• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventis

How many cards were we supposed to have gotten if you've voted in every community choice so far?

13? And is tomorrow gonna be the last day of fresh dealz?

MrNelson

Banned
Can someone recommend me a game with great story and playable gameplay below 10 us ?

Spec Ops The Line

I'm going to second Spec Ops, that game was a real surprise and had a story far better than it had any right to be.

I'll also recommend Binary Domain. It and Spec Ops were two of my favorite games from 2012. The story is cheesy (in a good way) and the combat feels great. I would suggest playing with a controller if possible, as the m/kb controls are kind of shit and a pain to fix. Other than that though, it's a fun ride.

Also, it has Big Bo.
2241555-binary_domain_3.jpg

Oh man, the original Carmageddon. What a classic. sogood.gif

You can force the 3dfx Mode to run at native resolution instead of whatever low-ass res it defaults to by messing with the DOSbox configuration.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm looking for 1 or 2 more people to go in on the Leadwerks Game Engine 4-pack. It's $25 each, which is an awesome deal, even if you just want to tinker with simple 3D game development.

Please, if you're interested, PM ME!!!

Altima

I'm going to second Spec Ops, that game was a real surprise and had a story far better than it had any right to be.

I'll also recommend Binary Domain. It and Spec Ops were two of my favorite games from 2012. The story is cheesy (in a good way) and the combat feels great. I would suggest playing with a controller if possible, as the m/kb controls are kind of shit and a pain to fix. Other than that though, it's a fun ride.

Also, it has Big Bo.
2241555-binary_domain_3.jpg

Look interesting but my laptop is not going to run it. (My gaming PC is at dorm while I'm at home :/ )

I expect an old game or indy game with good story and also some party games because my brothers will come back home tomorrow as well.

Altima

Any particular genres?

I mean, the usual suspects would be Witcher 2, Portal 2, Mark of the Ninja, Fallout New Vegas, Dishonored, Batman Arkham Asylum / City, Gunpoint.

Fallout New Vegus is interesting but I'm not a fan of cave and dark place. Should I try it?

Look interesting but my laptop is not going to run it. (My gaming PC is at dorm while I'm at home :/ )

I expect an old game or indy game with good story and also some party games because my brothers will come back home tomorrow as well.
Binary Domain and Spec Ops both run okay on my 3 year old $300 AMD APUGPU Laptop. try it if your laptop has any low end GPU better than intergrated graphics.

MrNelson

Banned

Pick them up for later then ;)

For multiplayer games, I suggest Nidhogg or Divekick. Both are excellent for quick sessions with friends, although they are for a max of two players. Controllers are a must for Nidhogg if you're playing multiplayer, but two can share a keyboard for Divekick.

For an excellent older game, you can never go wrong with Double Fine's Psychonauts.

Edit: Also, It looks like Binary Domain and Spec Ops both have demos, so you can download those to see if your laptop can handle them.

Yoshi88

Everyone: Get YNAB 4. Seriously. It was the first serious non-game software i paid good money for and it was all worth it. I'm using it for 2 years now and it is simple and effective. I never was financially so organized. I didn't change my spendings in general much, rather my spending habits.

Take 30 minutes to get to know the system (no online banking hassle, but serious "on your own budgeting") via the excellent online tutorial and it will be a piece of cake afterwards. The program and philosophy behind it are easy and logical as hell, it will literally educate you in your financial habits and it will do that very well.

I'm sorry if i sound like a vacuum salesman, but i can't recommend this programm enough. It's that good!

Oh yeah, also grab RCT2 and 3 everyone, wohooo!

Videospel

Fallout New Vegus is interesting but I'm not a fan of cave and dark place. Should I try it?

Yes, you're outside in the desert most of the time. There are caves and bunkers too of course, but it keeps things interesting and it feels good once you leave them and see the sun again. I started playing the game last week and have already spent more time on it than I have most games.

Altima

For party games, I recommend either Screencheat or SpeedRunners. Both have local multiplayer as well.

Pick them up for later then ;)

For multiplayer games, I suggest Nidhogg or Divekick. Both are excellent for quick sessions with friends, although they are for a max of two players. Controllers are a must for Nidhogg if you're playing multiplayer, but two can share a keyboard for Divekick.

For an excellent older game, you can never go wrong with Double Fine's Psychonauts.

Edit: Also, It looks like Binary Domain and Spec Ops both have demos, so you can download those to see if your laptop can handle them.

Binary Domain and Spec Ops both run okay on my 3 year old $300 AMD APUGPU Laptop. try it if your laptop has any low end GPU better than intergrated graphics.

Thank you for recommend me those game. I think I will buy 2-3 games from those games you mention.

Definitely. There aren't that many areas that are dark or cave-like, and most of those are optional anyway.

Yes, you're outside in the desert most of the time. There are caves and bunkers too of course, but it keeps things interesting and it feels good once you leave them and see the sun again. I started playing the game last week and have already spent more time on it than I have most games.

One last question for Fallout new vagus, should I buy ultimate edition ?

I only want to complete story mode and so some sidequest. No plan to spend 100+ hr into the game.

pahamrick

Thank you for recommend me those game. I think I will buy 2-3 games from those games you mention.

One last question for Fallout new vagus, should I buy ultimate edition ?

I only want to complete story mode and so some sidequest. No plan to spend 100+ hr into the game.

I think some of the DLC is amazing, and would recommend the ultimate edition for it even if you don't play it right away.

cicero

Yeah i don't understand why some posters seem to want to brag and stroke their e-peen by posting all the games they've bought. We get it...you have a lot of disposable income! Congrats! Maybe the braggarts should have their own thread for these types of posts?

There is a natural desire to show things off that you have acquired, a basic desire for acknowledgement from your peers in whatever subculture you are involved with. There have been specific threads for mentioning what you got during previous Steam sales. There might be one again this year, who knows. It isn't that big of an issue right now though, in my opinion you are making more of it than was necessary.

I get that having a small Steam library and the inability to buy games on the same level as others can be annoying and probably frustrating on some level. I look at it differently, more like the friend activity feed on Steam. I use that friend purchasing info to inform me of titles and deals I know nothing about. I have wishlisted probably 50-75 games and purchased 10+ games during this Holiday season based on posts here about what people purchased or suggested or friend activity feed info. As long as it isn't cluttering up the entire thread, why take it as something inherently offensive?

Jintor

Shantae's a classic, but i've never even heard of that princess game before.

it's not a princess maker, is it?

...i kinda want to play a princess maker

There is a natural desire to show things off that you have acquired, a basic desire for acknowledgement from your peers in whatever subculture you are involved with. There have been specific threads for mentioning what you got during previous Steam sales. There might be one again this year, who knows. It isn't that big of an issue right now though, in my opinion you are making more of it than was necessary.

I get that having a small Steam library and the inability to buy games on the same level as others can be annoying and probably frustrating on some level. I look at it differently, more like the friend activity feed on Steam. I use that friend purchasing info to inform me of titles and deals I know nothing about. I have wishlisted probably 50-75 games and purchased 10+ games during this Holiday season based on posts here about what people purchased or suggested or friend activity feed info. As long as it isn't cluttering up the entire thread, why take it as something inherently offensive?

I can drop hundreds of dollars on games if I so choose. Don't get it twisted. I thought this thread was about steam sales not people's inventory. My bad. I'll just ignore such posts in the future.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-6DEA8D027FD14EE4 - Taken by XChainfireX

Shantae's a classic, but i've never even heard of that princess game before.

it's not a princess maker, is it?

...i kinda want to play a princess maker

Barry and Ross played a bit of it on Game Grumps if you want to see it in action. It's more of a platformer than anything. As mentioned above, if you're looking for a princess maker, Long Live the Queen is that kind of game, and it's awesome.

Tesseract

Banned
I can drop hundreds of dollars on games if I so choose. Don't get it twisted. I thought this thread was about steam sales not people's inventory. My bad. I'll just ignore such posts in the future.

it's all in one, posting your haul has always been a thing

relax breh, vape some skunk

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This has been the cheapest sale for me yet. None of the games I wanted fell enough in price to warrent a purchase at a time when I'm already drowning in games. So, The Walking Dead Season 2 and Mountain (which wasn't even on sale but I don't need a discount from €0.99 in order to justify it) are so far my only two games I've bought.

neotokyo360

I get Dragon Age Origins free from origin store.
I will buy Dragon Age Origins Awakening steam version.
Can I redeem it on Origin Store ?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
This has been the cheapest sale for me yet. None of the games I wanted fell enough in price to warrent a purchase at a time when I'm already drowning in games. So, The Walking Dead Season 2 and Mountain (which wasn't even on sale but I don't need a discount from €0.99 in order to justify it) are so far my only two games I've bought.

It's wierd, I had the same experience. Normally during a steam sale I might spend close to $100 or more. This year I just couldn't justify it. I think it's just that I'm finally satisfied with my backlog now.

pahamrick

Should be someone who doesn't have this and wants it, maybe.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Uplink -- MB-7AE335EA07718842 - Taken by neotokyo360

I have redeemed Steam and retail games onto Origin via their live chat. In fact doing a Steam game is easier than a retail game because their broken CD key form is awful. Managed to get Crysis to redeem but not the expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom