• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
So Shovel Knight.... I hear all the praise but I am just not sold on it. It looks like Volgar the Viking and I really didn't care much for that. Can somebody explain to me what makes it so great besides the music?

Level Design is just amazing. Boss fights are fun and thought out. Upgrade system is well rounded. Gameplay mechanics are tight. It's like Mega Man and Castlevania had a baby together and this happened. Easily on my top 5 of 2014. I'm also enjoying this better than the classic Mega Man and Castlevania games.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This War of Mine looks interesting.

MUnited83

For you.
I guess it does depend how you look at it. There's also a lot of games that almost never go on sale that have gone the deepest discount that they ever have had this sale, and many amazing games for ridiculously cheap even not as flash/daily deals. And I managed to swipe away the Steam Auctions with 15 games I wanted, 10 of which I got without buying any gems, just crafting what I had from badge making. Good way to clear the inventory as well.

Oh, the auction was great. I got so many great niche games for much cheaper than they have ever been on sale.

The sale itself is what's underwhelming.

I'm kind of surprised to see so many people shit on Prototype 2 all while defending Prototype 1. I thought P1 sucked. It got annoying and boring after a few hours, and the story is zzzzzz worthy. Prototype 2 is funny throughout, and has a much better .... everything. The upgrades feel like upgrades, the story is more interesting, the main character is funny as fuck, and the bosses don't make you want to hurt yourself.

Sometimes I feel like I played a different game. Especially when I hear the Heller hate. He's an amazing character, with some of the funniest one-liners.
Prototype 1 was all I ever knew of the series, I loved it actually. Now is my first time looking into Prototype 2, reviews say it built the fighting and upgrades system over the first game but that the overall gameplay formula was quite stake in comparison and that it had issuing where you would start leaning more on using heavy artillery vehicles as opposed to your powers and the console versions seem to have a horrible fog all over everything (idk if the pc version does too) .

I enjoyed 1's style and the humor in 2nseema up y alley, so I'll snag 2. Thanks everyone for their input.

kudoboi

man.. valve and their new restrictions. i bought 2 TF2 keys to buy a game only to realize its only tradable after the 5th of jan.

Does anyone else use Steam mobile app?

Sucker opens itself all the time, flood task manager with repeated windows and sometimes refuses to close.

Am I alone with this behaviour?

Sucker opens itself all the time, flood task manager with repeated windows and sometimes refuses to close.

I used it constantly over the last week when I was out and about to check on sales and buy things, had zero problems. This was the android version of the mobile application.

kudoboi

the 1st and last thing happens to me all the time. the app is automatically started when you get a new steam email

kcp12304

Banned
Wolfenstein went down to 20 during the Game Awards Sale. Expect it to go down to that price at least. GMG had it at $16 a few days ago but I think that deal is gone.

Have it on my Galaxy tab and damn thing starts itself up at least once a day. No idea why but I wish it'd stop. Not for any serious reason. Just hate seeing the steam window in the notification bar. I like it clean.

Man, woke up 10 minutes too late for that CS:GO deal, it seems.

As for the new flash sales, Dirt 3 is, from what I've seen, an alright game. Better than Showdown was.

Spyware

All in all I think this may be the best sale in a while. The Steam Auction was a great way to get some good games for stupidly cheap if you were more into some niche things, the daily/flash deals have had some good games as deals through its course, and there are so many hidden deals and game's being the cheapest they've ever been it's ridiculous.

Best sale since Winter 2011, if you ask me.

I agree! Plus the fact that there are no repeats (yet, and it's unlikely to change now) make every sale update a bit more interesting. You know it's gonna be something new and not Magicka and Alan Wake for the third time in three days. ;)

So Shovel Knight.... I hear all the praise but I am just not sold on it. It looks like Volgar the Viking and I really didn't care much for that. Can somebody explain to me what makes it so great besides the music?

Do you like old-school Mega Man style platformers? Shovel Knight has elements of those games in it mixed with bits of Zelda II. Or at least that's what it felt like to me. I liked it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
should I get shovel knight?

I got 16 bucks in my Steam wallet, I don't know if I want to spend ten on SK when other good stuff might be going on sale

I agree! Plus the fact that there are no repeats (yet, and it's unlikely to change now) make every sale update a bit more interesting. You know it's gonna be something new and not Magicka and Alan Wake for the third time in three days. ;)

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed this sale too. There were a lot of small gems that went for next to nothing, and it was a lot of fun collecting those. I got;

Castle Crashers
Trine Enchanted Edition
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
FTL
Mark of the Ninja
To The Moon

And for all that, I think I paid about a McDonald's meal worth of money. I can't complain, at all.

What phone

Galaxy S5.

It also opens the chat, so sometimes people write to me at my 5am. I can't put it on offline mode either.

Then, sometimes, I receive multiple repeated lines when using the chat. And when I change tabs on the phone, it creates a new entry on the android task manager everytime.

Have been like this also on my old phone at initial beta launch. Do Valve bother with is app at all?

Good to know I'm not alone.

should I get shovel knight?

I got 16 bucks in my Steam wallet, I don't know if I want to spend ten on SK when other good stuff might be going on sale

I would go for it unless you don't like the Mega Man style platformer at all, Htown. Well put together game all around. What else were you thinking of picking up?

Galaxy S5.

It also opens the chat, so sometimes people write to me at my 5am. I can't put it on offline mode either.

Then, sometimes, I receive multiple repeated lines when using the chat. And when I change tabs on the phone, it creates a new entry on the android task manager everytime.

Have been like this also on my old phone at initial beta launch. Do Valve bother with is app at all?

looks like an Android problem just like the other guy posted above

not seeing it on iPhone

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a good feeling on today's deals.

After this next deal-set, only two more unique dailies and 5 more flash sales.

How good is the Divinity: OS DLCs? Golden Grail and Zandalor's Trunks.

I haven't played D:OS yet and probably won't for a while, not sure if I should buy this sale version at $26 or wait until a GOTY edition is released next year with the DLCs bundled in.

Spyware

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed this sale too. There were a lot of small gems that went for next to nothing, and it was a lot of fun collecting those. I got;

Castle Crashers
Trine Enchanted Edition
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
FTL
Mark of the Ninja
To The Moon

And for all that, I think I paid about a McDonald's meal worth of money. I can't complain, at all.
I like all of those games a lot, good taste! :D

Borrowed from the community thread, might be of interest:
Indie Gala "Every Monday 39" Bundle

Pay $1.89 or more (ONLY FIRST 24h)

• Stick it to The Man + TRADING CARDS
  • Heileen 2: The Hands Of Fate + TRADING CARDS
  • White Noise Online + TRADING CARDS
  • Return to Mysterious Island 2
  • Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy
  • Amerzone: The Explorer’s Legacy
  • Salammbô: Battle for Carthage
  • Leviathan: The Last Day of the Decade

Another new bundle:

Bundle Stars Born2Race Bundle

$1 for the first 24 hours
  • Race Injection
  • Little Racers STREET (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
  • Mini Motor Racing EVO (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
  • Race On
  • Pressure (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
  • Street Racing Syndicate
  • RACE: The WTCC Game + Caterham Expansion

Real4Life

Neo Member
Difficult?! Get both, jeez. They're less than a movie ticket.

If you can only have one: which do you like more, Norse mythology or cyberpunk?

Yeah, it wasn't really about the money. They're both very cheap and undoubtedly fun. I don't have a lot of time though, hence the choice. Pretty sure when I get both one of them will be lying around doing nothing.

As for my preference, I like cyberpunk! Thanks for your advice!

I don't know anything about Shadowrun, but I loved The Banner Saga. It ends rather abruptly though.

Thanks, much appreciated!

I Kickstarted both and I ended up liking Shadowrun quite a bit more. I've been biased towards that franchise for a good long time though.

Something I'd point out about most recommendations I see for Banner Saga; just about everyone praises the artwork and the music, both of which are gorgeous. But I don't really see a lot about the gameplay mechanics and personally I think Saga doesn't really pull it's disparate systems together into a satisfying whole. It's trying to convey a desperate flight and make all of your choices difficult, but I'm not actually sure you can 'fail' or game over so it's hard to feel the impact of your terrible decisions. I dunno. It's one of those games where I wondered if I wasn't playing it wrong the entire time.

That's an interesting view on the Banner Saga. I loved Bastion for example (I know, totally different game) for precisely these reasons. The artwork and music are fantastic, but the gameplay (while fun isn't especially engaging). Thanks a lot for your answer. I guess I'll go for Shadowrun now and pick up the Banner Saga later.

Steam has become a problem for me. I'm sitting here staring at the clock, just waiting for the new sales even though I know I'm dead broke and have no right buying more games. Is there a support group for this thing?

Barbarian

Steam has become a problem for me. I'm sitting here staring at the clock, just waiting for the new sales even though I know I'm dead broke and have no right buying more games. Is there a support group for this thing?

Support group to stop buying cheap games? I think this thread is pretty much the opposite of that!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not really zero signs

It's not in progress: the app hasn't been updated outside of Valve's general tinkering in a very long time. Codemasters' reassurance that it is, though, is itself somewhat reassuring.

Enco

This War of Mine seems pretty awesome so far.

Only on day 12 (I think) but things are already starting to get rocky.

Not sure if it's the kind of game that would be really fun to play over and over but we'll see!

Does the game have a deadline after X days or can you keep playing until death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom