rots your privates, btw.

The game is mediocre in many respects. It's not terrible, but it's also not very good.

Pros:
The music is excellent. Composer Kevin Riepl took James Horner's (Aliens) as well as Jerry Goldsmith's (Alien) themes and motifs and provided A:CM with an awesome score. While many aspects of the game are disappointing, the soundtrack is not one of them. Give it a listen here if you're interested, and grab it here from the composer's dropbox if you want it.

Mods: it's on PC, and as you'd expect, there's a whole community that's developed mods that take this game from a 5 to a 9 or 10! Just kidding. Seriously, the only 2 mods that I know of that elevate the experience are a SweetFX mod and a Pulse Rifle mod. Here's a Youtube video showing off the differences with SweetFX on and off. Unfortunately, playing with this on will make you notice even more how bad the game is. More on that below.

Price: this will be a minus soon enough when it goes back to normal. But for now...
93iUjTz.jpg

"Honorable" Mention 1: Stasis Interrupted DLC. This doesn't come with your $2.00 purchase but I though I should mention. If only A:CM had started with this set of missions. Iffy storytelling and some bad voice acting aside (both keeping in par with the main campaign), the DLC does capture the feel of the first two Alien movies rather well. It also tries to answer some questionable story elements in the main campaign, or so I've been told.

"Honorable" Mention 2: Bug Hunt DLC. Not $2.00, either, unfortunately. This fun mode is a reminder that developers removing content from the game to sell it to you separately later is a bad thing. If the game had come out with this, it could easily be recommended to you. It's A:CM's take on the horde mode, but with Aliens and familiar locations.

That's it for the pros. Mods aside, notice how the game will potentially cost more if you want to make your experience more complete. Then again, you may try playing the game, not like it, and never consider it.

For cons, there are plenty. This review explains it best and in more detail, but let me try to sum it up in a more creative manner befitting NeoGAF.

Remember that part in Aliens when Ripley crashes the APC into the atmosphere processing station to rescue the marines, when all the aliens stopped what they were doing and made a beeline towards her, ignoring all of the other marines around them? And remember in that same scene when the marines, instead of helping Ripley out and shooting at the aliens that were now going after her, decided to just stand still and do nothing? Do you recall hating Hicks for acting like a total dumbass and not shooting at the alien when it spawned out of nowhere and slashed away at poor Ripley? And how about when Ripley herself took 30-40 shots to kill an alien because her weapon was highly ineffective and inaccurate? And all those times she had to relive those same moments, just like in Groundhog Day, because the filmmakers thought it would extend the overall experience more by not giving her enough to survive with or a reasonable starting point. Or what about all those parts when Carter Burke called in the Weyland Yutani elite soldiers to fight the marines? They dominated most of the film! I'm surprised it was called Aliens. Wasn't that movie awesome?

Anyhow, there you go. By the time you finish reading this, maybe Amazon will have run out of keys, or you will have forgotten about it and gone to bed. That's great news! Merry Christmas, everyone!

Disclaimer: before spending my $2.00, I completed the DLC "Stasis Interrupted", a few rounds of the Bug Hunt DLC, and completed the first mission of the game at a friend's. I really like Aliens and really wanted to like this game. I can't with good conscience recommend it to someone who's not a hardcore fan of the movie, has a high tolerance for crap, and has a diverse video game collection.

denx

The Binding of Isaac it's awesome!

I dunno man. Shooting tears/projectiles always felt off to me, like it didn't feel precise enough and I often wouldn't hit enemies when I was convinced that that shot should had hit them.

I dunno. I'm pretty sure people will tell me that I'm playing the game wrong and that I suck and all that, but the actual gameplay mechanics never felt good to me, unlike SMB which is a game by the same guys that I greatly enjoy.

I bought that with card money but haven't played much yet. The time slow effect was really nice with dodging on the first boss. It seems good so far, but honestly I have a personal preference against the control scheme (not that the actual scheme is bad). Using joy2key to remap up=jump helps, but I'm trying to think of a way to make the face buttons allow 8 way shooting, for times I don't need more accuracy than that.

I've played a bit of that game with K+M. Would you suggest playing it with a controller instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom