• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot Pursuit is the same way IIRC but you can easily get an Origin key just by clicking on the game in your library.
Thanks for the tip.
So just to be clear, to play Hot Pursuit, I have to get the Origin version of the game? I've redeemed my CD Key from Steam on my Origin account and I should download it there?

Shepard

Ziguratt is the best surprise I had this sale. I've never even heard of this game before, bought based on GAF comments and I'm having a blast. Nice little game.

Kagemusha

Startopia! Had fun with that. Not sure if it's the same build as GOG.com but that is fun space base building game. Sort of supports 1080 resolutions but can be hard to read text.

Waves is good fun.
wizorb: any recommendations?

I just picked up both KOTORs for 6 bucks. Any good mods out there?

For KOTOR1:

Brotherhood of Shadow (only do a full install before a new playthrough)
Bastilla on Korriban
Content Mods (Kashyyk Shadowlands, etc.)

KOTOR2:

Restored Content Mod
M4-78 Enhancement Project

Those are the essentials, as far as I'm concerned.

Macheezmo

Ziguratt is the best surprise I had this sale. I've never even heard of this game before, bought based on GAF comments and I'm having a blast. Nice little game.

It looks pretty great. I kinda wish I had grabbed it, but I'm trying not to use too much of my budget on games I don't know much about

What's the deal of the Steam region lock thing? If I buy a Steam key on Ebay, does that mean it may not work and/'or I can be banned?

How is Democracy 3?

I haven't played Democracy 3, but I have played the demo of 2 which is here.

Assuming that this is the question of the series, it's essentially a game where you have to properly manage resources (taxes, social laws, trade deals, etc.) to try and capitalize as much as possible on voting demographics. Despite the game all taking place on a simplistic UI, it can get pretty intense at times. It really puts you in a politicians shoes. Do you do the right thing or try to win votes? Even if you go for the latter route is it worth it if you end up losing votes from a different demographic?

Vibranium

Banned
Had a great Christmas, lots of food and great gifts (not games though, I pay for my own stuff mostly).

I was really happy that I caught Bully Scholarship Edition for 80% off yesterday, awesome game and it's still fun on PC (with a controller). Only things that bugs me is the clock can sometimes get in the way of missions, I wonder how Rockstar will handle that with the impending sequel.

Haunted

Ziggurat is the best surprise I had this sale. I've never even heard of this game before, bought based on GAF comments and I'm having a blast. Nice little game.
gimme-five.gif

I can already see that it won't have the longevity of a BoI: Rebirth, but the foundation laid out is solid.

JustLynx

Leftover

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JustLynx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ballpoint Universe -- MB-85CC2A58FAB6E0A5 - Taken by rrvv. 1 entrants total.

t1419578354z1.png

big youth

will they lose their value/expire? should I sell them now? dont know anything about the crafting system

I miss the holiday steam sale from 5-6 years ago when participating gave you free dlc and games and such. it was simpler and better explained.

PBalfredo

How much detail does Hearts of Iron III require from the player? Can I implement an overall strategy without worrying that I'm going to lose the war because I didn't micromanage my tank formation in the Baltic?

Miker

I miss the holiday steam sale from 5-6 years ago when participating gave you free dlc and games and such. it was simpler and better explained.

I also miss the metagames during sales, but to say that it was simpler and better explained, eh, not so much. The coal market was the height of Valve's weird-ass experiments, and it was a relatively complex system that drew criticism because you needed to buy certain games w/ special holiday achievements to earn coal. Then in the final days of the sale, they ran out of third-party gifts and crafting coal would only result in Valve games, which left a lot users high and dry and /angry/.

I can see why they go with the vote = card system. It ends up being easier for Valve and for the user base. It's been that way for a few years so that, honestly, by now only Steam vets really know what newer users missed out on back in the day.

will they lose their value/expire? should I sell them now? dont know anything about the crafting system

Probably sell the holiday trading cards if you're not interested in the badge. Holiday cards expire, regular ones don't.

Game:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-C3C77A1B50192656 - Taken by freshVeggie

dude, to be honest, just give them to me. it'll make your life simpler

Card Boy

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIN266Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy fuck!

$4.96

1. Golden Axe
  2. Altered Beast
  3. Comix Zone
  4. Ecco the Dolphin
  5. Gain Ground
  6. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  7. VectorMan
  8. Crack Down
  9. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  10. Space Harrier II
  11. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  12. Bonanza Bros.
  13. Columns
  14. Ecco Jr.
  15. Eternal Champions
  16. Fatal Labyrinth
  17. Galaxy Force II
  18. Kid Chameleon
  19. Ristar
  20. Super Thunder Blade
  21. Alien Storm
  22. Bio-Hazard Battle
  23. Columns III
  24. Sword of Vermilion
  25. Virtua Fighter 2
  26. Ecco: The Tides of Time
  27. Decap Attack
  28. Flicky
  29. ESWAT: City Under Siege
  30. Golden Axe II.
  31. Alien Soldier
  32. Gunstar Heroes
  33. Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
  34. Light Crusader
  35. Shining Force
  36. Shining Force II
  37. Shining in the Darkness
  38. Streets of Rage
  39. Streets of Rage 2
  40. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  41. Sonic 3D Blast
  42. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  43. Sonic Spinball
  44. Sonic the Hedgehog
  45. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  46. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  47. ToeJam & Earl
  48. ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

Kevin

Is Gauntlet worth $7.50? Been on the fence all day. Loved the old Gauntlet games but this one doesn't look like it's anything like the old ones.

BasilZero

Holy fuck!

$4.96

1. Golden Axe
  2. Altered Beast
  3. Comix Zone
  4. Ecco the Dolphin
  5. Gain Ground
  7. VectorMan
  8. Crack Down
  10. Space Harrier II
  12. Bonanza Bros.
  13. Columns
  14. Ecco Jr.
  15. Eternal Champions
  16. Fatal Labyrinth
  17. Galaxy Force II
  18. Kid Chameleon
  19. Ristar
  20. Super Thunder Blade
  21. Alien Storm
  22. Bio-Hazard Battle
  23. Columns III
  24. Sword of Vermilion
  25. Virtua Fighter 2
  27. Decap Attack
  28. Flicky
  30. Golden Axe II.
  31. Alien Soldier
  32. Gunstar Heroes
  34. Light Crusader
  35. Shining Force
  36. Shining Force II
  38. Streets of Rage
  39. Streets of Rage 2
  41. Sonic 3D Blast
  43. Sonic Spinball
  44. Sonic the Hedgehog
  45. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  46. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  47. ToeJam & Earl

I was hoping Humble or Steam will have a similar sale to their own digital front versions :(.

Amazon y u no use Paypal T.T

neotokyo360

Holy fuck!

$4.96

1. Golden Axe
  2. Altered Beast
  3. Comix Zone
  4. Ecco the Dolphin
  5. Gain Ground
  7. VectorMan
  8. Crack Down
  10. Space Harrier II
  12. Bonanza Bros.
  13. Columns
  14. Ecco Jr.
  15. Eternal Champions
  16. Fatal Labyrinth
  17. Galaxy Force II
  18. Kid Chameleon
  19. Ristar
  20. Super Thunder Blade
  21. Alien Storm
  22. Bio-Hazard Battle
  23. Columns III
  24. Sword of Vermilion
  25. Virtua Fighter 2
  27. Decap Attack
  28. Flicky
  30. Golden Axe II.
  31. Alien Soldier
  32. Gunstar Heroes
  34. Light Crusader
  35. Shining Force
  36. Shining Force II
  38. Streets of Rage
  39. Streets of Rage 2
  41. Sonic 3D Blast
  43. Sonic Spinball
  44. Sonic the Hedgehog
  45. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  46. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  47. ToeJam & Earl

I am cry.
Amazon change policy Digital Download Code
Online Code: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address.

WTF.

aku:jiki

I have no vested interest in Halo (never played any) but love dual stick shooters.
I'm the same and I thought it was really dull. I wanted to like it because it controls well and looks nice, but the level and encounter design is just straight-up dull and boring. Too few enemies, too uninteresting attack patterns, boring guns, etc.

But at the price there's really no reason not to check it out for yourself. It's not outright terrible and some people do like it.

Shallow. There's a loadout screen before missions to select guns, grenade type and the power-up, that's it.
And those things are remnants of microtransactions from the phone version too, so you have to buy them with pretend-money you earn in the game. Whatever you buy goes away after the level you bought it for. It sucks.

Still have not bought anything from this sale - really boring, nothing of interest at all.

Yeah, the only thing I've bought so far is the Mark of the Ninja DLC. Everything else of note I either already have, or the discount isn't enticing enough. The lack of a strong meta game doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom