• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I think I'm one of the few people here to hold the opinion, but I really loved Gods Will Be Watching. It's a bizarre combination of a turn-based tactical and adventure gameplay, kinda. It's not easy to define. I thought it was great.

Play on an easy difficulty, though.

Well, first of all, I'd never describe it as a 'board game'.

I would say that there are quite a lot of similarities. There are of couse action and some RPG mechanics, but overall structure, event system and goal is just a board game: You move your piece (the ship) forward on the playing field, draw a card out of a deck with a a fixed amount of possible scenarios on each spot to see what happens, and try towards the goal.

Martian

Brothers is 90%, go buy it people. As a short narrative experience it's very much worth the low, low price

I have a question about Banished - how long does it roughly take to finish one game ,if there's even an end goal? (or at least until you run out of new stuff)

There isnt really an endgame and you kind of have to make your own goals.
The buildings are according to some people a bit limited (in number) but are fine in my book.
To reach 300 population (= midgame number) takes around 3-4 hours, depending on your game speed (1x/2x/5x/10x). But to reach that number of 300 and keep it stable is harder and might take a lot longer (getting people educated, fully clothed and well-fed).

YouTuber Scott Manly is King of the Castle in this dept.

He's an astronomer that not only has a great teaching voice, but also fills you in on the real-world science behind what you're doing, making the lessons sink in on an even deeper level.

Cool! I'll definitely watch at least a few of these to get me started. Thank you.

Double

I think I'm one of the few people here to hold the opinion, but I really loved Gods Will Be Watching. It's a bizarre combination of a turn-based tactical and adventure gameplay, kinda. It's not easy to define. I thought it was great.

Play on an easy difficulty, though.
I kind of want to get it, but don't think I will. I've read a lot of the impressions in the days when it came out... about how it's just a repetitive modifier of hidden variables etc.

There isnt really an endgame and you kind of have to make your own goals.
The buildings are according to some people a bit limited (in number) but are fine in my book.
To reach 300 population (= midgame number) takes around 3-4 hours, depending on your game speed (1x/2x/5x/10x). But to reach that number of 300 and keep it stable is harder and might take a lot longer (getting people educated, fully clothed and well-fed).

I had a game of 600 population that took I think like 10 hours total, but came quickly crashing down when I ran out of tools which made me quickly run out of food and fuel as 180 people couldn't produce stuff fast enough. That was frustrating.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of chronomac, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-648B023FD0DF52CF - Taken by Avinexus. 32 entrants total.

t1419629054z1.png

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up Turbo Dismount.

That was 2 hours ago, and I just quit out.

It's like a fine mixture of Pain and the crash mode from Burnout. So good.

A brothers question, say Controller required, my 360 controller is dead and I have a Xbox controller S for PC gaming, will Brothers See it?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I kind of want to get it, but don't think I will. I've read a lot of the impressions in the days when it came out... about how it's just a repetitive modifier of hidden variables etc.

Yeah, it got shit on pretty hard. I played on an easier difficulty and found that most of the complaints I was reading weren't really an issue for me. If it was hard and I had to keep restarting, I'd probably hate it as well.

Varg

Banned
Damn, hero siege caught me by surprise. Checked the video out and impulse bought, 2 hours later and im still playing. Very good. The DLC is on sale too so I might as well pick it up.

C4rter

Evil Within Season Pass is £9.99 @ Amazon.co.uk
That's the current lowest price, right?

Edit: Well bought it now, 12,50€, can't be that bad compared to the non discounted price @ Steam.

Dennis

Banned
I want to buy Civ 5: Complete Edition which is currently at -50%.

Do you guys think it could drop lower before the end of the sale?

Also, crossing fingers for Might & Magic X - Legacy to drop further.

Teggy

I didn't play it but it looks a bit like Dishonored: relatively straightforward level design, small hubs, rather permissive stealth gameplay... I'm curious: is this impression totally wrong?

It's pretty similar to Dishonored without the freedom of blink powers. Personally I liked it a lot. A good deal of the negativity comes from people who were very invested in the older Thief games. If you can come in without those preconceived notions of what it is, you may like it.

Volotaire

Has Civ 5 been on sale yet? Can't remember if I've seen it...

It was on Day 1 as a hidden deal part of the civilisation series when another game was on sale. I suppose it might come back for V itself (same discount as before - 75%.

Civ V is often on sale on other sites, look there as well. It is often much cheaper there than on Steam anyway.

There already has been a hidden sale of M&M X, will be again if any other M&M game goes on sale again.

Civ V complete is cheap here:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/se/en/pc/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v-complete-edition/ + use code WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE

BadAss2961

Quick question for Street Fighter players...

I haven't opened Steam in months. Noticed my SSFIV is gone and replaced with Ultra. Did Ultra just absorb Super Street Fighter IV and turned the Ultra content into DLC? Or did I somehow get lucky and got a free upgrade to Ultra? (I doubt it's the latter)

Sajjaja

Quick question for Street Fighter players...

I haven't opened Steam in months. Noticed my SSFIV is gone and replaced with Ultra. Did Ultra just absorb Super Street Fighter IV and turned the Ultra content into DLC? Or did I somehow get lucky and got a free upgrade to Ultra? (I doubt it's the latter)

You must still buy the Ultra upgrade.

Card Boy

Banned
Some deals i though where good.

AMAZON

Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection - 75% off @ $4.99
Dead Space 3 80% off @ $4.00
Metal Gear Rising - 75% off @ $7.49
Scribblenauts Unmasked - 75% off @ $4.99
Scribblenauts Unlimited - 75% off @ 4.99
Metro: Last Light Redux - 75% off @ $6.25
South Park: The Stick of Truth - 66% off @ 13.59
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete - 85% off @ $4.50
Grand Theft Auto Vice City - 85% off @ $1.50

NUUVEM (i rounded the prices slightly up)

Lord of the Rings: War in the North - $1.50
Metal Gear Rising - $4.65
Wolfenstein: The New Order - $15
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - $4.65
Batman 3 Pack (includes Batman Arkham City - GOTY Edition, Batman Arkham Origins & Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition) - $5.60 (no Arkham Asylum)
Dragon Age 2 - $3.70
Grand Theft Auto Complete Package - $5.60
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition - $4.20

All Steam except for the EA Origin stuff.

Mogwai

Nice. I got my hands on Brave New World from GMG+voucher. A lot cheaper than what it would've been on Steam even with 75%.

Would've got a lot more value if I had got the complete pack, but already had everything but the BNW expansion. First world problems...

Kanokare

Some deals i though where good.

AMAZON

Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection - 75% off @ $4.99
Dead Space 3 80% off @ $4.00
Metal Gear Rising - 75% off @ $7.49
Scribblenauts Unmasked - 75% off @ $4.99
Scribblenauts Unlimited - 75% off @ 4.99
Metro: Last Light Redux - 75% off @ $6.25
South Park: The Stick of Truth - 66% off @ 13.59
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete - 85% off @ $4.50
Grand Theft Auto Vice City - 85% off @ $1.50

NUUVEM (i rounded the prices slightly up)

Lord of the Rings: War in the North - $1.50
Metal Gear Rising - $4.65
Wolfenstein: The New Order - $15
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - $4.65
Batman 3 Pack (includes Batman Arkham City - GOTY Edition, Batman Arkham Origins & Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition) - $5.60 (no Arkham Asylum)
Dragon Age 2 - $3.70
Grand Theft Auto Complete Package - $5.60
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition - $4.20

All Steam except for the EA Origin stuff.

GTAIV doesn't show up as that price me ($7.99).

Ashtrax

Gutted I can't upgrade my copy of 'Gods Will Be Watching' to the CE. It's probably the only feature that I wish Steam could get more Publishers on board for.

hepburn3d

Don't. I love the game but the dlc splash screen when you start up the game really annoys me. I won a dlc in a giveaway which allowed me to play a tiny part of the game before I bought the whole thing. After putting over 200 hours into 1 I can say this one really does fine tune the good bits. The monetisation is a little annoying but I'll swallow it to play the basic game. Expensive game when you add up all the bits

Hello all. Please do this long-time GAF-pal a favor and vote for Super Time Force Ultra. It would be a heck of a boost for our crazy game.

Happy Boxing Day to my fellow Canucks, as well :)

Grief.exe

Is Anno 1404 on a franchise discount in euroland?

In America it is called Dawn of discovery and never receives a discounted price.

I would buy it from someone if it didn't carry a region lock now.

Hello all. Please do this long-time GAF-pal a favor and vote for Super Time Force Ultra. It would be a heck of a boost for our crazy game.

Happy Boxing Day to my fellow Canucks, as well :)

Already voted for it.

Below is one of my most hyped games of 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom