• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Gamestop is still offering 30% extra credit if you buy a steam card. I managed to get exactly $20 for Pokemon X, so free steam card for me :D

do these games support wheels? G27 could be fun driving a truck with lol

Yup, they're actually designed for wheels but you can use a 360 controller just fine too if you configure the controls to it properly. It also supports that TrackIR thing.

Sullichin

I disagree.

You may have better stats or gear, but that won't save you if you're dexterous or careful. Hell, you can pretty much go far with your starting hero if you're very careful. The fact that the whole thing is randomly generated means you can't traverse the same entry twice.

I'm still burned by that game due to GAF recommendation. I can still feel the scars.

I mean I'm really bad at the game, but I don't know about this. It seems like you do hardly any damage at all to the first boss on a fresh character, and you die very quickly. It wasn't until I started dying/grinding out levels that I was able to make some progress. I do wonder if it's like Dark Souls that in if you're good enough, you can beat it without ever leveling up, but it doesn't seem like that's a focus of the design (and I'm too terrible at the game to find out). I love Rogue Legacy though.

For me it's a harder game than Guacamelee. Guacamelee was challenging for me in the last 1/3 or so of the game, though. Some platforming and combat sections took me forever to beat.

Thanks, that sounds ok, but not sure if it's worth the additional $5 to double dip

Ah I forgot the improved boss fights. I havent replayed the game since I bought TDC so I cant speak on the quality of the boss fights now but I've heard they are quite a bit better.

Tizoc

Darkness 2 is $6 over at GMG, and can be gotten for under $5 with the 20% discount code.

Also The Bureau's on sale, and can be gotten for $10 with GMG's discount code.

I loved Guacamelee on PS3 but actually stopped playing once I got to the later parts whre you had a ton of wall jumping with the dimensional swapping stuff... At some point it was just too much for me (I'm not much of a platformer guy but I love metroidvania)... That's really too bad cause I really loved everything else in the game.

this exactly happened to me too, I got tired and I quit

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Half Life 2 -- MB-B6A4491D250A5D94 - Taken by Kirosia

I hope I didn't screw this up cuz I'm sure there's gonna be a ton of demand for Left 4 Dead 1 today.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dungeons: Steam Special Edition -- MB-FAB504F29A1DB3A0 - Taken by Sarcasm. 10 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality: Inception Part 2 DLC -- MB-9E13CBA93F44FE30 - Taken by Natty1. 2 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality: Inception Part 3 DLC -- MB-09B385D4F651C4CC - Taken by fspm
Half-Life -- MB-F345D723AAFA73C0 - Taken by Omega Rex. 6 entrants total.
Revenge of the Titans -- MB-2E9029C4C1648BE2 - Taken by theMrCravens. 1 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-5A353D74003CEA58 - Taken by lindarasta
Shattered Haven -- MB-7D274FE92DEDF0B6 - Taken by Eanan. 3 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality: Inception Part 1 DLC -- MB-D8C35CFAE5EAE7B0 - Taken by Yozi. 1 entrants total.
Puzzler World -- MB-2FAB063733406AAF - Taken by dinopoke. 9 entrants total.
Titan Attacks! -- MB-CB05375AFF1D6F3D - Taken by wetflame. 5 entrants total.
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-B6570275748B1882 - Taken by darkchewie
Left 4 Dead -- MB-7EA6E5D41DC5C372 - Taken by gimel. 7 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-23AB3D2F0DC7C7C5 - Taken by redfirm. 2 entrants total.

t1388076058z1.png

My turn. Not much but I'll give RE5 out later.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Grimm Fandango, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition -- MB-23F81E83971760B6 - Taken by 2n2. 6 entrants total.

t1388076213z1.png

Just ended an FTL session. Managed to get to the Rebel Mothership and beat it with one HP left, all happy and dandy. Then I jump to a repair location and it turns out I've only damaged the mothership so naturally, it wiped the galactic floor with me.

This game can break a man's soul.

ZeroCoin

Adding to the page of giveaways....

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

The Bard's Tale -- MB-F22C4BE1B8E446D7 - Taken by Maxwood. 10 entrants total.
Solar 2 -- MB-3186D84B94F1A842 - Taken by StAidan. 6 entrants total.

t1388076599z1.png

Raxus

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-0BB978573FC57533 - Taken by Hanzou. 53 entrants total.

t1388076554z1.png

Best of luck!

tmarques

If Cook, Serve, Delicious! looks even mildly interesting, give it a shot especially at that price. I was never one to enjoy weird indie games with food(?) but for some reason* I had to have it and so far I've really enjoyed it. The gameplay + theme combination works nearly flawlessly, much like it does in some other games like Papers, Please.

I played the demo and while fun I don't see myself investing more than a couple of hours into it. Does the gameplay become more varied in the full game?

And I know this sounds horrible, but I have a hard time buying these indie games because you know that at some point it will be part of a Humble Bundle.

Wok

If you like to collect stuff, be careful with Dota 2 and the Steam meta-game (cards and badges): I have spent this year as much for these two "games" as I have spent to build the rest of my Steam library (since the beginning). Dota 2 is especially good at giving incentives to spend money. I am going to restrain myself for the new year.

Momentary

Banned
Come on Interstellar Marines!

Also, Amazon has ACIV GOLD for $60. This makes me believe that Steam will either match them or beat them in this sale.

I played the demo and while fun I don't see myself investing more than a couple of hours into it. Does the gameplay become more varied in the full game?

And I know this sounds horrible, but I have a hard time buying these indie games because you know that at some point it will be part of a Humble Bundle.
What's more important, getting the game cheap or supporting a worthy and talented developer?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
True, making a run with your early characters (few deaths) would be very difficult and requiring genuine skill, but it's not completely necessary, outside of personal choice to play in such a way, and trying to mitigate the loss of time.

I beat all but the true final boss, pre-patch (said patch makes it easier I believe), and I can easily say it is entirely possible with just the scant few upgrades and what is found in the cast (blueprints, runes, stat boosts, etc).
I can not recommend it to anyone though to attempt outside those who really want a "hard mode" with a fair amount of challenge. While it deals away with the "grinding" as it's no longer a focus, it is not a game designed around such a concept like a lot of action adventure games with RPG-lite elements of the past decade and as such won't be a lot of fun to most. The final boss in particular can be beaten, but even I gave up after a try because I just felt I needed more abilities or stats to take away any tedious actions of constantly failing or at least seeing the same patterns three times the amount the average player would in that situation.
The game was made to constantly improve the character all the time, to get all those various abilities, to always have a sense of progression as much as in character as in what you've defeated and are moving onto next, and it's clear when you play it as I did, that's not how the developers wanted you to play it.

I can however recommend play the game again in different ways, trying for different builds for added, and fun, challenge via different armour and rune layouts. Going for a specific type of play (more spells than health, pure vampire, all out attack, etc).

Sorry for that brief tangent off comparison of difficulty. I just really like the fact Rogue Legacy did indeed allow such a different way to play, and while I personally grew frustrated at the very end and wouldn't recommend it to most, it's quite impressive that it does allow such an option with fun to be had when most games only want you to play a specific way and no other.

Playing Rouge Legacy and Super House of Dead Ninjas is leaving me with all kinds of RAGE!

RAGE or RAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE!? I prefer the latter, especially against all those chickens and red spikes. What is it with games with randomly generated levels and red spikes?

wilflare

ModBot said:
Instructions for wilflare:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Strike Suit Zero -- MB-4D537118A9978A99 - Taken by Htown. 26 entrants total.

t1388076959z1.png

thanks for being awesome guys :D

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I just found out there are still people who don't own and/or haven't played Psychonauts! :/
...there isn't anyone without that gem in here, right?

backdrifter

Neo Member
Fine, you all convinced me.....what's another game I'll never play added to the pile. On my way to more cards, though!

I bought it with the expectation of getting a good 3 or 4 hours from it before I'd have tired of the whole thing.

Current play time total stands at 23 hours...

rtcn63

I just found out there are still people who don't own and/or haven't played Psychonauts! :/
...there isn't anyone without that gem in here, right?

I played it a long time ago on PS2, don't own it now. It was fun, and I think I made it to the docks (story-wise). Not the the greatest platformer in the world, but it was competent and had personality.

Bizazedo

There seems to be a copy of Hacker Evolution in the giveaway above that hasn't been taken. Go for it.

I didn't want to enter for something I might hate when someone who actively is pursuing it wanted it.

I am picky :*(. Should see the lack of variety in my diet, it's horrifying / unhealthy.

Two more for you guys.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Grimm Fandango, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 5 -- MB-73D9F8E0E01D74DF - Taken by Last Baron. 36 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-10B491F970DA1A36 - Taken by Prophane33. 4 entrants total.

t1388077414z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom