• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroCDR

Yeah, just FYI on the DLC maps for Payday 2, you don't need to buy it to play it. You can still join games with DLC maps. Buy the DLC if you want to host games yourself (and support the dev!)

Also $7.50 seems.. high? I know I didn't pay that much for my copy during one of the last sales, welp, getting one for a gift anyway.

You don't need to buy the DLC unless you plan to play the heists offline/host online. The weapons aren't needed either.

Oh, my post was in reply to my question on the AI with 2 people. Quoting 2 people in a mobile browser would require me to purchase a Surfing for Dummies book off amazon first.

Unicorn

Fuck I've been waiting for Road Redemption to go on more of a sale, but I really don't think it will be.

It's $13 and still in early access, but I keep watching like 30 minute let's plays that are just dreadful. I want a new Road Rash game. This looks super rough, but I keep hoping it'll attain that prestige I have for classic Road Rash.

I guess I'll wait until the end of the sale in case it does go on sale, but seeing it at the top of my wishlist tests my composure every single time.
LLShC.gif

KarmaCow

I can't find my post from the last sale outlining what's in and worth it in the Payday 2 DLC but basically, at that price, they're all pretty much worth it (except the two that just came out and only have a 10% discount). All the non-music packs have at least one worthwhile weapon, except for maybe Gage Pack 2 if you don't care about LMGs and Big Bank since the weapon doesn't differ too much from another gun.

Just joining the community group gives some pretty good weapons as well.

It's not. Capcom outlined its GFWL -> Steamworks plans earlier in the year: RE5, Dead Rising 2 and DR2: Off the Record are in, everything else is out.

I mean the fact it dosn't go in sale is for the best, maybe not for collectors, but I certainly wouldn't want an useless piece of sofware in my library.

maguskain

Had held off buying anything for the last few days, but too tempting today. Scribblenauts Unlimited, Garry's Mod and Trails in the Sky. Was so close to clicking the button for DW8...but didn't do it. Backlog is too big already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't find my post from the last sale outlining what's in and worth it in the Payday 2 DLC but basically, at that price, they're all pretty much worth it (except the two that just came out and only have a 10% discount). All the non-music packs have at least one worthwhile weapon, except for maybe Gage Pack 2 if you don't care about LMGs and Big Bank since the weapon doesn't differ too much from another gun.

Really the rule of thumb for the Payday 2 DLC is: Wait until a sale after they release to where it's 75% off for them. Then BUY BUY BUY.

.hacked

Game of thrones get!

Again doubled dipped since I already own iPad version, now just need Tales from Borderlands.

Just started messing with steam streaming, works great can stream all these games to my MacBook while at home. Sweet.

ZeroCDR

It's not. Capcom outlined its GFWL -> Steamworks plans earlier in the year: RE5, Dead Rising 2 and DR2: Off the Record are in, everything else is out.

I'm really excited about RE5, hopeful for surprise DLC content from the console version. I'm looking at sales for the DR games too this year.

I've got 37 games on my wishlist and so far the sales this whole year have seemed lackluster. Most of these games will not hit the dailies and the few that do will be the more expensive titles so the end result will still be too expensive. It appears there is a concerted effort among many devs to keep game prices higher longer than they have on Steam in the past. (Not that I am saying this is a bad thing for them, but as the consumer I am complaining from the opposite side of the table). This is also why you still see games like Just Cause 2 featured on the dailies for cheap. They need to have that super-cheap retail game on the page so people go wow and since everybody already owns JC2 it's really no loss if they continue to offer it for those prices.

I'll give you some examples of wishlist games that would have been on sale for cheaper in years gone by:

Double Dragon Neon/Escape Goat 2 - Both still $5 on sale. Came out in Feb/March. In years past these would have been $2.50 during the sale. Especially DD Neon since it was a late port anyway.

Shovel Knight/Mutant Mudds/ Ikaruga - Not even currently on sale. They might be on a daily but even if they do it will still be $7.50-$5.00. This would not have happened in years gone by.

My point is not necessarily that these games should be cheaper, but that there has definitely been a change in the last year in how aggressively the prices are reduced, and this leads to some of the more frugal gamers being disappointed in the sale. Unfortunately for the devs, I've been conditioned to wait for 75% off, and with my enormous backlog I feel no pressure to capitulate for the higher prices, so my wishlist will just keep growing.

Unrelated Special Mention:

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: This 2012 game is still selling for $60 on Steam and is only discounted 25% for the sale. If it hits the dailies it will probably be $30 or $15 at the cheapest. I don't know what sort of sick experiment they are conducting with this game but it has been on my wishlist forever and it doesn't look like I will ever buy it. Yeah, it's Activision, I know, but they reduced the first game to $20 pre-discount so it's not like they can't do it. What pisses me off is that they sell this game for far cheaper on Xbox and Playstation during their sales than they ever have on Steam.

Fuck I've been waiting for Road Redemption to go on more of a sale, but I really don't think it will be.

It's $13 and still in early access, but I keep watching like 30 minute let's plays that are just dreadful. I want a new Road Rash game. This looks super rough, but I keep hoping it'll attain that prestige I have for classic Road Rash.

I guess I'll wait until the end of the sale in case it does go on sale, but seeing it at the top of my wishlist tests my composure every single time.
LLShC.gif

I read that as Red Dead Redemption and got absurdly excited for a moment before crashing back down to the reality.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What are the current 12 hour deals? There is one that shows up as "currently unavailable in your region". The ones that show up for me are RPG maker, Spelunky, Darksiders II, Soul Suspect and Rising Storm.

Curiosity is killing me :(.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
As a new owner of a GTX 970, is Ryse and Dead Rising 3 worth checking out? I'll never buy an Xbox One likely, and I really enjoyed DR1/2. Ryse I just want for the visual feast I guess.

Uthred

Disappointing seeing stuff like Just Caus 2 and Garrys Mod as part of the dailies, they're nearly always on sale and have hit this price multiple times (and possibly have been in bundles as well?). The lesser amount of sales makes it feel like theres very little chance for any semi-obscure stuff to pop up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: This 2012 game is still selling for $60 on Steam and is only discounted 25% for the sale. If it hits the dailies it will probably be $30 or $15 at the cheapest. I don't know what sort of sick experiment they are conducting with this game but it has been on my wishlist forever and it doesn't look like I will ever buy it. Yeah, it's Activision, I know, but they reduced the first game to $20 pre-discount so it's not like they can't do it. What pisses me off is that they sell this game for far cheaper on Xbox and Playstation during their sales than they ever have on Steam.
It has been plenty of times.

LP2 in particular is one of the very best co-op action games of its time.

Indeed!
-Great scenarios
-Lots of customization
-Huge assortment of weapons
-Multiple methods for playing through each stage
-Looks amazing

It's a game I could play through over and over with randoms and never get bored. It's like Capcom used their expertise at co-op beatemups to create a co-op 3rd-person shooter.

But it's dead, and Capcom doesn't want to make any attempt at reviving it.
Bastards.

Deadly

Agreed 100%.

LP2 in particular is one of the very best co-op action games of its time.
You know I was wondering about this game. I remember the trailers made it seem so much fun in coop. It seems to have been a dud though, what happened to it?

RedFyn

Oh, my post was in reply to my question on the AI with 2 people. Quoting 2 people in a mobile browser would require me to purchase a Surfing for Dummies book off amazon first.
The plus button next to the quote button is for multi quoting. Press it on each post you want to quote and then hit new reply or the quote button on the last person.

As a new owner of a GTX 970, is Ryse and Dead Rising 3 worth checking out? I'll never buy an Xbox One likely, and I really enjoyed DR1/2. Ryse I just want for the visual feast I guess.

DR3 is probably the best in the series. The PC port had a rocky start, but to my knowledge it's perfectly playable now. It's basically more of the same, only it looks better. I too just got a GTX 970 and would want to own this game, but I can't justify it for the price. It just doesn't seem to wanna drop below $25.

As for Ryse, I couldn't tell you.

EDIT:

Screw it. Picked it up from GMG. !@$&# sales...

How do you tell if a game bought from the Uplay store gives a Steam key or not? Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon because I don't know is $40 on Steam, but only $13 on the Uplay store.

dhlt25

How do you tell if a game bought from the Uplay store gives a Steam key or not? Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon because I don't know is $40 on Steam, but only $13 on the Uplay store.

none of the Uplay games give steam keys unless they are steamworks. i don't think Ubisoft sell steamworks games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom