• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakkue

I know that Valve accepted discounts even on the last two days before sale.

I hope they can still work something out with Valve, I really wanted to buy Recettear this sale.
If not, I hope it'll at least be a daily deal after the winter sale is over.

Sch1sm

How's Fallout New Vegas? Never thought that Fallout 3 was that great, is New Vegas better?

New Vegas pretty much looks and plays nearly exactly like Fallout 3. Survival is better in it, though. Story's good, and it has a bigger world overall. There's 4 different endings, so go wild if you buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GU0400K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't remember what Steam's price was, but it's more than worth it at Amazon's price.

Thanks! I pay CAD and it was 4.24 on Steam, so it seems accurate.

If you don't buy Dragonfall at that price you may be an asshole.

Also everyone vote for invisible inc to be discounted. It's basically the game of the year for 2015.

jrcbandit

New Vegas pretty much looks and plays nearly exactly like Fallout 3. Survival is better in it, though. Story's good, and it has a bigger world overall. There's 4 different endings, so go wild if you buy it.

Thanks! I pay CAD and it was 4.24 on Steam, so it seems accurate.

The story is much better in New Vegas and so are the companions. In fact, everything is better in New Vegas compared to FO3 aside from the setting, post apocalyptic DC is much more interesting than desert but the other aspects of New Vegas make it far superior.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Depends: Do you want Frank West, WHO HAS COVERED WARS YA KNOW!?: If yes, wait for Off the Record (or just get it now) it adds a few things to Dead Rising 2's area (Uranus Zone being one).

If no: Get the weaker character version (base).

I just want to kill zombies.

aku:jiki

Nah, the Warhammer game is always there. There is a missing title that is a duplicate New Vegas, and it still hasn't changed
No, I think he's right. I'm seeing double NV and no Dawn of War 2 right now.

Full list should be:
Shovel Knight
The Long Dark
Watch Dogs
Dead Rising 3
New Vegas
Dragonfall
Tropico 5
Crusader Kings II
Dawn of War 2

And they said this sale doesn't have a proper metagame!

and Game Dev Tycoon.
Don't, it's garbage. You will end up wondering how the hell you make a successful game when your next title gets 1/10 review scores, bombs and bankrupts your company even though you thought you had it figured out. There is some formula to designing a game but the game doesn't explain it to you and the explanation on the wiki is like 15 dense pages long. Fuck that game.

(This opinion is about 8 months old. I dunno if they made it actually playable by now.)

Miker

On one hand, I'm thinking of getting Super Time Force Ultra. On the other, I still have a few (read: the remaining) Capy games on Steam that I've all started, but not finished. The price is great, but I should probably wait.

Also, has Retribution not fallen below $10? I remember picking it up for $7.50 as a price mistake years ago, and I'm surprised to see that it hasn't hit price that since.

Jeremy

Don't, it's garbage. You will end up wondering how the hell you make a successful game when your next title gets 1/10 review scores, bombs and bankrupts your company even though you thought you had it figured out. There is some formula to designing a game but the game doesn't explain it to you and the explanation on the wiki is like 15 dense pages long. Fuck that game.

(This opinion is about 8 months old. I dunno if they made it actually playable by now.)

Already jumped on it, whoops. I remember a game development simulation... game having mixed reviews but when I looked, GDT sits at "overwhelmingly positive" so I'm guessing they might have changed things?

Majukun

and with shovel knight,i finished all my steam credit got with the cards..
not much of a discount,but I really wanted to try it on

Marow

I wonder how come Shovel Knight suddenly got on sale after the developers said they wouldn't have a sale during the winter holidays, yet suddenly do.

I'm still going to pick it up, but I'd like to see some clarification on this. Assuming they didn't outright lie and this was instead a last-minute decision, it makes me wonder why SpaceDrake is having trouble getting Recettear on sale - due to communication issue with Valve - as seen HERE. As I highly doubt SpaceDrake is lying, especially considering what has plagued him, either Valve or Yacht Club Games are not being upfront.

This is interesting!

How's Fallout New Vegas? Never thought that Fallout 3 was that great, is New Vegas better?

New Vegas is the better game. Obsidian made it so obviously the world, story and characters are miles ahead of Bethesda's Fallout 3. The gameplay mechanics are still the same though.

Ladekabel

I wonder how come Shovel Knight suddenly got on sale after the developers said they wouldn't have a sale during the winter holidays, yet suddenly do.

I'm still going to pick it up, but I'd like to see some clarification on this. Assuming they didn't outright lie and this was instead a last-minute decision, it makes me wonder why SpaceDrake is having trouble getting Recettear on sale - due to communication issue with Valve - as seen HERE. As I highly doubt SpaceDrake is lying, especially considering what has plagued him, either Valve or Yacht Club Games are not being upfront.

This is interesting!

I think it is a similiar to Valkyria Chronicles. It only gets discounted when it's a daily.

What's so good about it?
It's a compact, well-balanced RPG with superb writing that captures the feel of a pen and paper experience better than anything else this year. Tighter than Wasteland 2 and far smarter and better written than Divinity. Has more compelling role-playing moments per hour than anything else in 2014.

autoduelist

is fun game. my biggest grib is lack of single player

I think it should be pointed out that while there is no dedicated story-driven campaign, the game does have skirmish vs. AI, which is what most people will play, and is tons of fun by itself.

Oh, jeez, thanks for posting that follow up. I was dumbstruck that Sins of A Solar Empire Rebellion didn't have a SP... but if it's just skirmish, that's fine, as you say, that IS the single player for 4x games.

Buy Dragonfall now, it's a great game.

I've got Shadowfall Returns in my backlog... do I need to pick up this Director's cut thing? Is it a new game entirely?

eot

Banned
Got FFXIII from SE's store since this is the last day it's on sale and it hasn't been on Steam yet.

Says my key is invalid, and it's not even showing in my order history.

From the horror stories I've heard about their support it sounds like I might be out $6.40.

Well, got it working. Still dumb. Also wat at 60GB.

I want to buy that but I don't live in the US :[

While I'm here, Invisible, Inc may prove to be the best game yet from the developer that brought you Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve. It's also the smoothest early access experience I've ever had.

aku:jiki

This is interesting!
Like Stump and chubigans already pointed out, setting your sale price is completely automated and something you just log into your publisher account and fill out during the month leading up to the sale in question. The guy simply forgot to do it. The communication issue is that probably 95+% of Valve is on holiday so no one's around to manually apply the discount he wants.

Every publisher on Steam, I believe, has the right to set a different daily/flash discount in case they get picked. Shovel Knight guys probably set one assuming they'd never get a spot, I dunno?

KissVibes

Banned
I want Super Time Force and Shovel Knight but I ain't got no funds. Stupid work fucking up my direct deposit.

Also, why hasn't Ikaruga been on sale at all this sale?

okay so shadowrun dragonfall doesnt include the first shadowrun right

like i should buy shadowrun returns for 1.49 and then dragonfall on sale now and ill be covered

MrPanic

Thanks for the feedback on new vegas guys. Only got 6€ left to spend this sale so I gotta carefully concider if I wanna buy something or try to live longer through this sale.

What % will the winner of the vote get? Can't see it on mobile. Really want Audiosurf 2.

Ventara

The Long Dark looks interesting, but I think I can wait until it hits 75%, especially since it's Early Access. Other than that, nothing of note for me.

Sch1sm

Thanks for the feedback on new vegas guys. Only got 6€ left to spend this sale so I gotta carefully concider if I wanna buy something or try to live longer through this sale.

What % will the winner of the vote get? Can't see it on mobile. Really want Audiosurf 2.

Only -40%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom