• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought spelunky, guacamelee, hotline miami, etc all for PC and never played them, but loved them on vita. So, should I just wait for Shovel Knight's vita release?

BasilZero

I was gonna get FFXIII off the squareenix store but decided not to in the last minute.

Its the last day of the sale for the store but eh I'll wait for it - we still have a few more days left in the Steam sale so I might as well wait and see if I can get something I dont have already (already have XIII on PS3 :p).

Come on Prince of Persia n_n........or Crysis 1 Maximum Edition/Quake Collection lol.

BasilZero

Toki Tori 1, 2 or both?

I liked the first one.

Didnt like the 2nd one since it was more of a platformer/adventure rather than pure puzzle solving like the first one (although it did have puzzles and non-linear path).

I'll get back to it - I've heard good things about the 2nd game in its entirety - I only played a little bit of the 2nd one but the first one like I said is short and sweet.

Georome

My damage so far:

Lords of the Fallen
Ghostbusters
Rise of Nations
Age of Empires II
Stronghold
Hegemony Rome
CivCity: Rome
Imperium Romanum
Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Stuff I really want to go on sale:

Rayman Legends
Crusader Kings Charlemagne DLC

Kagemusha

I was actually wondering this myself.
I went ahead and bought Gemini 2. I'm not able to instal it yet so I can't give impressions. The developer abandoned the first Gemini game during its early access development and angered a lot of people. Seems they are supporting and updating this. Looks like it has workshop support too.

autoduelist

Is Dawn of War II Retribution sort of 'best of class' for the type of game it is? Is it a good entry point or can I get into the franchise just fine on a cheaper, older model?

Who said that...I enjoyed it like I said earlier and I think its like really cheap now so why not...? of course Dragonfall is better but Returns is good also.

I suppose only one person technically 'said it', but it was among many more posts knocking SR while praising the sequel so it felt like people were agreeing.

Shadowrun: Returns can go jump off a cliff. I would suggest skipping it for Dragonfall, and if you're curious to see its lame duck predecessor is, then giving it a shot. Playing SR first may sour you on playing what is essentially the fixed version of the same game anyway. Dragonfall is one part expansion, one part mea culpa and one part breaking away from the mobile roots of the SR.

Sch1sm

Has Wolfenstein gone on sale yet?

On Steam? Not once during the sale. On Green Man Gaming it's currently $30 but it was $20 yesterday and with the 20/22% off vouchers it was about $15. May show up in the last few days of the Holiday Sale, still.

Miker

Is Dawn of War II Retribution sort of 'best of class' for the type of game it is? Is it a good entry point or can I get into the franchise just fine on a cheaper, older model?

Yes and no? Dawn of War II is very different from Dawn of War I, in that the sequel has no base building whatsoever, and the campaign plays kind of like squad-based Diablo x real-time strategy/tactics (it's awesome). If you want more traditional RTS stuff like base building and bigger unit counts, then you'll want Dawn of War I.

Now, is Retribution a good point for Dawn of War II? Well, again, yes and no. It has the most races (six altogether), but it has the blandest campaign. Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising have fewer races, but they have far more interesting campaigns. Chaos Rising's campaign is the best of the three by far.

That said, I don't think the deals are these games are particularly good. That's not to say they're not good value, but they're still somewhat pricey for how old they are (in Steam terms).

I hope that helps you or anybody else wondering about the Dawn of War games.

louiedog

Has dead rising 3 been any lower than it is on steam? Any chance it will go lower?

Other than a brief mistake on a European game store this is the cheapest it's been as far as I'm aware.

GMG carriees it so it with coupon it could potentially go cheaper there, but this is the best you'll do on Steam itself.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of hohoXD123, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hohoXD123, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-7AE8DE8381D712B7 - Taken by PhoenixFyre. 9 entrants total.

t1419734783z1.png

Tesseract

Banned
oniken is really awesome, it's the nes ninja gaiden sequel i always wanted. once you start you won't stop until you 100% its achievements.

rickyson1

what combination of 2-4 dlcs for crusader kings 2 is best to get right now if i want to spend say an extra 10 dollars on dlc in addition to the base game?

autoduelist

Yes and no? Dawn of War II is very different from Dawn of War I, in that the sequel has no base building whatsoever, and the campaign plays kind of like squad-based Diablo x real-time strategy/tactics (it's awesome). If you want more traditional RTS stuff like base building and bigger unit counts, then you'll want Dawn of War I.

Now, is Retribution a good point for Dawn of War II? Well, again, yes and no. It has the most races (six altogether), but it has the blandest campaign. Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising have fewer races, but they have far more interesting campaigns. Chaos Rising's campaign is the best of the three by far.

That said, I don't think the deals are these games are particularly good. That's not to say they're not good value, but they're still somewhat pricey for how old they are (in Steam terms).

I hope that helps you or anybody else wondering about the Dawn of War games.

Perfect answer, thanks. Sounds like I'd love them all, but the kicker is what you said at the end, you're right, even on 'daily' the deal isn't that great. Hmmmm. I'll probably hold off. Maybe. Depends how many cards I sell before the deal is over, lol.

Yeah, download window came up for a file with a weird extension at the end. I didnt download it but I would rather be safe than sorry. Also it helps to set your browser setting to ask where to download files before downloading

It really doesn't sound like you need to reinstall windows. Also, install something like AVG Free and it'll catch anything like that anyway.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
JaseC apparently personally threatened all of ubisoft if they didn't remove the tages and so they apparently removed the tages along with all other form of DRM, making it drm free on steam. He was gonna kill everybody and flood them with pics of his avatar library

I bought it today and it has no visible DRM whatsoever.

Thanks for the help folks. I'm going to go ahead and buy the Gold edition.

Kagemusha

I need some opinions. Recettear is currently 66% off and is now $7.47 CDN. Should I buy it now or wait for a possible flash sale? I am also thinking of purchasing the Carpe Fulgur collection which includes Recettear, Fortune Summoners & Chantelise, and is going for $18.68 CDN.
You could try the demo for each game as you wait for a daily.

Corpekata

Banned
Given Carpe Fulgur's issue with getting any sale going at all I'd highly doubt they're getting a feature slot this late in the game.

Crzy1

I'm really torn on whether or not to buy Shovel Knight. I'd like to play it, but I really would rather have it on my Vita when it comes out. Had heard it wouldn't be on sale so I was pretty set on picking it up for the PS4/Vita. Should I go ahead and pull the trigger?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Given Carpe Fulgur's issue with getting any sale going at all I'd highly doubt they're getting a feature slot this late in the game.

Yeah, I imagine the featured deals (48-hour Dailies, 24-hour Dailies and Community's Choice candidates) have been set in stone for some time now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
asked in the hidden deals thread but any good Mega Man style games? Itching to play one of those.
Not sure if it counts, but Freedom Planet is 50% off right now ($8.50 CAD). It's more like Sonic and Ristar than Megaman, and the production values are closer to the Sega CD/Saturn era, but it's very cool 2D old-school action platforming.

I'm really torn on whether or not to buy Shovel Knight. I'd like to play it, but I really would rather have it on my Vita when it comes out. Had heard it wouldn't be on sale so I was pretty set on picking it up for the PS4/Vita. Should I go ahead and pull the trigger?

You could always double dip to support games like this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom