• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is there a chance Skyrim Legendary or USFIV will go any cheaper this sale? Looking for an Xmas present for a friend who just bought a gaming rig.

That GMG code is making MGS V:GZ really attractive, but I'm on the verge of a GPU upgrade, my TV might be having problems, and I've got a backlog to get to.

Jeremy

Here's the thread if you want to read up on it.

Thanks! I am admittedly not a fan of the series but from my perspective it seems like a step below a slap in the face for fans and anyone who purchased the game only to be disappointed with the reveal vs. actual product.

I remember having arguments with my friends that the big games released at the end of the last generation's life cycle were going to return to the current consoles (and that's mostly held true) but I really didn't expect to see anyone attempt to pull that on PC.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp... Flight Simulator X just freeze 100% of the time when I try to load the game. I get to the main menu but can't load any missiong or even open the "Free flight" part.

Water

No sales metagame and no sale badge rewards are depressing me (and my wallet; got tons and tons of sales cards from leveling up and was counting on the sales cards mostly repaying what went into putting the badges together).

To improve the mood, I want to share one of my top-5 single player FPSs of all time.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Water, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself (that wouldn't work anyway, this is a Humble link).
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

F.E.A.R. -- MB-1A90740928D154C4 - Taken by famfrit. 9 entrants total.

t1418969621z1.png

Slayven

Is there a chance Skyrim Legendary or USFIV will go any cheaper this sale? Looking for an Xmas present for a friend who just bought a gaming rig.

I would put vegas money that Skyrim, and the fallouts will be dailies or flash sales. They always are.

mrgone

Word of warning: The TF2 item week-long trading embargo is in place already.

Note: Starting in the next few days, items purchased for Team Fortress 2 either in-game or on the Steam Community Market will not be tradable or marketable for one week after purchase. We are making this change to combat fraud and scams, and to help maintain a safe and healthy item economy within Team Fortress 2.

This reads as though it's something that is going to be happening in the near future, but the restriction is in place already. This is currently very misleading and I'm pretty mad about it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A friend pointed me to this game:
Enclave
Apparently a brutally difficult hack-and-slash action-RPG... from 2003. Originally released on Xbox and PC and later on Wii. I never heard of this, but it sounds like it could be up my alley. Only $1.37 CAD right now, I doubt it'll go lower (but I'll still "wait for the dailies" on principle :p), but despite some middling critic reviews, it's just pennies, so I'm tempted to try it... anyone on GAF know this one?

Enclave
Apparently a brutally difficult hack-and-slash action-RPG... from 2003. Originally released on Xbox and PC and later on Wii. I never heard of this, but it sounds like it could be up my alley. Only $1.37 CAD right now, I doubt it'll go lower (but I'll still "wait for the dailies" on principle :p), but despite some middling critic reviews, it's just pennies, so I'm tempted to try it... anyone on GAF know this one?

I don't know if it's still active, but you can get the key along with other games for free by signing up on www.dlh.net then clicking on the "Profile/Keys" tab and claiming the games.

EDIT: Nevermind. "Commander - Conquest Of The Americas" is free there if you want.

~Kinggi~

Banned
MGS R actually does have a problem for people that play on a TV. Im forced to run it in windowed mode and then us that fullscreenizer tool to get rid of the borders. Seems to be an HDMI problem they never fixed which forces it to run at 24hz in fullscreen mode. Shit sucks.

Haunted

Enclave
It's a classic. Third person melee game. Comparable titles include Severance: Blade of Darkness, Rune, Jedi Knight (in gameplay, not setting, obviously :D) or more recently, the Souls series. If you like any of these, I think you'll like Enclave.

It hasn't aged super well with the 3D, but still has some pretty solid lighting and clean IQ on PC.

Teeth

Enclave

It is ugly as sin, art wise, not just tech, and has incredibly rote level design. I didn't make it far before giving up out of boredom though. Maybe it gets better.

eDIT: ha, listen to Haunted, he'd know better than I.

Lomax

Enclave

It's been heavily bundled and even given away for free. In fact, I probably still have an extra key laying around, I'll PM you.

So what is the likelihood that South Park will go 75% off or better?

I really want it.

It will be 66% off on Steam (that's what it was during the fall sale). Seems like a good chance it will be on GMG for 66% off plus a voucher though, which would put it in the 75% off range.

Unicorn

I just realized that Elite isn't on Steam. I'm also kicking myself I never dipped in for the KS. I mean, that was the one game I was down to KS, but the early days of the campaign left a lot to be desired and i think some of the first things they shared before the deadline left me even more disappointed. Now it's out and is exactly what I was wanting and waiting for back when it was still just an Elite 4 rumor in the mid 2000's.
LLShC.gif

Anustart

I'm not gonna shy away when my opinion changes. I didn't know that MGR forced into 24 fps when played on a tv. Booted it back up and sure enough my tv reported 1920x1080 @ 24hz.

Switched to window then back to fullscreen gives me 60 fps and the game plays so much better. I can see myself playing this one through now that I fixed that silly problem that I should have known about.

ZeroX03

Banned
I bought Metal Gear Rising and The Stanley Parable today. Not really feeling MGR too much at the moment. Hopefully it will grow on me.

Like most Platinum titles it can take a while. Your first playthrough is really just to screw around, unlock stuff and learn the levels. The repeat playthroughs for score attacking is the real meat.

Teeth

I bought Metal Gear Rising and The Stanley Parable today. Not really feeling MGR too much at the moment. Hopefully it will grow on me.
Learn to parry early and do it often. Also, buy the dodge upgrade as soon as you can and learn to use it when enemies flash yellow. The biggest problem is the camera and offscreen enemies launching rockets; take them out first.

Also, you can still parry if it looks like you are in hit stun, so if you are being comboed by gangs of enemies, keep trying to parry.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's a classic. Third person melee game. Comparable titles include Severance: Blade of Darkness, Rune, Jedi Knight (in gameplay, not setting, obviously :D) or more recently, the Souls series. If you like any of these, I think you'll like Enclave.

It hasn't aged super well with the 3D, but still has some pretty solid lighting and clean IQ on PC.
It is ugly as sin, art wise, not just tech, and has incredibly rote level design. I didn't make it far before giving up out of boredom though. Maybe it gets better.

eDIT: ha, listen to Haunted, he'd know better than I.
Thanks for the info. I am not difficult to please graphics-wise, and I'm even more tolerant for older games so graphics shouldn't be a problem. Art-wise, I'm more of a critic, but I guess I'll see if I'll like it or not, the screenshots seemed fine but that's obviously a small sample.

I've never played those games listed except the Souls games which I adore. For the price I think it's worth checking out --

It's been heavily bundled and even given away for free. In fact, I probably still have an extra key laying around, I'll PM you.
Oh wow. Sure, thanks! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom