• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

Is it me or the storefront update completely broke the mobile store? I'm trying to buy a game and it's impossible: the search doesn't work, the pics don't load, if you want to put it in your inventory or gift it you can't check the other options...

Edit: nvm I restarted the app and worked perfectly

Hanzou

Hmm I bought a game from the app on my phone yesterday morning. I think the app and the mobile version of the site are almost identical.

MrPanic

Urgh, for some reason that GTA complete pack is starting to look really tempting, but if I bite I'm pretty much through my sale budget. Gotta restrain myself.

Ark

Urgh, for some reason that GTA complete pack is starting to look really tempting, but if I bite I'm pretty much through my sale budget. Gotta restrain myself.

GTAV releases on PC in just over a month, you'd be better off waiting for that IMO.

GreenManGaming just updated. Really surprised how much DR3 is holding it's value:

ifxwIV6.png

Sch1sm

That has potential for hundreds of hours to go to waste if you decide to go through every single different course of action in the game, if you do bite on it.

Adventis

Can't seem to buy anything wtf? Both the client and the web store are borked.

Keeps giving me this message:
"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

And I must have tried 50 times already. Anyone else having the same problem?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey guys how great is Trails in the Sky huh? So great. Glad I bought it. I'm pretty much done with getting what I wanted to get, MG:Rising Shadow Warrior and Trails in the Sky.

Some impressions for Waking Mars:

The gameplay: You'll notice the tags on this one are all over the place. Action, Adventure, Puzzle, Platformer, Exploration, Metroidvania...I'd say that's not entirely accurate. How you play is by collecting "seeds" from various "plants" (the game mentions they're not exactly seeds and plants, but it'll be close enough for your purposes) and planting them elsewhere in various fertile spots. The puzzle is to get enough biomass (plant points) to open cerebranes (plant doors) to get to the next room(s.) It's tougher than it sounds since there are various plants whose sole existence seems to be based around fucking up your day. Some plants produce explosives and shoot their seeds all over the place, destroying plants. Some plants produce spores that change the acidity of the soil, destroying anything that might be planted there. And of course there's dripping acid and fireballs, because what puzzle game would be without dripping acid and fireballs?

If I had to frame the gameplay at all, it would be a puzzle game with strong resource management and light exploration elements. And it mostly works. The biggest frustration would be the physics of the floating seeds - getting them to fertile spots is like herding cats.

The story: The year is 2097. You play astronaut/botanist Dr. Liang Qi (or is that Qi Liang?) who is tasked with studying these plant things ("zoa") with the help of Dr. Amani Ronga, who is a computer engineer of some kind, and ART, a computer who had his speech patterns reverted to a build from the 2040s as a practical joke. At first, researching is exactly what you do - you get to experiment with the plants to fill out checklists like "diet" and "vulnerabilities," but, as with most games, things suddenly get more complex and you're forced to step outside the bounds of the original mission. It's not terribly deep, you don't get too far into the characterization of the protagonist and assistant, but they keep a nice balance between a personal and professional relationship, and the voices are well done. It's interesting that one of the major revelations is finding liquid water on Mars - something we found for real just this year - so the story is already partly obsolete in that regard.

The length: It took me 9 hours to finish the normal ending. There's a "special" ending but I'm not sure if I'm even gonna try for it. Getting enough points to open doors is easy. Getting maximum points varies from challenging to hard as shit, for reasons that aren't always your fault (if a floating plant gets hit by an errant drop of acid, say goodbye to 40 points.) so I'm sure if you're aiming for the "special ending" you can probably get a few more hours of mileage out of this game.

The graphics: Simple. Indie. Some better than others. Some of the animations are reminiscent of a latter-day Flash game. The character portraits are great. The landscapes can be repetitive, for obvious reasons. All the plants have a distinct look so it's never unclear just what you're dealing with. The only thing that's not always clear is the thickness of the doors. Sometimes it's hard to tell which level of biomass (how many stars' worth of points) you need to open them, so in that respect each level becomes "Okay, three stars, did I do it? Nope? Okay, moving on."

The verdict: It's currently on sale for 2 bucks on Steam. It's a neat little adventure with good puzzles. Is it worth that price? I'm inclined to say yes.

How's Endless Legend/Space?

Both EL and ES are good. They have a sleek presentation and dedicated developers working to improve them every patch. The AI and combat of both leave room to be desired, but there's still a lot of fun to be had. Although imperfect, you can't go wrong buying either of them.

One note, if you're getting Endless Space make sure to get the expansion pack Disharmony - it adds some cool stuff.

Some impressions for Waking Mars:

The gameplay: You'll notice the tags on this one are all over the place. Action, Adventure, Puzzle, Platformer, Exploration, Metroidvania...I'd say that's not entirely accurate. How you play is by collecting "seeds" from various "plants" (the game mentions they're not exactly seeds and plants, but it'll be close enough for your purposes) and planting them elsewhere in various fertile spots. The puzzle is to get enough biomass (plant points) to open cerebranes (plant doors) to get to the next room(s.) It's tougher than it sounds since there are various plants whose sole existence seems to be based around fucking up your day. Some plants produce explosives and shoot their seeds all over the place, destroying plants. Some plants produce spores that change the acidity of the soil, destroying anything that might be planted there. And of course there's dripping acid and fireballs, because what puzzle game would be without dripping acid and fireballs?

If I had to frame the gameplay at all, it would be a puzzle game with strong resource management and light exploration elements. And it mostly works. The biggest frustration would be the physics of the floating seeds - getting them to fertile spots is like herding cats.

The story: The year is 2097. You play astronaut/botanist Dr. Liang Qi (or is that Qi Liang?) who is tasked with studying these plant things ("zoa") with the help of Dr. Amani Ronga, who is a computer engineer of some kind, and ART, a computer who had his speech patterns reverted to a build from the 2040s as a practical joke. At first, researching is exactly what you do - you get to experiment with the plants to fill out checklists like "diet" and "vulnerabilities," but, as with most games, things suddenly get more complex and you're forced to step outside the bounds of the original mission. It's not terribly deep, you don't get too far into the characterization of the protagonist and assistant, but they keep a nice balance between a personal and professional relationship, and the voices are well done. It's interesting that one of the major revelations is finding liquid water on Mars - something we found for real just this year - so the story is already partly obsolete in that regard.

The length: It took me 9 hours to finish the normal ending. There's a "special" ending but I'm not sure if I'm even gonna try for it. Getting enough points to open doors is easy. Getting maximum points varies from challenging to hard as shit, for reasons that aren't always your fault (if a floating plant gets hit by an errant drop of acid, say goodbye to 40 points.) so I'm sure if you're aiming for the "special ending" you can probably get a few more hours of mileage out of this game.

The graphics: Simple. Indie. Some better than others. Some of the animations are reminiscent of a latter-day Flash game. The character portraits are great. The landscapes can be repetitive, for obvious reasons. All the plants have a distinct look so it's never unclear just what you're dealing with. The only thing that's not always clear is the thickness of the doors. Sometimes it's hard to tell which level of biomass (how many stars' worth of points) you need to open them, so in that respect each level becomes "Okay, three stars, did I do it? Nope? Okay, moving on."

The verdict: It's currently on sale for 2 bucks on Steam. It's a neat little adventure with good puzzles. Is it worth that price? I'm inclined to say yes.

I agree with your review, game is totally worth 2$, very nice and relaxing experience.

Adventis

Can't seem to buy anything wtf? Both the client and the web store are borked.

Keeps giving me this message:
"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

And I must have tried 50 times already. Anyone else having the same problem?

Halp. Can't buy anything. *panic* The deals are ending in about an hour!

Dex815

Why discount by 50% a 50 euros game released just 2-3 months ago... let's add more discount to the game that currently cost less than 1 euro....

Freaking Steam community...

Kinsei

Banned
Why discount by 50% a 50 euros game released just 2-3 months ago... let's add more discount to the game that currently cost less than 1 euro....

Freaking Steam community...

But that game has a dinosaur in it1!1!

Yeah, I'll be disappointed if that wins the vote.

madjoki

whats the difference between doom 3 and doom 3 bfg?

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_3:_BFG_Edition

The BFG Edition includes:

The 2004-era "Doom 3" with enhanced graphics, a checkpoint save system, 3D Capability for 3D Televisions and Achievements(Xbox 360)/Trophies(PS3)

The already-released add-on; "Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil"

The Lost Mission 8-level campaign, which was cut from the original game
Ultimate Doom
Doom II: Hell on Earth, including the "No Rest for the Living" Doom 2 Expansion recently released on Xbox Live.

Unlike the original game which featured the Flashlight as a 'weapon' itself, the BFG Edition instead was 'armor-mounted' meaning players can attack and illuminate dark areas simultaneously.

Also no modding support for BFG on PC iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom