• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIN266Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy fuck!

$4.96

1. Golden Axe
  2. Altered Beast
  3. Comix Zone
  4. Ecco the Dolphin
  5. Gain Ground
  6. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  7. VectorMan
  8. Crack Down
  9. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  10. Space Harrier II
  11. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  12. Bonanza Bros.
  13. Columns
  14. Ecco Jr.
  15. Eternal Champions
  16. Fatal Labyrinth
  17. Galaxy Force II
  18. Kid Chameleon
  19. Ristar
  20. Super Thunder Blade
  21. Alien Storm
  22. Bio-Hazard Battle
  23. Columns III
  24. Sword of Vermilion
  25. Virtua Fighter 2
  26. Ecco: The Tides of Time
  27. Decap Attack
  28. Flicky
  29. ESWAT: City Under Siege
  30. Golden Axe II.
  31. Alien Soldier
  32. Gunstar Heroes
  33. Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
  34. Light Crusader
  35. Shining Force
  36. Shining Force II
  37. Shining in the Darkness
  38. Streets of Rage
  39. Streets of Rage 2
  40. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  41. Sonic 3D Blast
  42. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  43. Sonic Spinball
  44. Sonic the Hedgehog
  45. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  46. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  47. ToeJam & Earl
  48. ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

Why not find roms of these games and use an emulator to play them? What are the advantages of buying this bundle?

Danj

I just want to say, the Football Manager 2015 deal on Steam is SUPER WEAKSAUCE. Even Amazon UK are undercutting it.

Also, Planetary Annihilation, yay or nay? It's finally down to a price where I'd buy it, should I?

autoduelist

I think I played an hour or two of both games. Bosses were cool. The game engine and lighting were okay. I'd recommend them if your into that genre. Crimsonland is good too but more expensive.

I'm a huge fan of Crimsonland. Just want to make sure I grab any excellent dual stick shooters on deep sale, sounds like I might be able to skip Halo. I did pick up Nation Red and I remember hearing good things about that, so perhaps that'll tide me over.

will they lose their value/expire? should I sell them now? dont know anything about the crafting system

I miss the holiday steam sale from 5-6 years ago when participating gave you free dlc and games and such. it was simpler and better explained.

I researched the whole 'card' thing last night, because it was driving me crazy not really knowing what the heck was going on.

From what I can tell:

Many games have cards, and will drop randomly while you're playing the game. Each game has a set of cards (though the exact number per game varies from 5 to 15) but you'll only get 1/2 of total number of cards in drops (so 3 to 8 I guess?). You need to buy/trade for the rest.

You need to complete the set to get a badge, and then you need to do that 5 times per game for all 5 badges (plus 'foils' is a 6th unique badge, i think?). So if the game has 10 cards, you need 5 sets of 10. You gain experience for doing this, that gives you steam levels, which gives you perks (bigger friends list, more card drops, etc).

Translation: I sell all my cards for 8 to 15 cents (or whatever the going rate is) and will never think about this meta game again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIN266Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy fuck!

$4.96

1. Golden Axe
  2. Altered Beast
  3. Comix Zone
  4. Ecco the Dolphin
  5. Gain Ground
  6. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  7. VectorMan
  8. Crack Down
  9. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  10. Space Harrier II
  11. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  12. Bonanza Bros.
  13. Columns
  14. Ecco Jr.
  15. Eternal Champions
  16. Fatal Labyrinth
  17. Galaxy Force II
  18. Kid Chameleon
  19. Ristar
  20. Super Thunder Blade
  21. Alien Storm
  22. Bio-Hazard Battle
  23. Columns III
  24. Sword of Vermilion
  25. Virtua Fighter 2
  26. Ecco: The Tides of Time
  27. Decap Attack
  28. Flicky
  29. ESWAT: City Under Siege
  30. Golden Axe II.
  31. Alien Soldier
  32. Gunstar Heroes
  33. Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
  34. Light Crusader
  35. Shining Force
  36. Shining Force II
  37. Shining in the Darkness
  38. Streets of Rage
  39. Streets of Rage 2
  40. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  41. Sonic 3D Blast
  42. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  43. Sonic Spinball
  44. Sonic the Hedgehog
  45. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  46. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  47. ToeJam & Earl
  48. ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

ugh, i had this ready to buy, went away for a minute... and i missed it. crap

CMO

Neo Member
How much detail does Hearts of Iron III require from the player? Can I implement an overall strategy without worrying that I'm going to lose the war because I didn't micromanage my tank formation in the Baltic?
HoI III has quite a good system where you can let the AI take care of micromanaging the parts of the game you don't like. So if you want, you can set an overall goal, "take Riga", and let the AI figure out what kind if army is needed for it.

Had these sitting around.
ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Broken Sword: Director's Cut -- MB-DDB13C6F371225F8 - Taken by M.D
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror -- MB-A195B074BCE38683 - Taken by Gaz Pwnage

Why not find roms of these games and use an emulator to play them? What are the advantages of buying this bundle?

naked-gun-facepalm6rjel.gif

Does anybody have an opinion as to how much somebody who isn't a hardcore South Park fan is likely to get out of The Stick of Truth? I don't dislike the series and sometimes I find something that I really enjoy, but I can go for years without seeing an episode without feeling that I'm missing out on something.

Does anybody have an opinion as to how much somebody who isn't a hardcore South Park fan is likely to get out of The Stick of Truth? I don't dislike the series and sometimes I find something that I really enjoy, but I can go for years without seeing an episode without feeling that I'm missing out on something.

I think you might actually enjoy it more then the hardcore fans, since it's like a best of-episode, with many reused (although really good) jokes. The game itself is a pretty linear thing, with few interesting side quests, but the battle system is actually quite good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Does anybody have any good recommendations for a Starcraft like game for sale? Steam or otherwise? I don't want any more 4x games, but I'd really like a Dawn of War/Warcraft/Starcraft type RTS with base building and unit progression.

Kagemusha

I think I missed the last 6 seasons and loved the game. It feels like a show and is always familiar. The humor is there at all times. It's new plot but with old locations. The gameplay is easy and if you know how to exploit your abilities you can break the combat. It's well done and and probably worth it. You could search the game tag Comedy for comparison but I doubt you would find an RPG with as much humor as this. TP did a great job on voices and he deserved his best actor award.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
WTF, did that offer last a few minutes or something? Not that I could take advantage of it because:
I am cry.
Amazon change policy Digital Download Code
Online Code: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address.

WTF.
of this shit. Grrr. I was told earlier that you need a US billing address for your credit card too so using a fake one wouldn't work...? (nevermind that was Gamestop, I think it's time to go to bed...)

KarmaCow

WTF, did that offer last a few minutes or something? Not that I could take advantage of it because:

of this shit. Grrr. I was told earlier that you need a US billing address for your credit card too so using a fake one wouldn't work...?

Oh is that a new change or something? I'm in Canada and I bought it by just fine by changing the address to one in America.

I think you might actually enjoy it more then the hardcore fans, since it's like a best of-episode, with many reused (although really good) jokes. The game itself is a pretty linear thing, with few interesting side quests, but the battle system is actually quite good.

I think I missed the last 6 seasons and loved the game. It feels like a show and is always familiar. The humor is there at all times. It's new plot but with old locations. The gameplay is easy and if you know how to exploit your abilities you can break the combat. It's well done and and probably worth it. You could search the game tag Comedy for comparison but I doubt you would find an RPG with as much humor as this. TP did a great job on voices and he deserved his best actor award.

Thanks both. Looks like I'll be picking this up very soon.

If I get a friend to gift me South Park from the US, will I still get a non-violence version (my country has the censored one)
The PC version isn't censored as far as I know. If it was, and you were gifted an uncensored American copy, you would get the uncensored version. Where are you based?

Does anybody have any good recommendations for a Starcraft like game for sale? Steam or otherwise? I don't want any more 4x games, but I'd really like a Dawn of War/Warcraft/Starcraft type RTS with base building and unit progression.

Umm.. I'd recommend Dawn of War II (The first two games have excellent single player campaigns, but the third game Retribution is the only one worthwhile for multiplayer) and Company of Heroes but the base building there is minimal to nonexistant - both games focus mostly on teching, unit building/preservation and mostly on engagements. Both have very fun multiplayer, Dawn of War II Retribution having recently been revitalized greatly by the Elite Mod, which adds a whole new faction (Grey Knights), several units, shakes up the gameplay and fixes a thousand bugs or so.

These games have pretty much changed my whole appreciation of the RTS genre, I really can't stand games with supid base building and base micro.. You may want to try them out.

Otherwise, you can't really go wrong with C&C 3 Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath, it was stupid good fun for me.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Supreme Commander, Dawn of War, planetary annihilation,

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/RTS/#p=0&tab=Discounts

Thanks. I haven't played Planetary yet, but I have those other two. Planetary is getting raked over the coals in the reviews, but I know Steam reviewers are about as helpful as YouTube commentators. What's the deal with it?

Umm.. I'd recommend Dawn of War II (The first two games have excellent single player campaigns, but the third game Retribution is the only one worthwhile for multiplayer) and Company of Heroes but the base building there is minimal to nonexistant - both games focus mostly on teching, unit building/preservation and mostly on engagements. Both have very fun multiplayer, Dawn of War II Retribution having recently been revitalized greatly by the Elite Mod, which adds a whole new faction (Grey Knights), several units, shakes up the gameplay and fixes a thousand bugs or so.

These games have pretty much changed my whole appreciation of the RTS genre, I really can't stand games with supid base building and base micro.. You may want to try them out.

Otherwise, you can't really go wrong with C&C 3 Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath, it was stupid good fun for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I prefer the "stupid" base building and micromanaging to the DoWII combat only type RTS. It was a great game, but I much preferred Dawn of War Uno and its expansions.

Card Boy

Banned
A just as good bundle.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IR1SR0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$4.99
  1. Command & Conquer
  2. Command & Conquer The Covert Operations
  3. Command & Conquer Red Alert
  4. Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike
  5. Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath
  6. Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun
  7. Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm
  8. Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
  9. Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
  10. Command & Conquer Renegade
  11. Command & Conquer Generals
  12. Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
  13. Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
  14. Command & Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath
  15. Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
  16. Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
  17. Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

Also get OpenRA for remasters of the old C&C games with online and Dune 2000.
(doesn't include the single player campaigns)

There is also a fan remake of C&C Renegade.

Origin of course.

Thanks. I haven't played Planetary yet, but I have those other two. Planetary is getting raked over the coals in the reviews, but I know Steam reviewers are about as helpful as YouTube commentators. What's the deal with it?

Bugs galore. You may as well go back and replay Supreme Commander.

Now it's Codies turn to continue the trend of having lower discounts on individual DLC (50%) than the repackaged edition (75%). Disappointing. I wanted Spa and Bathurst DLC, but i'm not paying £3 each for them.

Kagemusha

Thanks for the suggestions, but I prefer the "stupid" base building and micromanaging to the DoWII combat only type RTS. It was a great game, but I much preferred Dawn of War Uno and its expansions.
Actually I only played the Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader games and I personally recommend those. Building defenses for your base and putting archers in towers is so much fun. Haven't played the newest one. I haven't installed or played Dawn of War or Planetary yet. I think the poor reviews were with balance issues, bugs, multiplayer community, and missing features from the Kickstarter, but others enjoyed building huge armies and swarming. Sounds like the doomsday device was a broken mechanic.

abracadaver

I think you should give planetary a chance. It's -80% after all. They made the mistake of releasing the game too early when it still had a lot of bugs and missing features. Thats whats sticking in the reviews now for the rest of its life. The game had multiple updates since its release where they fixed bugs and added new stuff. I've only played 3 matches so far (on a single planet) but from what I've played it worked and reminded me a lot of total annihilation.

Also the command & conquer games on steam are good as well (besides c&c 4) but they have been cheaper before so better wait until they drop a bit more in price.

There sadly aren't a lot of base building RTS games anymore nowadays

Has Shadow of Mordor been on the flash or daily deal yet? They have it at £22.49 until Jan 2 but I can get the DVD slightly cheaper. Ebay codes even cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom