• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yeah I figured that might be the case. I'm sure I will get the base game some day, after all I want to see what "all the fuss" has been about, but I'm not sure how much the game holds up today. I know there are probably outspoken people on both sides of the camp :p

The only "Half Life" I played was the Black Mesa mod, which I very much enjoyed playing on my Intel HD 2000 iGPU. It was actually the first game I wanted to try after I got the 970, but for some reason it didn't run when I installed it. I still need to finish it and plan on doing that.

I played Half Life 2 only a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I had played it a bit via the port on the original XBox but found the pc version a much more enjoyable experience. I did play with a controller but that's only because my m&kb skills are not good enough for 'quick' games. What I enjoyed the most about it was appreciating how cleverly the devs subtly guided the player through the environment without hitting the player over the head with crass clues or instructions. Contemporary AAA games tend to put arrows on the floor or have the player character talk to itself and say the most blindingly obvious things e.g. "Hm, that door is locked. I had best look for another way in." No shit Sherlock Batman. Valve didn't treat the player like a complete idiot and even though I might play like one at times I was able to make my way through the game well enough without feeling like one :).

It's definitely worth playing if for no other reason than to understand for yourself its importance in gaming's heritage. I didn't quite finish it but that's only because I can only take so much shooty shooty bang bang KILL! KILL! KILL! before I get bored. That's a reflection on my tastes though and not the game's quality. I'm sure you'll find it at a keen price or in a ModBot giveaway if you're patient :).

I played Half Life 2 only a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I had played it a bit via the port on the original XBox but found the pc version a much more enjoyable experience. I did play with a controller but that's only because my m&kb skills are not good enough for 'quick' games. What I enjoyed the most about it was appreciating how cleverly the devs subtly guided the player through the environment without hitting the player over the head with crass clues or instructions. Contemporary AAA games tend to put arrows on the floor or have the player character talk to itself and say the most blindingly obvious things e.g. "Hm, that door is locked. I had best look for another way in." No shit Sherlock Batman. Valve didn't treat the player like a complete idiot and even though I might play like one at times I was able to make my way through the game well enough without feeling like one :).

It's definitely worth playing if for no other reason than to understand for yourself its importance in gaming's heritage. I didn't quite finish it but that's only because I can only take so much shooty shooty bang bang KILL! KILL! KILL! before I get bored. That's a reflection on my tastes though and not the game's quality. I'm sure you'll find it at a keen price or in a ModBot giveaway if you're patient :).

Sounds good. And yeah I'm not big on shooters either, I can count the ones I played on one hand, and most of them were on consoles. With my current backlog, and reluctance to start chipping away at it (I swear the universe/people/family keep throwing me curveballs that are distracting me from playing! :p), being patient shouldn't be hard.

Not looking for spoilers, but VERY early on in Divinity, is it just me, or is the
murder investigation quest
cofusing as hell? It's dragging on and I'm running all over...only gripe about the game so far. Enjoy everything else.

Not looking for spoilers, but VERY early on in Divinity, is it just me, or is the
murder investigation quest
cofusing as hell? It's dragging on and I'm running all over...only gripe about the game so far. Enjoy everything else.

What are you having a problem with specifically?

You need to talk to the head of the Legionnaires, Aureus and get permission to investigate the crime scene in the inn room that has the guards in front of it. Once you've talked to Aureus they'll let you through.

I'm tempted on Banner Saga, but have always been weary of turn-based strategy RPGs. Sell me on this one GAF.

Edit: Same goes for Shadowrun: Dragonfall. FFfuuuuu, I may be venturing out into a new genre....

Edit 2: Holy shit, the original Shadowrun Returns is $1.50?!? I might have to snag both lol.

What are you having a problem with specifically?

You need to talk to the head of the Legionnaires, Aureus and get permission to investigate the crime scene in the inn room that has the guards in front of it. Once you've talked to Aureus they'll let you through.

Yeah, I'm past that. I'll figure it out, I just hate the flow of this quest (and it's so early on) and it feels like luck stumbling into the right item to move things along.
There were a couple parts where I flat out couldn't find a key I needed, so I cast flare at the damn wooden doors that have 2,000 HP for some reason. LOL

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto ...Storm 3 Full Burst for $7.5
or Revolution for $30?
or should I just wait for UNS4?

I don't own any of the older games and I'm a little torn with where I should invest my time and money. Is Revolution worth the extra monies?

Sounds good. And yeah I'm not big on shooters either, I can count the ones I played on one hand, and most of them were on consoles. With my current backlog, and reluctance to start chipping away at it (I swear the universe/people/family keep throwing me curveballs that are distracting me from playing! :p), being patient shouldn't be hard.

Heh, I understand. Life always finds a way.....to get in the way :).

I'm tempted on Banner Saga, but have always been weary of turn-based strategy RPGs. Sell me on this one GAF.

Beautiful art. Beautiful music. Interesting plot and characters.

Game is pretty depressing though just as a warning. It is very bleak and you feel helpless most of the time. There are no "right decisions". Often times no matter what way foreward you choose in the plot you lose lives / valuable resources.

It can also be very difficult at times. I could not recommend it more though. Amazing game.

ExoSoul

Banned
Naruto ...Storm 3 Full Burst for $7.5
or Revolution for $30?
or should I just wait for UNS4?

I don't own any of the older games and I'm a little torn with where I should invest my time and money. Is Revolution worth the extra monies?

Just wait, you'll get more story and a bigger roster if you do.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Gotta try my best to make the Hidden Deals thread as complete as possible before the daily deal on the 31st. Not a small order, this year actually has some fantastic price savings.

I've actually found a number of titles with different prices than the Autumn Sale. More games than I would expect either got cheaper or more expensive than the Autumn Sale. Also some games that were on sale during the Autumn Sale are not in the Winter Sale, and visa versa.

Beautiful art. Beautiful music. Interesting plot and characters.

Game is pretty depressing though just as a warning. It is very bleak and you feel helpless most of the time. There are no "right decisions". Often times no matter what way foreward you choose in the plot you lose lives / valuable resources.

It can also be very difficult at times. I could not recommend it more though. Amazing game.
How is the gameplay/mechanics? I don't even know what to expect from these type of games. The closest I come is probably Transistor...

Card Boy

Banned
I'm having the point and click and turn base itch again it seems

can anyone recommend me a point and click adventure games?

and turn base games or maybe even games like COH or DOWII?

Steam suggestions and all highly recommended.

Monkey Island 1, 2 and Tales of Monkey Island
Broken Sword 1, 2 and 5 (skip 3 and 4)
Primordia
Gemini Rue (it oozes an atmosphere similar to Snatch and Blade Runner)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
The Dig
Loom
Lost Horizon (loved this and it was a epic journey similar to Indiana Jones)
Tex Murphy series
Resonance
The Blackwell series
Ben there Dan That + Time Gentlemen Please!
Sam and Max series
The Walking Dead series (not enough gameplay to be called a PnC let alone a game but is a amazing experience)
The Wolf Among Us (same as Walking Dead)
Back to the Future the Game (this is basically Back to the Future 4, simply amazing)
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall series (first game is a traditional PnC)
Syberia (3rd game is coming out soon)
Hector: Badge of Courage (hilarious crude humour)
The Shivah (very short but is sweat)

Lost Horizon often gets ignored in point and click recommendations and let me just say its FUCKEN AWESOME!

Smash88

Banned
I just got Star Wars Force Unleashed from Nuuvem and it's the "MAC" edition? Am I boned right now or will it still run on Windows. Yes I know I'm dumb for not reading.

Haunted

How is the gameplay/mechanics? I don't even know what to expect from these type of games. The closest I come is probably Transistor...
It's half picking decisions when faced with narrated/written story events, and half playing a traditional grid-based squad SRPG game a la Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Card Boy

Banned
I just got Star Wars Force Unleashed from Nuuvem and it's the "MAC" edition? Am I boned right now or will it still run on Windows. Yes I know I'm dumb for not reading.

I don't speak Portuguese but it says Steamplay on the webpage. (Mac and PC version)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Black Ops OSX is literally the one and only exception to the SteamPlay rule.

Costia

I am new to turn based tactical games. What I currently own is XCOM:EU, banner saga and shadowrun: dragonfall. I have played a bit of each and XCOM seems to be the most noob friendly.
But from what I have seen on howlongtobeat those are rather long games. Are there any 3-6 hour long noob friendly games in this genre?

Proc

Yay, so glad to pick up banner saga at this price.

COH2 is great fun in multiplayer. Played with a buddy online against ai. Surprising that this rts has been overlooked by so man.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I am new to turn based tactical games. What I currently own is XCOM:EU, banner saga and shadowrun: dragonfall. I have played a bit of each and XCOM seems to be the most noob friendly.
But from what I have seen on howlongtobeat those are rather long games. Are there any 3-6 hour long noob friendly games in this genre?

Transistor? It's a bit of a stretch to put in that category, but it is "turnbased".

Monkey Island 1, 2 and Tales of Monkey Island
Broken Sword 1, 2 and 5 (skip 3 and 4)
Primordia
Gemini Rue (it oozes an atmosphere similar to Snatch and Blade Runner)
The Dig
Loom
Lost Horizon (loved this and it was a epic journey similar to Indiana Jones)
Tex Murphy series
Resonance
The Blackwell series
Ben there Dan That + Time Gentlemen Please!
Sam and Max series
The Walking Dead series (not enough gameplay to be called a PnC let alone a game but is a amazing experience)
The Wolf Among Us (same as Walking Dead)
Back to the Future the Game (this is basically Back to the Future 4, simply amazing)
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall series (first game is a traditional PnC)
Syberia (3rd game is coming out soon)
Hector: Badge of Courage (hilarious crude humour)
The Shivah (very short but is sweat)

Lost Horizon often gets ignored in point and click recommendations and let me just say its FUCKEN AWESOME!

The original/classic Monkey Island isn't on Steam is it? Doesn't show up in a search for me. I don't know what's the oldest allowed/available games on Steam.

Helmholtz

How's divinity in coop? Is it better in single player?
How does turn based combat work in coop, do you take turns with your friend? Is it only two player?
Forgive me I don't know a lot about the game aside from the praise it gets

It's closer to 5-6 hours long for a first time playthrough.

That just isn't true. I finished it in 3 hours and 5 minutes and never felt particularly rushed. Granted I have played a lot of platformers in my time, but anybody who takes 6 hours really needs to play some better games.

autoduelist

Do these ever go on sale? I see they've got a bundle for 9.99 but that's way over my limit for them.

Also, Deponia seems to be a highly regarded point& click, and is 90% off right now on flash. So possibly worth a look (i haven't played it). EDIT -- actually, it looks like the first part of Deponia is 90% off, but the 'complete journey' is 80% off.

ecosse_011172

From my major wish list I just need Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
Both unlikely to get significant discounts so I guess I should wait and plow through my backlog 

Card Boy

Banned
The original/classic Monkey Island isn't on Steam is it? Doesn't show up in a search for me. I don't know what's the oldest allowed/available games on Steam.

Special Edition includes the original Monkey Island switchable on fly similar to the way Halo anniversary works.

Card Boy

Banned
Do these ever go on sale? I see they've got a bundle for 9.99 but that's way over my limit for them.

Also, Deponia seems to be a highly regarded point& click, and is 90% off right now on flash. So possibly worth a look (i haven't played it). EDIT -- actually, it looks like the first part of Deponia is 90% off, but the 'complete journey' is 80% off.

I once got the Lucas Arts Adventure collection at $2.50 during the first Xmas sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom