• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at my steam games list and see how bad I am at choosing games. I've decided to turn over a new leaf and ask for opinions before buying another game that might be bad or I end up hating.

image.php

Is that Rubens Barichello? :/

Skip DP, it's a game best watched on youtube rather than suffering its gameplay.

Sounds cool. Which version should i get. The pixel pack or the crystal pack? Is the DLC exclusive or is it a quick unlock?

The Crystal Pack if you really want "everything". I dunno, maybe the new Hero and Ship are awesome.

And I actually described movement in the game horribly. What I meant to say was you can move characters wherever you want, but it's not freeform. You can't move anywhere in the rooms, you can only move to that room.

Which is fine because combat is automatic when enemies appear.

You'll really want to keep an eye on who you give items to. Giving a speed boosting item to a faster character will help out if you make them the Crystal-Bearer. And the temptation to have one of your heavy hitters, like Max, on your first go is going to be strong. But you want a well balanced first team, since the games RG will place in complimentary party members.

I was considering buying Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth as a gift for a friend.. and found out that the PC port is horrific and nigh unplayable on Windows 7 and beyond. Which was a major letdown (I loved the game on XBOX).

What else might be a worthy present? Amnesia? Outlaw? Any other decent Lovecraft games out there?

vocab

$21 for DW8 and Shadow Warrior? YES PLZ.

I truly feel dirty paying that much for two whole games...but I need my Dynasty Warriors on PC. It will be delicious.

Edit: I am hesitating on pulling the trigger and buying Deadly Premonition due to the staggering amount of people who experience a lot of bugs with the game...but I really wanna play it. To those who have it and have played it on PC, is the experience worth it despite the boat load of bugs it suffers from?

P.S. I'm not a graphics whore, so the look of the game is something I honestly couldn't care less about . I'm a lot more interested in the ride and how well it controls with keyboard + mouse.

Deadly premonition didn't even work for me. Tried the fix, nothing. Its awful. I got a refund. Seriously hate the company behind the PC and ps3 port. Complete scamming scumfucks.

aku:jiki

And I actually described movement in the game horribly. What I meant to say was you can move characters wherever you want, but it's not freeform. You can't move anywhere in the rooms, you can only move to that room.
And not to nitpick but you said you can only move one room at a time which sounds a bit misleading. You can only open one door per turn, but you can move freely between all explored rooms (including when you haul the crystal to the exit).

Sounds cool. Which version should i get. The pixel pack or the crystal pack? Is the DLC exclusive or is it a quick unlock?
I bought the crystal pack and the included character is both exclusive and excellent. His feature is having the highest "wit" stat in the game, which means he generates more resources per turn while he's working generators. Up to you if you want to nearly double the cost for a sweet character, though.

It's also supposed to include a ship but I can't figure out if that has been added for every player or not. It looks like it has. Either way, I don't think it's as good as the character.

Deadly premonition didn't even work for me. Tried the fix, nothing. Its awful. I got a refund. Seriously hate the company behind the PC and ps3 port.

Same for me...
Except for the refund part, I got the game as part of a bundle, so I'm not too miffed about losing $2.

Spacejaws

I was considering buying Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth as a gift for a friend.. and found out that the PC port is horrific and nigh unplayable on Windows 7 and beyond. Which was a major letdown (I loved the game on XBOX).

What else might be a worthy present? Amnesia? Outlaw? Any other decent Lovecraft games out there?

I played it fine on Windows 7. There was a community patch I installed to stop the game crashing every 30 mins but once I did that it was gravy.

Eh I don't know if its a spoiler but
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
is considered Lovecraftian inspired.

zer0das

Banned
Need some final opinions on the importance of a Walking Dead Season One save for playing Season Two. I originally played on the 360, but I want to purchase this season on PC, and just go in without a previous save. I remember my choices, but don't really want to replay Season One again on Steam just to be able to play the newer episodes.

Does it really have that much of an impact outside of a couple references or something?

Barely affects anything. Might change some minor dialogue when Clem recalls what Lee said, and one other instance than that. If you didn't play the DLC there won't be any major differences and even then it is minimal.

1337Sauce

Barely affects anything. Might change some minor dialogue when Clem recalls what Lee said, and one other instance than that. If you didn't play the DLC there won't be any major differences and even then it is minimal.

Yeah I didn't play the DLC on 360 at all. I heard it was short, so I never purchased it when it came out. Is it still worth watching a playthrough? Or should I just dive straight in?

And not to nitpick but you said you can only move one room at a time which sounds a bit misleading. You can only open one door per turn, but you can move freely between all explored rooms (including when you haul the crystal to the exit).

I bought the crystal pack and the included character is both exclusive and excellent. His feature is having the highest "wit" stat in the game, which means he generates more resources per turn while he's working generators. Up to you if you want to nearly double the cost for a sweet character, though.

It's also supposed to include a ship but I can't figure out if that has been added for every player or not. It looks like it has. Either way, I don't think it's as good as the character.

Amplitude knows what it is doing with its collector editions.

Endless Legend's Emperor Pack gives you a new Ship and Hero for Dungeons as well.

zer0das

Banned
Yeah I didn't play the DLC on 360 at all. I heard it was short, so I never purchased it when it came out. Is it still worth watching a playthrough? Or should I just dive straight in?

It is crazy short. I wouldn't bother watching a play through, it provides a tiny bit of characterization to one character that has any importance at all. I don't regret playing it, but you're missing almost nothing.

XShagrath

With Tabletop Simulator are there constraints that make it so you don't overreact with the Physics? Like the early trailers were all "LOL TABLE FLIP" joke game stuff but if it can actually be playable and not obnoxious, I'd probably dig it. Just don't want to accidently send a dozen pieces flying around and screw up a game because I moved my mouse too fast.
There are definitely movement constraints.

For anyone picking up the game to play seriously, I would recommend doing the in-game tutorial, and also watching the youtube tutorials as well. Here's the first one on movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNw52Xh4Rwo

I haven't gotten around to playing anything yet, but I downloaded a shit-ton of mods and opened a few of them up to mess around with moving pieces and whatnot.

Sickbean

Good sale for me so far.

The only two games left on my wish list are Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Lords of the Fallen.

Any chance these two go lower than 50% off or should I just grab them now and be done with it?

Nabs

Good sale for me so far.

The only two games left on my wish list are Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Lords of the Fallen.

Any chance these two go lower than 50% off or should I just grab them now and be done with it?

Follow your heart.

madjoki

Good sale for me so far.

99% change for Wolfenstein, less for Lords of the Fallen.

Kvik

I'm on RPG binge this Holiday season. I'm about 15 hours in FFXIII-2 (These framerates are atrocious), 45 hours into Wasteland 2 (Brown, brown and more brown), currently downloading FFX HD (Finally found my Piggyback guide) and just bought Trails in the Sky a minute ago.

I rather enjoyed FFXIII-2 story though, moreso than FFXIII. Even though the framerate in that game is a heinous crime. (75% gpu usage, ~29.8fps in GTX 980? come on :-\)

Good sale for me so far.

You missed cheap Wolfenstein on GreenManGaming couple of days ago? With coupon, it was just $16.

tm24

The Crystal Pack if you really want "everything". I dunno, maybe the new Hero and Ship are awesome.

Which is fine because combat is automatic when enemies appear.

You'll really want to keep an eye on who you give items to. Giving a speed boosting item to a faster character will help out if you make them the Crystal-Bearer. And the temptation to have one of your heavy hitters, like Max, on your first go is going to be strong. But you want a well balanced first team, since the games RG will place in complimentary party members.

Alright, ima pick up the crystal pack! Thanks guys for the info

Braag

What are the chances of some games going and a daily or flash sale again? I remember they used to do that sometimes.
I regret not getting Ground Zeroes when it was on a daily.

Forkball

Shadow of Mordor is $30 on the Humble Store. It dropped to $20 during Black Friday on Amazon, but I wonder if that is just a one time thing. Wolfenstein is also $20 on Gamersgate and was $20 on Amazon a few days ago, but could it drop lower on Steam?

I CAN'T HANDLE THESE MINDGAMES.

Nabs

What are the chances of some games going and a daily or flash sale again? I remember they used to do that sometimes.

We'll probably get some form of a repeat day.

Shadow of Mordor is $30 on the Humble Store. It dropped to $20 during Black Friday on Amazon, but I wonder if that is just a one time thing. Wolfenstein is also $20 on Gamersgate and was $20 on Amazon a few days ago, but could it drop lower on Steam?

I CAN'T HANDLE THESE MINDGAMES.
Keep your eye out on GMG. They generally have similar prices, but with an extra coupon to add on.

At this point just wait until Jan 1st, which is the last day of the sale. They tend to do an "encore" of games which were previously featured deals. However, if they either don't do that (they didn't for the Halloween sale), or you don't see it in the encore sales, then that means you should just buy it at its current price if you want it.

Nordicus

Someone sell me on One Way Heroics.
So One Way heroics is this turn-based roguelite where your goal is to defeat the Demon Lord while running away from a dark fog that is consuming the planet, coming from the west at a slightly slower pace than your walking speed.

There is something a little Half-Minute Hero'ish about the game, where you have to get crafty with your time limits and constraints and grind using a very fast and simple fighting system until you get powerful enough to beat the boss. Every once in a while, the boss comes to harass you on the map for several turns, and you can choose to run away or fight them, whether it is to beat them or weaken them for next encounter.

In the beginning you pick a class and give them 3-5 perks to make your preferred starting build. Maybe you want someone who can unlock extravagant chest easily, someone who can bash down walls of a dungeon if the mist is about to reach you, someone who can carry a lot of gear, someone who gets really powerful the more party members you gather throughout a run, etc.

The enemies get tougher, loot gets better, and villages with vendors get more rare as you walk further and further during a playthrough.

There are multiple endings, based on how you beat the game, which party members' story you explored fully, and based on difficulty.
But whether you win or lose, you get ranked and get hero points, which can be used to unlock new classes, new starting perks, or hand down your old items though a transdimensional vault. This is where the "lite" aspect comes in, as you can give another character a powerful piece of equipment from the start, however, weapons have durability and aren't easily fixed so that will not last long. You can choose to not use this advantage, and you'll get more hero points and there are achievements for vaultless runs

It'll get you hooked, One Way Heroics is the first game I've 100%'d since vanilla Skyrim.

Braag

At this point just wait until Jan 1st, which is the last day of the sale. They tend to do an "encore" of games which were previously featured deals. However, if they either don't do that (they didn't for the Halloween sale), or you don't see it in the encore sales, then that means you should just buy it at its current price if you want it.

Yeah, I remember the last day being the day they repeat some of the sales.
I guess I'll be waiting then.

Lain

If the Sacred 3 DLC was 75% off I would have grabbed the two I'm missing. Too bad it's only 50% off. I liked the game but not enough to pay the price asked at 50% off.

Ladekabel

Bought Trails in the Sky.

Depending on the price the next game I'll be buying will be either Residen Evil 4, Dragonfall or Final Fantasy XII though I hope for the former two.

Jintor

It's probably been overcome by stuff like Unity but I remember the first time I opened up Hitman: Absolution I was blown away (ign.com) by the crowd tech. Fucking Chinatown, man.

Of course the game seriously is not Blood Money 2 and therefore kind of sucks, but hey, it's alright.

Haxxor

Sportfrienda, yay or nay? (for local mp ofc)

Have heard different things and i do not own Playstation move controllers.

Forkball

Hitman Absolution has some good missions similar to Blood Money. I find myself replaying a few levels just to mess around. A lot of the stealth wannabe levels are a bit dull, but not offensively bad. It is certainly worth $4.

Any opinions on how to allocate my remaining budget?

I fHave $40 in my steam wallet. Wanting to snag SF x tekken. Sadly its rarely on sale. And rarely deep sale.

Should I abandon hope on it and snag the following I have yet to play?

Walking dead s02
Wolf among us
Saints row 4 complete version

NEO0MJ

So, is trials a flash sale or not? On its page it says daily and that we have a lot of time but the main store page features it among the flash sales.

Any opinions on how to allocate my remaining budget?

I fHave $40 in my steam wallet. Wanting to snag SF x tekken. Sadly its rarely on sale. And rarely deep sale.

Should I abandon hope on it and snag the following I have yet to play?

I think I got the complete edition for $15/20 last sale so don't give up hope.

Shaneus

So, is trials a flash sale or not? On its page it says daily and that we have a lot of time but the main store page features it among the flash sales.
The only game I see that you might be confusing Trials with is Trails in the Sky. Not getting it mixed up, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom