• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
Reposting my impressions for "THE LONG DARK".

The Long Dark is cool, but lacks true substance right now. For a survival game where you're constantly toughing the cold, there doesn't seem to be a feeling of imminent danger. It lacks depth. They really need to add something significant to complete the formula they have. Like a crazed killer stalking you, constantly. Or some kind of haunting or evil presence. It is Early Access though.

Ladekabel

Might get weak for Dragonfall.

would buy Shovel Knight in a heartbeat if I wouldn't plan to buy it on my Wii U when I finished my backlog.

Hmm. This has tipped the scales towards "don't buy yet" for me. Is the game fun?

My take:

I played the first worlds, I don't feel is "easy" as the game offers a nice challange but also has a checkpoint system that other games from the 8 bit era lacked. The good thing is that you can destroy the check points making the game more challenging.

Also, the game is really well designed, even if is not Ninja Gaiden NES difficulty is still a really fun game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Reposting my impressions for "THE LONG DARK".

I don't think a "constant danger" is needed. But I also think hunting for supplies constantly isn't needed either. Maybe their story mode will help because looking at the Sandbox stuff there isn't really "enough" to do right now. If I could hunt/gather things and hold up for a few days off those supplies while only having to be on the lookout for wildlife, it'd be interesting from the Zombie Survival Sim/DayZ-clones and what you want it to do.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone have super time force if so how is it? Was waiting for the PSN release but may just jump in now. (Don't think it's a plus title is it?)

MattyG

Banned
So, I have New Vegas normal edition, and I want to get the ultimate edition, but Steam says I own it even though I don't, and it won't let me buy it. Anyone know a solution to this?

Sini

RE: Recettear; Valve typically lets developers know around a month in advance when the Holiday sale is going to start and asks devs to submit their discount tiers at that point. I suspect what happened is that SpaceDrake missed their attempts to contact him (I understand he had some personal stuff going on, so it's understandable). I further suspect that most of Valve has the holiday break off work, so they probably don't provide non-emergency support to developers during this period. My advice to SpaceDrake: if you're going through something, get a surrogate who can handle these kinds of things in the mean time. Either give your account info to your business partners or hire someone for a fixed fee of a few thousand dollars. The lost income from missing this sale is going to eclipse what it would cost to hire someone to do bare-minimum caretaking of your business while you're out of commission. Just an idea.
I know that Valve accepted discounts even on the last two days before sale.

The Long Dark looks fascinating. I'm incredibly tempted.

I bought it just hoping there's some patches soon that add a lot more to the experience. Its early access and as far as I know the dev's have stated there is going to be a ton more to the game then what is there right now.

I have a big backlog at the moment anyways so by the time I get to it hopefully there will be more content as the overall concept sounds awesome to me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Oh for f**k's sake Valve, let me buy Transistor with a good discount already, I'm waiting for this since Dec 18th goddamnit.

DukeBobby

Shovel Knight
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Shadowrun Returns
Super Time Force Ultra

Decent haul today. Also a good day for games beginning with "s".

I mean shovel knight is easier than like mega man 1 and 2 if that's what you're comparing it to. I don't think I'd normally call it easy. I wouldn't say it's especially hard either.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Stuck hospital last two days for surgery. Seriously cutting into my gaming time :) ... Also hope I'm not missing good sales!!

Deadly

Got both Shadowruns. I already have New Vegas and it's awesome but did you really have to make it count as two deals? :lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got FFXIII from SE's store since this is the last day it's on sale and it hasn't been on Steam yet.

Says my key is invalid, and it's not even showing in my order history.

From the horror stories I've heard about their support it sounds like I might be out $6.40.

Well, got it working. Still dumb. Also wat at 60GB.

Saiyan-Rox

Oh the other title missing is tropico...ah well gonna grab time force and that'll do. Man this steam sale is lackluster this year.

I picked up both Shadowrun games, and I'll buy Divinity and Wasteland 2 before the sales are over. This is going to be months of RPG goodness like the infinity engine days.

Jeremy

Abyss Odyssey seems pretty neat but I'm also eyeing STFU and Shovel Knight.

and Game Dev Tycoon.

I'll probably end up with all of them.

Sch1sm

So I managed to sleep in and miss picking up Dust,
I nearly had it then my transaction didn't go through,
has anyone seen it at the sale price anywhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom