• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

aScaris

So the general consensus is that my current copy of Shadow Run Returns is essentially a coaster that I shouldn't even bother playing and I should invest in the sequel instead?

Yucky feeling, I really was looking forward to getting to SR.

Shamelessly quoting myself from the steam thread 23 mins ago:

So, I just finished Shadowrun: Returns and my god.. This game was great! While the gameplay was kinda lacking and the story was split into two seperate parts, it was one of the most memorable experiences in my recent gaming memory. Characters are great and the overall atmosphere really caught me, all without voice acting, pretty animations or fancy 3D graphics. I don't know when I last said that about a game :D Just bought Shadowrun: Dragonfall and I really hope it keeps up this oldschool approach to RPGs :)

Ricker

So the general consensus is that my current copy of Shadowrun Returns is essentially a coaster that I shouldn't even bother playing and I should invest in the sequel instead?

Who said that...I enjoyed it like I said earlier and I think its like really cheap now so why not...? of course Dragonfall is better but Returns is good also.

So the general consensus is that my current copy of Shadowrun Returns is essentially a coaster that I shouldn't even bother playing and I should invest in the sequel instead?

I personally loved the base game. Sure, there are some areas where it could've been improved, and apparently not all classes were created equal (I only played through once so I can't vouch for that one), but overall it was an immensely enjoyable game. I just bought Dragonfall as well, and I'm looking forward to more SR in general. The fact that it's widely considered to be better than the base game makes me thoroughly excited, as I've already fallen in love with the supposedly inferior product.

Just a heads up for people to be careful out there. I have to reinstall windows/etc now after clicking this phish url. I should have known better but I assume it was safe considering it ended with jpg. It was from a friend on my friends list too. It looks like this.

ZcgRGGp.jpg

Yep had a similar one happen to me yesterday, I assumed it was something malware related so I searched the link and found various Steam support results about it.

sora87

I really wanted Shovel Knight on my Wii U but couldn't resist that price, oh wellz.
Also picked up Super Time Force Ultra, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Papers Please, Shadow Warrior and Astebreed.

RS4-

Just a heads up for people to be careful out there. I have to reinstall windows/etc now after clicking this phish url. I should have known better but I assume it was safe considering it ended with jpg. It was from a friend on my friends list too. It looks like this.

ZcgRGGp.jpg

I'm trying to remember who from GAF on my friend list was doing this as well, but it was a googledocs link. I should've kept a screenshot before blocking and deleting them.

Finally pulled the trigger on Shovel Knight. The sale coupled with seeing it on so many Game of the Year lists made it a no-brainer. Really enjoying it so far, one of those games where once you start playing it you don't want to stop. I know this isn't news to 99% of people, but yeah, that game's alright.

Been wondering about this too. Might jump on it.

Panda Rin

Sorta pissed I passed on Endless Legend (twice, actually...). Looks really intriguing..

Old World Blues for NV? I'm not looking to spend too much on DLC.

cicero

Yeah, download window came up for a file with a weird extension at the end. I didnt download it but I would rather be safe than sorry. Also it helps to set your browser setting to ask where to download files before downloading
Why do you have to reinstall windows if you didn't actually download anything?

Kagemusha

Workshop! You have access to an dozen amazing fan-made games. Wasn't someone working on a remake of the original SNES game?

Maxios

What's the difference between Don't Starve and the Long Dark? They sound like exactly the same game except one has snow.

I'm not very well-versed in either, but from what I understand they are two very different games in the same genre. Don't Starve is a top-down survival game set in another realm full of really weird stuff like sentient Pigmen, giant monsters, and Grues. It's a very difficult game, with almost all wildlife trying to kill you. There are different characters you can unlock to play as, and each one has their own special perks. Don't Starve is a finished game, and there's an expansion pack to add in co-op.

The Long Dark is a first-person survival game set in the snowy wilderness. I think it's set in Alaska or Canada. Anyway, it has a very hefty focus on realism with no real fantastical elements to speak of. The focus on realism means you can freeze to death, starve to death, get eaten alive by wolves, yada yada yada. From what I've seen, it seems the environment is a much bigger threat in The Long Dark than it is in Don't Starve. You'll be able to play as different characters eventually, but I'm not sure if each one with have special bonuses. The Long Dark is in early access, and the developers have no intention of adding multiplayer.

hohoXD123

So good

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hohoXD123, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-7AE8DE8381D712B7 - Taken by PhoenixFyre. 9 entrants total.

t1419734783z1.png

I was lucky enough to be gifted Age of Wonders III... holy hell, I'm not sure I'll need another game. Someone has made a Warhammer Fantasy mod, and there's a Middle-Earth mod in the works too. Nice.

Does anyone else get white pixel lines at the edge of their monitor when playing State of Decay? They're especially pronounced when using sweetfx.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.

Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-9A3D902251941DF3 - Taken by Kagemusha

Mashing

Can you give away games on GoG that you haven't installed yet? I just realized I duplicated some games in my steam inventory, so I guess I'll just do a giveaway for those.

Sch1sm

Can you give away games on GoG that you haven't installed yet? I just realized I duplicated some games in my steam inventory, so I guess I'll just do a giveaway for those.

I've seen a lot of Witcher GOG codes given away through ModBot, so I assume yes.

Harusame

I need some opinions. Recettear is currently 66% off and is now $7.47 CDN. Should I buy it now or wait for a possible flash sale? I am also thinking of purchasing the Carpe Fulgur collection which includes Recettear, Fortune Summoners & Chantelise, and is going for $18.68 CDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom