• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water

Is oes Shadowgrounds + Shadowground Survivor for $2 worth it? They appear to be iso dual stick shooters, correct?
Shadowgrounds easily worth it. Great music and action. It's not a twin-stick shooter, it has responsive KB+M controls. I don't even know if it supports gamepads. Shadowgrounds: Survivor seemed like pointless reheated leftovers and I chose not to finish it. It has trading cards though so you get some of your money back just from idling the cards.

drakaenae

Reposting these, Risk of rain keys should still work, but may not work cuz they're from the humble bundle
ModBot said:
Instructions for drakaenae:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (drakaenae, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Coldfire Keep -- MB-CE3110FBB85C2BB4 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Into the Dark Ultimate Trash Edition -- MB-90E4A0DD910F7EE3 - Taken by jakomocha
Sacraboar -- MB-33F2CE1263C16C07 - Taken by Dingotech
Risk of Rain #1 -- MB-4AE4B6E411B6899F - Taken by Pezus
Risk of Rain #2 -- MB-FF8628700942FF1B - Taken by Rawket Lawnchair
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-1B446ADEAA225A6F - Taken by kcp12304
Frozen Hearth -- MB-E1202577B4E1BC05

Decado

How does Mercenary Kings work with online or LAN co-op?

Some indie games like Risk of Rain or Terraria make connecting to a co-op buddy a chore (haven't gotten online co-op to work on either). Does it have a simple menu or just a steam invite?

thanks

Helmholtz

Bought Wolfenstein and Divinity. Know very little about both besides the positive receptions, pretty excited! But wow, 44gb for Wolfenstein.
Between getting those and Shovel Knight I think I'm just about done for this sale unless something magical pops up in the next couple days.
The deals weren't mind blowing this time around, but good enough for me to pick up a few cool games for the price of one.

Dambrosi

Banned
I'm gonna pull the trigger on Transistor w/Soundtrack, The Stanley Parable and (probably) Wolfenstein: TNO, they're already in my cart. Just waiting to get paid in the early morning.

Edit: Wolfenstein is 44GB?! Wowzers. Well, at least it ain't FFXIII.

Think I'm probably done unless there's a good $2.50 game I don't own or there's some insane other deal on something I don't have. Everything else I can wait for - my backlog is big enough as it is. Especially with WoW taking up a decent amount of time each week.

FoneBone

Think I'm probably done unless there's a good $2.50 game I don't own or there's some insane other deal on something I don't have. Everything else I can wait for - my backlog is big enough as it is. Especially with WoW taking up a decent amount of time each week.

Ditto. Unless the Prince of Persia series goes on sale, in my case.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Do we have even a single person here willing to defend Mercenary Kings? Weird how the opinion on GAF is universally negative (at least among the posts I found) but it has positive reviews on Steam.

Assuming I am okay with the game not being a new Metal Slug, is it at all worth looking at if I don't think I'll be playing much mulitplayer?

Sucks about Luftrausers.

At least I don't have to spend any money today.

Hmm..holy smokes.
My review of that game went from like 8/9 votes to 43/45.

chixdiggit

Do we have even a single person here willing to defend Mercenary Kings? Weird how the opinion on GAF is universally negative (at least among the posts I found) but it has positive reviews on Steam.

Assuming I am okay with the game not being a new Metal Slug, is it at all worth looking at if I don't think I'll be playing much mulitplayer?

On paper it's an awesome game and I really wanted to like it. Sadly I just didn't have any fun with it. If you are looking for something along the same lines Metal Slug, Bro Force, and Super Time Force Ultra are much better choices.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I put an hour into it on ps4 and never wanted to touch it again. Nice idea marrying the crafting and progression of a monster hunter game with the look of metal slug, but it didn't seem to come together well. The jumping felt awkward, and even as a mh fan I wasn't compelled by the stages or bosses to press on.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I AM SO CONFUSED BY MERCENARY KINGS.

76 metacritic and very positive according to the Steam page.

And I have never heard or read a single positive opinion on the game. I've watched at least a few videos of the game and everybody turned up saying "Meh." The most positive recommendations on here are essentially saying it probably won't kill your puppy.

tmarg

I haven't played it, but the art is amazing, which I'm sure gets it at least some positive reviews. I'll probably pick it up eventually when it gets cheap enough.

Coppanuva

Anyone got opinions on Theme Park Studio? I know it's the lowest I've been and I'm curious to try it out, but wanted some opinions on it.

Card Boy

Banned
Mercenary Kings is one of those games you have to play to know its shit. It looks cool like that Scott Pilgrim game but its like a worse version of Monster Hunter with respawning enemies and the controls seem off.

Dingotech

I AM SO CONFUSED BY MERCENARY KINGS.

I got it for free on PS+ and I'm a very open person to indie and any type of game. I played it for 2 hours online with my brother and by the end I absolutely hated it!

It has hugely repetitive gameplay, boring maps, dumb gameplay design like bosses warping all around a map and you chasing him... and loads of other things.

Steer clear IMO.

I got it for free on PS+ and I'm a very open person to indie and any type of game. I played it for 2 hours online with my brother and by the end I absolutely hated it!

It has hugely repetitive gameplay, boring maps, dumb gameplay design like bosses warping all around a map and you chasing him... and loads of other things.

Steer clear IMO.

Yeah I played it on PS4, thought it was absolute garbage. Really wouldn't recommend it

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The fact that I can't get a single positive opinion on Mercenary Kings makes me want to play it more. It's a relatively well-reviewed game, at some point the odds start leaning towards me liking it, right? If nobody on GAF likes it, and SOME people like it, in theory, that's how statistics work right?

Dingotech

The fact that I can't get a single positive opinion on Mercenary Kings makes me want to play it more. It's a relatively well-reviewed game, at some point the odds start leaning towards me liking it, right? If nobody on GAF likes it, and SOME people like it, in theory, that's how statistics work right?

There are loads of boring people out there that seem to like it. :p

AndyD

aka andydumi

Steer clear IMO.

Yeah I played it on PS4, thought it was absolute garbage. Really wouldn't recommend it

I echo these. While it's not completely awful, some of the design choices like odd enemy respawning and weak maps really bring it down. I would keep clear because there's many more better games out there.

I'm tempted to get Mercenary Kings just to see for myself.

But if I wanted to play Metal Slug, I'd play Metal Slug.
If I wanted to play Monster Hunter, I'd play Metal Slug.

Haunted

It makes a very good first impression thanks to Paul Robertson's excellent pixel art and animation. In theory, it's a great idea for a game. Think the overall mission structure and equipment progression of Monster Hunter paired with classic 2D sidescrolling shooter gameplay. It's solid on paper, but the longer you play, the more you recognise its flaws.

Specifically, I think the problem is that Monster Hunter manages to make its highly repetitive nature (a handful of maps, few enemy mobs, fighting a limited number of bosses time and time again) palatable by falling back on absolutely excellent monster and combat design and a tight balance between exciting content (boss fights!) and downtime (crafting, collecting, traversal). Learning a monster pattern is rewarding, while the AI is varied enough to make fights feel fresh even after many attempts.

Mercenary Kings does not achieve this balance.

TSM

My main issue with is is the terrible level design. It's nothing but going through "doors" to get to different points on the map. The actual traversal is terrible, and every mission has you trekking through at least half the map. It's tedious to say the least.

I think this relates more to how much time they put into the game reviewing it. It's fantastic on paper, and the first couple hours are fun just because of the awesome pixel art.

Enco

Really loving This War of Mine.

Lost one of my group members and damn that was sad :'( I took revenge a few days later and murdered the people who did it. One of them begged for his life but I was full of rage. Their supplies really helped.

But she's still dead...

Think I'm going to have to update my GOTY list and add This War of Mine.

chixdiggit

Really loving This War of Mine.

Lost one of my group members and damn that was sad :'( I took revenge a few days later and murdered the people who did it. One of them begged for his life but I was full of rage. Their supplies really helped.

But she's still dead...

Think I'm going to have to update my GOTY list and add This War of Mine.

Seems really interesting. Is Steam the cheapest price? Edit: it is.
Kind of gives me a Metro 2033 vibe that I like.

AxeMan

Can someone explain to me why the current Don't Starve MEGA PACK is showing a price for Don't Starve Together.

Looking at the EA details for DST it says I'll get it free if I have DS. So they are making me pay for EA access?

Is the right?

Volcynika

Can someone explain to me why the current Don't Starve MEGA PACK is showing a price for Don't Starve Together.

Looking at the EA details for DST it says I'll get it free if I have DS. So they are making me pay for EA access?

Is the right?

If you want it now, you pay. If you wait for it to leave early access, you get it free. (Provided you own Don't Starve) Guessing this is more to just encourage people actively interested in giving feedback on it during its EA period.

Enco

Already played it for over 4 hours today :lol

Very few games pass the 1 hour mark for me so I'm impressed.

Hopefully the game stays fun and interesting for a while yet. So far so good.

edit: another thing I like about the game is the use of real photos for the characters. Makes them feel more real. Katia is the person I lost:
120px-Katia.jpg

AxeMan

If you want it now, you pay. If you wait for it to leave early access, you get it free. (Provided you own Don't Starve) Guessing this is more to just encourage people actively interested in giving feedback on it during its EA period.

I think I get that but I can buy the other two items in the MEGA PACK, the game and the Reign of Giants DLC, for the same discounted price that they are in the PACK.

If I do that it'll be cheaper and I get Together for free later.

I can't work out if I'm missing something with all of this or not.

City 17

SteamGAF a quick question

re the recent changes in region locking/gifting policies: if someone is in a region not officially supported by steam, but he somehow sends someone in US the money so that he would receive the items he would have wanted to buy in return (as gifts)... would it work or not?

This War of Mine really is fantastic. It manages to use all of its mechanics to reinforce its core concept: preservation of conscience versus perseverance of life. The roguelike elements of survival, permadeath, & randomized areas/resources (+ party members) helps to make it engrssing every session. On top of all this, the game introduces a grim truth when you're on the cusp of defeat...

It's always great when art games have legitimate gameplay as well.

chixdiggit

Already played it for over 4 hours today :lol

Very few games pass the 1 hour mark for me so I'm impressed.

Hopefully the game stays fun and interesting for a while yet. So far so good.

edit: another thing I like about the game is the use of real photos for the characters. Makes them feel more real. Katia is the person I lost:
120px-Katia.jpg

This War of Mine really is fantastic. It manages to use all of its mechanics to reinforce its core concept: preservation of conscience versus perseverance of life. The roguelike elements of survival, permadeath, & randomized areas/resources (+ party members) helps to make it engrssing every session. On top of all this, the game introduces a grim truth when you're on the cusp of defeat...

It's always great when art games have legitimate gameplay as well.

OK you guys got me. Sold. Man I really need to stop buying stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom