• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
EL has turn-based combat like AoW3, but it's simplified to the point that you'll want to autoresolve it and avoid the hassle. It often feels like a time-consuming waste of time... the only problem is that you're vastly more capable than an AI acting on your behalf.

That's disappointing. Combat in general has always been my least favorite part of 4x games and that's why games like Fallen Enchantress, Warlock 2 and AoW3 sorta bounce off me despite liking some aspects of them.

I guess that's why I keep on coming back to Civ.

Volcynika

It's ok with a pad(not as good as forza imo.), but with a wheel it is
eMJTG.gif

There are tons of car and track mods for it too which make it even better.

Well as long as it is fun, it is fine for me. I'm not sure if/when I'll get a wheel and setting it up may be a pain.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There's no chance Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is going to go below $10 is there? Ubisoft, plz. I want to buy it but not for $11. :(

Wait a bit and try again? Their servers are probably still getting hammered by the sale changeovers that occurred recently.

Whenever I've had it happen to me waiting a couple minutes and trying again resolved it.

Thanks, it worked after I read your post lol. I was trying for about 30 minutes before that.

_woLf

People really wanted to vote for an extra quarter off a game instead of an actual discount on other games?

The community choice results thus far have been incredibly disappointing. :/

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (zer0blivion, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galactic Civilizations Complete Pack#(Not including 3) -- MB-32772139EC861713 - Taken by Unicorn. 3 entrants total.
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-7513588BDEF4924B - Taken by Volotaire. 4 entrants total.

t1419370922z1.png
Good luck.

That's disappointing. Combat in general has always been my least favorite part of 4x games and that's why games like Fallen Enchantress, Warlock 2 and AoW3 sorta bounce off me despite liking some aspects of them.

I guess that's why I keep on coming back to Civ.

EL's combat is basically CIV5 hex combat put into a randomly-designed tactical grid using the world map layout. Some units have abilities, but it's mostly piles of HP/def fighting against a mountain of dmg/ATK (not helped by the huge amount of hits most units take to die, generally 3-6 for tech-equivalent enemies.) It's a very cool idea, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Endless Space had really bad combat that was a cool idea, too. It's an AMPLITUDE trademark at this point.

At least say why.
It's a barebones multiplayer shooter that has rebranded its name from Orion: Dino Horde to Orion: Dino Beatdown to Orion: Prelude to avoid negative reviews and impressions. TotalBiscuit did a video on one of its incarnations a while ago, and I doubt much has changed since then.

Don't you dare buy it.

Guys, question.

I've got Bioshock 1 and want 2, since I already beat Infinite on the PS3 a couple of months ago.

However, a friend wants 1 and Infinite. If I buy the franchise pack, do I get separate games to gift or do I have to redeem them all on my account?

Almost always the answer is no unless it is some Valve games. It will tell you for sure before you finalize your purchase.

Vizzeh

Banned
At the price, I "could" be tempted into Bioshock infinite, its one of few AAA games I bothered to platinum on ps3.. now if someone was to tell me Highend-Rig experience > PS3 Bioshock to a similar degree
(with any DSR, sweetfx, all the works)
as TloU vs TloU:R I might just commit :p

Of course I can't get much more story from it, but it was a fantastic game. (RIP :( )

Camisado

Is the AI good enough in Payday 2 that 2 can coop through the entire game just fine, or is it really tailored to 4 meatbags?

I've tried playing it with one other friend for a while. You end up with two A.I that have no skills to use, don't drop ammo or health, can't carry anything and are essentially dead weight.

You will be able to do a fair amount of the normal difficulty stuff with just two people, but you will struggle to do much more than that.

In my experience anyway.

abracadaver

First act is great.
I liked fifth one as well.
4th was meh.
2nd and 3rd were terrible in my opinion.

Cheating (upgrading durability of weapons, ammo count etc) makes game way more playable. Playing without them is tedious (unless with coop).

Don't listen to this guy. Cheating makes the game boring. Also there are only 4 acts.

KarmaCow

Is the AI good enough in Payday 2 that 2 can coop through the entire game just fine, or is it really tailored to 4 meatbags?

The AI is worthless outside of shooting cops and reviving you. They will literally just stand in place during stealth heists. You can do everything non-achievement related with a buddy (most even solo) but the game is meant for 4 people.

Chariot

ok so Payday has 13 pieces of DLC to buy. What are the "must haves"?
Play the game. Only the host needs to have mission DLCs for the whole party to play it. You will see what missions are to your liking. Similiar to the weapons. Just look what kind of weapon do you like and decided like that.

BasilZero

From what I hear, Hotline Miami DLC is pretty good.

I might jump into this when I purchase Payday 2 today ;o.

Edit: Oh didnt know the host only need to have the DLC :O

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Saints Row IV worth picking up? Is the game of the century worth getting?

Depends on whether you have a friends to co-op of with or not. I can see the game (all of the Saints Row really) getting boring pretty soon if you play alone. In co-op they're a blast though.

BasilZero

Not necessarily related to Steam holiday sale - anyone think Humble Bundle will have somethin special on Christmas day since it falls on a Thursday and they havent had a bundle since the SEGA bundle over 2 weeks ago ;o

TheSeks

EVERBODYONE.gif

See the two above the first blue? You want those as well
when they're deep discounted like the rest
. Don't bother with the music shit. Christmas stuff gives you three masks you don't need outside of an achievement. Not worth it.

BasilZero

Saints Row IV worth picking up? Is the game of the century worth getting?

Not sure about IV but from the looks of it - it is kinda like The Third which was amazing.

Co-Op makes it even a better experience.

I'm so tempted to get the Century edition but I'mma wait for Summer sale next year to get it instead.

Not necessarily related to Steam holiday sale - anyone think Humble Bundle will have somethin special on Christmas day since it falls on a Thursday and they havent had a bundle since the SEGA bundle over 2 weeks ago ;o

Looks like they just finished their Winter Sale (it says "encore"), so I dunno.

Hopefully :(

No big bundle until 2015. I think someone mentioned it in either this thread or the Steam community thread.

MrPanic

So is Orion crap or what? Does anyone know?

Also, someone sell me on Garry's mod. I'm kinda unclear on what that game is supposed to be. The steam page makes it out to be an editor, in which I have no interest. The comments however make it out to be something else. Is it a fun game or what?

Raxus

All are pretty good but Hoxton Breakout, Hotline Miami should be your first buys. They both award a TON of experience and are pretty fun missions overall. Depending how fond you are of the game you can buy the rest at your discretion. The game goes on sale almost every season.

Uthred

so um

DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition

GAF.. should I buy this?

Its the most polished iteration of the DW franchise so far, certainly the best (only currently?) one on the PC. It has a ridiculous amount of content. It is a Warriors game though and the gameplay turns some people off.

Camisado

Also, someone sell me on Garry's mod. I'm kinda unclear on what that game is supposed to be. The steam page makes it out to be an editor, in which I have no interest. The comments however make it out to be something else. Is it a fun game or what?

It is basically an editor. But the fun comes from all the crazy things you can do with, creating cars out of props, guns that shoot bikes etc.

It also has a pretty active online community and mods. Jumping on any server is always an experience to say the least lol.

TheSeks

Thanks for saving me $7.50 on Payday 2. Now I'd love to put that towards some CRPGs....come on, Gabe. Do it. Do it.

You don't need to buy the DLC unless you plan to play the heists offline/host online. The weapons aren't needed either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is GFWL, online must be pretty much dead and is never going to get patched.

So I think is, sadly, for the best.

It's not. Capcom outlined its GFWL -> Steamworks plans earlier in the year: RE5, Dead Rising 2 and DR2: Off the Record are in, everything else is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom