• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
how is banished?

It's a fun little survival town builder. I find it weirdly relaxing to play at times and can be a bit of a challenge initially. If you've ever played Age of Empires, the game is essentially the non combat side of the game where you find and collect resources to build a town for your people to reproduce and survive.

If you like city building games I think you'll like it.

There's a pretty small but decent mod scene starting to spring up around it too which can expand the types of jobs you can assign people.

also I like that it was made from scratch by one guy. It's impressive.

KiDdYoNe

Traditional "where's my Transistor" reply.

Great day actually. Gonna sell CSGO keys and buy Postal, Gods Will Be Watching, Turbo Dismount, Thief and maybe Company of Heroes 2 with Mordor.

Great deal on Resident Evil franchise but i already have 4th :\

BTW, are those DLC's for RE6 are worth it?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Great day actually. Gonna sell CSGO keys and buy Postal, Gods Will Be Watching, Turbo Dismount, Thief and maybe Company of Heroes 2 with Mordor.

Great deal on Resident Evil franchise but i already have 4th :

Unless it's a whole new campaign, probably not. Love the game though.

Martian

Get banished if you havent alreadypeople. Hell if youve already have it, purchase it for someone else.

With mod support it fixes the only "problem", namely the fact that its a pretty hard game.

Get it now!

Get banished if you havent alreadypeople. Hell if youve already have it, purchase it for someone else.

With mod support it fixes the only "problem", namely the fact that its a pretty hard game.

Get it now!

Sound fun, but looks pretty dull. The interface and the graphics hardly draws ones attention.

dosh

It's nothing like the original but by no means is it terrible. It's a decent stealth/action game.
I didn't play it but it looks a bit like Dishonored: relatively straightforward level design, small hubs, rather permissive stealth gameplay... I'm curious: is this impression totally wrong?

Brick

Get it now!

Just bought it. I probably won't get to playing it until I finish Shadowrun: Dragonfall, but I've heard so many good thing about Banished that I can sit on it for a bit.

Sajjaja

Great deal on Resident Evil franchise but i already have 4th :\

If you plan on playing Multi or Mercs, get them.

Bought Risen 3 even though I haven't really played through Risen 2 and have had trouble getting into it two or three times. The first Risen, despite its rough edges, is simply one of my favourite openworld rpgs. It was such a beautiful and rewarding world to explore.

I didn't play it but it looks a bit like Dishonored: relatively straightforward level design, small hubs, rather permissive stealth gameplay... I'm curious: is this impression totally wrong?

It never reaches the heights of Dishonored. The levels are more linear and don't allow for much freedom.

Lain

I saw 82% off CS:GO and for a second got excited thinking they went back on their stance of only going 50% off on CS:GO nowadays, though my excitement died down as soon as I noticed it was only 50% off in reality and the 82% was a price mistake that had been already fixed.

Danj

Don't think so. There's a steam warning on the store page about tages 3 machine activation.

Nope, but it apparently got uPlay added on top of it. Double the fun.

It also has an old version of UPlay that won't work, you would have to download and install uPlay yourself.

Well okay then! Looks like I'm giving that a miss again this sale.

And I see Kerbal Space Program has attracted its perennial 40% discount - now even less cheap than before thanks to the raised retail price!

Everyone vote for Super Time Force Ultra. Or STFU.

Violet_0

Banned
Brothers is 90%, go buy it people. As a short narrative experience it's very much worth the low, low price

I have a question about Banished - how long does it roughly take to finish one game ,if there's even an end goal? (or at least until you run out of new stuff)

Thief is more restrictive and linear than Dishonored due to its level design and context sensitive controls. Dishonored is such a satisfying game to play, you have all of these physical and supernatural traversal abilities that makes exploring each level fun. Thief is so much more limited in comparison, you can only do what it wants where it lets you.

does resident evil 6 is worth it at that -75 % discount price? I don't know if the game is good enough, but want to play a co op game with my brother this days,

saw gauntlet and yesterday at night it said the discount will be for 12 more hours and decided to wait tuntil this morning, and the discount went down :( bad luck

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Awesome, even Capcpom recognizes the superiority of RE4, RE4=$9.99, RE5=$6.79.

All three on my wishlist, but I'm a patient man (with a 250+ games on the backlog, lol)

Sajjaja

does resident evil 6 is worth it at that -75 % discount price? I don't know if the game is good enough, but want to play a co op game with my brother this days,

saw gauntlet and yesterday at night it said the discount will be for 12 more hours and decided to wait tuntil this morning, and the discount went down :( bad luck

RE6 is great coop! It's an action game though, not a horror game. But you'll have lots of fun.

MrPanic

Pff, this day went from almost perfect to a waste. Can't believe they teased CS:GO in my shopping cart, just to raise the price when I press buy right outside my steam wallet budget. Time for me to hold a unnecessary grudge against Valve. >:|

On the bright side I still got some money left to last me through this sale, though I have little hope that's a positive thing.

So does the PC version have splitscreen for local coop?

it does, but just the same as RE5, with black bars filling the screen

kx8C4S6l.png

Just started Far Cry 3.

Good lord, this uPlay shit is ridiculous, why am I forced to download this and register to play this game, I hate crap like this. -.-

Same goes for EAs useless service.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what if you get gifted a game in Steam from a region locked area (I.e Philippines). Can you activate it via a VPN with no worries?

I'd advise against that. Using a VPN to activate gifts technically falls under the umbrella of using one to skirt regional restrictions on the Steam Store itself.

pahamrick

This got me thinking... do any games have co-op where each view is on a separate monitor but running on the same PC? I could use something like that.

You can run Borderlands 2 like that. Requires a certain program (Sandboxie, I think.). My roommate and I ran through a good bit of the game right after launch like that, him using my PC monitor and me using my TV.

autoduelist

How's FTL? Read a lot of overwhelming positive reviews but some mentioned it's purely a luck based game?

It's a board game, more or less. In a very good way. With some action.

I love it.

Well, first of all, I'd never describe it as a 'board game'.

It's sort of a strategic roguelike -- but much closer to a traditional roguelike than many games that get called that nowadays (like, say, BoI).

You start the game in a spaceship of your choosing, manned by a couple aliens of a race of your choosing. Each game is made up of a set number of levels, and each level is a galaxy full of places to explore (plus a way to exit to the next level). There are fuel and time concerns, so how much you explore per level is up to you -- you might find great technology exploring, or you could always end up in a battle and dying.

During the course of your explorations you'll find great ways to advance the tech on your ship, new weapons, better shields, and possibly new crew members. There are lots of decisions to be made here, who to attack, what to do in certain moral situations, merchants, helping others, etc, all with risks/rewards.

Now, what you're also doing is properly manning your ship. Your crew members give bonuses to whatever they're doing, and level up as they get good at stuff. So for example, you'll want a guy in your shield room for shield bonuses, but also need a commander, an engineer, a weapons expert, medics, and more... not to mention, you can get breeched by pirates so you need a defense force. You probably won't have enough crew for that, so part of the game is managing them, having them run from medical, to, say, the shield room if you're under attack.

Power is also a concern -- you need an engine that provides enough power to your shields and weapons, and in some cases you'll decide to take power from one room so you can better power another room (especially important if you're damaged and not at full power). You can also use this as a weapon -- if you're breached by air breathers, you can always lock off a section of your ship and turn off the air to it.

Ultimately, it's a really cool space ship sim where you go on an adventure through various galaxies... ultimately in search of the end game. Many times you'll just end up floating dead in space, but you'll eventually learn to win.

It is NOT luck based -- I mean, sure, there is luck in what powerups you find in a given run, and in what order, but that's true of any roguelike. However, the skill is in making due with whatever you find and still surviving.

Highly recommended, imo one of the best games in years.

dosh

It never reaches the heights of Dishonored. The levels are more linear and don't allow for much freedom.

Thief is more restrictive and linear than Dishonored due to its level design and context sensitive controls. Dishonored is such a satisfying game to play, you have all of these physical and supernatural traversal abilities that makes exploring each level fun. Thief is so much more limited in comparison, you can only do what it wants where it lets you.

Ok then, that gives a fair idea of what the game must feel like. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write your impressions.

Skirn

I'm itching for a WWII game and noticed that Company of Heroes 2 is on sale. How's the campaign? Worth the 8,74€ for single player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom