• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postal 2 is so stupid
and hilarious.

I was arrested, but then I broke out of jail and pissed all over the cops while raiding their armory(even swiped a police uniform).

ExoSoul

Banned
Please sell me on the two games you listed in the spoiler...I've never heard of them and they seem highly rated by fans and critics and seem to be solid deals.
I'm not sure I'm up to the task but I'll give it a try.

Skullgirls - Are you a fan of fighting games or interested of getting into the genre? Either way this game is for you, one of the best western fighting games this kickstarted gem has all the depth of bigger titles. If this is your first time in the ring they've got your back with one of the most complete tutorial sections I've ever seen (including character specific tutorials), from basic things to moves I'll never be able to pull off myself you can find it all in the tutorial section.
Once you know how to hold your own the game opens up with a roster of unique characters and with different movesets and playstyles. If that's not enought then change the rules: choose to fight as a 3 member team of weaker characters, a 2 member team of regular characters or face your foes as a single powerful character who doesn't need assists.
But that's not all, the reason this game is so highly praised is due to its charm. From the characters, to the backgrounds, the announcer voice and even the music selection this game just oozes charisma and that's why 'till this day many hold it close to their hearts.

Rogue Legacy - This game can be viewed as either a rogue-like or rogue-lite depending on where you draw the line but the game starts with a simple premise: What do you do with the burden of your father's legacy? What will you leave behind for your next of kin?
The game works as a 2D randomly generated manor of doom: you'll choose which class you want to use that time, enter the castle and brave the unknown in search of riches and answers.
The gold you earn on each run can be used to upgrade your own manor: unlocking new classes, stat boosts or miscellaneous upgrades that will make future adventures more manageable or fruitful, whether you want to rely on magick or stick to melee you'll find your own play style. You can also buy new gear and runes from friendly NPCs to help you on your quests.
But hidden in the depths of the castle hide perils greater than the common for, if a boss is giving you a hard time you can always count on a special NPC to lock down the castle and help you have another go at that big meanie.
Each time you go in the castle you'll be more powerful and knowledgeable and each time you'll go deeper, finding clues that will lead you to the secrets of the castle.

what

no

in roguelikes you start with whatever you have and if youre good enough you can get as far as you want in any run

you play it a lot because youre getting better and better and understand more and more

in rogue legacy

you start as shit and you have to grind until your stats arent total shit

you have to play it over and over and over and over and over again to get the +1s to actually progress in the game

its lame

This is scaring me off. Steam reviews and metacritic love this game...but if it's a grindy game...I dunno :O

Malajax

I've hears Skullgirls is awesome and I'm hella interested.

Does it have any form of single player content?

Features tutorials to get you into the game, a classic arcade mode, and a story mode for each (12 currently I think with at least 2 more on the way) character. The stories for the original 8 are pretty basic, but the DLC characters feature more in depth stories.

aku:jiki

What Rogue Legacy is great. Sure it can be grindy at times but that's something all rougelikes suffer from.
Rogue Legacy is not a roguelike in any way and the entire design of the game is centered around grinding gold to improve your castle. It's not something you do a little bit of at the end, it's the primary design concept of the entire game.

I liked it for the most part, but let's not try to hide what it actually is from people who might be spending their money on it.

ExoSoul

Banned
what no
in roguelikes you start with whatever you have and if youre good enough you can get as far as you want in any run you play it a lot because youre getting better and better and understand more and more
in rogue legacy you start as shit and you have to grind until your stats arent total shit
you have to play it over and over and over and over and over again to get the +1s to actually progress in the game
its lame
You had a bad experience with the game and tbh from what you said it seems that you didn't try to understand the game that you were playing and kept thinking of how the game should be like in order to please you/meet your expectations.
That's understandable and can happen to anyone but that doesn't mean you're entitled to straightout misinform other people about the game.

Also I'd suggest a reference on Rogue-like and Rogue-lite, the game clearly has RPG influences and the "grind" you complain so much about is nothing than basic skill tree progression. As you yourself put it the better you are the further you'll go each run, and the better you preform the more you advance in terms of stats and skills. The game is hardly Grundy and the randomly generated layout keeps it fresh. If it's not your cup of tea it's fine but don't paint it as the worst game possible to others, let them decide by themselves.

I'm not sure I'm up to the task but I'll give it a try.

Skullgirls - Are you a fan of fighting games or interested of getting into the genre? Either way this game is for you, one of the best western fighting games this kickstarted gem has all the depth of bigger titles. If this is your first time in the ring they've got your back with one of the most complete tutorial sections I've ever seen (including character specific tutorials), from basic things to moves I'll never be able to pull off myself you can find it all in the tutorial section.
Once you know how to hold your own the game opens up with a roster of unique characters and with different movesets and playstyles. If that's not enought then change the rules: choose to fight as a 3 member team of weaker characters, a 2 member team of regular characters or face your foes as a single powerful character who doesn't need assists.
But that's not all, the reason this game is so highly praised is due to its charm. From the characters, to the backgrounds, tye announcer voice and even the music selection this game just oozes charisma and that's why 'till this day many hold it close to their hearts.

Rogue Legacy - This game can be viewed as either a rogue-like or rogue-lite depending on where you draw the line but the game starts with a simple premise: What do you do with the burden of your father's legacy? What will you leave behind for your next of kin?
The game works as a 2D randomly generated manor of doom: you'll choose which class you want to use that time, enter the castle and brave the unknown in search of riches and answers.
The gold you earn on each run can be used to upgrade your own manor: unlocking new classes, stat boosts or miscellaneous upgrades that will make future adventures more manageable or fruitful, whether you want to rely on magick or stick to melee you'll find your own play style. You can also buy new gear and runes from friendly NPCs to help you on your quests.
But hidden in the depths of the castle hide perils greater than the common for, if a boss is giving you a hard time you can always count on a special NPC to lock down the castle and help you have another go at that big meanie.
Each time you go in the castle you'll be more powerful and knowledgeable and each time you'll go deeper, finding clues that will lead you to the secrets of the castle.

ExoSoul, you are a scholar and a gentleman! Thanks for the great write ups. I'm saving some cash so I'll prolly just decide between the two but you've given me great insight into these indy gems. Thanks.

Mrbob

Isn't Rogue Legacy unofficially a Rogue-lite? Well whatever it is I played it for about 30 hours on Steam and enjoyed my time. Sure you grind for stats but that is the core game play aspect. You need to grind for stats too because the game gets progressively harder each time you beat it. I think I'm on NG+++ right now but it is too crazy tough for me. Got my moneys worth though and I bought it at launch.

Isn't Rogue Legacy unofficially a Rogue-lite? Well whatever it is I played it for about 30 hours on Steam and enjoyed my time. Sure you grind for stats but that is the core game play aspect. You need to grind for stats too because the game gets progressively harder each time you beat it. I think I'm on NG+++ right now but it is too crazy tough for me. Got my moneys worth though and I bought it at launch.
It's the least roguelike roguelite available. It's more derivative of the other roguelites than it is roguelikes, since it's definition of "rogue" is persistent unlocks between runs and that's something invented for the roguelite genre, not something that was ever in actual roguelikes. Nothing else it does is especially roguelike.

Also I'd suggest a reference on Rogue-like and Rogue-lite.
Bro, you need one yourself if you think Rogue Legacy can in any way be labeled a roguelike. It not being a turn-based RPG is kind of a dealbreaker.

ExoSoul

Banned
ExoSoul, you are a scholar and a gentleman! Thanks for the great write ups. I'm saving some cash so I'll prolly just decide between the two but you've given me great insight into these indy gems. Thanks.
No problem, glad to be of service =)
Sorry it took so long, I did it from a small tablet and halfway through I accidentally erased everything so I had to write it all again ^_^'

Bro, you need one yourself if you think Rogue Legacy can in any way be labeled a roguelike. It not being a turn-based RPG is kind of a dealbreaker.
What I was trying to ascertain is that Rogue Legacy is a Rogue-lite, it's not strictly bound to the same rules as a Rogue-like game. It has some influences sure but the game is more than just that.
And if people keep comparing or evaluating Rogue Legacy by a Rogue-like's standards they're doing everyone a disservice.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hah no. I did it the old fashion way. But after googling idle master I now wish I used that instead

jshackles, the creator, posts in the usual Steam OT (Banished to rot in Community Forum) regularly about Enhanced Steam and Idle Master updates and general Steam news. Post there or PM him if you need help with it.

autoduelist

The only two roguelikes I played were Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac so I thought there was a bit of grinding in rougelikes.

These are more roguelites than 'likes', but I realize the term has been trashed in the past few years anyway.

But the reason I'm responding -- the only 'grinding' in BoI is that you need to beat the game multiple times to unlock deeper dungeons. Within any specific game of BoI, there is no grinding as traditionally defined.

Grinding is when you do something like farm random enemy encounters for gold/experience/drops like in, say, an RPG. Like moving around in circles waiting for a random encounter, fight, win, repeat 100x to level up. This does not exist in roguelikes.

Roguelikes traditionally have food/hunger or some other metric in place as well as limited room/enemies to specifically remove grinding as a concept.

Seems roguelike-y enough.

Quick question, whats the trick to getting games to open up in windowed mode.

All the tutorials i've read say '-sw' and '-windowed' in the launch options should work but nothing ever does for me. Anyone know what's up?

What I was trying to ascertain is that Rogue Legacy is a Rogue-lite, it's not strictly bound to the same rules as a Rogue-like game. It has some influences sure but the game is more than just that.
And if people keep comparing or evaluating Rogue Legacy by a Rogue-like's standards they're doing everyone a disservice.
Oh, well, I agree with that then. Roguelites can do whatever they want. The bothersome part is how people conflated "inspired by roguelikes" to just "roguelike", causing utterly pointless confusion for themselves. I don't think any of these games actually label themselves roguelike.

This does not exist in roguelikes.
I don't know about all that. I admittedly have more experience with ChunSoft titles (Shiren is like my favorite game of all time) than I do with NetHack and Angband, but you can certainly grind in at least that branch of classic roguelikes. You have to manage your character while you do it, yes, but it's possible and a positive thing to do.

Ferrio

Banned
How roguelike is Crypt of the Necrodancer?

Matters, it has two modes.

You can play it classic roguelike in hardcore mode where you always start out with base stats and if you die you start back at Zone 1-1

Or you could play it regular where you have buffs/item unlocks that last over multiple play throughs and you can continue at the start of any zone.

Ehhhhhh. Idk. 33% off on a $15 game doesn't feel like all that great a deal. Or maybe it is.....
what kind of a monster has Steam turned me into....

Shovel knight felt like a $5 game to me. People should be aware it only lasts about three hours and basically has no real challenge.

Unless you are into setting your own limitations in games, there are probably better and cheaper games available.

-MD-

Shovel knight felt like a $5 game to me. People should be aware it only lasts about three hours and basically has no real challenge.

Unless you are into setting your own limitations in games, there are probably better and cheaper games available.

It's closer to 5-6 hours long for a first time playthrough.

-MD-

This is scaring me off. Steam reviews and metacritic love this game...but if it's a grindy game...I dunno :O

Rogue Legacy is a steal at $2, buy it.

MGyQ0uf.png

So good.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Buburibon, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Buburibon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shovel Knight -- MB-3E981AFF39D5839B - Taken by AsylumX. 207 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor -- MB-1E274D3F69540741 - Taken by manueldelalas. 210 entrants total.
Super Time Force Ultra -- MB-0D366351D68F6B64 - Taken by creamfarts. 138 entrants total.

t1419802466z1.png

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

It's horribly grindy. The whole game feels built around the leveling mechanic and you can't shake off the feeling the whole time that you won't be able to beat the game because your character still needs more leveling up. I bought it on the cheap, but my regret isn't financial, but rather with how boring a timesink the game is.

AxeMan

I'm thinking of Invisible, Inc if it gets up in the Community Vote.

Any recommendations or not on this?
I usually don't buy Early Access games but I'm really liking the look of this one

It's horribly grindy. The whole game feels built around the leveling mechanic and you can't shake off the feeling the whole time that you won't be able to beat the game because your character still needs more leveling up. I bought it on the cheap, but my regret isn't financial, but rather with how boring a timesink the game is.

Wow, this title seems quite polarizing on this board!

dani_dc

Rogue Legacy is without a doubt a game built around grinding. With that said, the game feels very satisfying at a mechanical level which was enough to carry me from start to finish.

If you're looking for a rogue game based solely on skill this won't be the game for you, if however you want something that controls great and is a good time killer then Rogue Legacy is a great pick.

Jintor

Rogue Legacy is a Roguelike with a safety mechanism in that each time you die at least you're making a LITTLE progress

that can be a good or a bad thing. I liked it, personally

it's no spelunky tho, but nothing is

Instro

Pretty much. The game seems enjoyable initially, but fairly quickly becomes a slog of level and gold grinding until you are strong enough to face each successive area. The environments are randomized, so nothing interesting there, and the enemy design is pretty dull, and mostly just palette swaps. The mechanics don't get any deeper than what you get within the first 15 minutes. Bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom