• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
You fuckers arent making this easy. Im now sitting on the purchase page. Damn you steam!

Buy it

guacamelee_03_thumb.jpg

DukeBobby

Just picked up Cook, Serve, Delicious. Not really the sort of game I usually play, but it's nice to support one of our own.

I'll give it a shot.

I just found out there are still people who don't own and/or haven't played Psychonauts! :/
...there isn't anyone without that gem in here, right?

Man, I bought it on Amazon a few years ago and played it on my O.G. Xbox, and I didn't get what the hype was all about. I mean, it was fun I guess. But people had made it seem like it was Super Mario Galaxy-levels of awesomeness, and I felt like Psychonauts didn't hold a candle to it. The humor and writing was great though, I will definitely give it credit for that.

fozzy

Do you play with a controller or the arrows on your keyboard? I can't find a way to play this with any degree of accuracy...

finding the d-pad on controller easiest. 13 seconds something is my record. 'OH COME ON I WAS THROUGH THERE!'

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So much stuff that I really want to buy:

* Eurotruck Sim 2

The second is about to go down, meanwhile I'll keep playing ALBTW :)

Only one you need. Who cares about the other two. Gogogogogogogogogogogogogogo buy it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What is the gaf opinion on Guacamelee? I never really gave it a chance when it first game out. Seemed like a boring beat em up. But the description says metroidvania.. which I love.

What is the game like?

It's a Metroidvania in the side scroller action sense while you will return to areas with new abilities to go through colour coordinated blocs and the occasional hard to reach area with platforming skills, but it's not a "find 100% of the map" type that many Castlevanias are nor the most skill challenging in terms of finding or getting through 95% of the areas.

If you don't mind very slight spoilers. Compare this map To this map
That is generally the type of map discovery you will do, though there was still a couple of clever path that I felt rewarded for discovering and making my way through, especially as a chicken. Hmm, lots of chickens in modern 2D games.

It's still quite good and fun, with quite responsive combat that only gets better the more abilities you gain, and a genuine sense of design that won't make it hard for you to want to come back to get through that easily reached Green block barred pathway once you have the new special attack move. It's a well made game that most can get into for one reason or another. Co-op can help take care of any problems around combat.

Mind you I played most of it on the promise of challenging platforming that did indeed come later. My desire for Metroidvania design was not sated, rather a nice snack of a taste.

marrec

Banned
You fuckers arent making this easy. Im now sitting on the purchase page. Damn you steam!

Some of the best platforming of the last year and they even manage to keep the combat varied and fun throughout. Really no reason to skip the game unless you hate moderately difficult platforming sections.

XShagrath

Don't know if this has been stated yet, but...

STEAM WALLET DEALS

Best Buy's got them for 5% off, and you get a $15 gift card for spending over $100 in store/online.

If you have the Target REDCard, you can pricematch Best Buy and get an additional 5% off. I snagged a $50 card for $41.50 just a few minutes ago.

Copons

Guacamelee is one of the better Metroid wannabes of the last few years. Too much meme bullshit but it's easily ignored.

As somebody mentione earlier, it's main problem is that at some point its mechanics, which are original and funny at first, become bullshit hard to deal with, especially in secret rooms (Tree Tops, Cueva de la Locura, some stuff in El Infierno, etc.).

Grief.exe

Don't know if this has been stated yet, but...

STEAM WALLET DEALS

Best Buy's got them for 5% off, and you get a $15 gift card for spending over $100 in store/online.

If you have the Target REDCard, you can pricematch Best Buy and get an additional 5% off. I snagged a $50 card for $41.50 just a few minutes ago.

That is almost 2-4 free games.

Just bought Cook, serve, delicious! It looks like it's a really fun game. I haven't played a game about food in a looong time. And obviously it's better to learn how to make a pizza in a game than in real life lol

Bossniak

I hope this works.
ModBot said:
Instructions for akskiller:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Just Cause 2 -- MB-BCF674E4836FF744 - Taken by ichtyander

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Keep in mind he might of wanted L4D1 for collecting purposes. Why I got it, but also a friend was nice an gifted it to me (gave them a spare game I had on hand back, though).

Tizoc

Aight here we go!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cook, Serve Delicious -- MB-AEDD9EDB7963C992

header_292x136.jpg

Castle of Illusion HD -- MB-FDC0B3F9404FA51B

t1388164664z1.png

Freezard

I'm aware, I really want to have the steam version of L4D1.

Just buy it when it's on sale. It's so worth it.

Also I tried the JC2 multiplayer yesterday... seemed very barebone though unfortunately. No missions or anything, but it was fun messing around with vehicles that you can spawn from a menu and then hold shift to make them go super fast :D

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Man, I bought it on Amazon a few years ago and played it on my O.G. Xbox, and I didn't get what the hype was all about. I mean, it was fun I guess. But people had made it seem like it was Super Mario Galaxy-levels of awesomeness, and I felt like Psychonauts didn't hold a candle to it. The humor and writing was great though, I will definitely give it credit for that.
Comparing Psychonauts with the Galaxy games sounds really weird. I mean, it's more of an adventure game, but with solid platforming. Lots of hidden goodies, not only in the collectable kind. I wandered around Camp for hours, discovering all kinds of stuff and hidden, funny dialogues. :)

Jawmuncher

I like the image with the guy with the beard
This guy looks like a creeper. Like he's going to do more than just eat that soup.

header_292x136.jpg

Omega

Banned
why is it that the store works, but the community features don't?

I would think the store would be broken during a sale, not the other stuff.

Vlodril

Jesus steam hates me today. Now i got disconnected the app closed and it wont log in. could n ot connect to the steam network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom