• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Skullgirls has probably the single best fighting game tutorials in existence, by the way

The actual gameplay is a little too... well, okay, I don't have a fighting stick is the long and the short of it. I like it, but it's a little too much for me - I need a full cabinet. Well, at least a stick.

Kiyo

I put 22 hours into Rogue Legacy and I enjoyed most of it. After New Game+ (or maybe it was ++) I just got bored of it, and I can see how others got bored a lot earlier. But yes, it is a very grindy game. The mechanics and enemies are fun though so I'd still recommend it for $2.24.

FWIW I enjoyed my 10ish hours of Shovel Knight quite a bit more than Rogue Legacy, and if the choice were between the 2, I'd say go with Shovel Knight.

I'm interested in that too, but do not think 25% off is enough for me to grab it atm with so many other titles I haven't even tried yet.

I'm guessing leaving it until 2nd of January would be more prudent since it isn't a daily.

---btw.. DR3 is part of the console 30fps lock bs isn't it? similar to DS.

Yeah, I guess I will hold off, for now.

We'll see what transpires.

Edit: LOL! I just checked and they lowered the price.

Looks like I was prudent to wait after all.

You know I just wanted to get the thoughts of you guys on the following matter:

Is anyone else surprised how long STEAM has gone without hacking issues

I mean, seriously!

After all this continuous business with Anonymous, Lizard Squad, etc. hacking Sony, MS, and other major web services left and right I'm surprised that STEAM has remained untouched thus far.

Why do you think this is? Is it great security measures or just the fact that nobody bothers to hack them? They could be a lucrative target to a adept hacker party.

I mean, seriously!

After all this continuous business with Anonymous, Lizard Squad, etc. hacking Sony, MS, and other major web services left and right I'm surprised that STEAM has remained untouched thus far.

Why do you think this is? Is it great security measures or just the fact that nobody bothers to hack them? They could be a lucrative target to a adept hacker party.

Now you've done it...

I mean, seriously!

Please don't jinx this.

The Force Unleashed: Ulimate Sith Edition is $3.75 from Nuuvem. I am happy to shill for that site.

I can't get my account to validate. At the account creation screen it just sits at "Validando..." If anyone can pick one of these up for me, I'm happy to paypal you $5.

autoduelist

I don't know about all that. I admittedly have more experience with ChunSoft titles (Shiren is like my favorite game of all time) than I do with NetHack and Angband, but you can certainly grind in at least that branch of classic roguelikes. You have to manage your character while you do it, yes, but it's possible and a positive thing to do.

I haven't played Shiren (I actually own Shiren the Wanderer for DS, but don't own a DS).

I suppose there are always exceptions, but as a general rule you'll usually find mechanisms in place (hunger being the classic) that force you to move along, often in combination with non-regenerating monsters (forcing a limited food supply per level, and thus there's no reason/way to create unlimited experience generation.

I'm sure a couple break that rule (Shiren, as you say), but I'd still consider it a defining element of the genre.

Rogue Legacy is a Roguelike with a safety mechanism in that each time you die at least you're making a LITTLE progress

The problem with making progress of this sort in a rogue-like is that it breaks game balance in such a way that the game is
1) easy on later playthroughs due to having acquired permanent perks
and
2) a fresh character has absolutely no chance unless they die dozens or hundreds of times to 'rack up' this 'progress'.

For example, an experienced player of Nethack could take a fresh install of Nethack and do well since all games start at ground zero. But if you take a meta-progress game, such as Rogue Legacy (which I haven't played but am basing it on the discussion here), that same expert player would have, on a fresh install, a woefully underpowered character that simply hasn't 'unlocked' enough perks/whatever to get past a certain point.

The 'skill' has been removed to some degree - it's no longer the player's learned wisdom and wise choices generating survivability for the current character, but rather, past deaths that ticked up some 'progress' counter and let them start with a fire sword of doom and invisibility every game.

That's the beauty of a grindless game -- the developers can work on balancing it. A game with meta-progress can never be truly balanced, for it's got to be too difficult for starting characters, and will ultimately be too easy once you have fully leveled the meta-game. That's the cost of having the starting character so variable based on past-playthroughs.

Going rogue-like for a second, it would be like if you got to keep all the best items in Binding of Isaac... if you find, say, pyromaniac on your first playthrough you'd effectively break the game and it would be too easy forevermore.

So, basically, that illusion of 'progress' actually makes the game harder, not easier. Until you die a couple hundred times, of course, at which point the game is now too easy. Give me permadeath and no meta-game any day. (unlocks such as new starting races, etc, are perfectly fine, that still creates a sense of progress w/o affecting balance of all future playthroughs).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And that's about why rogue-likes are the most hit or miss genre in the gaming universe. They're either fantastic or complete shit. It's become the genre for indie developers who don't understand balance but still want to just put the check in the box that says "challenging."

Thanks for that link. I have heard good things about it from review sites but I like include them with general players (for want of a better term) to get all impressions.

I'm not sure if it's long, short, campaign mode, online etc etc.

My impression is that it's singleplayer only, and a very replayable campaign.

My impression is that it's singleplayer only, and a very replayable campaign.
Yes, it's singleplayer only with procedural levels. It's got some roguelike elements. Games usually last a few hours, although they haven't put in the full proper campaign yet. But it's extremely polished and playable as it stands, and more or less my game of the year.

zer0das

Banned
I haven't played Shiren (I actually own Shiren the Wanderer for DS, but don't own a DS).

I suppose there are always exceptions, but as a general rule you'll usually find mechanisms in place (hunger being the classic) that force you to move along, often in combination with non-regenerating monsters (forcing a limited food supply per level, and thus there's no reason/way to create unlimited experience generation.

I'm sure a couple break that rule (Shiren, as you say), but I'd still consider it a defining element of the genre.

The problem with making progress of this sort in a rogue-like is that it breaks game balance in such a way that the game is
1) easy on later playthroughs due to having acquired permanent perks
and
2) a fresh character has absolutely no chance unless they die dozens or hundreds of times to 'rack up' this 'progress'.

For example, an experienced player of Nethack could take a fresh install of Nethack and do well since all games start at ground zero. But if you take a meta-progress game, such as Rogue Legacy (which I haven't played but am basing it on the discussion here), that same expert player would have, on a fresh install, a woefully underpowered character that simply hasn't 'unlocked' enough perks/whatever to get past a certain point.

The 'skill' has been removed to some degree - it's no longer the player's learned wisdom and wise choices generating survivability for the current character, but rather, past deaths that ticked up some 'progress' counter and let them start with a fire sword of doom and invisibility every game.

That's the beauty of a grindless game -- the developers can work on balancing it. A game with meta-progress can never be truly balanced, for it's got to be too difficult for starting characters, and will ultimately be too easy once you have fully leveled the meta-game. That's the cost of having the starting character so variable based on past-playthroughs.

Going rogue-like for a second, it would be like if you got to keep all the best items in Binding of Isaac... if you find, say, pyromaniac on your first playthrough you'd effectively break the game and it would be too easy forevermore.

So, basically, that illusion of 'progress' actually makes the game harder, not easier. Until you die a couple hundred times, of course, at which point the game is now too easy. Give me permadeath and no meta-game any day. (unlocks such as new starting races, etc, are perfectly fine, that still creates a sense of progress w/o affecting balance of all future playthroughs).

After beating Rogue Legacy I was curious who had the fewest children and finished the game. I believe it was 11 at the time. And like 4 of them were intentional deaths for strategic reasons.

I beat it with 220ish children, newgame plus was another 50 or so. I put 20ish hours into the game and enjoyed it.

Is Alan Wake worth $3?

Good game, meh game, awful game?
The game is worth suffering to see the DLC episodes which were actually quite creative. The game's core gameplay loop is quite tedious. I hear there is some weird quirk with the difficulty that makes lower difficulties actually harder? I have no clue but yeah. If you like third person shooters go for it.

The game is worth suffering to see the DLC episodes which were actually quite creative. The game's core gameplay loop is quite tedious. I hear there is some weird quirk with the difficulty that makes lower difficulties actually harder? I have no clue but yeah. If you like third person shooters go for it.

That was one of the aspects of the game that I thoroughly enjoyed. The
dodging
mechanic never got old for me, even on multiple playthroughs. One man's meat and all that I guess.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
There are better games to do that.

Really? I actually would recommend Skullgirls on the basis that, yes, it doesn't assume you know the foundations of fighting games. Tutorials could be more streamlined, but it's not a bad place to start at all.

edit: MK has much much better singleplayer modes though.

Heartfyre

Man...my will to avoid buying the DS2 Season Pass is wavering...

My PC is in sore need of an upgrade, and I'm unsure that it would handle the upgrades in the Scholar of the First Sin edition, (darn 32-bit OS). I'm also out of the country for the next eight months, so there's no need to upgrade now, anyway. And when I do come back, I'll have Bloodborne to play. And I really want to take the DLC with my sword-and-board that I rocked the rest of the game with.

I don't think there are many people in my situation, where for them, it's much better to wait for the upgrade, but I think it's in my best interest to just swallow the cost and have at it.

Tizoc

The Transformers games are very good and this is the cheapest they've always been on Steam sales
Don't bother Rise of the Dark Spark, it's mediocre at best.
Get War and Fall which are more than enough.
War has a 60 FPS fix too.

Is holiday card trading okay in here?
I'd use the Steam Trading Cards Group STCards for that as there are a lot more people to trade with and several active threads there. I did that for the summer sale but this time I just sold the cards as I don't care for the EXP or rewards.

rickyson1

This is scaring me off. Steam reviews and metacritic love this game...but if it's a grindy game...I dunno :O

I didn't really care for it either but at 2 dollars if the game seems like it might interest you at all you should still go for it

even if the grinding and such ultimately turns you off you'll probably at least get a couple hours of fun out of it before you get sick of it

really though if you want a Rogue-lite grab binding of isaac the next time it's on sale,amazing game

I love Rogue Legacy. Got the platinum in the PS4 version, bought it on Steam with this sale and will likely use it as an excuse to play through again.

It isn't perfect, but it has tight controls, a very novel spin on the rogue-lite/like template and there's plenty of different viable ways to play through it in terms of character class. Plus, the soundtrack is excellent!

Sarcasm

I'd use the Steam Trading Cards Group STCards for that as there are a lot more people to trade with and several active threads there. I did that for the summer sale but this time I just sold the cards as I don't care for the EXP or rewards.

Part of that group but some reason I get can't post error code 21.

Website doesn't even work.

Kayant

Happy Holidays, and good luck everyone! :)

Great giveaway thanks.

Here's my contribution -

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kayant, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shadowrun Returns -- MB-DBEED07B0CEBB04E - Taken by Danielsan. 33 entrants total.
Skullgirls -- MB-4400A48F50BD28A0 - Taken by EricTheCleric. 23 entrants total.

t1419786563z1.png

Drek

Any recommendations on what expansions/extra content to get with Crusader Kings II? There is a fuck ton available, a good chunk on sale, but I'm not looking to spend a ton on DLC when I'm getting the game for $10.

xeris

Any recommendations on what expansions/extra content to get with Crusader Kings II? There is a fuck ton available, a good chunk on sale, but I'm not looking to spend a ton on DLC when I'm getting the game for $10.

For a new player I wouldn't want to totally load up on expansions. Most of them are just cosmetic anyway. That said, I'd get Sword of Islam to open up the game a bit and MAYBE Legacy of Rome. The rest can wait until you decide if you like the core game.

Games don't have to innovate to be fun or good; they just need to be fun and entertaining and/or hitting that sweet spot you're looking for in a genre, which is why Shovel Knight is well regarded.

Not really. Its a run of the mill mega man clone. Its fun but far from fresh or truly great.

Thanks. I am still unsure, but I see Total Biscuit has a video on it, so maybe he can sway me. These 8/16 bit retro games usually are not my cup of tea.

empyrean

Want Banished but am on Mac and won't bootcamp so want something similar to scratch the itch, Tropico 5 @ £12.24? Or can someone suggest something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom