• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I remember when these steam sales used to be great. Now, their prices aren't even the lowest anymore. I mean, if Amazon/GMG have the lowest prices then something's changed. I have a wishlist of about 40 games and the only thing I've bought so far is Prison Architect. :|

BasilZero

Anyone else did not get the card after today's vote?

It's been 20 minutes and no card arrived after I voted

It wouldnt let me vote for some reason....maybe related ;x?

I keep getting this message

Community's Choice
There was a problem recording your vote. Please try again later.

I remember when these steam sales used to be great. Now, their prices aren't even the lowest anymore. I mean, if Amazon/GMG have the lowest prices then something's changed. I have a wishlist of about 40 games and the only thing I've bought so far is Prison Architect. :|

To be fair, that started happening a few years ago, especially when Tony was still running the Amazon digital game sales. Some of those prices were crazy.

I think a lot of my lack of interest in this year's sale comes down to the slower update rate. I only have to check in twice a day to know everything, so if I'm disappointed by a round of sales I check out for half a day. I imagine everyone in this thread is similar, since so many of us are veterans. Hence, slower churn in this thread and elsewhere and lower buzz overall.

I bought Torchlight 2 and after creating two characters and spending an hour each, I now remember why I haven't touched this genre in like 15 years. Click, click, click, click, click...click...click...click... It's practically a brain damage simulator.

Also, who broke the store? Gabe fix it pls. I'm trying to see if Dungeon Defenders Eternity is as bad as they say now that it's dirt cheap.

I don't really get what you're saying... Why didn't you contact Humble about that? You paid for the bundle, it was not advertised as timed and you do in fact own Alpha Protocol and they do owe you a key.

It was listed as un redeemed and I created a gift link then gave it away here, I contacted support and they said they could revoke it from the winner and return it to me but I didn't want to do that to the winner.

derExperte

Going by the reviews Train Fever has vastly improved since its rough launch. But only -40%.... I think I'll just put it higher on my wishlist for now.

I think a lot of my lack of interest in this year's sale comes down to the slower update rate. I only have to check in twice a day to know everything, so if I'm disappointed by a round of sales I check out for half a day. I imagine everyone in this thread is similar, since so many of us are veterans. Hence, slower churn in this thread and elsewhere and lower buzz overall.

To be fair at least we don't get dozens of 'fuck those repeats' posts every few hours. Of course I'd prefer the old frequency just without rehashes but imo this is an improvement. As is the community vote where even the losers get a higher discount.

X-COM Complete is 80% off. XCOM+Bureau is 80% off. Enemy Within is only 66% off. I want to kick myself in the nuts.

What happens if I buy the Complete Edition when I already have the base game? I get a copy of the base game to gift away or something?

EDIT: Also, Steam down for me.

abracadaver

buy Planetary Annihilation if you like old school RTS games were you build bases with giant armies. It reminded me a lot of Total Annihilation.

NoPiece

Was thinking about getting Grid: Autosport, but after looking for some impressions of it, it seems like a competent racer, but not much more, where the career mode seems dull. Anyone who disagress with that impression?

I thought Autosport was a return to form for Codemasters. I was more of a fan of the TOCA games than the recent GRID/DIrt games, and Autosport felt like they refocused on the actual racing.

Decado

I seem to recall the port of Hot Pursuit 2 was pretty weak. Did EA improve it?

Really enjoyed it on the PS3 and wouldn't mind picking it up again (particularly if I can find a cheat that gets me roughly to where I was before).

I'm looking at Grimrock 2 and Lords of Xulima, and I'm really tempted. I haven't finished Grimrock 1, but I'm planning to start over and try again with a better party. Anything to push me over the edge and get them?

I also got Might and Magic X (which runs like ass, but I like it) and Shadow Warrior this sale.

Crayons

Banned
Wow I bought Planetary Annihilation because it looked cool and it said User reviews: Mostly positive so I gave it a shot. I just scrolled down to the reviews and all of them are negative. What a mistake.

fallout

I bought Torchlight 2 and after creating two characters and spending an hour each, I now remember why I haven't touched this genre in like 15 years. Click, click, click, click, click...click...click...click... It's practically a brain damage simulator.
You can click and hold for a lot of it. That said, I do agree that the genre feels a bit stale to me. Torchlight 2 did make a bunch of usability improvements, but it just couldn't hold my interest as much as the first one for some reason.

Weakest day of the sale so far? Or maybe I'm just extremely disappointed after hyping myself up a bit.

Especially when a lot of things I'm interested in at this point are more niche.

BTW XCOM is pretty good having played it some last night and this morning. If you don't have it, complete version is what you want. Best deal.

Durante

I'm looking at Grimrock 2 and Lords of Xulima, and I'm really tempted. I haven't finished Grimrock 1, but I'm planning to start over and try again with a better party. Anything to push me over the edge and get them?
Well, I like Grimrock 2 a lot more than 1. The only complaint I have is that the battle system still rewards silly circle dancing, and that was always going to be the case and I can live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom