• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If I missed a vote, do I miss the badge? D'oh

There's no badge for voting. You only miss a "card" chance to build the badge. The card you get is random. So I wouldn't worry about it. Buy the one(s) you're missing and then craft the badge.

d1rtn4p

Hummm...

Alright, now the mental battle I'm going through: Age of Wonders 3 at $13, or Endless Legend at $17? And only choosing one...

Rising Storm contains all of Red Orchestra 2 except the 'campaign' which was essentially a few bot matches. Just get Rising Storm. It rules.

It's only the multiplayer. RO2 is the singleplayer which isn't included with Rising Storm + RO2 (base/multiplayer) bundle.

Really you aren't missing anything huge with the loss of singleplayer. I'd worry about the small community (which went from ~1,000 to 400 after their previous sale earlier this year when they gave RO2/singleplayer + multiplayer out for FREE for 24 hours) not dying off in a year. That plus the gun grind. I kinda jumped off the ship because grinding the weapons up to 50 for low recoil and scopes and stuff was just too much. As bad as Killing Floor. :/

thanks m8s
i'm yuropoor so maybe the community is healthier there ? for 4€ i'll probably get a good amount of playtime thanks to the sales regardless of the state of the community

Amneisac

Endless Legend.

Easily.

Problem is, as many people have been saying AOW3 as EL. As I understand it:

AoW3: Better combat, worse city managing
EL: Better City managing, combat is nonexistant

And I've heard the multiplayer is better in AoW3. I want it mostly for co-op which I understand is absent from EL, as far as you have to have one person win, you can kind of 'fake it' with an alliance, but that's it.

Nzyme32

Great sale so far. Based Gabe comes through again.

I'm trying to find a good racing sim with full controller support. Any ideas?

I'm not buying much this year, but it seems excellent to me. Plenty of games all great and all way cheaper. Of course it isn't as good for those folks who already own everything, but there are so many people I know having a blast with this.

Well, been on Steam since 2009 and after Summer 2010 when the big sales started, this is officially the worst sale yet.

You know Steam has hit rock bottom when there are thousands of games on the store and after 5 days the daily deals consist of 75% off an already cheap-ass game like Garry's Mod, 80% off Just Cause 2 (which is a great game but has been on sale for about 80 times the last 3 years), 25% off Game of Thrones (as if it's a GOTY or something - even Ground Zeroes had a much bigger discount), a couple of shitty indie games with discounts of 50-75%, and an overpriced racer which just released (after being in beta for so long) and is only 50% off.

Bought the Darksiders Franchise Pack. Whats the deal with Assetto Corsa? What type of racer is it and is it worth that price for someone that likes Forza?

It's only the multiplayer. RO2 is the singleplayer which isn't included with Rising Storm + RO2 (base/multiplayer) bundle.

Really you aren't missing anything huge with the loss of singleplayer. I'd worry about the small community (which went from ~1,000 to 400 after their previous sale earlier this year when they gave RO2/singleplayer + multiplayer out for FREE for 24 hours) not dying off in a year. That plus the gun grind. I kinda jumped off the ship because grinding the weapons up to 50 for low recoil and scopes and stuff was just too much. As bad as Killing Floor. :/

Play classic mode?

Hummm...

Alright, now the mental battle I'm going through: Age of Wonders 3 at $13, or Endless Legend at $17? And only choosing one...

Age of Wonders 3. It's got dire penguins.

And I've heard the multiplayer is better in AoW3. I want it mostly for co-op which I understand is absent from EL, as far as you have to have one person win, you can kind of 'fake it' with an alliance, but that's it.

This is a nice, concise summary of the two. Not that I've played multiplayer in either.

AlexBasch

Guys, question.

I've got Bioshock 1 and want 2, since I already beat Infinite on the PS3 a couple of months ago.

However, a friend wants 1 and Infinite. If I buy the franchise pack, do I get separate games to gift or do I have to redeem them all on my account?

Saying that combat is nonexistent in EL kinda makes me want it more.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Play classic mode?

I played classic or whatever the "non-Action/RO classic" mode was. The one that was the middle-ground between "RO1 classic" and "CALL OF DOOTY."

Again: The population kinda declined. One of the reasons was there was hackers (IIRC) that... forgetting the developers name and Punkbuster didn't ban (in addition to VAC?) so a few people left. A lot of the servers were mostly empty even in the evening or on weekends. So I'd join up on ones that had bots and a few people playing.

Then get owned by the people that have put in like 100 hours into the game while trying to use the wonky cover system.

Doing "Countdown" with bots is the fastest way to level up your guns, apparently. But with... like... 40(?) guns to level up to level 50 each, it's just too much.

Don't get me wrong. I REALLY enjoyed RO2 and liked the ideas, but the execution and population wasn't there.

Onaco

The lack of Shovel Knight discounts is frustrating... Guess I'll wait for the PS4 version to inevitably release free for PS+ in a few months.

Isn't the PC version of Bully completely borked? Or am I thinking of something else...

It's good, I played it a couple of weeks ago. The game is nice, the controls are weird, but you can always change them I suppose - it didn't work with my gamepad.

There's also a cap remover going around, which works, but I found out would skip the cut-scenes for some reason (maybe because the game ran at 120fps on my rig), so I played without it at 30fps.

I played classic or whatever the "non-Action/RO classic" mode was. The one that was the middle-ground between "RO1 classic" and "CALL OF DOOTY."

Again: The population kinda declined. One of the reasons was there was hackers (IIRC) that... forgetting the developers name and Punkbuster didn't ban (in addition to VAC?) so a few people left. A lot of the servers were mostly empty even in the evening or on weekends. So I'd join up on ones that had bots and a few people playing.

Then get owned by the people that have put in like 100 hours into the game while trying to use the wonky cover system.

Doing "Countdown" with bots is the fastest way to level up your guns, apparently. But with... like... 40(?) guns to level up to level 50 each, it's just too much.

Classic mode doesn't have unlocks. Everyone is on a level playing field. Unless I have the names backwards. The last time I played I only played the mode without unlocks and it was awesome. The community is small but there was always a full server or 2.

BasilZero

Damn.

So out of the three $7.50 deals that will occur I have the choice of getting....

Crysis Maximum Edition
Payday 2
Quake Collection

I might just bite into Payday 2 since my friends are all playing it ;o.

Saying that combat is nonexistent in EL kinda makes me want it more.

EL has turn-based combat like AoW3, but it's simplified to the point that you'll want to autoresolve it and avoid the hassle. It often feels like a time-consuming waste of time... the only problem is that you're vastly more capable than an AI acting on your behalf.

Son of a bitch...I was just about to pull the trigger on EL and you had to mention dire penguins...

:D!

Kinsei

Banned
so um

DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition

GAF.. should I buy this?

Does a game where you can easily kill over 1000 enemies in a single level interest you? If so jump in. The game itself has a ton of content and if you find normal mode too easy to be fun the higher difficulties will give you the challenge you're looking for.

MrPanic

Aw yeah, Spelunky get!

So, what's up with that game people voted on, Orion? Is that game decent or what? I know it's super cheap but I refuse to spend even a single cent on a game that's crap. So is it worth the 50cent?

Hey guys, I have a problem.

I try to log into the Steam client but I get "Could not connect to the Steam Network."

I'm able to log into the web version fine. Any ideas?

OFFIS

Asseto Corsa looks cool, but is it playable fine without a steering wheel?
It's ok with a pad(not as good as forza imo.), but with a wheel it is
eMJTG.gif

There are tons of car and track mods for it too which make it even better.

Polk

Is Dead Island worth $5? That is the question..
First act is great.
I liked fifth one as well.
4th was meh.
2nd and 3rd were terrible in my opinion.

Cheating (upgrading durability of weapons, ammo count etc) makes game way more playable. Playing without them is tedious (unless with coop).

Hey guys, I have a problem.

I try to log into the Steam client but I get "Could not connect to the Steam Network."

I'm able to log into the web version fine. Any ideas?

Wait a bit and try again? Their servers are probably still getting hammered by the sale changeovers that occurred recently.

Whenever I've had it happen to me waiting a couple minutes and trying again resolved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom