• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

I've seen a lot of people say Valdis Story is good, but, looking at it, I don't see the appeal. Guacamelee's appeal is obvious (whether you like it or not), as is Rogue Legacy's. What makes Valdis Story special? What's the appeal?

Also I know this is the internet and there's a better than nonexistent chance my post will be construed as antagonistic, but that's actually a serious question: why is everyone so in love with Valdis?

I've been under the impression that it has an impressively deep and responsive combat system, which caught my attention, but I don't know for sure. Hopefully some folks who've played it can chime in with impressions.

Tame

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
Big Jobs Inc is giving away a Steam key to all you wouldbe truckers out there. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-784689A1F2A3B40D - Taken by _hekk05. 15 entrants total.

t1388057518z1.png
Hopefully this works

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does DLC ever go down in price? The skyrim DLC is almost as much as buying the entire fucking game all over again...

I can't say any examples come to mind, but the Skyrim DLC isn't region-locked so you can pick it up on the cheap from a trader.

jediyoshi

Is there a way to look up price history for games removed from steam?

Just scooped up fable 3 for 3 keys and I already forgot how much it originally went for

edit: scratch that, still up on isthereanydeal

Coreda

Gaahdamn. Clicked continue on the PayPal Steam page to confirm and then the tab auto-closed. Opened it again and it says ' Your transaction is almost complete! Click here if nothing happens.'

Clicked the link and it brings up a Firefox dialog asking to open with the Steam app. Nothing happens. Never had this issue before, but then again I used to use Opera. Hmm.

Checked PayPal and no recent transactions are recorded. I guess I'll have to retry?

Edit: working now.

derExperte

I've seen a lot of people say Valdis Story is good, but, looking at it, I don't see the appeal. Guacamelee's appeal is obvious (whether you like it or not), as is Rogue Legacy's. What makes Valdis Story special? What's the appeal?

Why is Guacamelee's appeal obvious and Valdis' isn't?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Also I know this is the internet and there's a better than nonexistent chance my post will be construed as antagonistic, but that's actually a serious question: why is everyone so in love with Valdis?

The atmosphere and build of the game reminds me more of castlevania but with some beat-em up mechanics in combat. Skill tree also exists and the dungeon is vast. It's sorta like maple story meets castlevania.

Benedict

Quote for new page. some keys are still available.
Of the games I tried Space Pirates and Zombies is easily the best of the bunch, so it's a bit strange to see it still untouched.
Both SPAZ and Nuclear Dawn have trading cards. So I'm basically giving away free money here :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Doc Clock The Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-7A366274D7B723F4

Nuclear Dawn -- MB-92E817956ACD9E04 - Taken by bobnowhere

Plain Sight -- MB-5CA67EBAA3BCCA70 - Taken by Pranay_

Link to original post

Caerith

Why is Guacamelee's appeal obvious and Valdis' isn't?

I haven't played either game or done much research on either. I've seen a few screenshots from Guacamelee though and can tell it's a day of the dead themed metroidvania brawler loaded with pop culture references. The screens I've seen of Valdis Story don't really stand out or sell me on it.

The atmosphere and build of the game reminds me more of castlevania but with some beat-em up mechanics in combat. Skill tree also exists and the dungeon is vast. It's sorta like maple story meets castlevania.
What's a maple story?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Guacamelee get, -75% finally. I like that most of what I voted for has been winning in the community vote, that didn't happen so much in the summer sale.

Lain

Art style and atmosphere plus tight gameplay. There is a certain degree of customization about building up your character's abilities and the fighting mechanics work really well, with some hard but fun boss battles, where dodging attacks, building a good string of combo attacks and exploiting patterns makes the difference between ending up dead or alive, and sometimes being alive isn't that cool because you maybe got a bad grade for the boss battle, which means bad stats reward (or no stat reward at all), so you reload and re-try.
It feels a bit like a lite version of a Castlevania SOTN, with a more robust fighting system. At least that's how it felt to me playing it.

VandalD

I've been under the impression that it has an impressively deep and responsive combat system, which caught my attention, but I don't know for sure. Hopefully some folks who've played it can chime in with impressions.
Played it to apparent completion once on normal difficulty. It feels incomplete. Ending comes out of nowhere. It's a short game, but there's a decent amount of potential for replayability of you're into higher difficulty levels or trying to beat the game as fast as you can. There are also things you'll probably miss on your first run through, and two characters to play through it with. The combat is fun with all the spells, dashing, and blocking with timed parry. I don't know how much game length matters to you, and I can't compare it to Guacamelee because I haven't played it yet (but I will, thanks sale!) but I would say to wait for a steeper discount than 40% unless you love replaying these kinds of games.

Edit: Agreed with everything Lain said.

Also had to get Cook, Serve, Delicious. Sips convinced me to buy it.

Caerith

Art style and atmosphere plus tight gameplay. There is a certain degree of customization about building up your character's abilities and the fighting mechanics work really well, with some hard but fun boss battles, where dodging attacks, building a good string of combo attacks and exploiting patterns makes the difference between ending up dead or alive, and sometimes being alive isn't that cool because you maybe got a bad grade for the boss battle, which means bad stats reward (or no stat reward at all), so you reload and re-try.
It feels a bit like a lite version of a Castlevania SOTN, with a more robust fighting system. At least that's how it felt to me playing it.
So... 2D Devil May Cry?

kudoboi

does gucamalee have a constant objective? i know some people like this sort of game but i don't really like games that don't have a objective eg: fez

Apdiddy

Ended up getting Payday, Cook Serve Delicious, How To Survive and finally just bite on Valdis Story and Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I want to keep repping Cook, Serve, Delicious until it is obvious that I'm a viral marketer and I get permed. This despite the fact that I haven't played it and the only thing I know about it is it was made by a GAF'er. I doubt I'll even play it within the next 6 months given my backlog.

HEY EVERYONE BUY COOK SERVE DELICIOUS FOR SOME REASON.

Caerith

That's pretty apt, but no quick weapon swapping. Able to cancel things into each other as long as you're on the ground.

No air cancels? Well, at least now I have a better idea of what it is. Equipment is also like DMC, where you get set stuff and can upgrade it? I'm asking because the other 2D(-ish) game with awesome combat (including air cancels) is a loot game, and I don't always love random loot.

Hopefully someone doesn't have it already and wants it, really great tower defense game.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-D6709291FC0C7966 - Taken by Mengy

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I still do not even remotely understand the huge appeal of this game. Why would I want to drive a truck for hours on a highway? No one has been able to explain the game's appeal.

Did you ever play Elite or Privateer? Did you like them? If you did, then there is a very good chance you would like playing Euro Truck Simulator 2, because ETS2 is the Elite of driving sims. Think Elite on wheels with internet radio. A fun, relaxing yet tense at times game to play, it's a driving game mixed with business management elements and experience levels with skill points.

It's honestly my game of the year, and I'm not even joking...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why is Starbound selling so well? What is so good or potentially interesting about that game that makes people want to click "buy" for 15 bucks? The sprite design is so bad. I want to know so that my game can sell a million copies and I never have to work again.

Nabs

Why is Starbound selling so well? What is so good or potentially interesting about that game that makes people want to click "buy" for 15 bucks? The sprite design is so bad. I want to know so that my game can sell a million copies and I never have to work again.

They sprinkled some crack on it.

does gucamalee have a constant objective? i know some people like this sort of game but i don't really like games that don't have a objective eg: fez

Yep. It's a straight-forward metroid-like game. It pushes you towards the next goal and gives out upgrades like candy.

Caerith

Starbound = Terraria... in space!
Terraria = 2D Minecraft

Thus:

Starbound = 2D Minecraft... in space!

Grossly oversimplified, but there you have it.

Echoplx

So I was checking the Endless Space forums and apparently you have to buy the highest tier of the devs new early access game to get the latest piece of content (A new faction)

Seems kinda shady.

So I was checking the Endless Space forums and apparently you have to buy the highest tier of their new early access game to get the latest piece of content (A new faction)

Seems kinda shady.

That's really lame, it should be the other way around, buy the emperor edition and get some extra for their new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom