• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayvic

I think I did really good this year holding off on new games. Added wolfenstein to the backlog just now. Any thoughts on games I should move from the second category into the first? Or the other way around?

n6T1RPr.png
q0OGb7K.png

I think I did really good this year holding off on new games. Added wolfenstein to the backlog just now. Any thoughts on games I should move from the second category into the first? Or the other way around?

Put Tales of Monkey Island in the backlog. Ep 1 and 2 are just ok, but Episode 3-5 are really great.

Spyware

With a huge backlog and my goal of 2015 to focus on games that are beatable I really shouldn't want Gang Beasts... but I can't stop thinking about it!
If it was a bit cheaper I would buy it without even thinking but now it's above the impulse threshold and the nagging feeling that I don't have time for it so I shouldn't spend this much money on it is hindering the mashing of the buy button. Grumble.

Dyna

n6T1RPr.png
q0OGb7K.png

Move the Oddworld games, Deus Ex and the Monkey Island games to your backlog, put Crysis 2 to the other category and dump Rage to its own "never play this" category.

I don't know why but Transistor didn't click with me like Bastion did. Can't really explain why, I liked the art, music, and gameplay and that's usually enough for me to like a game *shrugs*

My problems with it are:

*The completely linear structure bored me. No choices, no exploration, nothing. Just linear sequences of repetitive battles. Now I might have mised som parts, since I beat it in less then 4h and howlongtobeat has it in 6h, but I felt that I was always pushed in one direction.
*It's definitely one of the most stylish games I've seen, but too many locations looked the same. You got no feel of progress or variation.
*Did I mention that the battles got really repetitive?

Hayvic

Move the Oddworld games, Deus Ex and the Monkey Island games to your backlog, put Crysis 2 to the other category and dump Rage to its own "never play this" category.

Put Tales of Monkey Island in the backlog. Ep 1 and 2 are just ok, but Episode 3-5 are really great.

Thanks guys. I played the original monkey island games way back. Same goes for Abe's exodus. I got them out of nostalgia. The Abe games have not aged very well I feel. The platforming is kinda clunky and old me can't handle the difficulty spikes. I will move tales of monkey island per your advice. And is Rage really that bad?

Sini

n6T1RPr.png
q0OGb7K.png
Everything is great but Crysis Wars (Gamespy is dead), Dead island (Generally unliked here, but can be lots of fun with friend actually) and Shoot Many Robots (Supposedly grindy and difficult later in game)

marrec

Banned
It's going to be free if you already own Don't Starve

It's well worth the price to pay for early access if you ask me. I paid 5 bucks for it and have 0 regrets. Amazing addition to the game that has added dozens of hours to my total play time.

Haunted

Then add Street Fighter IV in a new "play with friends" category, Max Payne 3 into "never play this" and put Rage back into the backlog again.

Bought A Bird Story. First game got during the sale. I didn't love To The Moon as much as everyone else, but I enjoyed it enough to check out the dude's newest work.

So, are the Half Life expansions (Blue Shift & Opposing Forces) worth it? Do they add anything new to the first game, or can I live without them?

It's amazing how they're both more expensive than the base game.

Double

n6T1RPr.png
q0OGb7K.png
Braid is awesome and kinda short, you should play it!

RoadDogg

So, are the Half Life expansions (Blue Shift & Opposing Forces) worth it? Do they add anything new to the first game, or can I live without them?

I still enjoy playing both but I feel like I played a HL2 version of Opposing Forces a year or two ago that was complete, so that could be a free option if it does actually exist. But if you enjoy HL1, you should probably just get them already.

It's a shame they got rid of the retro bundle for Shadowgate so quickly, otherwise I probably would have bought it. I was more interested in having Deja Vu on Steam then I am in Shadowgate.

Uthred

Feels like 66% is the new 75% and the smaller number of games on sales, even without repeats (so far), makes the sale feel fairly lacklustre

I really recommend Splinter Cell Blacklist, not only is it one of the best Splinter Cell games, it is also better than any stealth game released in the last two or three years (except for Dishonored)

eot

Banned

Opposing Force: yes.
It's a fantastic expansion pack, provided you like Half-Life.
Blue Shift is forgettable though.

How is Wolfenstein? Is it long? Worth the 22 dollars?
It looks like a solid shooter but I don't know too much about it.

I heard its like 15-20 hrs in length and a solid campaign, that sounds worth it for me for $20

and fucking hell at this 40 gb download, this is going to take some time

Ludovico

Banner Saga is currently showing as 5 bucks, does anyone know if it's been cheaper at any point in the sale?

Thinking of picking that up (worth a fiver?), Transistor, and Stanley Parable today.

MMMMaayyybbbeee Shadowgate, if it'll run on a tablet...

Pezus

Banner Saga is currently showing as 5 bucks, does anyone know if it's been cheaper at any point in the sale?

Thinking of picking that up (worth a fiver?), Transistor, and Stanley Parable today.

MMMMaayyybbbeee Shadowgate, if it'll run on a tablet...

Banner Saga is currently a flash deal (ending in 10 hours). It won't go lower this sale

Enco

How is Wolfenstein? Is it long? Worth the 22 dollars?
It looks like a solid shooter but I don't know too much about it.
It's GOTY for me.

Refreshing and really fun and interesting. Can't remember the length but it doesn't outstay its welcome. Maybe 9 hours?

How is the Banner Saga? Haven't really paid it any attention until now.
I haven't finished it yet but it's pretty cool. Best part is how your decisions supposedly have big effects. Combat is pretty fun and tense too. I get lost with the story but that's probabaly just me. I stopped playingn because I got bored but I need to get back into it.

It's like an interactive story book.

Helmholtz

It's GOTY for me.

Refreshing and really fun and interesting. Can't remember the length but it doesn't outstay its welcome. Maybe 9 hours?
I heard its like 15-20 hrs in length and a solid campaign, that sounds worth it for me for $20
and fucking hell at this 40 gb download, this is going to take some time
One of my favorite games of the year and easily worth $22.
Okay cool, thanks for responses. Sounds like it's worth it so I'm going to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom