• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

What a steal
who buys this??

cod7suyp.jpg

Oh wow, AW isn't even included
Who buys this, you ask?

14 year olds with their mom's credit card...

Prodigal

Banned
Why isn't Shovel Knight on Amazon? Anyone wanna trade a $10 game on Amazon of your choosing for Shovel Knight on Steam? I have an Amazon gift card lol.

I was lucky enough to be gifted Age of Wonders III... holy hell, I'm not sure I'll need another game. Someone has made a Warhammer Fantasy mod, and there's a Middle-Earth mod in the works too. Nice.

Warhammer Fantasy mod you say? I am very intrigued...thanks a lot , you bastard! My wallet ;(

Talyn

anyone? pretty stumped on this
Honestly? I'd just start with the base game. It's going to be hard enough to get a grasp on the basics as it is, there's really no reason to make things more complicated with expansions yet. However, if you really want to buy some DLC here's a thread on the Steam forums discussing the best ones to start off with and why.

Kagemusha

asked in the hidden deals thread but any good Mega Man style games? Itching to play one of those.
These are on my wish list.
Rex Rocket
Rocket Knight
20xx
Xenodrifter
Wings of Vi
Super Panda Adventure
Amazing princess Sarah
Jet gunner
JoyLancer
Platformines
Top Hat
Magicians and Looters
Viktor: Enforcer Edition
Noitu Love 2 Devolution

what combination of 2-4 dlcs for crusader kings 2 is best to get right now if i want to spend say an extra 10 dollars on dlc in addition to the base game?

http://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/wiki/expansions This is the reddit ck2 wiki link talking about expansions

excerpt:

Which expansions should I purchase?
Generally, the community holds The Old Gods (for extending game-play by two hundred years) and Legacy of Rome (for allowing players to create standing armies, called 'retinues') above the other expansions. As Charlemagne unlocked the 769 start date (another hundred years before The Old Gods), this might quickly become a favorite too. However, the enhancements and varied game-play provided by the other expansions are not to be ignored - each expansion enriches the game in its own way, or unlocks new characters to play.[/QUOTE]

IMO TOP 4 DLC is :
1. The Old Gods
2. Legacy of Rome
3. Charlemagne (has yet to go on sale)
4. Way of Life (this just came out so I don't know it's true value yet)

Unicorn

http://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/wiki/expansions This is the reddit ck2 wiki link talking about expansions

excerpt:

Which expansions should I purchase?
Generally, the community holds The Old Gods (for extending game-play by two hundred years) and Legacy of Rome (for allowing players to create standing armies, called 'retinues') above the other expansions. As Charlemagne unlocked the 769 start date (another hundred years before The Old Gods), this might quickly become a favorite too. However, the enhancements and varied game-play provided by the other expansions are not to be ignored - each expansion enriches the game in its own way, or unlocks new characters to play.
IMO TOP 4 DLC is :
1. The Old Gods
2. Legacy of Rome
3. Charlemagne (has yet to go on sale)
4. Way of Life (this just came out so I don't know it's true value yet)
Most things the steam reviews say is that way of life dlc is really shallow for the price point. Life choices aren't deep enough and don't provide enough new or interesting. I still want it though lol

Yrael

Looks like The Long Dark will be my first purchase of the sale so far. It may still be an early access game, but the positive reviews have won me over.

Most things the steam reviews say is that way of life dlc is really shallow for the price point. Life choices aren't deep enough and don't provide enough new or interesting. I still want it though lol

Me too, my friend. If that's the case I would take Way of Life out of the #4 slot and throw either The Republic (If you wanna play a Doge) or Rajas of India ( if you want to play as an Indian Ruler and open up more land on the map).

Maddocks

Is Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition worth the price or is it better to just buy regular New Vegas and just mod the crap out of it to make up for the lack of dlc?

For Crusader Kings II, is there a time limit? Like, after a certain year the game ends?

Yes, I forget which year. CK2 doesn't hold your hand and is quite complex. I recommend you watch a few episodes of a "let's play" on youtube by either Quill18 or Tek's Tavern. Furthermore google some newb-friendly ck2 articles and wikis online. Once you get a good understanding of the game, it's very captivating and enjoyable. Mods also are fun!

Sarcasm

Is Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition worth the price or is it better to just buy regular New Vegas and just mod the crap out of it to make up for the lack of dlc?

Worth it. Though it was cheaper before but still worth it especially if your going to play it right away.

tim.mbp

Is there any way to have big picture mode show partial controller games? It seems it's either full controller or everything.

Yes, I forget which year. CK2 doesn't hold your hand and is quite complex. I recommend you watch a few episodes of a "let's play" on youtube by either Quill18 or Tek's Tavern. Furthermore google some newb-friendly ck2 articles and wikis online. Once you get a good understanding of the game, it's very captivating and enjoyable. Mods also are fun!

Was kinda hoping for a sandbox mode to keep on playing but I'll check out some vids. Thanks!

KarmaCow

The next big sale is the Spring sale right? I'm debating whether to pick up Super Time Force now and have it potentially just sit there while I play other games.

Tizoc

What is so good about Shovel Knight? Does it innovate in any way?

Games don't have to innovate to be fun or good; they just need to be fun and entertaining and/or hitting that sweet spot you're looking for in a genre, which is why Shovel Knight is well regarded.

Miker

The next big sale is the Spring sale right? I'm debating whether to pick up Super Time Force now and have it potentially just sit there while I play other games.

There is no Spring Sale.

...which I think is a huge oversight on Valve's part, because there's a massive gap between the winter sale and summer sale, yet a tiny one between pre-holiday and winter sale.

KarmaCow

There is no Spring Sale.

...which I think is a huge oversight on Valve's part, because there's a massive gap between the winter sale and summer sale, yet a tiny one between pre-holiday and winter sale.

Are there really no sales in between? I could have sworn there was something, even a small one like the Halloween sale.

alstein

I need some opinions. Recettear is currently 66% off and is now $7.47 CDN. Should I buy it now or wait for a possible flash sale? I am also thinking of purchasing the Carpe Fulgur collection which includes Recettear, Fortune Summoners & Chantelise, and is going for $18.68 CDN.

Recettear has gone lower, and they had difficulty getting a sale in the first place according to posts from SpaceDrake here (not Valve's fault), so chance of a daily is really, really low.

Get now or wait for 75% if $1.67 of savings is worth waiting a few months.

Recettear has gone lower, and they had difficulty getting a sale in the first place according to posts from SpaceDrake here (not Valve's fault), so chance of a daily is really, really low.

Get now or wait for 75% if $1.67 of savings is worth waiting a few months.

Dude he could use that $1.67 he saved to buy the best-selling title, Bad Rats! Think of the value!!!!

GAF I'm thinking of buying Shadowrun Dragonfall, but I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to play any other games in the franchise to have any idea whats happening? Is it easy to understand for someone who knows nothing about that universe.

2. What is the gameplay like? I get its an RPG of some sort but not sure how exactly its mechanics are.

KarmaCow

GAF I'm thinking of buying Shadowrun Dragonfall, but I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to play any other games in the franchise to have any idea whats happening? Is it easy to understand for someone who knows nothing about that universe.

2. What is the gameplay like? I get its an RPG of some sort but not sure how exactly its mechanics are.

1) You'll be fine. The developers realise that the last real Shadowrun game was around 20 years ago so most people don't know about it. You might miss references but you wont be lost.

2)Turned based combat on a grid with RPG leveling, talking to people out of combat with dialogue options, and areas/options gated by skill checks or key/codes discovered via exploration. A common occurence is finding a computer where you can either hack or find the password elsewhere in the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom