• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Putting EVGA Precision on the Steam store is kind of an awful idea now that I've downloaded and installed it.

It's a utility. It's supposed to be always running in the background. No, I would not like it to constantly rack up "playtime" hours as long as it's running -_-.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Putting EVGA Precision on the Steam store is kind of an awful idea now that I've downloaded and installed it.

It's a utility. It's supposed to be always running in the background. No, I would not like it to constantly rack up "playtime" hours as long as it's running -_-.

What.

It even has achievements. This is ridiculous. How many people have toasted their GPUs trying to hit 2000MHz?

SteamGAF help me.

I've heard bad things about Wolfenstein: TNO and The Evil Within's performance on AMD GPUs.

How would the performance be on my rig for both of these games?

AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
1680x1050 resolution

madjoki

SteamGAF help me.

I've heard bad things about Wolfenstein: TNO and The Evil Within's performance on AMD GPUs.

How would the performance be on my rig for both of these games?

AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
1680x1050 resolution

Wolfenstein TNO works fine with HD 6870 @ 1920x1200. (iirc. 40-50fps on medium)
Evil Within is unplayable at 20-30 fps.

Edit: i7 3960x / 16GB ram, but that shouldn't affect frame rate.

Wolfenstein TNO works fine with HD 6870 @ 1920x1200. (iirc. 40-50fps on medium)
Evil Within is unplayable at 20-30 fps.

Edit: i7 3960x / 16GB ram, but that shouldn't affect frame rate.
Isn't the 7870 more powerful than the 6870 though?

Either way, thanks for your for feedback.

Actually from my experience with MSI Afterburner at least, you can quit the program after applying the overclock and it will stick (until reboot), so you don't have to keep it running.

Very surprised to hear it's on the Steam store though...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Stanley Parable any good? Worth $4.50? I tried the demo but heard it's nothing like the game.
The demo doesn't have the same content as the game but gives a pretty good example of what you can expect. I think it's good fun if you like replaying short games to experience different outcomes. If you enjoyed the way the demo went you'll like the full game.

HoosTrax

Actually from my experience with MSI Afterburner at least, you can quit the program after applying the overclock and it will stick (until reboot), so you don't have to keep it running.

Very surprised to hear it's on the Steam store though...
I use Afterburner to have the OSD up and running to see framerates and temps when I'm in-game.

Which, ironically I cannot figure out how to do with EVGA Precision because I can't find the "power-user" menu that shows you the old-school Rivatuner dialogs.

feel

A bunch of you need to buy Stanley Parable so that it inevitably shows up on the next Humble Indie Bundle in a week or two, pissing you all off and making my wait pay off. Thanks.

How is Two Worlds II? It's $1.99. I remember Dennis singing its praises. I have made out like a bandit this sale, so I'm about to say, what the hell, and pick it up.

Miker

How does Blacklist compare to Conviction and Chaos Theory?

Compared to Conviction? Favorably. It's built on top of Conviction, so it's really got everything that Conviction has and more. Except for stylish sweater Sam, which I sorely missed in Blacklist. It has better level design, more gadgets, and more choice in general. It's a solid entry and one of the better stealth games in recent memory. Also, the multiplayer (Spies vs. Mercs - classic, not blacklist) is awesome if you can find people to play with.

Compared to Chaos Theory? I'd still give the edge to Chaos Theory, because Chaos Theory has more elements of an immersive sim. If you've never played CT before, it has some elements in common with the old Thief and Deus Ex games in that you physically log into computers, you actually punch in key codes, etc. It also has, hands down, the best goddamn door system in games. Compared to Blacklist, it's just so much more ambitious, and I think comparing the two shows just how different the current Ubisoft is versus its older self. Anyway, the downside of CT is that movement is clunkier, and the game is just a bit more awkward to handle overall.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does anyone want to go in on a four-pack of Mercenary Kings? I also have 2 spare copies of Space Engineers.

PM me if you're down! I'll be the one to actually purchase the game, if you want.

Spyware

How is Two Worlds II? It's $1.99. I remember Dennis singing its praises. I have made out like a bandit this sale, so I'm about to say, what the hell, and pick it up.
I reviewed it when it came out (on console) and really didn't like it at all. It's not a horrible game. It does work and have a few good ideas. It just felt like a waste of time. I heard the PC version have horrible DRM too, but that's not first hand info so take that with a grain of salt.

Corpekata

Banned
Two Worlds 2 is worth experiencing simply for 2 things:

1. The utterly bored and frustrated main character. Everyone is so serious but you play a really sarcastic asshole with some great responses

2. The utterly weird and breakable magic system. I don't even know how to explain it really just that you can create some really weird and varied magic in the game. Calls to mind things like Morrowind's absurd potions and enchants.

Two Worlds 2 is worth experiencing simply for 2 things:

1. The utterly bored and frustrated main character. Everyone is so serious but you play a really sarcastic asshole with some great responses

2. The utterly weird and breakable magic system. I don't even know how to explain it really just that you can create some really weird and varied magic in the game. Calls to mind things like Morrowind's absurd potions and enchants.

Yep.

I remember making a spell that causes anvils to rain from the sky.
Fun stuff.

Quietly I might have spent more money this sale than any Steam sale in the past few years. Too many great games, throw 'em on the backlog! :D

- Defense Grid 2
- South Park
- Luftrausers
- Endless Legend
- CS GO
- Dark Souls 2
- Bulletstorm
- Shadow Warrior

Red Faction: Guerrilla's physics & destruction system is the future. Why has every game ever not adopted it? Why didn't Red Faction: Armageddon? :(

Really glad I pulled the trigger on RFG before the flash deal ended.
Yep.

I remember making a spell that causes anvils to rain from the sky.
Fun stuff.

Welp, time to pick up where I left off... right after the tutorial.

Altima

30 % of This war of mine seem like to be my favorite game but 70 % is really not my cup of tea : /

I think I will go to buy Don't Starve together to play with my friends instead.

Oh man wolferstein is so good so far just
rescued the nurse and started at the next nazi base
A lot of good scenes so far and fun combat. Just the whole idea of alternate WW2 history is fun again, reminds me of Resistance 1(but better obviously)

madjoki

Red Faction: Guerrilla's physics & destruction system is the future. Why has every game ever not adopted it? Why didn't Red Faction: Armageddon? :(

I'd assume because it's harder (thus making it more costly) to make map where destruction makes sense, without breaking scripted sequences.
Sense as in there aren't some random indestructible buildings, because related to story, which can also cause limitations in story telling.

As cool as they sound, they aren't really suitable for every game.

theJohann

Doesn't Armageddon use the same physics system as Guerrilla? The main issue I had with Armageddon was the way it constricted almost everything into dark, monotonous caves.

Soule

Really loving This War of Mine.

Lost one of my group members and damn that was sad :'( I took revenge a few days later and murdered the people who did it. One of them begged for his life but I was full of rage. Their supplies really helped.

But she's still dead...

Think I'm going to have to update my GOTY list and add This War of Mine.

A mate of mine was saying how much he liked it... I didn't wanna spend more money this sale but the game sounds soooo good, gonna fuel up and add it in with transistor and unless there's a few more hidden gems around I'm pretty much set for like the next year xD

Blacklist just doesn't have enough levels. Single player was pretty fun, but my friend and I got sick of COOP early on due to the lack of levels. We didn't get sick of the game mechanics...overall it plays pretty solid (minus the typical crap that comes with 3rd person cover shooters). When I got it, it was $4.50 on the humble bundle store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom