• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleinc

Banned
I still do not even remotely understand the huge appeal of this game. Why would I want to drive a truck for hours on a highway? No one has been able to explain the game's appeal.
When you don't get paid for driving a truck it's supposed to be fun I guess.

Not even if I put it in my inventory first?

Nope, it just gets added as Skryim:Legendary edition, it doesn't add the dlc until you redeem it. Straight poop in my opinion but it is what it is, and for what it's worth this is a publisher decision since Valve games are giftable if you buy extra copies in a bundle.

I think its a bit of a novelty thing. I found it fairly enjoyable for a small period of time, but even as a huge fan of driving, it gets boring pretty quickly. The trucks are extremely slow. I mean, pulling away from a stop is painful(once the initial thrill wears off). The environments get repetitive and the locations are ridiculously repetitive and lack any unique character. The challenge of parking goes away pretty quickly once you've got it down.

Basically, its long-term appeal comes down to how much you just want to just sit there and listen to the radio as you mindlessly cruise from place to place.

Can I pick up hitch-hikers and dump their violated corpses into the back of my truck and sweat over potential border checkpoints. I love the smell of rotten corpses in the morning. Or will that be in the sequel?

I still do not even remotely understand the huge appeal of this game. Why would I want to drive a truck for hours on a highway? No one has been able to explain the game's appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rnJ11DNM8k

I doubted the games greatness before I played it, but it's legitimately awesome. I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do if I didn't have a wheel though. Having a wheel makes backing up into spots much more natural and makes you feel like a boss. It's not really as fun with a gamepad or kb+m imo, although the management aspects and streaming radio stations might still make it worth playing

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think its a bit of a novelty thing. I found it fairly enjoyable for a small period of time, but even as a huge fan of driving, it gets boring pretty quickly. The trucks are extremely slow. I mean, pulling away from a stop is painful(once the initial thrill wears off). The environments get repetitive and the locations are ridiculously repetitive and lack any unique character. The challenge of parking goes away pretty quickly once you've got it down.

Basically, its long-term appeal comes down to how much you just want to just sit there and listen to the radio as you mindlessly cruise from place to place.

That's exactly what how it seems in my head. It seems like people that love it must be on a completely different wavelength than me. Like maybe they should do that as their job if it's awesome enough for them to actually pay to do it.

Caerith

I don't know how to explain the appeal, but if you really want to know, why not try the demo?

Deques

Not even if I put it in my inventory first?

You are out of luck.
I was in the same boat as you. I only owned the base game and only wanted the dlcs. But luckily GAME.co.uk sold a Skyrim bundle which had the separate keys. I redeemed only the dlcs

Divius

Good morning. Overslept and missed the vote :( I see Guacamelee won though, so that's cool. What were the other choices?

Also should I pick up Guacamelee?

Also what should I vote for?

Copons

Can I pick up hitch-hikers and dump their violated corpses into the back of my truck and sweat over potential border checkpoints. I love the smell of rotten corpses in the morning. Or will that be in the sequel?

As soon as they implement online multiplayer, we'll be able to do that stuff together! <3

redfirm

Banned
Good morning. Overslept and missed the vote :( I see Guacamelee won though, so that's cool. What were the other choices?

Also should I pick up Guacamelee?

Also what should I vote for?

people are asking for interstellar so help them out if you can, pick up Guacamelee

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I don't get it either. Sounds like a chore.

It is weirdly relaxing and addicting. Driving on the highway, listening to European radio is fantastic. You take jobs that you want. So do you go for high ticket items or long distance driving? Completely up to you. There is a leveling system that you can use to increase the pay off for certain types of jobs (long distance, fastest time, etc).

Soon after you take out a loan, you are able to hire people and buy your trucks. Which adds another element. The people you recuirt have different traits and will have different strengths and weakness. Some are fast drivers, but may only transport smaller ticket items. Stuff like that.

There is a good range of trucks that affect performance for not only yourself, but your drivers. You can customize the trucks to make it look your own.

The meat of the potatoes for me, was just driving. I know it sounds like a chore, but there is something about it that is relaxing. There are penalties for being late, for crashing, for speeding, for damaging the cargo. There is a huge selection of radio stations to listen in on. For the love of god, listen to them, as it adds to the experience.

Euro Truck is like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon or Papers Please. Reading about it makes you wonder why the fuck you would ever want to play it, then you play it and understand why.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope Interstellar Marines wins as a 66% discount would knock the Spearhead Edition down to about $6.25 on Steam RU.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you loved Demon's Souls you shouldn't be disappointed, unless your name is Yoshichan.
And/or you're playing with a fucked up hand.
Key word here is shouldn't! When Demon's Souls turned out to be the best game of this entire generation, one would simply expect nothing less from its spiritual successor...

Yeah. GMG and Amazon have been spanking Steam when it comes to sales, both in variety and percentage off.
I don't doubt it but Amazon has their own issues when it comes to discoverability. It's more of an effort to find out what is discounted, when. I just cannot be bothered to put in the effort to browse all those deals only to make a mental note to visit Amazon in 6 days.

Lain

Someone really needs to convince me. Is it really that fun game?

Initially you think "what could be fun about buying recipes, setting up a menu and then serving food to the incoming people?", then it turns out to be a battle between you and the oncoming orders during rush hours (because when you're a nobody, not many people seems to come to eat), with time decreasing before people get fed up if you don't get to them in time, which, if you don't plan your menu well, could happen a lot as chores pile up and you can't cook something if you're throwing out the trash or washing stuff etc.

Yes, the game is fun, far more than one could initially think. It requires some strategy and a bit of skill to make and serve that food fast.

cicero

It is weirdly relaxing and addicting. Driving on the highway, listening to European radio is fantastic. You take jobs that you want. So do you go for high ticket items or long distance driving? Completely up to you. There is a leveling system that you can use to increase the pay off for certain types of jobs (long distance, fastest time, etc).

Soon after you take out a loan, you are able to hire people and buy your trucks. Which adds another element. The people you recuirt have different traits and will have different strengths and weakness. Some are fast drivers, but may only transport smaller ticket items. Stuff like that.

There is a good range of trucks that affect performance for not only yourself, but your drivers. You can customize the trucks to make it look your own.

The meat of the potatoes for me, was just driving. I know it sounds like a chore, but there is something about it that is relaxing. There are penalties for being late, for crashing, for speeding, for damaging the cargo. There is a huge selection of radio stations to listen in on. For the love of god, listen to them, as it adds to the experience.

Euro Truck is like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon or Papers Please. Reading about it makes you wonder why the fuck you would ever want to play it, then you play it and understand why.
Thanks for the review. Specifically the Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! DLC though, is THAT worth the current $3.24 it is reduced to?

Li Kao

Thanks to emiranda061288 for Shank 2 !
With this new addition to my backlog I'm thinking of doing a Shank 1-2 play soon. Thanks again !

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Vote Interstellar Marines PLEASE!

Honestly wanted to, but I've wanted more Dungeon Keeper for a long time, so the other caught my eye. Hope Interstellar Marines comes back around as well (actually, I'm guessing War for the Overworld won't win anyway).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I have some extra Half-Life 2: Episode 2s laying around if anyone wants one for free. PM me if you want one.

I don't doubt it but Amazon has their own issues when it comes to discoverability. It's more of an effort to find out what is discounted, when. I just cannot be bothered to put in the effort to browse all those deals only to make a mental note to visit Amazon in 6 days.

That's not the issue - the sale lists have been available on Reddit and other sites for days.

Like I said, my issue is with the fact that most of the sales we're seeing on Steam are just being rehashed from the autumn sale.

There's nothing right now that's really comparable to Amazon's $5 Tomb Raider/$1 Fable/$2 ACM/$3.75 Castle of Illusion/$1.19 Quantum Conundrum (price error) or GMG's NBA 2K14/Remember Me/Orange Box/RE6/SSFIV deals. Most of Steam's flash deals are focused on indie games, which is fine, but there haven't been any huge surprises besides the initial BI Season pass glitch.

-MD-

Euro Truck is like Papers Please. Reading about it makes you wonder why the fuck you would ever want to play it, then you play it and understand why.

Now explain why people like Papers, Please. I tried that the other day for an hour and I was just proof reading stuff.

I didn't get it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Thanks for the review. Specifically the Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! DLC though, is THAT worth the current $3.24 it is reduced to?

I havent brought since I was waiting for the sale. I read that it adds a lot of variety into the mix, in terms of different landscape while driving. No new trucks which is disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom