• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuroNeeko

Thanks to NingenJanai for Arkham Asylum!

I'm still contemplating getting Skyrim. I had it on 360 and sold it when I got a decent PC, but then never bought it back. Not sure if it's worth paying near double for the Legendary Edition either. I probably wouldn't even make it to the DLC content any time soon. Hell I'm not even sure I'd play the game right away.

Just wait for the next sale, then! It might even be cheaper!

drgambit

Banned
As long as you're giving away an actual product and are upfront about what it is ("Mystery Game" giveaways aside), you'll be fine.

Well, it's an 'actual product' (i was able to get a steam gift URL from it) but it is not a game. The recipient might get a special emote (and possibly a badge) from this item, but I really don't have any idea...

Oublieux

Also, my quick impressions of Dinner Date: If you've ever wanted to play a bread-dipping simulator where you wiggle your fingers around like a madman while listening to a British guy whine about his terrible sex life for 20 minutes, well I have the game for you!

That sounds extravagant
ly horrible D:

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Are you sure your ISP doesn't have a usage limit? If you've downloaded a shitload of games maybe you hit it and they throttled your connection.

Heh, I think it was the installation. It just finished and now my browser is running smoothly. But I'm not sure about the usage limit because my roommates pay the bill...

Grief.exe

Here's my early impressions of Castlevania Lords of Shadow. The port-work of it is great, it's a good PC port which gives me hope that Revengeance will also be a good port.

Rising's port is being worked on by Platinum, LoS was done by a different studio. Hopefully Rising turns out great, but we discovered that the game is locked to 1080p. We have let Platinum know that this is considered very poor, but they may not fix the issue.

Danielsan confirmed the other one worked fine, so this should too, enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-BB60F51E8A2BFCEE - Taken by confuziz

Kadin

Anyone play Football Manager?

I've seen this listed a few different times over past sales and I never quite understood the draw to this title. It's pretty expensive and yet it has a pretty big following. Anyone care to break it down for me? What exactly do you 'manage' in the game? I thought at first it was for something like Fantasy Football but apparently that's not it.

tmespe

Thanks to NingenJanai for Arkham Asylum!

I'm still contemplating getting Skyrim. I had it on 360 and sold it when I got a decent PC, but then never bought it back. Not sure if it's worth paying near double for the Legendary Edition either. I probably wouldn't even make it to the DLC content any time soon. Hell I'm not even sure I'd play the game right away.
I played it a bit on the 360 as well, but never finished it. I bought the legendary edition now knowing that the game on PC is a while different beast due to the fantastic modding community. There are so many great mods that I think it's worth it, although it's a little the expensive side

I've seen this listed a few different times over past sales and I never quite understood the draw to this title. It's pretty expensive and yet it has a pretty big following. Anyone care to break it down for me? What exactly do you 'manage' in the game? I thought at first it was for something like Fantasy Football but apparently that's not it.

You manage a football team, it's players, finances, etc... it's quite addictive if you like that kind of game even if you don't like football.

drgambit

Banned
Also, my quick impressions of Dinner Date: If you've ever wanted to play a bread-dipping simulator where you wiggle your fingers around like a madman while listening to a British guy whine about his terrible sex life for 20 minutes, well I have the game for you!

I am curious... tell me more about this 'game'...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, it's an 'actual product' (i was able to get a steam gift URL from it) but it is not a game. The recipient might get a special emote (and possibly a badge) from this item, but I really don't have any idea...

That's fine, too. I just meant that you shouldn't make a habit of creating fake/misleading giveaways.

Just got $50 for Steam, so I'm thinking of getting:

PayDay 2
Call of Cthuuuulu
Starbound

Was thinking about getting DayZ, but I've heard so many mixed things and have experienced the mod. So I'm extremely hesitant to put down $30 on a stand-alone mod that seems to have not changed much from the original mod it left behind. I enjoyed the mod a lot at times, but I wouldn't pay $30 for it. So is there something in this new stand-alone that will make DayZ worth the money in the future?

Cerity

PC and 3DS is truly the winning combination.

Wouldn't recommend.

I'm having enough trouble balancing steam sales and the recent 3ds games I've bought - Luigi's mansion 2, Harvest moon : ANB, attack of the friday monsters, liberation maiden and crimson shroud.

backdrifter

Neo Member

In the newer versions you do as much or as little as you like. Love setting up tactics, but hate sorting out training routines and signing potential future stars? You can hire and assign all that to staff. Its a game that can take anywhere between 4 and 40 hours to finish just one season. So deep.

Plus, if you want to avoid a lot of the complexity, you can play Football Manager Classic game mode that strips a lot of it out. Great game.

Grief.exe

PayDay 2
Call of Cthuuuulu
Starbound

Was thinking about getting DayZ, but I've heard so many mixed things and have experienced the mod. So I'm extremely hesitant to put down $30 on a stand-alone mod that seems to have not changed much from the original mod it left behind. I enjoyed the mod a lot at times, but I wouldn't pay $30 for it. So is there something in this new stand-alone that will make DayZ worth the money in the future?

The developers have spent the last year re-writing the engine in order to shift the load to the server side. Increased performance, more difficult to hack, and many other improvements were side effects of this change, but they weren't able to implement some of the other mechanics.

In the immediate future, Bohemia is looking to add in vehicles, more weapons, rewrite the zombies/melee system, and fortifications.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am curious... tell me more about this 'game'...
The base of the game is that you control a guy's unconscious movements while he goes through the different stages of grief by being stood up by an Asian girl he met at a club, and getting progressively more drunk. And whining. Lots and lots if whining. And bread dipping. Lots of that soup. I don't even know how much bread he's eating.

Xanathus

Rising's port is being worked on by Platinum, LoS was done by a different studio. Hopefully Rising turns out great, but we discovered that the game is locked to 1080p. We have let Platinum know that this is considered very poor, but they may not fix the issue.

TBH it's not an issue for me since I don't have a monitor > 1080p, I'm more concerned about this like framelimit caps and low resolution cutscenes. That reminds me of one more con of Castlevania LoS, they re-used the console's pre-rendered cutscenes which are low-res and seem to run at < 30 FPS.

Danielsan

Quick little giveaway from me:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Warlock -- MB-84FCF6838759DE3B - Taken by Benedict. 2 entrants total.
Dungeonland -- MB-C494679B366C4FD4 - Taken by Oublieux. 5 entrants total.
Leviathan: Warships -- MB-73973375C6C4C263 - Taken by Jignx. 5 entrants total.

t1388047527z1.png

Xanathus

PayDay 2
Call of Cthuuuulu
Starbound

It doesn't make any sense to get DayZ now or anytime soon seeing as it's completely alpha and has way less features and is buggier then even the original mod. Just wait for it to really be finished and then see if it's worth it then.

Seriously guys stop giving Early Access devs money.

maneil99

Alright guys, guess I'll announce it here, I assure this is not for my profit :

So 6 months ago I began trading here, me and a trader known as rash formed a team, he sold the games I did the distribution, I put on a 4% over fee on the majority of the games we sold to make some sort of $. This works great for us, we did over 4000$ in revenue ( Not idea what his margins are ), me making a modest 310$ ( Screw You Assassins Creed 4 )

Over the course of the period I noticed the reason 90% of users were buying from me was they were scared of traders and wanted security within comfortable means. They knew i was not the one in Russia yet felt better
having someone from here get them their games.

With this knowledge I am starting a new system, this is rash's price checking site

http://rash.zz.mu/

This is my paypal email : maneil99@live.ca
I am no longer making any profit, all I ask is to send 3-4 cents more to cover fees.

I am also introducing a tip jar none of this goes to ME or RASH. But rather YOU

Say you buy the walking dead season 2 for 16$ instead of 25, maybe you want to do a giveaway but can't, well by donating 1$ to the tip jar you can help be a part of that. Once enough money is in the tip jar I will purchase a game from Steam and give it away here on steam gaf. This way everyone can contribute to giveaways even if they can not afford to pay.
If you want a game email me the hyperlink ( Red text on the site, pm me and attach a note to the PP )

Again I am doing this as honestly as I can, I want to help not make money and I feel like this is a great idea, none of the risk yet still a discount. You can deal with rash yourself, I call him the grumpy russian just mention my name if you can

Let me know if this is a good idea or not and if this posts belongs here, i think its relevant

Kadin

In the newer versions you do as much or as little as you like. Love setting up tactics, but hate sorting out training routines and signing potential future stars? You can hire and assign all that to staff. Its a game that can take anywhere between 4 and 40 hours to finish just one season. So deep.

Plus, if you want to avoid a lot of the complexity, you can play Football Manager Classic game mode that strips a lot of it out. Great game.
So its basically a full football Sim? Would that be accurate?

All unknown players and made up stats or real world info?

drgambit

Banned
The base of the game is that you control a guy's unconscious movements while he goes through the different stages of grief by being stood up by an Asian girl he met at a club, and getting progressively more drunk. And whining. Lots and lots if whining. And bread dipping. Lots of that soup. I don't even know how much bread he's eating.

Hey, that game sounds familiar...! :D

It doesn't make any sense to get DayZ now or anytime soon seeing as it's completely alpha and has way less features and is buggier then even the original mod. Just wait for it to really be finished and then see if it's worth it then.

I was under the impression that giving money to the devs is the point of Early access.

The developers have spent the last year re-writing the engine in order to shift the load to the server side. Increased performance, more difficult to hack, and many other improvements were side effects of this change, but they weren't able to implement some of the other mechanics.

In the immediate future, Bohemia is looking to add in vehicles, more weapons, rewrite the zombies/melee system, and fortifications.

Thanks, Grief, for that info. I assume it'll be this price for a while longer, so I'll sit on the sidelines and watch some streams/play vids. I hate to doubt the dev's hard work, but my wallet is really resistant. I'm a cheap-ass, if that ain't clear 'nuff. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

PayDay 2
Call of Cthuuuulu
Starbound

PayDay 2 is a lot of fun with friends, and has a lot of updates. Call of Cthulhu is the best Locecraft inspired game to date, which has flaws, but also has some amazing atmosphere, a progressively interesting and gripping slow-burn story, and some fairly difficult but thought-provoking situations to get too (I highly suggest using this mod, which makes the game prettier and fixes a few issues the game has. Namely it fixes a couple game-breaking bugs and makes a few trial-and-error sections, one of the biggest gripes of the the game, less trial and error: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22340/discussions/0/882965239933238214/ ). Haven't played Starbound but have hard good things about it.

All three are solid choices.

Grief.exe

Its been more stable for me than BF4 or the original DayZ mod on release.

Quite a solid starting point, though it is fairly bare bones. We will have to see how fast they can iterate content starting with the new year.

Thanks, Grief, for that info. I assume it'll be this price for a while longer, so I'll sit on the sidelines and watch some streams/play vids. I hate to doubt the dev's hard work, but my wallet is really resistant. I'm a cheap-ass, if that ain't clear 'nuff. :p

Feel free to wait, price won't increase for a long time.

PayDay 2
Call of Cthuuuulu
Starbound

Get Rust instead, it's more fleshed out at the moment and it seems that a lot of people are preferring it to Day Z at the moment. Also if you go for the Yogcast bundle for 25 bucks, you'll get a lot of other games with it at the same time.

waby

Wouldn't recommend.

I'm having enough trouble balancing steam sales and the recent 3ds games I've bought - Luigi's mansion 2, Harvest moon : ANB, attack of the friday monsters, liberation maiden and crimson shroud.

That plus I have a subscription in FFXIV... 24 hours is not enough anymore...

Lingitiz

Wouldn't recommend.

I've pretty much reconciled that most of my time and money will go to my PC, but it's still really nice to have a 3DS as a palette cleanser.

KJ869

Some people are guessing they do Arma III again and the price jumpst a lot when it goes out of early access

steadfast

Merry Christmas, SteamGaf. I know it's not much.

Though i am mostly a lurker in the steam threads i have been following them for a long, long time and they are some of the most pleasent threads on the board. Time to give back, i hope this works.

Thanks Waku!

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
My friend was going to buy Skyrim at $7.50, so I did him a favor and bought him the Legendary edition for $20 and said he could just give me $7.50 later. The main reason he wanted it (he'd already played it on 360) is the modding potential. The Macho Man dragon mod is the first thing he's going to add, as well as the world loading mod and some minor game fixes.

One thing I was interested in was an online multiplayer mod we've heard about. Is it playable? I tried watching some videos but all the people are awful, and I checked some site with the mod but the installation process was almost as much work as DayZ, so I'd rather just ask if I should even bother with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The "tip jar" is a nice idea. On a personal note, the system rash has designed for himself is quite ingenious but since he periodically stops accepting PayPal and his profit margin increases the more expensive an item is I eventually began to look elsewhere. Still, for cheaper stuff he's handy to have around when my usual guy isn't online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom