• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchasing Gone Home at 80% off for a friend, surprised to find the wealth of negative reviews for it. You really need to scroll quite far before you find even one positive.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/reviews/?browsefilter=trendthreemonths&snr=1_5_reviews_&p=1

There was backlash when Gone Home started getting a lot of buzz and praise for what it did, resulting in negative reviews getting upvoted and positive reviews being downvoted... which brings us to the sad situation you see today.

It's a vocal minority, as you can see by the review totals. (~7700 positive, ~2100 negative.)

Picked up Grid Autosport and Halo Spartan Assault.

Is Slender worth it?

wat @ the bolded

Why would you buy it?! Have you seen Spartan Assault?!

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I liked what I played of Planetary Annihilation. Not really my style of RTS, but it's fun playing on easier difficulties.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Considering Grimlock 2 as well. Though I was a bit miffed at the first game for demanding 'dance' tactics to get through tougher fights than well timed or placed ability/skill use. Lands of Lore 1/2 are the only similar games I have played to this(way back) but I don't recall circle strafing being such a necessity in them comparatively. May end up waiting for an even cheaper sale next year if it is truly more of that.

Resident Evil games are on sale at Green Man Gaming right now. Using the additional 25% off code from the front page of their site will drop the prices lower than they will be on Steam, almost guaranteed.
You have about 16 hours left.
thanksssss :3 got RE6 and Sleepings Dogs DE .....now to just think on what to buy next ;_;

or just wait for Arma 3 big deals

teiresias

I've got the original Sleeping Dogs but never played it. Is it worth upgrading to the Definitive Edition, and do I get a further discount on top of the Daily Deal Price for having the original?

There was backlash when Gone Home started getting a lot of buzz and praise for what it did, resulting in negative reviews getting upvoted and positive reviews being downvoted... which brings us to the sad situation you see today.

It's a vocal minority, as you can see by the review totals. (~7700 positive, ~2100 negative.)

wat @ the bolded

Why would you buy it?! Have you seen Spartan Assault?!

Yeah played it on Xbox One to completion. Fun cheap twin stick shooter.

I've got the original Sleeping Dogs but never played it. Is it worth upgrading to the Definitive Edition, and do I get a further discount on top of the Daily Deal Price for having the original?

I never played it but I would say no and no :p

What makes you think you will play the DE if you never played the original despite owning it?

Oh man, such an intense dislike towards Planetary Annihilation... I watched some videos and I'm not liking the irony that, despite talking about planetary-scale conflicts, it still feels even smaller than SupCom. Should've been called annihilation of small sized spheres.

The simplified, blocky and way too clean robot artstyle isn't of my liking either =/

Fair enough, X-COM it is! You won, GAF!

edit: Speaking of RTS games, what was the last game that dared to put a shit-ton of units in battle? SupCom? I am glad they are working towards that tech to put 5k units or more on screen, the genre needs it. I'm sick of micro-managing 3-4 squads, I want strikingly big battles with hundreds of units throwing dakka dakka at each other. Do the Total War games have that?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm playing it on PS4 and its been one of the most engaging and enjoyable open world crime games I've ever played. The Definitive Edition alters and upgrades some of the visuals as well as bundling a massive amount of DLC which if you don't already own any of is worth the current $10 asking price alone. Not totally certain the visual changes are as readily apparent on PC over PS3->PS4, but again all that DLC adds a lot to the game.

autoduelist

Steam should make it so that if you actually buy the game you voted for, your next vote is worth x3, and then if you buy the next, x5, x10, etc. Gives an incentive to actually buy the game, and effectively negates some of the 'bad' voters.

Steam, hire me. I'll work for games.

Vizzeh

Banned
Got Bioshock 1,2,3 and gone home as daily deals, more than happy with the prices paid for the quantity + quality of games.

Keeping my eye out for some stupidly good prices but think I already have plenty to play on steam + ps4....although really keeping an eye on Arma 3 (mostly for the mods) anyone know if it has ever or likely to pass -35% off?

I'm surprised how good Gauntlet is. Having a blast.

Also grabbed Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box Collection. While I like the Burnout series I've never played Paradise.

fallout

Purchasing Gone Home at 80% off for a friend, surprised to find the wealth of negative reviews for it. You really need to scroll quite far before you find even one positive.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/reviews/?browsefilter=trendthreemonths&snr=1_5_reviews_&p=1
It gets a lot of flak for "not being a game". A lot of people didn't seem to care for the themes explored by the game, either. I think there are some legitimate complaints about how the narrative plays out, but for the most part, I thought it was a great experience.

It gets a lot of flak for "not being a game". A lot of people didn't seem to care for the themes explored by the game, either. I think there are some legitimate complaints about how the narrative plays out, but for the most part, I thought it was a great experience.

Same here. I liked it tho I do think it was a bit pricey at launch for the amount of content

There is a pretty good deal on Bioshock Infinite Complete Bundle (BS:I base game + Season Pass + Columbia's Finest DLC) for $10 over at GameAgent. The deal will be in "My Dashboard" when you log in.

They typically sell Aspyr (Mac) versions, but these are Steam keys and since Bioshock Infinite is SteamPlay, they will work on PC too.

Is Resident Evil 4 4,99€ on GMG if I enter the code? What is the chance it will cost as much when Resident Evil gets a daily?

GMG's discount codes work off of the current price, not the regular price. RE4 is on sale for $10, so it will be $7.50 with the -25% off holiday code applied.

Steam's sales have, by and large, been lackluster, so don't expect any great deals. Nowadays they're the exception, not the rule.

cavefishes

Neo Member
So I've been eyeing Ultra Street Fighter IV for a while now and the daily deal for it (40% off) is the lowest it's been in a while. I took a look at some price histories, and it looks like at the end of May it was on sale for 75% off, and used to be at that price fairly frequently.

Should I be holding out for a lower price or is 40% the biggest drop we'll see for a while? $7.50 would be a lot easier for me to jump on than $18.

Also going to pick up Skullgirls by the end of the sale. ~$5 seems like a really good deal already, but I might as well wait and see if there's a daily deal or flash sale for it.

Speevy

Banned
Why did the publishers stop selling big bundles of their games? I remember way back in 2011 when that was a thing.

Was it just the creation of Origin and Uplay, or the expansion of libraries? Greed?

Tizoc

So I've been eyeing Ultra Street Fighter IV for a while now and the daily deal for it (40% off) is the lowest it's been in a while. I took a look at some price histories, and it looks like at the end of May it was on sale for 75% off, and used to be at that price fairly frequently.

Should I be holding out for a lower price or is 40% the biggest drop we'll see for a while? $7.50 would be a lot easier for me to jump on than $18.

Also going to pick up Skullgirls by the end of the sale. ~$5 seems like a really good deal already, but I might as well wait and see if there's a daily deal or flash sale for it.

Skullgirls was under $4 on HumbleBundle a few days ago.
USF4 being cheapr won't happen til Summer Sale 2015 at the latest.

Pezus

Steam should make it so that if you actually buy the game you voted for, your next vote is worth x3, and then if you buy the next, x5, x10, etc. Gives an incentive to actually buy the game, and effectively negates some of the 'bad' voters.

Steam, hire me. I'll work for games.

That would be very unfair though. What if you vote for a game that doesn't win and feel like its discount isn't steep enough?

brassica

There is a pretty good deal on Bioshock Infinite Complete Bundle (BS:I base game + Season Pass + Columbia's Finest DLC) for $10 over at GameAgent. The deal will be in "My Dashboard" when you log in.

They typically sell Aspyr (Mac) versions, but these are Steam keys and since Bioshock Infinite is SteamPlay, they will work on PC too.

Thanks!
I can confirm it is accepted on the Windows version of Steam.

I have a code for the Arkham Origins cold cold heart DLC (i bought it, and gmg gave me the season pass for origins as my free bonus game)... Anyone want cold cold heart? (USA region)

EDIT. CODE GONE...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
South Park is cheaper on Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICSSO78/

Football Manager is cheaper on Amazon UK too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OJE6UL6/

Is South park a steam code on Amazon? Been waiting for that to drop for ages, never occurred to me to check Amazon

Also, steam should have a thing to protect buyers. It's shitty of them to have South park on 'sale' a few days ago, then again now for a much bigger discount. If that was Amazon they'd redund you the difference. Something like refunding you the difference if a price drops within 7 days of purchase would make me much happier to jump into sales earlier without playing the stupid meta game.

The_Monk

Anyone in here recently played Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on PC? I played a long time ago the console version and I was wondering if I should double-dip or not considering the low price. I want to have better performance than when I played the PS3 version. Does the game still holds up well? Thanks in advance.

Also, wish Resident Evil 5 could go a bit cheaper, it gets tiresome to budget everything, everyday but I can wait. :)

MrPanic

Hm, decisions decisions. Can anyone tell me if Test Drive Unlimited 2 is worth it? Seems like a online heavy game, is it still worthwhile?

Can anyone tell me if the Dungeon Defenders dlc is any good? Played the game a long time back on xbox, but I might as well pick the game up again for that price if the dlc is good.

legacyzero

Banned
Anyone in here recently played Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on PC? I played a long time ago the console version and I was wondering if I should double-dip or not considering the low price. I want to have better performance than when I played the PS3 version. Does the game still holds up well? Thanks in advance.

Also, wish Resident Evil 5 could go a bit cheaper, it gets tiresome to budget everything, everyday but I can wait. :)

Game is pretty fun, and performs well, though at the cost of a lot of jaggies. The only way I know to fully correct them, is with some heavy downsampling.

pahamrick

Not sure on the price in your region, Monk, but Green Man Gaming has Resident Evil 5 pretty cheap ($6.79 here in the states) and there's a 25% off code floating around as well.

rrs

NFS:HP was decent from what I played of it about a year ago.

Hm, decisions decisions. Can anyone tell me if Test Drive Unlimited 2 is worth it? Seems like a online heavy game, is it still worthwhile?

Can anyone tell me if the Dungeon Defenders dlc is any good? Played the game a long time back on xbox, but I might as well pick the game up again for that price if the dlc is good.

TDU2's end game is nope.jpg, and the cars suddenly decide to act like they are in a realistic sim w/o assists around the A rank. Still unique but there's better out there

The_Monk

Game is pretty fun, and performs well, though at the cost of a lot of jaggies. The only way I know to fully correct them, is with some heavy downsampling.

Thanks my good man. I should also focus on new entries instead of double-dipping but I love that nostalgia feeling!

Not sure on the price in your region, Monk, but Green Man Gaming has Resident Evil 5 pretty cheap ($6.79 here in the states) and there's a 25% off code floating around as well.

That comes a bit cheaper indeed since it's 6,79€ in here as well, without the code. It's just that I'm stuck on my Steam wallet funds and I must resist going over my budget plan.

But thanks anyway! :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GuardianE, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Devil May Cry 4 #2 -- MB-A32FA21C69370B6B - Taken by shockdude. 15 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 -- MB-7A07DF95A44AEEBC - Taken by dave is ok. 29 entrants total.

t1419552191z1.png

Just popping in to wish Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom