• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
recpojfb.png

=(

What communication issue? It's all automated now. I'm guessing he missed the deadline to submit for the sale or something.

legacyzero

Banned
Watch_Dogs for 50% ?

LOL

Also, The Long Dark is cool, but lacks true substance right now. For a survival game where you're constantly toughing the cold, there doesn't seem to be a feeling of imminent danger. It lacks depth. They really need to add something significant to complete the formula they have. Like a crazed killer stalking you, constantly. Or some kind of haunting or evil presence. It is Early Access though.

So does The Directors Cut include both Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall? Or am I just exceedingly confused?

The Director's Cut includes only Dragonfall, it's a standalone. You can pick up Shadowrun Returns for 1,49€ but Dragonfall is the superior game and probably the best starting point.

Bl@de

In the mood for a newish great cRPG with a great story and combat.

I was looking into getting Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut, or Divinity Original Sin. Or are there better options out there? I've played most of the older crpgs so please recommend something that is fairly new.

Thank you!

Get them all. Just decide what you want to play first and get that now:
1. Postapocalypse like Fallout 1/2 (Wasteland 2)
2. Cyberpunk (dragonfall)
3. Classic Fantasy (Divinity)

Every game has it's strengths and weaknesses. I would always chose Wasteland ... It's my personal Goty

Mashing

Crusader Kings II, for the amount of content in that game at $10 is a pretty good deal (it's a 2 year old game though, so you may feel differently). Oh and it has some kick ass mods LOTR is standout one.

Edit: Oh and it's $5 on nuuvem, nevermind.

Kiyo

Is it like Rogue Legacy? As in "hard as fuck"? Didn't like RL

It's a bit easier than Rogue Legacy imo. There's still a challenge but I found Rogue Legacy pretty hard until I grinded enough gold to upgrade my guys far enough. I was able to go through Shovel Knight without too many issues. I haven't gotten around to starting a new game+ on Shovel Knight though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dead Rising 3 had a lot of technical port issues right? I sort of recall that being a thing unless I am mistaken. Just curious if it's worth the $30 since I really dug DR1/2.

Talyn

So does The Directors Cut include both Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall? Or am I just exceedingly confused?
No, Shadowrun Returns is the original campaign, called Dead Man's Switch. They later released a 2nd campaign for it called Dragonfall as DLC. Later, they remastered Dragonfall, adding new content and engine improvements and released it as the standalone Director's Cut. People who owned the original Dragonfall DLC got the DC for free. The original DLC is no longer available, the DC is the definitive edition of Dragonfall. That said, I still liked Dead Man's Switch as well and for 90% off, I'd get it as well and play it first just to get used to the game mechanics. Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall are entirely separate stories though.

aku:jiki

It's a bit easier than Rogue Legacy imo. There's still a challenge but I found Rogue Legacy pretty hard until I grinded enough gold to upgrade my guys far enough. I was able to go through Shovel Knight without too many issues. I haven't gotten around to starting a new game+ on Shovel Knight though.
Yeah, that's the thing with RL, it isn't actually hard per se, it's just designed for you to die 150 times before your character is upgraded enough to actually be able to win. It's kind of a boring progression design.

Kiyo

Dead Rising 3 had a lot of technical port issues right? I sort of recall that being a thing unless I am mistaken. Just curious if it's worth the $30 since I really dug DR1/2.

If you liked 1 and 2, you'll like 3. It's not very well optimized (at least when I tried playing it when it first came out), but it's playable for me. I guess it'll depend on your rig.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Recettear; Valve typically lets developers know around a month in advance when the Holiday sale is going to start and asks devs to submit their discount tiers at that point. I suspect what happened is that SpaceDrake missed their attempts to contact him (I understand he had some personal stuff going on, so it's understandable). I further suspect that most of Valve has the holiday break off work, so they probably don't provide non-emergency support to developers during this period. My advice to SpaceDrake: if you're going through something, get a surrogate who can handle these kinds of things in the mean time. Either give your account info to your business partners or hire someone for a fixed fee of a few thousand dollars. The lost income from missing this sale is going to eclipse what it would cost to hire someone to do bare-minimum caretaking of your business while you're out of commission. Just an idea.

This is not really atypical. iTunes is the same way. They let developers know about a month in advance that they are going on vacation as <insert date here> and so no price changes or app approvals will go into effect after that date (in addition, the top sellers chart stays fixed, so there's an amazing incentive if you can get yourself on the top sellers the day before it freezes--many companies do deep discounts before christmas to get there and then return their price to normal during the christmas break to maximize from the exposure.

Not sure about Google Play.

And then the consoles don't do wide-ranging sales so I'm certain if you didn't let them know ahead of time that you wanted to participate you wouldn't get to participate.

kulapik

Oh man, Shadowrun Returns is 90%.
I would buy Nidhogg but I don't have that much friends to play it with :(
Shovel Knight is still too expensive for me.
I expected STFU to be 4.99, not 5.09 :/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Long Dark seems interesting, but not $10-20 interesting right now. Maybe next sale in the spring if they keep that $10 price and there is a bit more to the Sandbox/tweaks later.

FFXIII-2 is never gonna be a daily is it :(

It released earlier this month, so no. It'll be extremely unlikely to go on sale.

Damn I really want Dead Rising but that's still a little too high on price for me (I already played a lot of it on Xbone but never finished it.)

Once it hits that $20 I'm there. I'm betting during the next Summer Sale. Thinking about Mortal Kombat Komplete, how is the PC port?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If you liked 1 and 2, you'll like 3. It's not very well optimized (at least when I tried playing it when it first came out), but it's playable for me. I guess it'll depend on your rig.

Yea the Steam reviews are a bloody massacre, most of them are from around the PC launch where crash issues seemed to be extremely prevalent and lots of people complain about forced 30fps.

Seems the game has been patched multiple times since then, most of which target the crash issues, so hopefully that is cleared up since some of the more recent negative reviews on steam have upwards of 30 hours played despite the whining.

Guess I'll pull the trigger, i have a new gtx 970 that is dying for a game that isn't a PS360 port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom