• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still pathetic, don't waste you money, if you have console buy there, PC online is the worst version of the game and it's dead even on weekends, Crapcom killed the PC community, some of the people on my friends list who own it quit the PC and got the 360 version, PC was once the best version to play SF4, now it's the absolute worst, my recommendation is AVOID..

Uhhh, I play ranked and endless fairly regularly and it's not nearly as bad as you say it is. It's true that the Xbox version is by far the best overall, but the PC version is fine if you don't mind a much smaller playerbase.

DukeBobby

The evil within is basically a resident evil game? is it a good resident evil game?

It's a good, but inconsistent action-horror game. Some parts are really great, while others are really awful.

If you're a fan of Resident Evil 4, it's worth picking up, despite being nowhere near as good.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Maxwood, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Maxwood, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Escape Goat 2 -- MB-AE705D7CD9CCBE9C - Taken by ramoisdead. 50 entrants total.
A tour de force in puzzle design, absolutely brilliant game.
Banished -- MB-76D1067A826C6DEA - Taken by Polishin8r. 48 entrants total.
I haven't got a clue, but it looks nice.
Might & Magic X: Legacy -- MB-7593BBFD6A156B50 - Taken by Purkake4. 56 entrants total.
My second favorite game of 2014, prepare to lose countless hours to this time devouring gem.

t1419450542z1.png

Cerity

For those on the fence on Lords of the Fallen, if you can wait, I'd wait. The game is still fairly buggy, the bosses have terrible hitboxes and it really isn't balanced at all.

You didn't get that Divinity comment from Idle Thumbs did you? Because the game doesn't play like Diablo at all. It is a turn based combat system with a heavy emphasis on elemental effects.

Yeah. The Diablo comparison was somewhat justified back when Divine Divinity came out, but it's a label that seems to have stuck to the Divinity games long after it's ceased to be relevant.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why not? I was thinking about picking it up but was waiting for more opinions.
Checked my bank account :(...

Edit: my comparison/impressions

- Demon's Souls is my favorite game of last gen and ranks my third best game of all time
- DkS is a overall a good spiritual successor. The early 50% of the game is just as good as Demon's Souls (perfect, in other words) but unfortunately drops massively in game quality after reaching 50%>
- DkS2 is a great and different game that is solid throughout the entire game
- Lords of the Fallen follows what DkS2 does. There is not a single part where I feel "Oh no, not this shit again" - the content is equally as good from beginning to end. The game does however fail with a few things, priorly:

- The amount of bugs in the game is next to unacceptable and had it not been a great game, I would've dropped this a long time ago. The bugs I can think of currently are:

1. The game crashed 3 times during my 30 hours of gameplay
2. I've had my character die for no reason whatsoever, he just dropped dead
3: Twice, I had no chance of getting my souls back. As I died, the souls were completely vanished
4: Throughout the entire game, I had plenty of audio bugs where the sound of getting an epic (or better item), or when killing a boss would be delayed by 10 minutes. Also every dialog from a cutscene would end up quiet. I've had to restart the game in order to 'solve' this issue but it would show up again a few hours later.
5: I had plenty of optional chests disappearing in front of my face just as I was opening them. This only happened in the challenge stages.

- The bosses are quite bad and not recognizable at all. This is a common thing in DkS2 as well. I mean their design is pretty good (everyone looks like Sauron from LotR though) but the strategy in beating them is usually identical.

Overall, the experience was great and I'll probably play this for another 100-200 hours. I especially like the fact that it's good from start to finish and there's never a point where I say "this place sucks and drops the quality of the game".

For those who don't want to read my post, here's my scoring (out of 10) for the game(s):

Demon's Souls 9
Dark Souls PS3: 6, PC: 7
Dark Souls 2 PS3: 4, PC: 8
Lords of the Fallen PS4: 6, PC: We'll see! Can't wait to get my hands on it.
The game has been patched a lot since then btw.

Bought the Talisman 4-Pack. Received a copy for myself, and 4 gift copies. Error?

3 are marked as 'Talisman Digital Edition Gift' and 1 is marked as 'Talisman Digital Edition Retail Gift'. Oh well, extra gift!

LmLiit6.png

gogosox82

For those on the fence on Lords of the Fallen, if you can wait, I'd wait. The game is still fairly buggy, the bosses have terrible hitboxes and it really isn't balanced at all.

While all of this is true. Its not a bad price at $20. I wouldn't suggest paying more than $20 for it though.

autoduelist

Does Talisman have a thriving online community? That is to say, i love board games, but have absolutely no one in real life to play them with. I've never played Talisman (heck, I own board games I've never played). So if I bought this, I'd want/need to be able to just grab a game with a random whenever. What are the odds of that being a possibility?

God damn the raffles in this thread are unreal!! I gotta post more often haha.

But yea I guess I'll agree with most people in that it just doesn't live up to the hype of that first one. Sweet mama that first one.

And honestly if you've just paid attention throughout the year yea most of these sales shouldn't be that face-melting I guess but still.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Vazduh, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazduh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Spelunky -- MB-43D4EE5E9EA3DDFD - Taken by bigzgod. 32 entrants total.

t1419451686z1.png

God damn the raffles in this thread are unreal!! I gotta post more often haha.

But yea I guess I'll agree with most people in that it just doesn't live up to the hype of that first one. Sweet mama that first one.

And honestly if you've just paid attention throughout the year yea most of these sales shouldn't be that face-melting I guess but still.

Nothing beats your first time.

xezuru

Does Talisman have a thriving online community? That is to say, i love board games, but have absolutely no one in real life to play them with. I've never played Talisman (heck, I own board games I've never played). So if I bought this, I'd want/need to be able to just grab a game with a random whenever. What are the odds of that being a possibility?

I don't think the population is exactly thriving, I didn't see that many lobbies last time I checked, that said, now its on Sale, so If you can find a good group on your own/in GAF, online is solid with plenty of House Rule options.

Hosts can "host the DLC" for other, this includes characters if you force random.

Question: is it weird not to give a shit about badges? I don't really feel I have the time or patience for them, so I put all my trading cards up for sale as soon as I get them.
No, I almost always sell. I've learned the hard way keeping hold of Steam items. The prices almost always drop eventually. Cash out. Only reason I'm crafting is because I don't want to provide tax details to the Federal government at 200 sales.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The entire Far Cry franchise is on daily deal (happens a lot actually, the latest game is on the front page but rest of the franchise is with special discount until the daily sale is over).

I must confess I know absolutely nothing about the Far Cry franchise, but I love single player games. I'm not a big fan of FPS, but love Half Life.

What's Far Cry like? What games it resembles? Long or short?

Thanks.

ExoSoul

Banned
The entire Far Cry franchise is on daily deal (happens a lot actually, the latest game is on the front page but rest of the franchise is with special discount until the daily sale is over).

I must confess I know absolutely nothing about the Far Cry franchise, but I love single player games. I'm not a big fan of FPS, but love Half Life.

What's Far Cry like? What games it resembles? Long or short?

Thanks.
Minecraft with guns and action kills
only half joking

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Haha that Far Cry 'deal'. Amazing. Nothing for me today from the other selection of games as I already own the ones with remotely decent discounts. Admittedly I'm slightly tempted by Lords of The Fallen but I would be surprised if I couldn't pick it up in 6 months or less for half that sale price.

Everybody, buy Bully. It's worth it for the soundtrack alone. As an added bonus, the game is really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RU7CohvsMU&list=PLA528B0C12ED9EEFC

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (zer0blivion, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bully: Scholarship Edition -- MB-26716A61D562ED78 - Taken by ref. 32 entrants total.
Bully: Scholarship Edition #2 -- MB-5B616AA4E0149746 - Taken by Andrea23. 30 entrants total.

t1419459546z1.png

rbanke

Anyone else mildly annoyed that early access games are in the daily deals? I'm not against them in theory but with so many of them rarely getting out of early access I feel this is just diluting the games that are actually released. After being burned a few times on early access games when it was introduced, I made a rule that I won't buy any game until its out of early access.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
gp
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (alr1ght, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

Gunpoint -- MB-8657B8B0182D328D - Taken by drakaenae. 11 entrants total.

t1419459606z1.png

Bought the Talisman 4-Pack. Received a copy for myself, and 4 gift copies. Error?

3 are marked as 'Talisman Digital Edition Gift' and 1 is marked as 'Talisman Digital Edition Retail Gift'. Oh well, extra gift!

LmLiit6.png

Not an error actually, do you happen to own Prologue as well? Part of their christmas thing was they were giving 3 copies of the game to anyone who had bought the Gold pack. For the people who owned just prologue and then bought Talisman, they ended up getting one free gift copy.

Rezae

Couldn't quite bite the bullet on Endless Legends. Never played a 4X game before... I'll gamble that maybe it'll go cheaper later. Have my eyes on AoW3 possibly though, as it's a bit cheaper.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Amazon has the Sonic Hits Collection for $9.99 (U.S. only). Just picked that up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

LmLiit6.png

Bonus copies were added to all of the game's post-release subs. Single-copy and four-pack purchasers receive one bonus gift while those who opt for the Gold Edition receive three (excludes the standard edition sub in use on the store, for some reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom