• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

It's not that the sales suck persay but that everyone else has caught up. Greenman Gaming, Amazon, Good Old Games, and others have really made the field much more competitive.

If they merely had caught up, then the percentages would be similar, which they aren't. Steam sales seem to have fewer and fewer large discounts percentage wise, they are clearly being undercut by other sellers with larger discounts.

explodet

Between This War of Mine, Papers Please and Banished my PC collection is quickly becoming the Place of Miserable Experiences.
(After this holiday you can probably throw You Need a Budget into there too)

Tizoc

Just an FYI that some regions do NOT have the Dragon Age bundle that's a daily/flash atm, Both DA Origins and Awakening are seperate entries on Steam and they are $4.99 each.

Zombine

Banned
"Hey let me launch up the steam app and see what's on sale."
"Oh wow! Witcher 2 for that cheap? I don't own that yet! Fuck yes!"
"This item is in your inventory"
"Oh..."

Two months in as a pc owner and it's already started.

womp

METAL SLUG IS A DAILY ON STEAM, GRAB DAT ISH PEOPLE!
YOU WANT SOME OF THE BEST CO-OP GAMES EVER? GET IN ON DAT SLUG BOYS AND GIRLS!

Someone asked about Alice Madness Returns here correct?
It's a platformer action game, with an impressive visual design, decent combat and gameplay but oh god are the chapters/stages LONG. Like 'I SPENT AN HOUR IN THIS STAGE AND YOU TELLIN' ME I'M JUST HALFWAY THERE' long.
The length is its main negative but it is worth a 1 time playthrough at least
Also dat Hair.

I snagged Alice and have had nothing but problems. I fixed the crashing after the intro but now it is dropping me to the desktop and minimizing itself....WTF.

How good is Wasteland 2 now? At launch I read a decent amount of impressions suggesting the game was quite buggy, and some other issues as well (balance between weapons). How much is this fixed? The game looks really cool, but I'm wondering if I should wait till the next sale to buy it cheaper and in a better state.

It has gotten four patches so far, iirc. I played it after the third and didn't encounter any major glitches. They've ironed out most of it.

It's a great RPG with really good writing. It's one of few games that actually has a better second half than first too; at least in my opinion. If you enjoy Fallout 1 and 2, Wasteland 2 is a must play.

2014 has been one of the best years ever when it comes to RPGs. Might & Magic X, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut. Dead State isn't too bad either, though I'd avoid that until they've patched it some more. Next year might be even better! It's a good time to be a RPG fan.

Is Blacklist any good? I was thinking about buying it with all this trading card money.

I've heard people compare it to Chaos Theory but from what I've seen of the game being played I don't see it and it basically just looks like Conviction(which I hated).

It has gotten four patches so far, iirc. I played it after the third and didn't encounter any major glitches. They've ironed out most of it.

It's a great RPG with really good writing. It's one of few games that actually has a better second half than first too; at least in my opinion. If you enjoy Fallout 1 and 2, Wasteland 2 is a must play.

2014 has been one of the best years ever when it comes to RPGs. Might & Magic X, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut. Dead State isn't too bad either, though I'd avoid that until they've patched it some more. Next year might be even better! It's a good time to be a RPG fan.

Man that makes me wish I had an extra twenty bucks lying around, I'm a huge FO1 and 2 fan.

Is Blacklist any good? I was thinking about buying it with all this trading card money.

I've heard people compare it to Chaos Theory but from what I've seen of the game being played I don't see it and it basically just looks like Conviction(which I hated).

Man that makes me wish I had an extra twenty bucks lying around, I'm a huge FO1 and 2 fan.

Huge fan of Chaos Theory. Blacklist is good but different. It's a mixture of CT and Conviction with more of an emphasis on staying out of the line of sight rather than hiding in shadows.

Hated DA/Conviction, was pleasantly surprised with and really enjoyed Blacklist.

Ladekabel

Final Fantasy XIII for 6,49€. Yay or Nay?

I know about the game's reputation but I'm interested. Heard of technical issues. Are these fixed yet?

Lanark

Awesome, I will definitely get it then. Already got Divinity and a ton of other games this sale, so now only to find the time to play it.

Durante

steamgoty2014bysz2.png

Lol.

Final Fantasy XIII for 6,49€. Yay or Nay?

I know about the game's reputation but I'm interested. Heard of technical issues. Are these fixed yet?
The technical issues (random drops to 30 FPS) aren't fixed.

As for the game, FFXIII-2 is much better.

Amzin

Anyone played both Testament of Sherlock Holmes and the new Crimes & Punishment? I liked Testament and wondering if C&P is better or the same. $20 is about what I was waiting for.

womp

All holiday cards expire in 72h. There's ~50k of each on the market, it'll be a race to the bottom before they all just vanish.

Yeah, I've been selling mine as I have gotten them throughout the sale run...Not really interested in the whole Christmas 2014 badge thing.

How are FF3 and FF4? Worth buying? Either dramatically better than the other?

During the recent FF marathon on twitch, one of the streamers played FF3 PC.

For whatever reason his game broke and he lost all his progress. The person he is streaming with gave him a save, but that broke as well. He had to skip the game to continue with the marathon.

I'm not saying it could happen to you (anything can happen with marathon luck)...but what if it did?

Aside from that, FF3 is a poor man's FF5 with a ridiculous end-game. You're expected to fight one boss, then explore the final floor of the dungeon, fight 4 more bosses, and then the finale...with no ability to save in-between it all.

IIRC you can abuse the PC version's quick-save to get around that, but there's still the risk of your save being forever broken.

Also..eh..I prefer the NES version of FF3. The DS/PC just feels slow and dull.

FF4 is quite good(best version of FF4 depending on who you talk to), though you'll want to consider a guide for the augments, just to save some headaches later on.

ALTHOUGH.
Keep in mind that the PC version FF3/FF4 is based off the smartphone version. Expect a low frame-rate and awful UI.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches -- MB-4370DD314FC03727 - Taken by milena87. 39 entrants total.

t1419974091z1.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lethal League sounds interesting. Is it fun/deeper than Divekick's two-minutes shtick?

eot

Banned
I'm a bit tempted to pick up FFXIII even though I've never played a Final Fantasy game and the last JRPG I played was Earthbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom