• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of grabbing dawn of war 2 at 66% off, but it would be my first proper attempt at getting into an RTS (and solely for single player). Should I grab the base game first, or I am better off with ones of the standalone expansions?

Jay RaR

...I wasn't expecting a Shovel Knight discount after a GAF user told me it wasn't happening this season.

This is a hard choice for me...either buy it cheaper on PC or buy it on 3DS to play on the go with probably no hope for sales...decisions...

Also, I'm very surprised some of you people think this discount isn't worth it...after being hailed as one of the best 2D platformers released this year and its not even a year old! I haven't played it yet but still...

Talyn

I'm thinking of grabbing dawn of war 2 at 66% off, but it would be my first proper attempt at getting into an RTS (and solely for single player). Should I grab the base game first, or I am better off with ones of the standalone expansions?
I wouldn't exactly call the Dawn of War 2 series a traditional RTS. You normally only have 4 units under your control and it plays more like an action RPG than a RTS. Each unit has stats, unlocks and there's a ton of random wargear drops. I love the games but if you want a traditional RTS you should be looking at the original Dawn of War games. That said, if you prefer to stick with the DOW2 series, the base game has the longest campaign, although it felt too long to some people that tried to grind every random mission (you don't have to do that); Chaos Rising adds a corruption system that can penalize you for mistakes and Retribution is, well, the final game in the series that wraps up the storyline.

I wouldn't exactly call the Dawn of War 2 series a traditional RTS. You normally only have 4 units under your control and it plays more like an action RPG than a RTS. Each unit has stats, unlocks and there's a ton of random wargear drops. I love the games but if you want a traditional RTS you should be looking at the original Dawn of War games. That said, if you prefer to stick with the DOW2 series, the base game has the longest campaign, although it felt too long to some people that tried to grind every random mission (you don't have to do that); Chaos Rising adds a corruption system that can penalize you for mistakes and Retribution is, well, the final game in the series that wraps up the storyline.

That actually sounds more my speed than a traditional RTS, I didn't realize it was so stripped back. I think I'll pick it up, thanks.

dani_dc

Giveaway Hanako Games Edition:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dani_dc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Magical Diary -- MB-506D2527494198FE - Taken by SeZMehK. 11 entrants total.
Long Live The Queen -- MB-CC31EA5E272BB79B - Taken by Gez. 32 entrants total.

t1419724941z1.png

donny2112

Shovel Knight is easier. If you can handle classic Mega Man games you can handle Shovel Knight.

If you can handle classic Mega Man games, then you're greatly over-qualified for Shovel Knight. It's no where near as hard as classic Mega Man games. The ability to upgrade your health/abilities, infinite lives (lose money each time you die), and lots of checkpoints make it a metric ton easier to get into than Classic Mega Man!

That actually sounds more my speed than a traditional RTS, I didn't realize it was so stripped back. I think I'll pick it up, thanks.

The multi still has a bunch of units and stuff, though it's still very different than the usual RTS(it's basically like Company of Heroes if you played that, you build units but not bases, and you win by holding points on the map). The single player campaign though is like a squad based ARPG kinda, plays slower than most since it's still RTS-ish, and you give orders to attack rather than hold left button and stuff, but you have like levels, talents to take and you find randomized gear to equip and specialize your units. You play 4 out of like 7-8 units(unlock as you progress) and they each have various roles. It's definitely very fun and by far one of the best RTS campaign ever. Maybe because of nostalgia I'd still put WC3 ahead, but 2nd best otherwise.

The single player content is excellent and the game doesn't feature a breakneck pace of play or overloads you with too many units. It's a terrific entry point to the genre.

Sanic

Checked the usual sites and r/gamedeals, but as a last ditch effort can I still purchase south park anywhere for < $24?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
NoRéN;144992737 said:
That Shadowrun Dragonfall game seems cool. Worth the price if I enjoy turn based rpgs?

Yes. It's a really solid game that was my early of the year GOTY. It fixed all the issues with Shadowrun: Returns. Pretty fun cast of characters, some side quests and a story that moves right along. It's not going to set your world on fire, but it's a good RPG set in a cyberpunk world. There is like, 1 of those over the past 3 generations.

Miker

Being playing Resident Evil Revelations and, damn, I think they kind of nailed some of that old survival horror feel. I completely forgot to use the silly scanner to look for items so I found myself with no ammo for a bit, using only the knife. Until I started scanning and recovering a bunch of crap... only for me to get confident and ending up with few ammo moments later. Game runs awesomely awesome too, sometimes Capcom gets way too much flak (with reason, where is Dragon's Dogma PC, guys...) but at least in the case of this game it's just a very well done port.

Yeah, that all goes away after an hour or two :-|

WanderingWind

Shadowrun: Returns can go jump off a cliff. I would suggest skipping it for Dragonfall, and if you're curious to see its lame duck predecessor is, then giving it a shot. Playing SR first may sour you on playing what is essentially the fixed version of the same game anyway. Dragonfall is one part expansion, one part mea culpa and one part breaking away from the mobile roots of the SR.

Raxus

I am thinking of picking up Dead Rising 3, Shovel Knight, and Super Time Force Ultra.

Any steeper discounts at GMG or elsewhere before I dive in?

King_Moc

Banned
Shadowrun: Returns can go jump off a cliff. I would suggest skipping it for Dragonfall, and if you're curious to see its lame duck predecessor is, then giving it a shot. Playing SR first may sour you on playing what is essentially the fixed version of the same game anyway. Dragonfall is one part expansion, one part mea culpa and one part breaking away from the mobile roots of the SR.

So does Dragonfall actually contain the same story as Returns, plus extras, or is it a brand new standalone game?

Chris R

I wish the Shovel Knight discount was a little bit steeper.

It's in my wishlist, I'll grab it next year (Summer or Winter)

First steam sale I've purchased nothing. Was going to grab DS2 but seeing as I still need to play/beat Demons/DS1 I'll hold off for a bit.

NoRéN

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows - Mirror of Fate HD is $2.60USD at Nuuvem.
Hard to pass up all the Lord of Shadows games for around $13.
Yes. It's a really solid game that was my early of the year GOTY. It fixed all the issues with Shadowrun: Returns. Pretty fun cast of characters, some side quests and a story that moves right along. It's not going to set your world on fire, but it's a good RPG set in a cyberpunk world. There is like, 1 of those over the past 3 generations.
Sold me on the game. Bought.
Yes, also check out Underrail if you like turn-based RPGs.
Will do. Thanks!

Buburibon

Happy Holidays, and good luck everyone! :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Buburibon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shovel Knight -- MB-3E981AFF39D5839B - Taken by AsylumX. 207 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor -- MB-1E274D3F69540741 - Taken by manueldelalas. 210 entrants total.
Super Time Force Ultra -- MB-0D366351D68F6B64 - Taken by creamfarts. 138 entrants total.

t1419802466z1.png

WanderingWind

So does Dragonfall actually contain the same story as Returns, plus extras, or is it a brand new standalone game?

New story, actual characters and it's a standalone game. It builds off the first's engine and provides a much needed basic save system, a plot, characterizations, made classes important in some areas and provided something that resembled a challenge. It also opened the world up a bit, although it's not an open world game by any stretch of the imagination.

Talyn

Dragonfall is a completely different story. The original was set in Seattle, Dragonfall is set in Berlin and focuses on a team of shadowrunners that have gotten entirely too close to a conspiracy involving a supposedly dead dragon.

That feel when you grab a mildly interesting/throwaway game from ModBot in the Free to a Good Home thread then minutes later see a bunch of great giveaways with NOWINNERSDAILY rule.

Varg

Banned
Is the first one worth playing? I heard the save system was fucked up.

The first is dirt cheap and the save system was fixed a long ass time ago. I'm at the end of it myself and just bought dragonfly seeing as its on Sale there is no doubt dragonfly is superior but I wouldn't just not play the first. Especially being so cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom