• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Tried a few games from the sale/modbot -

Hero Seige - This one is quite fun! The way you level up and keep your stats across playthroughs meant I could get a bit further each time and the random levels and enemies kept it interesting. I could do without the silly voice overs from your character... Overall would play again.

One Way Heroics - This one I've only played for 10 minutes and I must say I don't get it... First it loads in a minature window where you can barely see your character, and then it never even bothers to teach you about how to play the game. It just dumps you in and kills you immediately when you don't realise that the screen is rolling across to wipe you out.... I played it twice more and I must say I think I'm done with it.

One way heroics is good, but it's essentially a rogue-like so it takes a couple of runs to really get what's going on.

rickyson1

I'm interested in WL2, but curious at the price disparity compared to the Shadowrun games. Does WL2 have a ton more content, better production values, or what justifies the difference in price?

it's probably mostly because wasteland 2 came out like 3 months ago while shadowrun returns came out in 2013 and dragonfall came out in February

the directors cut of dragonfall did come out a few months ago but that's just a standalone version of the dlc with a few improvements(and was actually free for those who already had the dlc when it came out)

oipic

Man I have been so safe this sale. Was hoping for The Forest Sale but 33%..yea pass.

Just one purchase so far (FSX on the first day), and I think the trading restrictions are to blame (or thank?) for that.

It'll probably be ~12 months until several of the games on my radar reach a sale price that'll get close to what they may have been available for via traders this sale. Looking forward to the corresponding holiday sales in 2015!

FoneBone

I have only spent $20 and it wasn't at Steam. Valves loss.

I think I've only spent about $15 on this sale. Only game I bought off Steam was Trine for $1.50; GMG (with 20% coupon) and Nuuvem had better deals.

Still a few days, and still crossing my fingers for a few things (Prince of Persia, Prince of Persiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa), as I do have about $5 from trading card sales to spend, but I do wish they'd get more aggressive about their prices.

womp

Was ready to splurge on Battle Mage Lichdom until a few pages ago when someone mentioned Ziggurat. I splurged on that instead (even though I totally missed the sale the other day) and man, this game is a blast! Love the nod to Heretic. Highly recommended. Runs like butter too!

Anyone played both Testament of Sherlock Holmes and the new Crimes & Punishment? I liked Testament and wondering if C&P is better or the same. $20 is about what I was waiting for.

Testament was more linear and point and clicky like the previous Frogware games The Awakened, Nemesis and VS Jack the Ripper. From the one case of C&P I've just played, C&P is a positive evolution on the Frogware Holmes formula. I enjoyed the first case more than the entirety of Testament and the alternate endings to cases gives some much needed replayability.

Looks fairly nice too.

Card Boy

Banned
Still a few days, and still crossing my fingers for a few things (Prince of Persia, Prince of Persiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa), as I do have about $5 from trading card sales to spend, but I do wish they'd get more aggressive about their prices.

Get Forgotten Sands. Best PoP since Sands of Time, it gets shat on because people think its a movie tie in when it has nothing to do with the movie. One of the best PC ports out there and is butter smooth even on older cards like the 5870 on max graphics. It's up there along with Just Cause 2 and DMC4 as the top PC ports IMO.

chixdiggit

Sneaking through a building full of enemies and stealing their food in This War of Mine is one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had recently.

Damn it's scary. Knowing you'll be killed for good if you're caught is crazy.

Such a great game.
I needed some medical supplies for a hurt comrade so I decided to scope out the hospital. I found an armed soldier guarding a bathroom with somebody sitting on the bathroom floor. I did not have any weapons at the time so I left it be.
Returned after crafting a knife a few days later and sneaked up behind the guard murdering him. Didn't feel bad one bit as this asshole was keeping somebody captive. The bathroom door was barred shut and I had no way of opening it so I left again leaving the prisoner to suffer another night alone.
Returned the next day after crafting a crow bar. Brute forced open the door to save the poor prisoner. Except he wasn't a prisoner at all. He jumps up and yells "Guards Help! Bandits!"
Another soldier appears and peppers me full of buckshot with his shotgun.
Cheers to Alex. You were a great cook and a hell of a friend. You will be missed.

FoneBone

Get Forgotten Sands. Best PoP since Sands of Time, it gets shat on because people think its a movie tie in when it has nothing to do with the movie. One of the best PC ports out there and is butter smooth even on older cards like the 5870 on max graphics. It's up there along with Just Cause 2 and DMC4 as the top PC ports IMO.

I'm buying it + PoP 2008 whenever Steam actually gets them to $2.50 again. Unless GMG or whatever gets there first.

Heres my haul for $50 Steam wallet top up.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Talisman Digital Edition
Garry's Mod
Murdered: Soul Suspect ROW
Shadow Warrior: Special Edition
How to Survive - Storm Warning Edition
Assassin's Creed Black Flag Digital Deluxe Edition
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
Marlow Briggs Steam Store and Retail Key

Thats all for me until next sale.

Mrbob

Was ready to splurge on Battle Mage Lichdom until a few pages ago when someone mentioned Ziggurat. I splurged on that instead (even though I totally missed the sale the other day) and man, this game is a blast! Love the nod to Heretic. Highly recommended. Runs like butter too!

I've been all over these type of games recently. Ziggurat is good fun. I like that a new type of weapon seems to spawn every new game. Looking forward to unlocking some different mages to use.

I bought Hero Siege as well but I wasn't too enamored with it. The combat is too simple and not very satisfying. I'll give it some more time though to see if it wears on me better.

I think Dungeon of the Endless is going to be my roguelike of choice for the near future. Well technically I guess I shouldn't call it a roguelike but it has roguelike elements. I love that game. Lots of different characters to unlock, plenty of special abilities to use in combat. The ability to place and collect resources which you use to level up characters, research items, use items. The crystal run in each dungeon trying to make it out alive where it becomes a mini tower defense game as you escape. The power system in the game which is almost a puzzle in itself since power is required to place resources. Enemies show up from unlit rooms so you have to be wary of where those shards are placed and be prepared to defend them. So many small layers to the game which makes it great.

therapist

So far i only bought speedrunners , crimson clover , battleblock theater and deadlight.

And then i spent 10$ on cs go guns...not sure why i did that really . but theyre nice to look at, at least . :/

At least i didnt buy keys, that is almost always a fucking waste

Sofar I bought:

Divine Divinity
Beyond divinity
Men of War
Two worlds 2 - Pirates of the flying Fortress DLC
Deadlight
ORB
Thief II
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Banished
Dawn of discovery Gold
Supreme Commander 2 - Infinite War Battle Pack One DLC
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite soldier Pack WW DLC
Age of Mythology EX
Shadow Warrior: Special Edition
Lost Plaent: Extreme Condition
Midnight Club 2
Prison Architect
Lili: Child of Geos
Metal Gear Rising
MS Flight Simulator X: SE

and I have $35 left on my Steam wallet.
Um, yea.

So far I've purchased:

- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (A gift from someone who doesn't really know my tastes. :/)
- Cities in Motion 2 DLC
- Europa Universalis IV DLC
- Valiant Hearts
- Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
- Evil Genius
- Octodad
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 + Uprising
- Shadow Warrior
- Burnout Paradise
- Murdered: Soul Suspect
- Super Meat Boy
- Contrast
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Viscera Cleanup Detail
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion + DLC
- Skullgirls + DLC
- Super Time Force Ultra
- Tropico 5 + DLC
- Shadowgate
- A Bird Story
- Mercenary Kings
- Metal Slug 3
- Child of Light
- Overlord Complete Pack
Edit: And Mafia II

Probably looking to pick up some more stuff. This sale's been about picking up a lot of secondary titles for me.

Did Valkyria Chronicles already go on a daily?

Nothing to lose sleep over. It was $5 (25%) off.

-MD-

So far I've purchased:

JZReafw.png

That's all I've picked up so far.

Coldsun

Banned
So far:
Tales from the Borderlands
The Forest
Shovel Knight
Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Marlow Briggs
South Park: The Stick of Truth
OddBoxx
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Season Pass
Dungeon Defenders Eternity x2 (for the wifey)
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
3DMark Advanced
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Additionally, from the gem auction:
Blood 2
The Night of the Rabbit
Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
Blood

MrPanic

So I see the word encore mentioned here a few times. I'm still kinda new to steam sales so someone explain to me what encore means.

gblues

Banned
So I see the word encore mentioned here a few times. I'm still kinda new to steam sales so someone explain to me what encore means.

Usually, the last day of the sale will be a "best of" encore where you have a second chance to get dailies you missed.

Card Boy

Banned
Not played any of the Sherlock Holmes games - what's the best and which of the series is worth picking up?

My advice.

Get the collection.

BoS87.png

Ignore that TAGES warning, it's only on Jack the Ripper and the previous publisher never updated the store page. (it doesn't have TAGES).

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes had terrible character models but was otherwise good, it's worth picking up if your a PnC nutter like me. Haven't played Crimes and Punishments but it looks amazing.

Haven't beaten any of them, but as I understand it:

1. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - 20h game with some choices and alternate routes.
2. Wasteland 2 - 60-70h with tons of choices and alternate routes.

Yup, that is correct. According to Steam I played Wasteland 2 for 63 hours. I've probably idled for a few hours, but it's definitely a 50+ hour game. If I didn't have a ridiculous amount of other games to play I probably would have replayed Wasteland 2 already. That's how much I enjoyed it.

Shepard

Got a lot of games from this sale, things that were on my wishlist for a long time. I'm planning on picking the remaining ones in the last day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom