• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty tempted to go buy a PC for Divinity:OS, does this have the specs to run it , i don't know much about PC processors etc

If I'm not getting my conversions wrong, 799 pounds is about 1,200 USD, if you feel comfortable building a PC or have someone that can help, or feel like doing some research to do it yourself. Go for this, significantly better performance for the money.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VBB9FT

Dambrosi

Banned
Transistor
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shovel Knight
The War of Mine

I can pick only two what should I pick ?

PS. I think I will get Shovel Knight on my PS4 but the deal is tempting.
Shovel Knight is a must-own, buy it for whichever machine you wish. Bear in mind that the PS4 version has some exclusive content, though.

Out of the rest, well, This War of Mine is a survival game and the other two are both turn-based strategy RPGs, so it depends on whether you can justify buying two SRPGs at once. If you can't, get Banner Saga if you already have ShadowRun Returns and haven't finished it, or Dragonfall if you either don't own Returns, or do and have finished it, and also TWOM. I hope that's clear.

Edit: Huh? Why was I thinking about Banner Saga? Yes, get Transistor at that price! (Though it's a turn-based SRPG also, it's completely different to BS and Dragonfall.)

Gaf, sell me on, (or keep me from buying for now) The Long Dark. I enjoy survival games, and it looks really promising, but being early access I'm afraid that content may be a bit lacking at the moment. I see a few reviews that have issues the the enemy ai, while I see others that praise it. $9.99 is the fringe of impulse buy for me, so if someone can get me over the edge (or get me to hold off) that would be great.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145073293&postcount=8332

Also, check the previous few pages prior to that post. There was quite a bit of favourable chat about it.

C4rter

Wow, that's a great offer. I made the order but no code is available at this point.
Status of my order is "Order Verification". I hope it will work. I used a German Creditcard., because m PayPal Address was not verified, so they said at least at newegg. Never had problems with my PayPal lol.

Edit: Now is Confirmed and in "Packaging". What are they packing, it's a game code. Please don't tell me they ship the code?!

Edit2: Ah okay, here it's being described:
*For digital products, key codes or digital downloads, instructions will typically be sent to you via email in less than one hour. If additional verification is needed for credit card processing, there may be a delay up to a maximum of 48 hours. If you need additional assistance, please contact Newegg Customer Service for help.

Nabs

I'm kind of surprised to see so many people shit on Prototype 2 all while defending Prototype 1. I thought P1 sucked. It got annoying and boring after a few hours, and the story is zzzzzz worthy. Prototype 2 is funny throughout, and has a much better .... everything. The upgrades feel like upgrades, the story is more interesting, the main character is funny as fuck, and the bosses don't make you want to hurt yourself.

Sometimes I feel like I played a different game. Especially when I hear the Heller hate. He's an amazing character, with some of the funniest one-liners.

Wow, that's a great offer. I made the order but no code is available at this point.
Status of my order is "Order Verification". I hope it will work. I used a German Creditcard., because m PayPal Address was not verified, so they said at least at newegg. Never had problems with my PayPal lol.

Edit: Now is Confirmed and in "Packaging". What are they packing, it's a game code. Please don't tell me they ship the code?!

No that's just how newegg does it, it was "packing" my AMD codes back when that had a price error, if they don't cancel it, you should get an email soon with the codes.

cicero

From this guy. It says $16 on the post, but that hasn't included the sale price. If you check his sale list, it has the current price that he is selling for, which is $10.

$16 is the GOG price. $10 is the Steam price. Unfortunately everything is still region blocked, so you can try and buy it, but you accept the risk for bypassing the block through a VPN. $16 was cheap enough for me, plus I love GOG and DRM-Free!

Altima

Shovel Knight is a must-own, buy it for whichever machine you wish. Bear in mind that the PS4 version has some exclusive content, though.

Out of the rest, well, This War of Mine is a survival game and the other two are both turn-based strategy RPGs, so it depends on whether you can justify buying two SRPGs at once. If you can't, get Banner Saga if you already have ShadowRun Returns and haven't finished it, or Dragonfall if you either don't own Returns, or do and have finished it, and also TWOM. I hope that's clear.

Edit: Huh? Why was I thinking about Banner Saga? Yes, get Transistor at that price!

Does This War of mine have story ? or it is endless survival game ?

Dambrosi

Banned
I...think it does? I haven't played it myself, but the streams and playthroughs I've seen seem to suggest that it's one of those "procedurally generated events" games, ie, random stuff happens and the story revolves around you dealing with them.

I could be completely wrong, though.

Oh, and get Banner Saga if you don't have it already. It's gorgeous in practically every way, and it's hella cheap at the moment. You can't go wrong there.

I believe it will but currently it is in Early Access so there's a sandbox type mode. That's my understanding anyway. Have a look at the store page if you haven't already. That plus the buzz about it on here sold me on it.

Laieon

I haven't paid too much attention to this sale, but I'm thinking of picking up Grim Dawn, Transistor, and Deponia: Complete Edition. Are they any good? I don't know too much about them.

Dambrosi

Banned
I believe it will but currently it is in Early Access so there's a sandbox type mode. That's my understanding anyway. Have a look at the store page if you haven't already. That plus the buzz about it on here sold me on it.
Oh, is that what it is? I forgot the game was in EA. That's a major red flag for me.

Not dissing TWOM there, but I don't like buying unfinished games. Even if Ubisoft never learn their lesson, it doesn't mean I can't.

megalowho

Oh, is that what it is? I forgot the game was in EA. That's a major red flag for me.

Not dissing TWOM there, but I don't like buying unfinished games. Even if Ubisoft never learn their lesson, it doesn't mean I can't.
This War of Mine is not in Early Access. It's survival/adventure/sim management with procedural storytelling that unfolds depending on the choices you make.

Dambrosi

Banned
This War of Mine is not in Early Access. It's survival/adventure/sim management with procedural storytelling that unfolds depending on the choices you make.
*Checks Steam client*

So it isn't. So I was right the first time, then? Cool.

Then where did woo and indeed hoo get that idea?

I haven't paid too much attention to this sale, but I'm thinking of picking up Grim Dawn, Transistor, and Deponia: Complete Edition. Are they any good? I don't know too much about them.
GD is a Diablo-like loot RPG, supposedly among the best of its type. Transistor is a turn-based/action SRPG hybrid with cool graphics and music. Deponia is a collection of well-regarded point-and-click adventures, not my type of games so I don't know much about them.

For my own tastes, I'd get Grim Dawn and Transistor, and pass on Deponia, but that's only because i don't like P&Cs. Your mileage may vary.

Dambrosi

Banned
^^^^^^^^^^ I apologise. I completely read This War of Mine as The Long Dark :/.

Thankfully other GAFers were a bit more with it and corrected my mistake.
There's so many survival games these days, they start merging into each other, like the days. :p

I don't know anything about Shadowrun, but I loved The Banner Saga. It ends rather abruptly though.
The Banner Saga is getting a sequel, though, so that'll be why.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of woo and indeed hoo, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (woo and indeed hoo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Long Dark -- MB-CEB9757F39A66CA2 - Taken by Miker. 205 entrants total.

t1419866488z1.png

Altima

I...think it does? I haven't played it myself, but the streams and playthroughs I've seen seem to suggest that it's one of those "procedurally generated events" games, ie, random stuff happens and the story revolves around you dealing with them.

I could be completely wrong, though.

Oh, and get Banner Saga if you don't have it already. It's gorgeous in practically every way, and it's hella cheap at the moment. You can't go wrong there.

I got Banner Sage long ago. The game is really awesome. I cannot wait for the sequel.

There's so many survival games these days, they start merging into each other, like the days. :p

Well that's true but I can't use that as an excuse. Sleep deprivation FTL.

I do find the trend of survival sims to be very interesting from a zeitgeist perspective though. I do think about that sometimes but that's off topic so I'll shut up now :).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
All in all I think this may be the best sale in a while. The Steam Auction was a great way to get some good games for stupidly cheap if you were more into some niche things, the daily/flash deals have had some good games as deals through its course, and there are so many hidden deals and game's being the cheapest they've ever been it's ridiculous.

Best sale since Winter 2011, if you ask me.

MUnited83

For you.
All in all I think this may be the best sale in a while. The Steam Auction was a great way to get some good games for stupidly cheap if you were more into some niche things, the daily/flash deals have had some good games as deals bet its course, and there are so many hidden deals and game's being the cheapest they've ever been it's ridiculous.

Pretty good sale, in my opinion. Best sale since Winter 2011, if you asked me.

I have to completely disagree. So many of my wishlisted games went on a very low discount this time, and I'm talking about games that hit 75%off regularly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have to completely disagree. So many of my wishlisted games went on a very low discount this time, and I'm talking about games that hit 75%off regularly.
I guess it does depend how you look at it. There's also a lot of games that almost never go on sale that have gone the deepest discount that they ever have had this sale, and many amazing games for ridiculously cheap even not as flash/daily deals. And I managed to swipe away the Steam Auctions with 15 games I wanted, 10 of which I got without buying any gems, just crafting what I had from badge making. Good way to clear the inventory as well.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 51 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mr. Luchador, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deus Ex The Fall -- MB-EA41A8ADEFFA8289 - Taken by TheSeks. 20 entrants total.
Towtruck Simulator 2015 -- MB-1C1316B1D99CFD7C
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II: African Units DLC -- MB-AF0FAC6DDE97D9B4 - Taken by XChainfireX. 2 entrants total.
Real Warfare 2: Nothern Crusades -- MB-32490EABA5B19BEA - Taken by topyy. 1 entrants total.
Runespell: Overture -- MB-5F1EAC65C5A1A6BC - Taken by thereisnoif. 3 entrants total.
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition -- MB-B2840A9DCA909132
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II: Retribution Tau Commander All Campaign Wargear TLS Wargear -- MB-13B15B6A5DABC287 - Taken by fallout. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II: The Republic -- MB-C6FA905F9953367B - Taken by Smash88. 6 entrants total.
Last Remnant -- MB-0659B68F69B2B55A - Taken by Gaz Pwnage. 23 entrants total.
Professional Farmer 2014 -- MB-EFB33594AABCD547 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Dark Crusade #2 -- MB-9CC009F68B7709C6 - Taken by autoduelist. 4 entrants total.
Lunar Flight -- MB-E3D4BB04F0498D15 - Taken by kcp12304. 4 entrants total.
IR Companion Pet -- MB-BEAB8B69CE188D6C
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome -- MB-951BD624C3B0D285 - Taken by tebunker. 4 entrants total.
Knights of Pen & Paper Plus1 Edition -- MB-845C8850FCD7FAB7 - Taken by billmcdougal. 4 entrants total.
Year Walk -- MB-57C58C63739C5A6A - Taken by chronomac. 12 entrants total.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising -- MB-008B4752406F1793 - Taken by fspm. 5 entrants total.
Shank -- MB-F3C9D1230D35A042 - Taken by hooijdonk17. 6 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-EC24B8BC6C0A8050 - Taken by Poetic.Injustice. 2 entrants total.
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming -- MB-723D23D0471ECC89
East India Company Gold- -- MB-744B8DA7368A8317
Warhammer 40k: Winter Assault -- MB-92243A1B22767F2B - Taken by Dambrosi. 4 entrants total.
Airport Simulator 2014 -- MB-A4447367EF650C1C - Taken by Sarcasm. 2 entrants total.
Commander: Conquest of the Americas Gold -- MB-9B37B146C823D2DC
Trainz: Murchison 2 -- MB-251DA6F940931C78
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War -- MB-074D257BA0F68236
Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-B18C00523B644EBC - Taken by Gallantioh. 14 entrants total.
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator -- MB-C5DF030FC9599424 - Taken by NihonTiger90. 3 entrants total.
AirMech -- MB-7EE663437C969897 - Taken by NihonTiger90. 2 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 Origin Key -- MB-2A818D8444CB567E - Taken by Sch1sm. 3 entrants total.
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator #2 -- MB-838E95F92C52D152
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Dark Crusade -- MB-3A7E604BB5ABD13E - Taken by Miker. 5 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam -- MB-DBFFD9AF1FBDA26B - Taken by Shalashaska. 5 entrants total.
Roller Coaster Rampage -- MB-0642E738129E77B1 - Taken by Haunted. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II: Russian Unit Pack -- MB-4D1FF5482EE4C577 - Taken by Zeknurn. 3 entrants total.
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-34807D13F1F647CD - Taken by xezuru. 4 entrants total.
Trainz: Classic Cabon City -- MB-61FB3FB8A98CE14E - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
Soul Gambler -- MB-1B20CE9794407F23 - Taken by trailmix16. 2 entrants total.
Off-Road Drive -- MB-B7E61110EF882684 - Taken by ThoughtsOfSpeaking. 1 entrants total.
Warehouse & Logistics Simulator: Hell's Warehouse DLC -- MB-4DEE43A1B27991B1 - Taken by Aaron D.. 1 entrants total.
AirMech Graduation Cap -- MB-060FDF06EF5BE12A
Reign: Conflict of Nations -- MB-2CBE01B3DCE85F9A
Eldritch -- MB-15243455C61F5475 - Taken by The Reloader. 3 entrants total.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-0EE737F130BB7C05 - Taken by dr. apocalipsis. 9 entrants total.
Titan Quest Gold -- MB-9BBAC9C526A63209 - Taken by Merkunt. 6 entrants total.
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Retribution Complete Chapter Pack Bundle -- MB-FE643F92EF779C04 - Taken by Uzzy. 3 entrants total.
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Retribution Last Stand -- MB-264539B7447565ED
Real Warfare 1242 -- MB-A19320D875E5B91A
I Am Vegend Zombiegeddon -- MB-DFD5FFB6EBF071B9
Nosgoth Founders - Warlord Pack -- MB-C711F5F23290135F - Taken by Relaxed Muscle. 2 entrants total.
Trainz: Settle & Carlisle -- MB-9AE7787A1A6C9E44
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- MB-DB972DE4ACC70570 - Taken by rrvv. 5 entrants total.

t1419875972z1.png

Hopefully all keys work, but some have lay dormant for several years in a text file. So apologies if there's a stray dud one in there.

chixdiggit

So Shovel Knight.... I hear all the praise but I am just not sold on it. It looks like Volgar the Viking and I really didn't care much for that. Can somebody explain to me what makes it so great besides the music?

Dambrosi

Banned
THIS WAR OF MINE - better buy directly from site, you get 1 game extra free !!!!

https://11bitlaunchpad.gamesrepublic...true,3038.html

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211400/

DEADLIGHT 1,19€ LOL
Good call on TWOM.

Isn't Deadlight supposed to be....not very good? I didn't even know I owned it until Enhanced Steam told me I did. Thanks Jshackles.

So Shovel Knight.... I hear all the praise but I am just not sold on it. It looks like Volgar the Viking and I really didn't care much for that. Can somebody explain to me what makes it so great besides the music?
No, it's nothing like Volgarr The Viking. Volgarr is more like Rastan Saga to Shovel Knight's Megaman/Castlevania hybrid. It's a lot more forgiving, too :)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Sooo, a difficult one.

The Banner Sage or Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC??

I Kickstarted both and I ended up liking Shadowrun quite a bit more. I've been biased towards that franchise for a good long time though.

Something I'd point out about most recommendations I see for Banner Saga; just about everyone praises the artwork and the music, both of which are gorgeous. But I don't really see a lot about the gameplay mechanics and personally I think Saga doesn't really pull it's disparate systems together into a satisfying whole. It's trying to convey a desperate flight and make all of your choices difficult, but I'm not actually sure you can 'fail' or game over so it's hard to feel the impact of your terrible decisions. I dunno. It's one of those games where I wondered if I wasn't playing it wrong the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom