• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
KOTOR is has a daily deal attached to it now and is going for $3.99. I want to get it since the Xbox game simply doesn't function on a 360. A few questions, though:

1. For system requirements, it says that I need Windows XP or Windows Vista. I guess this means that it's not compatible with Windows 8.1?
Sorry, I'm new to PC gaming.
If it isn't, is there an easy way to install Windows XP on my computer?

2. Should I get KOTOR2? I heard it was worse than the first game, but I'm not sure on the details.
  1. A lot of older games won't mention compatibility with newer OSes because they were released before their time. Games made for Windows XP+ shouldn't be a problem in most cases, perhaps sometimes requiring a tweak or two that you can find on Google or the Steam subforum for the game in question. I know KotOR2 (probably KotOR1 as well) works on Windows 8/8.1.
  2. Both KotORs are great. That said, be sure to play the second one with the Content Restored mod for an optimal experience.

Use Flawless Widescreen app for KOTOR. It's highly recommended.

I also have no idea what this is lol.

Talk to me like a 5-year-old who has never played PC games before (because it's true... the latter part at least). I literally installed Steam a few days ago for the first time because I finally got a good enough computer that can actually run the games on it.

autoduelist

That would be very unfair though. What if you vote for a game that doesn't win and feel like its discount isn't steep enough?

It's not like not getting a multiplier would be a big deal. But the people that did pull the trigger at least have similar tastes to you. It's not like something like that would ever get implemented anyway, it was just brainstorming a way to reduce the effect of non-buying voters.

gogosox82

KOTOR is has a daily deal attached to it now and is going for $3.99. I want to get it since the Xbox game simply doesn't function on a 360. A few questions, though:

1. For system requirements, it says that I need Windows XP or Windows Vista. I guess this means that it's not compatible with Windows 8.1?
Sorry, I'm new to PC gaming.
If it isn't, is there an easy way to install Windows XP on my computer?

2. Should I get KOTOR2? I heard it was worse than the first game, but I'm not sure on the details.

I'd say KOTOR2 is better than KOTOR1 if you install the restored content mod. I played it last year on windows 7 and it ran fine so I don't think you should have a problem. You may need to run it compatibility mode though for it to work.

bigace33

Having well over 500 games on steam has really made my experience for this sale pretty light. I did pick up some great content though.

Lego Batman 3 - 11.99
Lego Batman 3 season pass- 7.99
The Detail- 4.43
Dead Pixels- .95

I've spent roughly $25 this sale where I would usually spend anywhere from $80-100.

maguskain

I was just about to buy DD as well and then this rain of hate happened. Put me right out of my mood to buy it. :p

Got it a few months back for myself and my two kids. Just checked and we have 23 hours in and we had a ton of fun playing together. If you're just getting it for singleplayer, you'll get tired of it.

Denton

Not exactly steam related, but just FYI Dragon Age Inquisition is 26 dollars on mexican origin (I just bought it from central Europe through Hola plugin). I haven't seen it this cheap yet anywhere (maybe I missed something).

If anyone's interested Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know is $13 on UPlay, it gives you a Steam key, and it also includes all the DLC.

Popstar

moar giveaways
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-231A49FCC1EAFAF3 - Taken by Macheezmo
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-E638296F3E1ED214 - Taken by FauX
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-81650E4B111727A7 - Taken by famfrit
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-C934C72C2D52B11F - Taken by <parameter: string>
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-F5226D883C799FEF - Taken by C4rter
Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-5F078FEA08A9A3B5 - Taken by celsowmbr

bigace33

The Square enix store has FFIV on sale for $6.40. Is this the steam version or will I needtheir service to run the game? Might just go ahead and spend the $10 on steam if that's the case.

Macheezmo

gotdamn popstar. i own most of those, but everyone else should too

As someone who just got into Steam and has a budget for Steam games, I really want to give a huge heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone doing giveaways/raffles. It's been fantastic being able to start up a backlog to keep me busy while times are a little tough for me. I'm hoping that by the summer sales I'll be in a better position so I can give back to community. Thanks again to everyone.

Unicorn

As someone who just got into Steam and has a budget for Steam games, I really want to give a huge heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone doing giveaways/raffles. It's been fantastic being able to start up a backlog to keep me busy while times are a little tough for me. I'm hoping that by the summer sales I'll be in a better position so I can give back to community. Thanks again to everyone.

Yes. So gracious for those that are so generous to the community.

Lords of the Fallen is still in its DLC lifecycle right? I would personally wait and get all the content at what will probably be a lower price.

But if you got to play now you got to play now.

Got South Park for cheap and bought NFS Hot Pursuit for $4 as well just because.

Even if I stop now and don't get anything else I am happy with my haul. Good stuff.

Really want to get Lego Batman 3 for that price but I figure by the time I get a computer good enough for it, it will be ~$10 like all the other Lego games.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Here are some crazy simulation games, literally the most German games ever created, you might want to own:

ModBot said:
Instructions for everyone:

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Casimir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Towtruck Simulator 2015 -- MB-1B31B973B26CA39F - Taken by drakaenae
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator -- MB-C91567254B3DE13A - Taken by Krakn3Dfx
Skyscraper Simulator -- MB-4DAFAFE42F62E510 - Taken by bobnowhere
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition -- MB-C89A827B4488A24E - Taken by JustLynx
Airport Simulator 2014 -- MB-6A6C39C994643F44 - Taken by MillionStabs
Professional Farmer 2014 -- MB-1020D07D722CAD47 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow

The keys should all be good, but if there are any issues please let me know.

Volcynika

The Square enix store has FFIV on sale for $6.40. Is this the steam version or will I needtheir service to run the game? Might just go ahead and spend the $10 on steam if that's the case.

Well on the store page for it, under activation...

Requires Steam client to activate game.

In order to activate your game, you please follow the steps below:

1.) Download and install Steam from here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/
2.) Create a new account or log in to an existing one.
3.) Once you have logged into Steam, click on “Games” in the top toolbar.
4.) Select “Activate a Product on Steam…” and follow the on-screen instructions.
5.) Enter your product code when prompted to.

After completing all of the above steps, your game should begin downloading and will be available under the “LIBRARY” section of Steam.

Some leftover Humble Bundle keys, enjoy.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (His Majesty, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War -- MB-31316AE33FF91320 - Taken by darkchewie
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-5B07F3AD4C8D9295
Titan Quest -- MB-C112815E2190DF51 - Taken by Luap
FEZ -- MB-7EB67A53638E127E - Taken by rrvv
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-837EE3013B40080D - Taken by Poetic.Injustice

Hidden Gem Alert: Blackwell Bundle (games 1-4, with the final game in the series, Blackwell Epiphany, being sold separately.)
The Blackwell series is a collection of fantastic adventure games centering around a girl, her gift, and her ghost. Overall, it's a cleverly written series that shows a well-realised world with a serious story that still manages to be humorous where appropriate. The adventure gaming itself is by and large logical progression rather than erratic leaps, though there are times where it's hard to puzzle out. Each game builds up to a spectacular and well done ending in Blackwell Epiphany.

Buy it and enjoy it.
Edit: shit wrong thread.

Ignore.

It's too late for that.

Add him to The List™.

Edit: This whole "two Steam threads" thing gets confusing sometimes.

aScaris

Hidden Gem Alert: Blackwell Bundle (games 1-4, with the final game in the series, Blackwell Epiphany, being sold separately.)

The Blackwell series is a collection of fantastic adventure games centering around a girl, her gift, and her ghost. Overall, it's a cleverly written series that shows a well-realised world with a serious story that still manages to be humorous where appropriate. The adventure gaming itself is by and large logical progression rather than erratic leaps, though there are times where it's hard to puzzle out. Each game builds up to a spectacular and well done ending in Blackwell Epiphany.

Buy it and enjoy it.

It's too late for that.

Add him to The List™.

Edit: This whole "two Steam threads" thing gets confusing sometimes.

Played the first two games of this series so far and really enjoyed it. Beautiful pixel art, nice voice acting and good puzzles: Get it now!! :)

It's a pitty that is "only" a MMO. Would like a new Cthulhu inspired game with single player, like Dark Corners of Earth.

It should have been a single player game, that's true. Still glad though that Funcom keeps going despite the mediocre reception and playerbase. They made something really unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom