• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ys games have been $5 almost every sale since they started showing up on Steam

Bought them all

and haven't played them

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Fix this shit now.

Oh man, Shadow Warrior is so good.

The only thing I dislike are the enemy waves "Serious Sam like", but the rest is awesome.

Long live Devolver Digital!

So in case there was anybody on the fence about Endless Legend in the last hour, I've been playing it.

It's an absolutely beautiful game. Graphics, UI, music, oh man the music. Pretty much love everything about it except the combat. The combat has been pretty lame and I'll probably end up auto-resolving most of the time. (Not that it's necessarily any worse than Civ combat which is similar to the auto-resolve option).

But I've never been huge on combat in 4X games anyway - always been more into city managing/exploration, which is great here. Lots of interesting ruins/anomalies/resources to take advantage of.

The factions themselves ooze with personality and from what I understand can have quite different playstyles. Been playing as the Vaulters this first game. And of course you can create your own faction like in Gal Civ or several other 4Xs (takes on the appearance of a base faction, but you set the attributes).

There's also minor factions to deal with which are like a combination of city-states and barbarians.

Quest system is pretty cool, each faction follows a different main questline that pushes you to complete certain objectives, and adds a bit of story that you don't really get in Civ, (at least Civ V and earlier entries - Beyond Earth apparently has something but it's not as deep?)

I think that covers most of it (might have forgotten one or two things), so yeah - fun game, if you're even remotely interested in it/4Xes and don't mind a mediocre combat system, I'd definitely recommend.

Vizzeh

Banned
Bioshock tripple pack @83% off is ridiculous value considering its price. £6.79. Not sure when I will get around to playing but couldn't refuse that.

The community voting games have been beyond bad this year. Were they this bad last year?

They've always been bad. Every year. Yet one sale they don't have them and people flip their lids.

Community voting is so laughably bad. The choices the community makes are cause to question the collective sanity of the group.

A person is smart, people are stupid. And the community is people alright.

I feel like people are disappointed about the choice almost every day of every sale.

Dude, a game could be 90% off, someone would complain about it not being 95% off.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So in case there was anybody on the fence about Endless Legend in the last hour, I've been playing it.

It's an absolutely beautiful game. Graphics, UI, music, oh man the music. Pretty much love everything about it except the combat. The combat has been pretty lame and I'll probably end up auto-resolving most of the time. (Not that it's necessarily any worse than Civ combat which is similar to the auto-resolve option).

But I've never been huge on combat in 4X games anyway - always been more into city managing/exploration, which is great here. Lots of interesting ruins/anomalies/resources to take advantage of.

The factions themselves ooze with personality and from what I understand can have quite different playstyles. Been playing as the Vaulters this first game. And of course you can create your own faction like in Gal Civ or several other 4Xs (takes on the appearance of a base faction, but you set the attributes).

There's also minor factions to deal with which are like a combination of city-states and barbarians.

Quest system is pretty cool, each faction follows a different main questline that pushes you to complete certain objectives, and adds a bit of story that you don't really get in Civ, (at least Civ V and earlier entries - Beyond Earth apparently has something but it's not as deep?)

I think that covers most of it (might have forgotten one or two things), so yeah - fun game, if you're even remotely interested in it/4Xes and don't mind a mediocre combat system, I'd definitely recommend.

Amplitude studios is one of the most underrated developers working right now. Endless Space, Dungeon of the Endless and Endless Legend are all excellent, slick experiences that have a lot of great qualities. If you like the music for Legend their music for their other two titles are also great and done by the same music group.

dork

Banned
I feel like people are disappointed about the choice almost every day of every sale.

No, I dont mean the outcome of the sale. I mean even the 3 items I am voting on? They had software the other day and just overall games i have never heard of
They've always been bad. Every year. Yet one sale they don't have them and people flip their lids.

Community voting is so laughably bad. The choices the community makes are cause to question the collective sanity of the group.

A person is smart, people are stupid. And the community is people alright.

Dude, a game could be 90% off, someone would complain about it not being 95% off.

See my reply above. Not complaining about the outcome. I meant the 3 options you get, just seem poor this year.

Aaaaand, just as I thought, Bully won the voting.

UGH. I don't know, I fired up vanilla San Andreas recently and that didn't age well at all. This one doesn't look all that promising either and, worst of all, seems that due to my region they don't even offer the english version, despite the game being priced in USD.

tl;dr

I hate you, Steam community voting.

xezuru

Last year, you had 3 votes between 3 games daily. So atleast you had a crazy amount of different choices. Most of us thought, oh 1 vote per day this year, hopefully they license sales for games that actually matter this time. Nope. Atleast cards are way easier to get.

Lomax

I still remember this year's summer sale, where Ikaruga was snobbed by the voting community. It never had a day with a big sale because of that.

Well they fixed that this sale, now it won't even get a chance :p

Anyone?

and anyone have recs on where to start with this series?

Yes, stronghold crusader 2 had a deal a couple days ago.

Has there been a bundle sale on Lego games yet? I don't own any so I'm looking for a decent sale to get into.

GMG right now with 25% off voucher is the best deal you will get.

Has there been a bundle sale on Lego games yet? I don't own any so I'm looking for a decent sale to get into.

GMG has Lego games on sale for 75% off, and on top of that a 25% off coupon 25HAPP-YXMASF-ROMGMG too. All Steam keys.

For recommendations, LEGO Batman 2 and Marvel Super Heroes are great for the multitude of comic book characters and open-world beyond the main story. The others are good too but mainly linear. The movie adaptations (Lego The Movie, LOTR, Hobbit, Harry Potter) are basically reeactments of scenes, and you'll realize they are all quite formulaic after playing a few games. I wouldn't play too many back to back, otherwise it may become tedious.

xezuru

Does anyone know if Greenmangaming has Encores on their sales? I missed out on something to flush out the rest of my playfire money.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Getting LC Temple of Osiris for 7.50 US Dollars is something special. Might as well be exploiting foreign currencies at these prices for new games.

Oare

There's a sale for a bundle on Greenmangaming, five Lego games for 25 usd. There's also a 25% off voucher on the front page that you can add for an extra discount.
If you don't like the games in the bundle, you can also pick a bunch of other individual Lego games at 75% off there. They are all steamworks and the voucher applies, bringing down most games to 3.75 usd each.

Edit: beaten to pieces.

What's the free gift in the green man gaming sale?

Anyone know what the bonus game for GMG is supposed to be? I'm tempted to pick up Temple of Osiris.

Grabbed from reddit:

Based on the comments so far, It will be one of the games that were given away for free in the welcome packs.
Canyon Capers
Gun Monkeys
Sanctum
Kung Fu Strike
Nosgoth Veteran pack
The journey Down chapter 1
Cobi treasure Deluxe
Numba Deluxe
Pixel Junk Monsters
Postal
Speedball 2
Victim of Xen

Aaron D.

Car Mechanic Simulator kicks ass in case anyone is curious.

From my GOTY list:

3g2ftGy.jpg

3. Car Mechanic Simulator 2014
Part of the Privileged 1% Club, CMS is a niche simulation title with actual gosh-darn production values, passion and polish. While not incredibly complex, the game is sophisticated in execution, offering a broad overview of vehicle systems and how they interact. There's a level of troubleshooting that makes the game feel puzzle-like in nature, along with the satisfaction that comes from intuiting the solutions. The game also sports the best one of the best original soundtracks I've ever heard in a simulation game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom