• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

So I just bought an Alien Isolation key off of Nuuvem to redeem on my UK steam account and it appears I made a huge mistake. I seem to have read it redeems on US accounts however? Any remedies? Anyone want a cheap Alien key? :(

Sadly didn't only happen to you. Take it to Buy/Sell thread and specify that it's region locked, best bet aside from giving it away for free, really.

Has Alien Isolation had a daily?

Yeah, it was 50% off.

NoRéN

So I just bought an Alien Isolation key off of Nuuvem to redeem on my UK steam account and it appears I made a huge mistake. I seem to have read it redeems on US accounts however? Any remedies? Anyone want a cheap Alien key? :(

REGION LOCKED: Esse jogo é restrito para América do Sul
I think it's region locked to South America.

Facism

Tempted by lords of the fallen, but my CPU is seemingly below minimum. It's a phenom X4 II 810 clocked at 3.2ghz.

Everything else is passes recommended specs. Should i pull the trigger? Please inform me, bredrens.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NoRéN;144669544 said:
I think it's region locked to South America.

The game isn't yet the key is, but only at the activation level, which is easily circumvented with a VPN. Nuuvem's region-lock notices generally do not reflect reality -- after the SR4 debacle it started liberally using them on new releases from publishers with a history of region-locking.

NoRéN

The game isn't yet the key is, but only at the activation level, which is easily circumvented with a VPN. Nuuvem's region-lock notices generally do not reflect reality -- after the SR4 debacle it started liberally using them on new releases from publishers with a history of region-locking.

Don't tell me. i just directly quoted the site. If there's a way around that, share it with the poster with the currently useless key.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Confused. The main page lists "today's featured deals" which I assume are the dailies. Yet, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon are NOT in the front page and are both dailies right now(only noticed checking out my wishlist and seeing the low prices).

Am I missing something here? Are some dailies not advertised on the main storefront page?

JaseC

NoRéN;144669952 said:
Don't tell me. i just directly quoted the site. If there's a way around that, share it with the poster with the currently useless key.

...I was clarifying the matter, which has the added bonus of sharing the remedy for those affected.

Really hoping for a sale on The Witcher 1 and 2. Do those ever go on steeper discounts than their current 50% off?

Is it even worth playing the first or should I skip to 2

I got the 1st one for about $2 and the 2nd one for maybe $3 just randomly throughout the year so they definitely do go lower than 50% lol.

But yea I say play both. If you have to choose then the 2nd one obviously.

Had lunch with my daughter today, got a $50 Steam card from her as a XMas gift.
fiw5hXx.gif

She knows me well.

Haha that's awesome.

Sch1sm

Confused. The main page lists "today's featured deals" which I assume are the dailies. Yet, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon are NOT in the front page and are both dailies right now(only noticed checking out my wishlist and seeing the low prices).

Am I missing something here? Are some dailies not advertised on the main storefront page?

Hidden dailies. Since Far Cry 4 is discounted, all Far Cry is discounted. When Binding of Isaac Rebirth was discounted, so was the original, when Alien: Iso was, so were the past Alien games.

KarmaCow

Generally the entire series will be discounted along with the game on the front page.

hlhbk

Steam down for anyone else? Every time I open the client it says it can't connect and lets me start in offline mode.

JaseC

Will it ever? Should I get it or wait?

Of course.

That's how Steam discounts generally work: game discount = other titles in the franchise are also discounted.

LuuKyK

Ok, the steam store just wont load for me. Error 118 or something like that. Thought it was a temporary problem, but I am starting to worry a little. Its been like this for almost two hours now. :(

I'm losing hope on SFxT getting any sale, it sitting at 0% discount right now.

Any plans for it to be migrated to Steamworks? Is it even any good at all as a couch-coop fighting game compared to USF4?

Volcynika

Any plans for it to be migrated to Steamworks? Is it even any good at all as a couch-coop fighting game compared to USF4?

Don't think it was one of the games Capcom announced they'll migrate to Steamworks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really hoping for a sale on The Witcher 1 and 2. Do those ever go on steeper discounts than their current 50% off?

Is it even worth playing the first or should I skip to 2

Really loved both games. Just beware that the actual combat in both games is pretty awful. Terribly balanced in your favor, a bit dull and very tedious. Probably worth skipping a lot of sidequests(especially the first game) as they can really drag out the overall gameclock and the rewards are needless given how easy the game is.

The real enjoyment is in the worldbuilding, characters, and narrative. Both games excel greatly here, particularly the second game. You will miss a lot of subtle callbacks and references jumping into 2 without playing the first, especially in the confusing opening hours.

If you are up for a great set of interactive high fantasy adventures, just start with W1, which will set the stage nicely for the two sequels.

KarmaCow

I'm pretty sure Capcom is willing to let it rot since no one cares about the game. They tried to fix it with the 2013 update but it was already dead in the community.

I'm pretty sure Capcom is willing to let it rot since no one cares about the game. They tried to fix it with the 2013 update but it was already dead in the community.

really? what made it die? it seems like an interesting crossover. I wonder what about it sucked so hard.

devo1989

Sadly didn't only happen to you. Take it to Buy/Sell thread and specify that it's region locked, best bet aside from giving it away for free, really..

Appreciate the help.

Before I go and attempt to pawn this key off, is this at all risky? I have used a VPN a bunch to pass unlock dates but this seems maybe a little more borderline ban worthy?

God, I don't know if I should pick up Lords of the Fallen.

Zukb.gif

There's still over a week left of these sales and most of my budget would go into that.
Then again these sales have been quite disappointing to me so far.

Feel the same. It is on my radar and I haven't bought jack this whole sale. I figure I will wait till Summer sale, it will probably remain unplayed in my backlog until then anyway.

Ricker

Now we are talking...2 great deals on Lords of The Fallen and Evil Within,played both on PS4,they are pretty good.

Still waiting on Divinity OS for me though...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Endless Legend is sort of really polished crap. Fantastic presentation, terrible gameplay. Age of Wonders 3 is the much better 4x fantasy game

Supreme Commander 2? Yes or no?

Very yes, had nearly 50 hours put into it. The game was patched and upgraded a lot on PC. Still a downgrade from the original but can provide some good fun. Ranked is absolutely dead though but some people still play it. Has 3 SP campaigns as well and the skirmish is very entertaining.

If you were looking for a RTS that has mechs and even naval combat, you'll find that here. I wish more games could include naval combat!

edit:

The X-COM games are on discount too... $10 for the whole Enemy Unknown+Within stuff. Someone (I think Durante) said that Valkyria Chronicles was kind of like X-COM, of course with macho men, aliens, pew pew but none of the waifu squads and tank warfare. Still, I love me some strategic titles. Worth it?

KarmaCow

really? what made it die? it seems like an interesting crossover. I wonder what about it sucked so hard.

I'm not an expert but from what I remember watching tournaments, most games ended in time outs because the game was really geared toward playing defensively + having recoverable health with two characters. It was certainly boring to watch, dunno how it was to play. They tried to fix it with things like throws removing grey health but I don't think anyone really cared with other games out already.

JaseC

Before I go and attempt to pawn this key off, is this at all risky? I have used a VPN a bunch to pass unlock dates but this seems maybe a little more borderline ban worthy?
Using a VPN at all is technically against the rules, but in practice Valve hasn't done anything to those using one to redeem keys or unlock games early. Using a VPN is even necessary for game collectors as some region-specific stuff is exclusive to retail and tied to a sub that is region-locked at the activation level (e.g. Football Manager 2012 Korean). Also, Valve stopped banning accounts almost three years ago now in favour of a restriction-based system -- even if you broke every rule in the book, you wouldn't lose access to your games, just Steam Community features as well as the ability to add to your library.

The short version is that in theory it's risky but in practice it's not.

pahamrick

Very yes, had nearly 50 hours put into it. The game was patched and upgraded a lot on PC. Still a downgrade from the original but can provide some good fun. Ranked is absolutely dead though but some people still play it. Has 3 SP campaigns as well and the skirmish is very entertaining.

If you were looking for a RTS that has mechs and even naval combat, you'll find that here. I wish more games could include naval combat!

edit:

The X-COM games are on discount too... $10 for the whole Enemy Unknown+Within stuff. Someone (I think Durante) said that Valkyria Chronicles was kind of like X-COM, of course with macho men, aliens, pew pew but none of the waifu squads and tank warfare. Still, I love me some strategic titles. Worth it?

XCOM is great. Buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom