• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey guys did Civ in SPAAAAAAAAAAACE already go on sale? Since am waiting for that the most now I think.

Everything else that I had wanted I pretty much have

First day. It may appear again as a Flash Sale/Community's Choice item, though, and I'd say it's a likely candidate to fill an encore day slot.

Is Uplay on PC that bad? I'm thinking about grabbing the Far Cry franchise pack on Steam, but I'd held off on Ubisoft stuff since I haven't heard great things about Uplay.

Naissancee, Ether One, or Mind: Path to Thalamus?

Thoughts on these seemingly similar games? Length, puzzles, overall quality?
I have played through Naissancee and it took me maybe 4hrs to finish but it was one of the most chillaxing puzzle game. If you are looking for a puzzler who's difficulty is more than portal then this one isn't it, but I liked it.

Does it need a high spec machine? I've got an aging gtx560 with a dual core CPU. I can play most games fine at 1680x1050. Wondering if it's worth buying now or waiting till I have a decent PC?

The game is very CPU intensive. I'm not sure a dual core would cut it. I would recommend waiting until you can experience the game on high/ultra @ 60.

Aaron D.

Is Uplay on PC that bad? I'm thinking about grabbing the Far Cry franchise pack on Steam, but I'd held off on Ubisoft stuff since I haven't heard great things about Uplay.

It's an extra layer of nuisance, but beyond that it generally works just fine.

Don't let its presence hold you back if you've got a genuine interest in the games themselves.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's an extra layer of nuisance, but beyond that it generally works just fine.

Don't let its presence hold you back if you've got a genuine interest in the games themselves.

I'd recommend manually backing up saves. I lost my Black Flag saves no less than four times, and that was with cloud saves disabled.

Volotaire

NFS: Undercover is a load of bullshit.

I hate it.

This game, when it came out, disappointed me greatly. I was expecting the next NFS Most Wanted after the poor ProStreet that came out, and how ProStreet was more about rally races. All the media and hype of the game, I got sucked in. This game is awful.

overburning

Neo Member

It's just annoying more than anything, I would suggest turning off the cloud saving though, I've lost saves due to that.

Firebrand

Hey guys did Civ in SPAAAAAAAAAAACE already go on sale? Since am waiting for that the most now I think.

Everything else that I had wanted I pretty much have
The Mac version is 60 BRRRRRRL on Nuuvem, Steamplay and region-free I believe. It's been cheaper this sale I think, somewhere, but still.

Volotaire

Is this in the sense of the difficulty of the game or just the overall combat/feel?

The combat, button mappings and tactical slow iterative learning gameplay. Although, there are differences such as not as an interconnected world, the way it approaches story, etc. I can't say too much since I haven't played Lords of the fallen.

EDIT: Although combat is different, people say it's more fluid, etc.

Isomac

Lords of the Fallen prepare to crash edition. What I have managed to play I would say Souls games are still a lot better. Buy only if you feel lucky that it will run on your PC.

Is Dominions any good?

I got Dominions 3 in the auction 10 days ago and I'm already >30 hours in. I got a 970 for xmas but I'm still playing it!
It's kind of a Total War combined with the incredible number of systems (and lack of presentation) of a Nethack/Dwarf Fortress and a Pokemon-like menagerie of units. There are some interesting multi-perspective Let's Plays out there.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
One thing about Lords of fallen that no one mentions when they compare it to dark souls is that it's much much shorter what a game length of about 10 hours only.

I got Dominions 3 in the auction 10 days ago and I'm already >30 hours in. I got a 970 for xmas but I'm still playing it!
It's kind of a Total War combined with the incredible number of systems (and lack of presentation) of a Nethack/Dwarf Fortress and a Pokemon-like menagerie of units. There are some interesting multi-perspective Let's Plays out there.

This sounds very interesting!

Sajjaja

While using a VPN at all is technically against the rules, in practice Valve hasn't taken any action against those who use one to just activate a region-locked key or unlock a game early -- it's using one to aid in cross-region purchasing that may very well land you in hot water, as in doing so you're playing silly buggers with Valve's 30% cut (it doesn't see a cent from retail key activations, and obviously unlocking a game early harms nobody). You'll find no shortage of people here who've used a VPN for the former two reasons, myself included, and in fact VPNs are even necessary for game collectors as some region-specific games are exclusive to retail and tied to an activation-restricted sub (a fact I most recently encountered with the Korean version of Football Manager 2012). Also, Valve stopped outright banning accounts almost three years ago now in favour of a restriction-based system, so even if you broke even rule in the book, at worst you'd be prevented from using Steam Community features and adding to your library -- you would not lose access to your pre-existing library. Instead of this:

getimage.php

You'd see something like this:

support.png
So what if you get gifted a game in Steam from a region locked area (I.e Philippines). Can you activate it via a VPN with no worries?

Impulse purchased Democracy 3 because I don't know I like simulation ish games I guess.

About to pull the trigger on South Park as well. hnggh

Hupsel

Glad I bought Legends of Grimrock 2! Such a good game. Played 5 hours straight yesterday. Better than the original in every possible way *and yes, better than Might & Magic X sorry Durante
crazy.gif
)

Volotaire

Oh nice. I'll wait for the last 2 days and then I'll buy it.

Skyrim Legendary edition (All DLC included) is on GMG at a lower price (in £ at least at £6.79) than it was on Steam earlier this week.. £5.44 with code WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE. Only lower place was at £5 on uPlay (I'm guessing no Steam code on uPlay).

vall03

What are the chances for Tales of Maj'Eyal to get a bigger discount? I know there's that wait for Daily deals but I'm really tempted right now. That plus Grimrock 1. Have some funds from selling trading cards so might as well spend them.

Glad I bought Legends of Grimrock 2! Such a good game. Played 5 hours straight yesterday. Better than the original in every possible way *and yes, better than Might & Magic X sorry Durante
crazy.gif
)

That was so tempting. I just have too many games to get around to to justify the $17 or so. I'll have to look at it next time around.

bathsalts

Already gotten my moneys worth from Wreckfest, nothing but big stupid grins on my face all morning.

crazy.gif
)

It really is one of the best iterative sequels I've ever seen, was taken aback by how much improvement they made to an already solid game.

What are the chances for Tales of Maj'Eyal to get a bigger discount? I know there's that wait for Daily deals but I'm really tempted right now. That plus Grimrock 1. Have some funds from selling trading cards so might as well spend them.

Save your money for Grimrock. I have an extra copy of Tales of Maj'Eyal from a bundle somewhere, I'll pm it to you when I find it.

Shakka

Any opinions on Train Fever?

I used to love playing with model trains as a kid, especially during Christmas, so I'm somewhat in the mood for a game like this. I don't know if it's any good though.

Nete

is the 2.49 base game enough or is there any dlc necessary?

The three main DLC are usually recommended: For the Motherland, Semper Fi and Their Finest Hour. All the other DLC are just skins/music/crap.

Be warned all the command structure and chain of command is a mess for newcommers. It scares out a lot of people actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom